You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

hard start
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

rynot36
Posted 2014-12-01 12:28 PM (#168943)
Subject: hard start

New user

I just bought a 2000 victory the guy before me had the same problem it does not want to start when it is cold unless you boost it from another vehicle booster pack will not work it like grabs when it tries to roll over and does not want to fire up if boosted it will run and after it is warm you can shut it down and fire it right back up one cylinder does not seem to be working I need to know the proper spark plug to put into it to eliminate that problem first, does anyone know how I I just stuff you'll ratio or the throttle or any problems like that that I could adjust myself
Top of the page Bottom of the page
rynot36
Posted 2014-12-01 12:30 PM (#168944 - in reply to #168943)
Subject: Re: hard start

New user

it has aftermarket pipes and the throttle assist button on the left can only be pulled back halfway if I go past half it locks up and will not turn over at all and I have to start over
rdbudd
Posted 2014-12-01 2:55 PM (#168946 - in reply to #168944)
Subject: Re: hard start

Visionary

Jasper, MO
What condition is the battery in? These bikes are sensitive to cranking voltage, as well as running voltage. If you put a volt meter across the battery and the voltage drops below 12.5 volts while cranking, you are going to have problems. The bike will crank but may not fire or will backfire. A good battery, and good clean connections are essential. You must have 12.5 volts WHILE CRANKING. If you don't, you need a better battery. Putting a cheap battery in these bikes is false economy. Get one with at least 300 CCA.

You may or the previous owner may have fouled a sparkplug if the voltage is too low and the plugs got wet with gas. These bikes came with Champion RA8-GHC plugs new, gapped at .040.

You should be able to pull the fast idle lever all the way back. Opening the throttle a little while pulling the lever takes the tension off the fast idle lever. The lever is meant to be used as a fast idle stop. You can break the lever off if you pull on it too hard. Opening the throttle and then setting the fast idle lever is recommended. Yours may need adjusted if you are only getting half the travel.

The TPS has to be in proper adjustment for easy starting and good running, but you have to get the bike running before you can adjust it. The TPS adjustment is critical.

If someone along the way during this bike's history has jumped started it from a car with the car engine running, there is a strong possibility that the voltage regulator is fried. This, of course, will result in the battery not being recharged and the voltage dropping below 12.5 volts.

If someone has done a lot of cranking while trying to get the bike to start, they may have burned the brushes in the starter, causing it to give problems.

Put some new plugs in it and check the voltage across the battery terminals while the bike is cranking. I don't care what the static voltage is with the battery just sitting there. What is it while the bike is cranking?

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-12-01 3:04 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™