You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Windshield stress cracks
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Lone Ranger
Posted 2007-11-05 1:09 PM (#1527)
Subject: Windshield stress cracks

Tourer

Cleveland, GA

I noticed this morning that there were several stress cracks around one of the mounting bolts on the bottom of my Vision's factory standard windshield.  The dealership said this was the second one they have had already (out of about six or so that they have sold).

So, everyone go out and check your windshields.  Let me know if this is a widespread problem.  By the way - the standard windshields are currently not available.  I guess they are all going on brand-new bikes for shipping. 

The other rider didn't wait - he went ahead and ordered a tall windshield and only paid the $40 or so difference between the standard and the upgraded size.  It took just four days to get here.  I think I'll wait for the standard, though.  I kind of like the idea of a taller windshield when I want it raised, but then it would be taller when it is down, too, and I like the shield all the way down as far as I can get it most of the time.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-05 1:19 PM (#1529 - in reply to #1527)
Subject: Re: Windshield stress cracks

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
The windshield is just plain cr@p on the Vision. It is a distorted joke.
It will be replaced by a NON-Victory shield soon. Looking through
the Memphis Shades on the way into work this morning, on the V2K,
I was saying to myself "Now this is how a windshield should look."

ez chair
Posted 2007-11-06 8:04 AM (#1577 - in reply to #1527)

Cruiser

Maine
How many miles on the bikes before the cracks show. After riding 100 miles or more there is plastic snapping noise when bike cools. Usually only one loud snap. Haven't found source yet.
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-06 8:30 AM (#1579 - in reply to #1529)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I noticed the distortion last weekend when I test rode in Houston. I raised the shield a little and it was better, most distortion seemed to be at the top. I curious on the cracking shields, did the dealer say why it was cracked?
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-06 8:33 AM (#1581 - in reply to #1527)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
i hope this is one of the quick fixes victory is working on prior to my pre-order arrival. I have heard of the distortion in a previous post.
Lone Ranger
Posted 2007-11-06 9:14 AM (#1586 - in reply to #1579)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA

VisionTex - 2007-11-06 7:30 AM I noticed the distortion last weekend when I test rode in Houston. I raised the shield a little and it was better, most distortion seemed to be at the top. I curious on the cracking shields, did the dealer say why it was cracked?

The dealer didn't know why it was cracked.  Said it couldn't be from over-torquing.  I ride with the windshield in the lowest position most of the time, so it shouldn't be from buffetting or anything, since there is less for the wind to hit.

A friend pointed it out to me yesterday morning when I was showing the bike to him.  I have 1,400 miles on it.  Don't know anything about the history of the other bike with the stress cracks problem, but I heard they were very significant.  Mine has two or three cracks about one inch each.

Lone Ranger
Posted 2007-11-06 9:20 AM (#1587 - in reply to #1579)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA

I think the distortion at the top of the windshield is simply due to optic properties.  This windshield is much thicker than the Memphis Shades windshield on my Honda Shadow and has more curve in it for aerodynamics. The very thickness of it causes distortion and the amount of curve of it does, too. Since the top of the stock windshield comes to my eye level, I am much more aware of the distortion.

g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-06 9:42 AM (#1588 - in reply to #1587)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
Lone Ranger - 2007-11-06 9:20 AM

I think the distortion at the top of the windshield is simply due to optic properties.  This windshield is much thicker than the Memphis Shades windshield on my Honda Shadow and has more curve in it for aerodynamics. The very thickness of it causes distortion and the amount of curve of it does, too. Since the top of the stock windshield comes to my eye level, I am much more aware of the distortion.

I find the Vision's windshield thinner then both my Memphis & my after market "Tulsa" on the
Goldwing. I don't care how much you bend either one of these, it does not cause a distortion.
The distortion in my Vision's windshield is head to toe, and not in straight lines. Little flat spot
here, there, up over this way, etc.. The reflection of the console in the Visions windshield is the
first clue something is not right. Also, my prescription polarized sunglasses bring out the
rainbows in the Visions shield, but not in the Memphis or Tulsa?

Hey, not trying to be negative, I just don't like my windshield.
Lone Ranger
Posted 2007-11-06 9:51 AM (#1590 - in reply to #1588)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA

Nomad - Looks like you and I are having entirely separate experiences.  I have no north-south distortion; just east-west along the top of the shield.  I have no other problem with it when I wear my prescription polarized sunglasses. 

