You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Gas
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

DesertJim
Posted 2007-11-05 7:19 PM (#1546)
Subject: Gas

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
The Vision Manual says to use 91 octane - Anyone using or tried anything less? I have run a lot of cars on less (midgrade instead of premium) just fine for many years-
Top of the page Bottom of the page
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-05 9:02 PM (#1552 - in reply to #1546)
Subject: Re: Gas

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
the manual was inspired by exxon/mobile/BP and the like. trust your guts! i put mid-grade into my e-glide because it still runs great on it, and cost way less. I will start with low grade on the vision, and work it from there.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-05 10:42 PM (#1561 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

So Cal
If you research the history & composition of gasoline, you'll find that gasoline was originally a lousy fuel. Most of todays fuels are 40-60% additives to reduce knock. In fact GM released a bulletin in the '90s recommending that lower octane be used in colder weather. The higher octane was too stable in cold weather and would'nt burn resulting in no starts. The Victory, with only 9.4 compression ratio, and I'm betting, a less aggressive advance curve, doesnt seem to warrant higher octane.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-06 3:54 AM (#1565 - in reply to #1546)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
I like you more and more cjnoho. Did I mention, I'm cheap? Any word on the arrivals?
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-06 8:13 AM (#1578 - in reply to #1546)
Subject: RE: Gas

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I have a 92 cu in Kingpin and normally use 93 octane gas, but have had to use lower octane 87 due to the higher octane not being available. The Kingpin runs fine on 87 unless your on the hard pull like going up hills and don't want to shift, then you can hear a ping. When I was at Sturgis last year, they have 91 octane up there and it ran fine on it, but then it was cooler, except in the Bad Lands, man was it hot out there!!!! There was one time at Sturgis I had to put in 85 octane and when pulling hard the Kingpin would ping. So I would suggest you try a gas octane level that you can use without causing pinging.
RedRider
Posted 2007-11-06 8:33 AM (#1580 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

Yes, it is so important to save 60 cents on a 6 gallon fill up but that is if your tank is empty and the mid grade and high are 10 cents different. Be a cheap ass at something other than the bike. Maybe the cable bill? the cellphone leash? stop drinking or smoking? buy a Vespa? Plus they are in stock and you won't have to piss and moan about getting it on time....
If you can't afford the upkeep you should never have bought it in the first place.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-06 8:34 AM (#1582 - in reply to #1546)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
guess you gotta go with what works. to be honest, i will go with mid-grade first.
g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-06 9:51 AM (#1589 - in reply to #1546)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
I thought it all had to do with higher compression. My Kawasaki came with a sticker that said to use 91 Octane+ or
Risk Serious Engine Damage. I took it off because of all the bubbles underneath, but for resale, I should get a
replacement sticker. By the way, My sticker was a bitch to get off the Vision.
lowtone9
Posted 2007-11-06 10:24 AM (#1593 - in reply to #1589)

Cruiser

Polaris has a kickback deal with EXXON MOBIL.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-06 8:53 PM (#1612 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

So Cal
I have no problem paying for premium IF thats what it NEEDS. Higher octane should increase power. More power means less throttle to mantain specific speeds, meaning better fuel economy. If you dont see a fuel economy increase with premium, your paying for something the vehicle isnt using. Premium just has a higher concentration of the same additives. High temp, dry climates, I would use premium for stability. Nevada & Arizona in the summer. Also, sustained high speed riding & modified powertrains. Saab sold a fuel additive that was basicly Chevrons' thechron additive to remove deposits. Originally available only in Chevrons premium grade, now all grades have it.
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-06 9:19 PM (#1616 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
First shot of mid grade went into bike tonight. I will run a couple of tank fulls and then see what happens. If nothing then I go lower.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-07 2:41 AM (#1653 - in reply to #1546)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
whats the temp in Tenn? its normally in the 80's during the days in the Mojave Desert. I haven't driven the e-glide in a week. Grave yard shift. The road i take to work is very deadly and even with the running lights on the HD, I don't feel safe. Can't wait to see the swath of lights coming off the vision. The lighting arangement was another reason I jumped on the vision train.
g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-07 11:53 AM (#1663 - in reply to #1612)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
cjnoho - 2007-11-06 8:53 PM

Higher octane should increase power.

My understanding is the higher the octane, the harder it is for the mixture to explode.
This is needed for higher compression levels so there isn't a mis-timed bang. I don't
think it has anything to do with power? I don't know, and I didn't sleep at a Holday Inn
Express last night.

Herb
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-07 12:53 PM (#1665 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
This morning it was 32 degrees on my drive in. If you need more light they have a PIAA light kit that attaches below the main fairing to your shocks. I say just turn on the HID all the time and don't worry about anyone seeing you. You can't miss that light. Then again?

