You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Plugging a tire (Son of a Bitch) !!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

willtill
Posted 2014-08-03 9:08 PM (#163933)
Subject: Plugging a tire (Son of a Bitch) !!!

Visionary

Central Maryland
I have had my fair share of motorcycle tire flats; on the many bikes I have owned (past and present).

Tonight, while looking over my Vision... to my horror... I spotted a screw embedded in my BRAND NEW $200.00 REAR Dunlop E3 tire $200.00 dollars down the drain (not including mounting)? I think not!!!

I have long been a proponent of using tire plugs; in the place of taking a tire off a vehicle (especially a pain in the ass with a motorcycle) and patching it from the inside. From my similar past events with tire punctures; as long as it is within the 2/3rds center of the tread on a motorcycle tire; you are "Good To Go" with a plugging solution (as long as the puncture is clean and devoid of other damage to the tire carcass).

So I decided to take the time to document the repair of my rear tire on my Vision; in the interest of those whom are "leery" of performing such a repair...but I assure that if you are out in the boondocks... as long as you have a $10.00 tire plugging kit, a sharp knife, and an air pump... you shall not be stranded for long... if you and your bike are an unfortunate victim of a flat.

This procedure is for Tubeless tires only (but you all knew that )

Screw in tire. Son of a bitch! :

Damned screw "screwed" halfway out; with power drill (didn't want to just pull it out)

The rat bastard exposed:

The tire repair kit that I ***ALWAYS*** carry... Indeed... this has saved my ass before... with trucks and motorcycle tires:

The operating equipment:

The rasp in the hole; ran it trough only once, since the wound was seemingly clean and 90 degree lateral to the tread:

Tire plug ready to push into the puncture; in the exact orientation; of how the screw was removed:

Tire plug pushed 2/3rd's into the tread; just before extracting the plugging tool:

Tire plugging tool removed; excess tire plugging material remains:

Cutting off excess plugging materiel with wife's borrowed kitchen knife (had to sneak that back into the kitchen):

She's now holding at 42psi and... this plug will outlast the life of this tire:

Be advised that I have run plugged tires on motorcycles; to the end life of the tire itself. meaning... if you do this correctly and within the parameters of a eligible tire plugging situation.

Of course I expect the omnipresent forum "naysayers" to this post... and how you will burst into flame and crash into a smoking heap of blood, twisted metal and gore... but then again... they never have done it either... have they?

Hope this post helps others.

Edited by willtill 2014-08-03 9:15 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
DSmith
Posted 2014-08-03 11:23 PM (#163934 - in reply to #163933)
Subject: Re: Plugging a tire (Son of a Bitch) !!!

Cruiser

Bainville, & Mesa, AZ, MT
Good post, I have used the same kit, works great. It even works on ATV tires.
varyder
Posted 2014-08-04 4:03 AM (#163935 - in reply to #163933)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I've done a few times. The last time, it started to leak before the end of life the tire so I shoved a second plug in there and finished it out without a hitch.
Pops
Posted 2014-08-04 5:08 AM (#163936 - in reply to #163935)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
I use the Stop-N-Go mushroom plugs.

Been using them like....forever.

(stopgolesswords.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments stopgolesswords.jpg (129KB - 4 downloads)
lennyb
Posted 2014-08-04 4:33 PM (#163957 - in reply to #163933)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
How do those wandering screws always find a new tire? Glad the fix was quick and effective.

I've tried the same kit with mixed results. I carry the Stop-N-Go kit (never used yet) but also found Dynaplug is back in business (available on Amazon). This is my absolute favorite for ease to use and is now in the saddlebag also.
diamonbird
Posted 2014-08-05 6:45 AM (#163972 - in reply to #163933)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I put Ride-On in my tires and hopefully I won't have to worry about that kind of stuff anymore... I'll tell ya this though this stuff really smooths out the ride.
I have used and still have the plug kit and it stays in the bike all the time.
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-08-07 2:16 PM (#164048 - in reply to #163936)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
Pops - 2014-08-04 6:08 AM

I use the Stop-N-Go mushroom plugs.

Been using them like....forever.

That kit right there is the business, man. Getting the hole reamed out enough on a tightly-belted tire is kind of a pain, but those plugs are good stuff. I've used both kinds a bunch of times on various vehicles, too.
Tom13
Posted 2014-08-08 1:56 AM (#164064 - in reply to #163933)

Cruiser

Hot damned that isn't what my old HD dealer recommended......... Imagine that.....LOL My only foreseeable problem would be I run tire beads to balance my tires, might have an issue with that. But in a pinch still a great idea!! Thanks for the post Willtill.

Edited by Tom13 2014-08-08 1:57 AM
wingit3611
Posted 2014-08-08 3:48 PM (#164069 - in reply to #163933)

Cruiser

I used Stop & go on a burgman 400 scooter tire an it had a slow leak afterward. loose 10 to 15 pds in 2 or 3 months. the tire was stiff anuff you could ride it and not really tell. Put some Ride-on in it. stopped the slow leak and really smoothed it out. You could tell by runnibg on the center stand up to 6K
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-08-08 6:17 PM (#164072 - in reply to #163933)

Visionary

The big trick is lot of glue and its the rear so I would run it my self
BrandonM7
Posted 2014-08-09 12:52 PM (#164087 - in reply to #164069)

Cruiser

LaGrange, GA
wingit3611 - 2014-08-08 4:48 PM

I used Stop & go on a burgman 400 scooter tire an it had a slow leak afterward. loose 10 to 15 pds in 2 or 3 months. the tire was stiff anuff you could ride it and not really tell. Put some Ride-on in it. stopped the slow leak and really smoothed it out. You could tell by runnibg on the center stand up to 6K

Just unlucky, probably. I've used those plugs not just on bikes, but in our truck tires - F150 and F250 diesel. Front tire of a F250 PSD is carrying a lot of load and we haven't had any leak down.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™