You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cold Surging & Exhaust Popping + Power Commander 5
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-09-15 4:42 PM (#165899)
Subject: Cold Surging & Exhaust Popping + Power Commander 5

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
This is what I have done to solved my Exhaust popping and Cold start slow speed surging? A lot of people probably already know how to correct this.. I?ve had exhaust popping for a while now. It has recently over the past few months gotten worse. Then I noticed for the first time ever. I was getting cold starts that surged? It kind of freaked me out at first..

I started to read about other victory owners on other models that were talking about the same issues I had.. I never was able to find the answer that would work for me. Here is what I have thoroughly checked,

Exhaust gaskets (verified by multi means)

Checked intake for misaligned or torn boots

Cleaned throttle body

I then have done multi IAC resets following the instructions in the Victory Service manual. The Iac reset helped with the cold surges.. But only by about 60-80% and then it was always a short term solution.. It did very little for my exhausting popping on decel..

A few days ago I had enough of this popping.. So I connected my laptop in my trunk (via Long usb cable I left plugged in all the time) to my Power commander 5 & Auto tune . I really didn?t know what I was going to do, I was just hoping to discover something. And for me with my situations I did find out something..

With the auto tune it turned out my bike idling had a much Leaner front cylinder than the rear.. I know in a lot of cases this is considered normal to have the rear richer than the front. But here is what I discovered.. I started the bike cold, the rear cylinder would start at 14.2 A/F ratio and instantly dip down to 13.6 .. The Front cylinder started at 15.2 and would slowly climb to as high as 17.0.

I left the bike idle for some time as I wanted to see if the Air Fuel Ratio would change with time & change with engine temperature. What I noticed for me was, the bike would idle slightly rough. You could see this with the tach on the Vision.. The tach needle would have slight dips and slight bounces, along with audible tones of what appears to be very little ?pops?.
That was when I noticed the A/F ratio was so different between the two.. By the way, I was watching this all happen at 930-1050 rpm?s. so against the instructions of power commander, I altered my idle.. With using the Auto Tune I told the front cylinder ONLY to function at 14.0 (roughly around the area the read cylinder would stay (13.6-14.2). So I saved this into the power commanders map and turned the bike off for a long while to let it cool down?

Hours later I fired the Vision back up and noticed a instantly smoother idle ! I let it idle for a while just to see if it would stay this way, and it did ! Smooth idle, no needle bouncing, no popping at idle.. I then verified the A/F ratio with my laptop . It was as I set it? I took it for a ride and the cold surge was gone & since then I have ridden a few days, one of them being a 41 F early morning ride.. Under the old circumstances I would have been bucking like I was riding a bull at 41F .. (ok maybe not that bad, lol )

Now since the change to the idle mixture the cold starts are strong and the idle is smooth.. More importantly the surging is 100% GONE !

Now to the exhaust popping?. What I did to the idle didn't do anything to my exhaust decel popping.. So what I did in the standard Power Commander map was,

http://2wheeltuesday.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/power-commander...

Under the grey section with all (0?S) and starting at 1500 rpms all the way down, I put a number 15 in there for Both cylinders, and saved it to the map. I test rode it and had a moderate decrease in popping. While having my laptop in my trunk, I pulled over and changed the number to (20) for both front and rear cylinder and saved that. The popping is 99% gone?. Down shifts are smooth and without sounding like I?m in a warzone .

Since I have made these changes I have put about 500 miles on the vision. The cold surges are still gone and the idle is smooth as it when was it was new. The Exhaust deceleration popping is gone? finally.. I also kept a eye out for decrease fuel economy and I had none.. Personally im glad I had the auto tune to show me how my idle was.. As for the exhaust popping you don?t need a Auto Tune to make adjustments for this.. you Also don?t need to purchase any devices to alter the IAC or how it delivers air..

Like I said most probably already knew this types of work around.. I just wanted to share it for anyone that didn?t. btw my mufflers are s1l1 with a victory performance front filter and a Ness top filter and then of course the fuel control info i already gave.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Tom13
Posted 2014-09-21 9:49 AM (#165993 - in reply to #165899)
Subject: Re: Cold Surging & Exhaust Popping + Power Commander 5

Cruiser

You are right on Chris I had the same problem with the back fire on mine with the PC5 and did the same adjustment and now runs fantastic. I adjusted mine to 15 to start and then dropped it 10 with no backfiring now. I had an idle miss finally took it to the dealer and they looked at it but said they didn't do anything to it. My missing went away so I concluded that the tech must have found a wire or connection loose or something along that line. Have had no problems with it since. I did find that it loves the mid grade 89 gas the best now. Ride it like you stole it!!

Edited by Tom13 2014-09-21 9:53 AM
soprano13
Posted 2014-12-09 6:44 PM (#169072 - in reply to #165899)

Cruiser

Bayonne, NJ
If your still having idle surge. TIghten up those battery teminals. Thats usually the ticket
Arkainzeye
Posted 2014-12-11 4:15 AM (#169088 - in reply to #165899)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
did that about 6 years ago. it was much more than simply tightening (2) 10mm bolts. but i can see why that would be the first thing to look at... its good advice. in my personal case with having the S1L1 mufflers and ness filters & with the power commander it needed more.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™