It will be about 55 this afternoon and dropping rapidly on my way home.

This morning I would have sworn the bike knew I put mid grade in it. All was good, till I was cruising along and noticed a 2 mpg drop. So instead of the normal 48-49 it was 46-47. Slowly started climbing but still sitting in the 47 range. We shall see, did they put an octane meter in the tank?

Edited by pollolittle 2007-11-07 12:57 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-07 3:47 PM (#1672 - in reply to #1665)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Yes, I believe they DID put an octane meter in the tank, how else would the computer know how to adjust the timing so it could run on cheap gas. I was told it would run on diesel also, just have to change the plugs alot.
Carolina Tom
Posted 2007-11-07 9:42 PM (#1679 - in reply to #1546)

Cruiser

Lexington, North Carolina
When I picked mine up the guys had sold a Street model the day before and accidentally put the owners manual to both bikes in the Street. The ride home was over 150 miles (I know, poor me) so I had to stop on the way for gas. My Kawasaki used regular unleaded so I went ahead and filled up with regular. I didn't notice any performance issues, but I'm on my first tank of Super, so I'll soon see if there's a difference.
jama
Posted 2007-11-07 10:00 PM (#1680 - in reply to #1665)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Pollo, I'd say your decreased MPG was due to the unusually low outside temp today compared to recent months.( I'm near LR ) That'll drop fuel economy 5-8 percent. I even noticed the same decrease in MPG in my '07 Hybrid car today. I also had the same experience in my HD Street Glide (taht I just sold to make room for the Vision.
BTW, I believe that Scott at FRS introduced us at the dealer showroom Friday before last.
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-07 10:49 PM (#1682 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Are you the fella that has one on order there in Little Rock and was wondering about the CB capabilities. If so, glad to meet you here again. When Scott introduced us i thought you might have had questions concerning the bike, but then you didn't ask anything else except the CB part and I don't have one, so, I couldn't help you. Welcome to the party of waiters, criers and riders. We have become an accepting bunch, for the most part. Any news on yours? Did you also order the Cherry vision tour? How did you wind up at FRS?
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-07 10:52 PM (#1683 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
You would think since cooler air makes more power, cool weather would be right up its alley. Oh, yeah it has crept back up around 48 now, so not so bad like I originally thought, not the same traffic, etc.
jama
Posted 2007-11-07 11:49 PM (#1686 - in reply to #1683)

Cruiser

Arkansas
Cooler does make more power; more dense air so more fuel to maintain same fuel-air ratio. That's why it consumes a little more. At least that's my understanding of it. And, if the air is dry, it's really dense. Sounds counter-intuitive, but moist air is much less dense than dry.

Yeah, that was me asking about the CB. Was wondering about the GPS hookup as well, but I'll just have to wait. Nobody seems to have the accessory harness that ties the gadgets into the system. Already figured out the CB though. Just got a Cherry-Red Nolan N-42 with J&M premium headset in it.

I just drove over to Memphis to touch the Vision I knew was on the floor, and try the BBQ at Pig and Whistle. (pretty good). Usually try a different one each time. Also went by the Apple store but they were introducing "Leopard OS" and they did the iPhone routine with it: line around the block and not open 'til 6 p.m. I didn't wait.
Was born in Memphis and lived in what is now a park at 1100 Pendleton for first 3 years.

My MN Cherry Tour Prem. will most likely be in around 1st week or two in Dec. Really getting itchy. Haven't ridden since Aug when I put the Street Glide on the block for sale. Sold pretty quick.
I'm sure I'll get over that way again and when the bike comes in I'll be everywhere on it. I have 3 day weekends every week!
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-07 11:55 PM (#1687 - in reply to #1546)

Visionary

So Cal
None of this is set in stone. But, if you ride on a daily basis, its the perfect opertunity to experiment a little. Peace of mind is a factor also,if you feel better running premium, go for it. Colder weather makes a denser mixture but I'll bet the power was up. Ive only owned one vehicle where premium made a diffrence. That was 15 years ago. The increase in milage didnt off set the price though. so I went back to the cheap stuff. It cost less to fill up more. If it gets cold enough it'll run on cheap rot gut at your local pub. Ive been through small towns wher 85 octane was all they had. Cheap gas is better than none. So its nice to know in advance what to expect when your in a similar situation.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-08 8:01 AM (#1690 - in reply to #1546)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
good info all around. unless someone has a issue we haven't heard, we can say this myth is BUSTED! Reg unleaded will run threw this bike with no issues. We should get our own show! Brrrrrr it's cold over there in the east. I was up to 88 today. When I got done with my round of golf at 10:00 hrs, it was 77. cjnoho, and word on delivery?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™