You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Belt Noise
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

visionbob
Posted 2008-09-20 11:18 AM (#18372)
Subject: Belt Noise

Cruiser

Cumming, GA
I know this is an old subject, but I think it is important for us as a group to find out what Victory is going to do about it.

I now have ~17k on my vision and will have ~20k before I get home in a couple of weeks.

I have had the belt adjusted 3 times on this trip and after a few miles the noise returns. It get to the point that it is not pleasant to ride because of the noise. I have another 2400 miles to get home and I guess that earplugs will be the solution for now.

I read the post about a pulley overlay and I talked with the dealer. He indicated that there was nothing that could be done to the aluminum pulleys to alleviate the problem.

I am willing to do the overlay, but I think Victory should foot the bill.

Is there some way as a group that we can address a letter to Victory to fix the problem? I think if we do it together, we will get a better response than if we do it individually.

Comments!!!!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Teach
Posted 2008-09-20 2:45 PM (#18389 - in reply to #18372)
Subject: Re: Belt Noise

Visionary

Call 1-888-704-5290 and follow the automated messages until you get to a person. Explain your problem and you'll here them typing in the background. Then they will tell you they have no authority over the warranty department. However if EVERYONE who is having an issue with the belt calls Victory will get the message and MAYBE they will be forced to take care of the PROBLEM and it is a PROBLEM.
visionbob
Posted 2008-09-22 10:30 PM (#18610 - in reply to #18372)
Subject: RE: Belt Noise

Cruiser

Cumming, GA
I read lot of comments about belt noise on the forums. I am surprised that the only reply is from Teach.

Is it something that we are just going to live with? What is this "chirping" turns into a failed belt on the interstate somewhere?

Crawford
Posted 2008-09-22 11:44 PM (#18621 - in reply to #18372)

Tourer

Regina Saskatchewan Canada
I also have the chirping belt but only when it is cooler temperatures. It disappears once the belt warms up but man is it annoying until it does. My dealer has adjusted it a number of times with not improvement. They have a request into Victory for an answer to the problem but no response todate. My suggestion to my dealer is to check the bushing on the shock, check the bearings on the wheel. If they are as they should be than replace the pulley and belt under warranty. I have talked to two other local Vision owners and they do not have any problems and both of them have more mileage than I do.

I plan on trying the 1-800 number to add myself to the list of Vision owners with this problem.

GaVision
Posted 2008-09-23 1:52 PM (#18650 - in reply to #18621)

Puddle Jumper

Decatur, GA
I wonder if this is not a resonate problem with the rear drive pulley rather than the alignment, bearings or belt. Since no one has said anything about excessive wear on the belt, maybe a dampener might help on the pulley. Aluminum does have a funny way of making noise when being belt driven. Since I do not have my 2009 in yet, I will have to wait to see if I have the same issue.

Question: Does the noise happen more at one speed than another or it does not matter?

Bob, by the time you get back on the road trip Victory will have come out with at least two new year models and when are you going to post more pictures?
VisionTex
Posted 2008-09-23 3:12 PM (#18655 - in reply to #18650)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
GaVision, first off congrats on the new Vision order, your going to enjoy the ride. I had an 04 Kingpin Deluxe and the step up to the Vision is well worth it.
The belt noise has been around on my bike for some time and now have 17000 miles on the belt. The belt has very little wear, if any. I have a service manual which show how to align and adjust tension on the belt. So over the last few months I have been making little changes to see if I can get the belt to stop "chirping". And here is what I believe can make a difference.
First off, small adjustments make a big difference. Follow the procedure in the manual for alignment and tension. Once that is complete, tighten the axle bolt almost tight, making sure the adjustment bolts are pulled back tight, do not loosen them. So with the axle almost to it's full tight position, give the right adjustment bolt about a 20 degree pull on the rachet. This sets the belt just a little tighter than spec. This last little tug I believe helps keep the belt off the outside of the rear pulley. I made this type of adjustment three weeks ago and have not had the noise yet, and the belt is maintiaining tension.
On your question, the noise is most noticable in cool temperature, when the belt is cold, and on a low speed acceleration.
Breaker
Posted 2008-09-23 4:03 PM (#18659 - in reply to #18372)

Iron Butt

Western WA
Well I thought I was immune to this, but the past 2 mornings I've had the 'chirp' until the belt warms up a bit.

Hopefully it won't get any worse.

I don't think it is related to outside temps, because I've ridden on colder mornings without a noise.
Flatsix
Posted 2008-09-23 5:49 PM (#18665 - in reply to #18372)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

Hi All,

I have adjusted my own belt and am happy with the result.  I used this -

to achieve 'somewhat accurate' measurements.  This particular digital caliper can be purchased at Harbor Freight for $20 +/-

and this -

which I purchased from 'Motion Pro' for $28 +/- again to apply the proper pressure to the belt prior to taking a deflection measurement.

I then followed the directions in the manual (for the most part).

1)  I applied the pressure to the belt with the above tool

2)  I then checked belt deflection making marks on a carpenter's square with it standing vertical next to the belt.

3)  I checked the distance (in milimeters) between the marks I make on the carpenter's square using my digital caliper

4)  I then made my adjustments on the axle adjuster nuts.

5)  I then rechecked my belt deflection.

6)  I then used the digital caliper as a measurement tool to square up the axle (rather than using the factory marks on the swingarm)

7)  I rechecked and adjusted the deflection and readjusted the axle for 'square'.

8)  Chirp Gone!

9)  Don't forget to retighten the axle nut!

My 'Owners Manual' says the belt deflection should be 12mm.  I purchased a 'Service Manual' and it says the deflection should be 20mm.  I went to my Dealer's showroom and checked the 3 Visions they had on the floor (which may not have been serviced-out yet) and their belts seemed to be all of a consistent tension and 'loose' in my humble opinion so I'm not sure what the story is there.

My belt is a skosh tighter than the recommended 20mm as it is at 19.57mm after I squared my axle the last time.  I have only put 40 miles +/- on my bike since I adjusted the belt so the chirp could return, however it is nice and quiet currently.  It is running on the right (outboard) side of the rear pulley...I'm not sure if that is good or bad.  I do know QUIET is a good thing!

I would be interested in the approach others have used to adjust their belts...How did you adjust yours?

visionbob
Posted 2008-09-24 10:36 AM (#18753 - in reply to #18372)

Cruiser

Cumming, GA
Thanks to all for the comments and short-time solutions.

I say short-time, because I have had it adjusted at least 3 times on this trip and it continues to come back.

I rode from Tucson, AZ to Fort Stockton, TX yesterday and it was a continual noise the entire way. I not have 18,000 miles on the bike with another 1500 before I get home.

I agree that it is the loudest at startup, but mine is not all the time.

I really do not think that this is a "nit", but a serious compatibility problem between the aluminum pulleys and the belt. And something that Victory needs to take care of ASAP.

By the way! I will try and post more pictures tonight when i get to San Antonio. Also, I plan to be home sometime next week.

It has been a blast, but I am tireeeeeeeeed.

Good riding!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™