SongFan
Posted 2007-11-06 10:14 AM (#1591 - in reply to #1527)
Subject: RE: Windshield stress cracks

Visionary

Memphis

Here's a good shot of the horizontal distortion.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Galleries_IndividualPhoto.aspx?Gallery=1098&Main=12&Sub=22&Image=33066&PostBack=1&Media=1#

VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-06 12:58 PM (#1595 - in reply to #1588)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I already plan to have the center console painted black or some darker color due to reflection. I had to do that with my Kingpin, the gas cap was painted silver and it reflected onto the windshield when the sun was at my back.
luzzy
Posted 2007-11-06 6:24 PM (#1604 - in reply to #1527)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
No stress cracks here at 1400 miles. The distortion I see is only at the uppermost part of the windscreen - where it's curved. Looking through anything curved will do that. Personally I HATE looking through a windshield and I notice on the Vision when I raise the shield up about 2-3 inches from bottom the wind starts going over my head. 95% of the time - I have it so that I see over the top edge of it. I suppose they make different sizes so everyone can find a comfortable height in the top position. Otherwise you have plenty of adj with the power up/down to make it just right for ya.
jama
Posted 2007-11-06 8:58 PM (#1613 - in reply to #1591)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Songfan said:

Location: Memphis Here's a good shot of the horizontal distortion.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/Galleries_IndividualPhoto.aspx?Galler...

I noticed this very picture back in Aug. or Sept. and mentioned this distortion to the Victory people at the Dallas Demo ride. They said: "we'll have to look at that pic and see what you're talking about." I tried to see the same in the bikes that we rode and the display one too. Couldn't really see it like in the picture. Looks like they're going to have another "supplier problem" on this one. Where do they find these suppliers anyway? I expect a "Rolex" windshield on mine. If it's like the one in the pic, I'll expect it replaced under warranty (over and over until they buy a good one).

cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-06 9:00 PM (#1615 - in reply to #1527)

Visionary

So Cal
Are these cracks with the power windshield, or the fixed one?
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-07 2:46 AM (#1654 - in reply to #1527)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
Doesn't the dealership put the windshield on? Purhaps they are giving it to much torque? Some folks don't have the cracks, some do.
tralphaz
Posted 2007-11-07 5:14 PM (#1673 - in reply to #1613)

Tourer

I'm thinking the image with the horizontal distortion must be the exception to the rule, my test ride had distortion in the top 1" of the windshield and it's the same with my Vision Street, there is no horizontal distortion.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-08 8:17 AM (#1693 - in reply to #1527)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
i would expect some distortion with the shield, i wouldn't expect stress cracks. my guess is someone has over torqued. that looks like a pretty thick peice of plexiglass, which shouldn't crack, and will distort.
WillieByte
Posted 2007-12-01 2:51 AM (#2405 - in reply to #1527)

Cruiser

Plainfield Illinois
Yeah yeah. I know this is an old thread. So I'm a little behind. Big fn deal.
I did manage to dig up a picture I took a couple months ago of a Vision windshield.
And I'm not makin any promises regarding pygmies either.
This site is dedicated to Visions. Then again, maybe I'm seein things.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-12-01 3:00 AM (#2407 - in reply to #1527)

Visionary

So Cal
Im just glad it has a windshield. Left in the rain this morning, windshield up, seat and hand grip heaters on high, no problem. only time I got wet is when I had to stop for traffic light. People at work thought I was crazy ( I plead the 5th). I just smiled.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2007-12-01 5:48 PM (#2415 - in reply to #1527)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
No stress cracks on mine. My wrench must have torqued it just right. I do however have a problem with the shield having many "rainbows" in it. I'm sure they're caused by my polarized prescription glasses. I have no problem at night w/ my clear lensed glasses. I have the 2" taller windshield & am exploring other options for a taller one. I always look through my windshields and feel like I should get an even taller one to be completely comfortable with it. Luke
devilboy
Posted 2007-12-01 6:24 PM (#2417 - in reply to #1527)

Cruiser

Central Florida
I have 4700 Miles on mine and no problems with cracks or distortion. The cracks seem to be a direct result of windshield being overtightened. It seems to be in bunches by certain dealerships. Regarding distortion, it has to do with how tall you are and how you sit. The standard shield doesnt seem to have the problem(for me at least) but the taller shield is worse.. Just my 2 cents.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™