You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

the vision in hot weather australia
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

ducatif1
Posted 2014-12-24 7:45 PM (#169195)
Subject: the vision in hot weather australia

New user

Howdy guys I was very very keen on the vision until after taking a victory cross country over tour for a 1200 km spin across country Victoria Australia .
The bike was great along the great ocean road where it was cool but as I turn inland and the summer heat hit 37 degrees the engine heat was unbearable I had stop ridding many times and finished the day off early . I often go touring in summer on stinking hot days and never had engine heat problems get to me before . These bikes are touring bikes right but only for 3 seasons not 4 seasons machines. Is the vision as hot as the xct thanks guys louis
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Pops
Posted 2014-12-24 8:49 PM (#169196 - in reply to #169195)
Subject: Re: the vision in hot weather australia

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
Howdy,

I ride my Vision in the deep south of the USA all summer. We have high humidity and high temps to go with it.

I find my Vision to be one of the coolest and most comfortable of all of my previous touring bikes. I'm amazed how cool the motor runs and how little motor heat that I feel in the pilot's position.

I do wear tall, gore tex motorcycle boots.
Nozzledog
Posted 2014-12-25 1:29 AM (#169198 - in reply to #169195)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I have not ridden a Cross bike for very long, so I can't compare. I did find riding the Vision uncomfortable from the engine heat on my left ankle at certain speeds when the temperatures went above 35C. It was mainly when I wore low cut shoes instead of boots. I no longer have the problem at all now that I have installed the lower deflectors, even above 48C. Nevada desert is not much fun in the summer, but the engine heat wasn't a problem.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-12-26 10:48 AM (#169209 - in reply to #169195)
Subject: RE: the vision in hot weather australia

Visionary

Jasper, MO
They are hot in hot weather without the lower deflectors. The lower deflectors completely eliminate that as long as you're moving. You can bring in so much air that it's almost like not having a lower fairing if you want to. So much air that it will blow your pants legs up if you want that much. They also work the other way in cold weather when turned out, keeping the cold air off of you. They work so well in that direction that my pants legs barely move at all from air movement. Wonderful devices. They should be standard equipment on the Vision because they really do work.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-12-26 10:51 AM
varyder
Posted 2014-12-26 11:27 AM (#169212 - in reply to #169195)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I will agree the lowers are effective for the heat. However, I've never had an issue personally and run with no lowers and have even taken my uppers off.
RedRider
Posted 2014-12-27 8:30 AM (#169218 - in reply to #169195)

Visionary

Bear the heat and when the revamped Vision comes out I think it will be watercooled. Problem solved.

I agree the Vision gets HOT. The lowers help for me.
lstayner
Posted 2014-12-27 8:45 AM (#169219 - in reply to #169218)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
RedRider - 2014-12-27 8:30 AM

Bear the heat and when the revamped Vision comes out I think it will be watercooled. Problem solved.

Really? Water cooling magically makes the heat go away? The 2 liquid cooled bikes I had (V Star 1300 & Kawasaki Vulcan 900) both were just as hot as any other bike I have ridden. Whether it is air,oil or water cooled the heat still has to disapate through the air and around the body. Please do not assume that a water cooled bike is going to be the answer. You will be disappointed.
huts'putt
Posted 2014-12-27 11:41 AM (#169220 - in reply to #169219)

Cruiser

Racine, WI United States
Must say, that Istayner is right, I had a 2000 wing, and if you don't put highway pegs on, you roast your legs. It was one of the hottest bikes to ride that I have ever owned. The Vision rides hot, the oil cooler is mounted just to the left of the front cylinder, thus, lots of heat on the left leg. I will say though, that this past summer, I didn't notice the heat as much as the first year I owned it. HMD520 is suppose to be working on a heat diverter. Heat or not, still love riding my '13 Vision, won't ever ride anything other than a Victory again, well, maybe a Chieftain (lol), but that's down the road some.
Pops
Posted 2014-12-27 4:34 PM (#169221 - in reply to #169195)

Cruiser

Georgia On My Mind.... United States
I had ridden my bud's '02 Electra Glide Ultra in August. I couldn't stand the felt motor heat. Ridiculously hot.

I test rode a Vision in March and really liked it so much that I traded my BMW LT for it. However, I told myself that I might be making a mistake as I was sure the Vision would be a bear (motor heat) in August.

