You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Rim Cleaning
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-05 9:47 AM (#1519)
Subject: Rim Cleaning

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Has anyone come up with an easier way to clean the rear rim? I have thought about attaching my tractor bucket and a chain to it and lift it off the ground. I thought the dealer mechanic said the rear tire would be an easy change, pull a pin and the whole swingarm pivots downward to clear everything. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Then, I went back to the dealer and he informed me I needed to remove a bag and etc, etc. I said OH. So, in the meantime, I lay on the ground get about 1/4 of the rim clean, get up move bike to expose next 1/4, lay back down, wash again, repeat 4 to 5 times, till done.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RedRider
Posted 2007-11-05 11:13 AM (#1520 - in reply to #1519)
Subject: Re: Rim Cleaning

Visionary

Pete would lift his bike on a MC/ATV lift. Once in the air you can spin the tire and clean as needed. Guess you could hook the logging chain to the bucket and get the same results?
tralphaz
Posted 2007-11-05 11:45 AM (#1522 - in reply to #1520)

Tourer

Checking the air in the rear tire is a pain in the ass also..........
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-05 12:46 PM (#1525 - in reply to #1519)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
You mean they make one of these: MC/ATV lift.
g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-05 1:26 PM (#1530 - in reply to #1525)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
I have a jack, and a stand. I always have the Kaw on it, but I have only had the Goldwing on
there once. I should try it with the Victory, and take some pics. If the Vision hits the floor, it
is all youenzes fault. (o:

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/HerbGP/VN2000/stand_5.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0903/HerbGP/VN2000/03.jpg[/IMG]

Herb
g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-05 1:29 PM (#1531 - in reply to #1525)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
P.S.

Don't use the soaped SOS pads. They are a little too rough.

Edited by g1nomad 2007-11-05 1:36 PM
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-05 2:47 PM (#1537 - in reply to #1519)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
You have tip over protection. Go do it. Let me know how well it works I was thinking of going and getting one.
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-05 4:02 PM (#1540 - in reply to #1537)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
There are a lot of motorcycle lifts on the market, and fairly cheap. I got mine at Sears for $89 plus tax. It is good for cleaning bike and changing oil.
Rebel
Posted 2007-11-05 6:06 PM (#1543 - in reply to #1519)
Subject: RE: Rim Cleaning

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
I use a Motorcycle jack to clean mine. Sears has a decent one on sale this week for $59.99. Click here for details.
DesertJim
Posted 2007-11-05 7:11 PM (#1545 - in reply to #1519)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Has anyone come up with an easier way to clean the rear rim? I have thought about attaching my tractor bucket and a chain to it and lift it off the ground. I thought the dealer mechanic said the rear tire would be an easy change, pull a pin and the whole swingarm pivots downward to clear everything. I haven't figured out how to do that yet. Then, I went back to the dealer and he informed me I needed to remove a bag and etc, etc. I said OH. So, in the meantime, I lay on the ground get about 1/4 of the rim clean, get up move bike to expose next 1/4, lay back down, wash again, repeat 4 to 5 times, till done.

Pollo -- Just have your wife do this stuff!!! and- have her let you know when she is finished so you can take a ride!!!
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-05 8:50 PM (#1550 - in reply to #1519)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
seems like jacking it up, trans in N, would solve the problem. Thanks for the advice and pricing on the jack, gang. As soon as I have my Vision, I will be going out to get one.
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-05 10:04 PM (#1559 - in reply to #1519)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Hhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha, thats the best laugh I've had all day. Let my wife do it. I musta picked up the wrong one at the wedding store.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-05 10:29 PM (#1560 - in reply to #1519)

