You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

16" front rim - Thin may be in but FATS where it's at!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

rebelce
Posted 2014-07-26 7:14 AM (#163619)
Subject: 16" front rim - Thin may be in but FATS where it's at!

Cruiser

I was asked to post this over here , here's what I've done. A few years ago I had a Roadstar with a 150 80 16 on the front and really liked it. It didn't follow tar snaked, fall into ruts in the road and was very stable at all speeds, easier in fact to handle at low speeds on rough terrain than the Vision 8-Ball I now have. I visit friends and family down in Arkansas and Oklahoma where the roads are dirt, graded occasionally and covered with gravel and rocks ranging in size from peas to tennis balls. They will toss you to the ground in a heartbeat. So the gears began to turn and being a hot rodder, if a little is good, a lot is better. I found a 5X15 Arlen Ness, 3-piece rear rim on ebay and looked, posted and scrounged for two years trying to find hubs, natha! Luckily a friend down in Arkansas came to my rescue and machined up a set of hubs and I had the whole thing powder coated gloss black. At this point, there was a grand total of three hundred bucks wrapped up in the project and I didn't know how well it would work or if it even would. So to keep costs down a radial Shinko 180 60 16 SE890 Journey Tour was selected to run and it is in the direction the arrows tell you to run it. It is 7.03 inches wide and 24.49 inches high, just fitting the stock fender and lowering the front of the bike apx. 3/8 inch.  A set of SKF 6304's finished it off. Putting it all together I was a little dismayed, Dave had made the left and right hubs symmetrical with the disk spacing being stock at 6.375", the spacers are different sizes! and the bearings on the stock left side are inset farther. Momentary panic! Measured everything again, seemed OK. Slipped it right up between the forks, fit fine, axle went right in. Cool, Now just put on the disks and $%#@&!!&!! they won't go on! There's not enough room between the rim and the disk. Loosening the disks and tipping them out I was able to slip the calipers on, bolt them to the fork then retighten the disk bolts. Gave the rim a spin and it was free, did the same to the other side with the same results. The different spacers must keep mechanics from mounting the rim reversed. Checked all clearances around the rim, kissed my wife and took off. The first thing I noticed was how much lighter the steering was, I could literally handle it one handed at low speeds on most any road surface. The roads all seemed smoother. At higher speeds it's extremely stable. I'll have to go back down to the dragon to fill you in on that aspect. But so far alls well.  Arlen Ness also makes 3.5 X 16 rims for those who wish a traditional front tire.

(03.jpg)

(04.jpg)

(06.jpg)

(07.jpg)

(08.jpg)

(09.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 03.jpg (91KB - 2 downloads)
Attachments 04.jpg (88KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 06.jpg (92KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 07.jpg (80KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 08.jpg (82KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments 09.jpg (71KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Rollin'
Posted 2014-07-26 8:20 AM (#163623 - in reply to #163619)
Subject: Re: 16" front rim - Thin may be in but FATS where it's at!

Iron Butt

, WI
Nice job!! I like the look.
JSP
Posted 2014-07-26 8:40 AM (#163624 - in reply to #163619)

Cruiser

on the edge of Los Angeles
The rim looks like an OE 2009 rear gives the front a look of an older police bike (all good)
I like you mounting of the driving lights too.
willtill
Posted 2014-07-26 8:41 AM (#163625 - in reply to #163619)

Visionary

Central Maryland
I like that! A lot!
rwilly
Posted 2014-07-26 8:49 AM (#163626 - in reply to #163619)

Tourer

seattle, wa
Thanks for the review.
It gives the front end a burly look, I like it.
SteveS
Posted 2014-07-26 12:32 PM (#163628 - in reply to #163619)
Subject: RE: 16" front rim - Thin may be in but FATS where it's at!

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
Looks bad ass. Trying to visualize it polished aluminum on a colored bike. It looks killer with yours being all blacked out. Good job!
efd158
Posted 2014-07-26 6:58 PM (#163633 - in reply to #163619)

Cruiser

Westchester Co., NY
That is seriously sweet looking. Please keep us updated after your ride to the Dragon.
rebelce
Posted 2016-01-10 4:38 PM (#177195 - in reply to #163619)

Cruiser

Well, rode the Dragon and have done a couple of trips to California from Connecticut, once coming back through Colorado. All I can say is the front tire still looks new with 13,000 miles on it and it handles great.
Savage1
Posted 2016-01-13 9:30 PM (#177219 - in reply to #163619)

Puddle Jumper

I really like your fat front end, I've put a 160 on mine..

Edited by Savage1 2016-01-13 9:35 PM

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (59KB - 1 downloads)
Ferta McDaniels
Posted 2016-01-14 9:05 AM (#177220 - in reply to #177219)

Puddle Jumper

Okeana, OH United States
What mod is that on your headlight? It looks like your cyclops is blacked out.
Savage1
Posted 2016-01-14 10:12 PM (#177227 - in reply to #163619)

Puddle Jumper

I got it as part of the deal with the new bike.
I'm pretty sure it's a Victory accessory, although I have taken to it with a can of plastidip and blacked out some of it.
V92SC
Posted 2016-01-15 7:42 AM (#177233 - in reply to #163619)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
McDaniels is that the stock 19 in her on the front? Can you elaborate on the tyre make and direction mounted? I like the look and I don't have a master machinist friend so the 16 is cost prohibitive for me. Than in advance.
V92SC
Posted 2016-01-15 6:42 PM (#177240 - in reply to #163619)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I meant to direct the above comment to Savage 1. Sorry for any confusion, but I am wanting to know.
Savage1
Posted 2016-01-15 6:59 PM (#177241 - in reply to #163619)

Puddle Jumper

This is from my post on the Vog reviewing the 160 front tyre..

The motorcycling experience for me is riding swiftly and smoothly through a nice set of corners, I couldn't give a rats arse about dyno charts and traffic light racing.

Had the stock Dunlop's and was currently running Avon Cobras, I found the Avons a bit twitchy.

I went for the Road Pilot 3 160/60 as I have had good results with the Michelins on my GSA Beema.

As discussed elsewhere fitment was not an issue, my set up is stock guards with factory bracket fix, the tire was mounted reverse rotation.

Running this tire dose affect the handling as the Landbarge now needs a little more persuasion when hustling through the bends.

PROS

Looks the business.

Slow full lock turns more stable.

Holds a line better in fast sweepers.

CONS

Surprisingly the floor boards seem to touch down a little earlier, I thought it would be the opposite with the slightly taller tyre.

When going into a corner a little hot and applying some late front brake the bike tends to want to stand up a little in the corner.

As mentioned above the bike dose need a bit more rider input when having a good scratch through switch back corners.

A few kilometres less per tank.

Regarding the headlight, it's a perspex cover that I blacked out, unfortunately here in Australia we don't get the lower centre light on the Vision so blacking out that area of the light doesn't affect it's operation.

Edited by Savage1 2016-01-15 7:26 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™