Visionary

So Cal
What about lift points? Since the motor is a structural part of the frame, and no frame underneath, does the owners manual specify where to lift the bike? Just curious.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-06 4:04 AM (#1566 - in reply to #1519)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
first of all, pollolittle got ripped off! his wife won't clean his scooter. is it to late for a return, and get a new model? I had my wife doing that kinda stuff, but then she gave birth. now i have a teenager who knows how to clean the bike while i drink beer and sit in a chair and watch...umm supervise. (its my dream, let me expound!) My girls love to ride along, and I enjoy them, as long as the keep the fly trap shut. I tried turning the old lady in, but she had 20yrs of married miles on her, and it wasn't worth the trade in. Blue book is not good on them. The new ones cost more these days, they don't know how to handle the road ahead, and tend to leave the road if you don't give them the maximum maintenance. It was cheaper in the long run to keep the old girl. She does get me a beer once in while....
ez chair
Posted 2007-11-06 7:55 AM (#1576 - in reply to #1519)

Cruiser

Maine
The rear wheel does come out easy. You remove the lower shock bolt. Lower the swing arm and pull axle. Wheel slides out. No need to remove any body parts. just installed the billet wheels with crome pully. Great look! To expensive! I have the Sears jack leftover from my Hammer days. the Vision fits, but is diffinately more tippy because of weight.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-06 8:36 AM (#1583 - in reply to #1519)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
is there lift points? it looks like there is still a "lift point" area just below the engine
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-06 12:50 PM (#1594 - in reply to #1576)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
EZ, did you put on the chrome wheels that are in the Victory catalog? They are expensive! I'm thinking about having the stock wheels chromed.
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-06 1:26 PM (#1597 - in reply to #1519)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Where would you get the rims chromed? I have been looking all over the web, but I was hoping to find someone close. I thought maybe even Automobile restorers might have a place to get it done. No luck, yet.
Miles
Posted 2007-11-06 3:07 PM (#1599 - in reply to #1519)

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Insure whomever you have chrome the wheels that they know how to chrome wheels. I do not have first hand knowledge, but I understand that chroming wheels is not the same process as other parts due to balance, weight, and stress issues.
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-06 5:49 PM (#1602 - in reply to #1599)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I have talked to my dealer in Houston and they have a chromer in California that does all their custom chroming. They do show bike wheels and the dealer has had experience with them in the past, the dealer also sells Big Dogs. There are also other dealers in the Houston area that you can get your wheel chromed. There is even one that does an exchange program, bring your wheels in and take out a chrome set, now that is on the Victory bikes, not the Vision, yet. I would contact your dealers in your area to see about this. I probably wouldn't do it unless it is through a Victory dealer, unless you really know what your getting.
mike s
Posted 2007-11-06 6:54 PM (#1606 - in reply to #1519)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
I'll likely have my stock wheels polished and powdercoated. I had the polished wheels on my Jackpot coated and they turned out very nice. Cleaning was a breeze too, as all that was needed was a quick wipe and a hose. The smooth surface didn't grab all the grime, so they didn't get as dirty as fast, either.
ez chair
Posted 2007-11-06 7:36 PM (#1608 - in reply to #1519)

Cruiser

Maine
yes I have the Victory chrome billets. They come complete with bearings and seals. They are a little pricey but are definately a first class product. The cast wheel is not a good choice for croming as it will have a "krinkle" look after chroming which can leed to peeling. This was I understand the main problem with chroming the front forks. I saw the crome forks on the factory reps test bike and I agree they looked cheep. Victory is right in coming up with a better looking chrome fork.
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-06 9:47 PM (#1621 - in reply to #1519)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I thought about powder coating my rims black to match the bike. But I noticed the ones that are the front page of this site and really dig those rims. I can't really tell the paint or stickers on the bike though. Whose bike is that anyway?
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-07 2:33 AM (#1652 - in reply to #1519)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
its not mine~! powder coating black? that should look awesome, and less expensive.
Visioneer
Posted 2007-11-07 6:06 AM (#1655 - in reply to #1621)

Cruiser

Ann Arbor, MI
pollolittle - 2007-11-06 9:47 PM

But I noticed the ones that are the front page of this site and really dig those rims. Whose bike is that anyway?

If you place your cursor on top of the picture for a few seconds it'll state "Cory Ness on his custom Vision".
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™