Turned out that my fears were unfounded. The Vision is very easy to live with as far as felt heat goes. It actually has better wind management than the LT.
rdbudd
Posted 2014-12-27 4:36 PM (#169222 - in reply to #169218)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
RedRider - 2014-12-27 8:30 AM

The FJR1300 is a watercooled sport/tour bike and one of the hottest I've ever ridden. Most of the Sport/tour bikes are water cooled and are much hotter to ride than the Vision. The Goldwing is water cooled and is hotter to ride in warm weather than my Vision after I put the air deflectors on it. The Goldwing envelopes you in a curtain of hot air coming off the radiators on either side.

Water cooling is not a panacea for rider comfort. It does allow for more consistent engine operating temperatures and makes meeting EPA guidelines a bit easier. It does nothing to keep the heat off the rider and often makes it worse.

In my experience in over 49 years of riding all kinds of motorcycles, some of the coolest to ride have been air cooled, and some of the hottest to ride have been watercooled. Air flow management makes the difference. Fully fairing motorcycles are always warmer to ride than ones that have you out in the wind--watercooled or not.

The Vision, with the optional air defectors, has the best array of all weather--year around air flow management options of any motorcycle I have ever had, and that includes Goldwings.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2014-12-27 4:38 PM
Oldman47
Posted 2014-12-27 4:53 PM (#169223 - in reply to #169195)

Tourer

Central Illinois
I ride my Vision in all weather, including the 3C temperatures today. When summer arrives it reaches as high as 35C quite often. I just keep on riding with my lowers aimed so that the air passes between me and the engine when I am moving. It worked with the OEM Victory lowers on my Vision and it still works using the Baker Air wings I am using now. Yes the engine is shedding tons of heat but I never feel it unless I am stopped.
ducatif1
Posted 2014-12-27 4:58 PM (#169224 - in reply to #169195)

New user

Thanks very much guys for the ideas I'll take them onboard when I decide on the new beast, it will be a victory .louis
Haze_Gray
Posted 2014-12-29 9:47 AM (#169241 - in reply to #169195)

Cruiser

Virginia Beach, VA
Spend some money and get the Lowers. They will solve any summer heat and or winter cold issues.
gr8punkin
Posted 2014-12-29 6:08 PM (#169247 - in reply to #169195)

Cruiser

Albuquerque NM
+1 on the lowers, I almost couldn't imagine owning one of these bikes without them.
olekneedragger
Posted 2015-01-05 1:13 AM (#169332 - in reply to #169195)

Puddle Jumper

I took a 300 mile ride to Galveston, TX (near Houston) last summer when the temps were 98 (37C) in stop and stop some more traffic and what alarmed me more than the heat pouring off the engine was how hot the oil temps got. When it got up to 250 (121 C) as measured by my dipstick, I felt it was time to give the bike a break for about 30 minutes or so. I have air deflectors and had no problem whatsoever as long as I kept moving forward, but the minute I slowed down to parade speed, it didn't take long to feel the heat. I'm thinking that the richer mixture that you would get with a PCV or a VFC would help the Vision (or CCT) run a little cooler. I plan on getting a tune and having a cam installed some time this year.
kevinx
Posted 2015-01-07 7:00 AM (#169358 - in reply to #169195)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
If you have lowers on a vision. The heat is not bad. Without them however you could cook on your boot leather. Cross Country Tour with lowers in place is almost as hot as a Vision without them
wingit3611
Posted 2015-01-07 5:24 PM (#169363 - in reply to #169223)

Cruiser

Oldman47:  How do you have your Bakerwing mounted? I can't see from the pictures of yopur bike.

Oldman47
Posted 2015-01-07 7:15 PM (#169364 - in reply to #169195)

Tourer

Central Illinois
The only pictures I have are before the air wings. They bolt onto the fairings in almost exactly the same place as the Victory lowers. The advantages are both cost and flexibility. The air wings have 2 separate deflectors on each side, a small upper wing and a larger lower wing that can be aimed independently. A disadvantage is that once they are set they are either full in or full out. There is not enough friction to hold them just part way open. For my black Vision I ended up with the smoke colored ones.
Oldman47
Posted 2015-01-07 7:15 PM (#169365 - in reply to #169195)

Tourer

Central Illinois
<p>Dup post</p>

Edited by Oldman47 2015-01-07 7:16 PM
wingit3611
Posted 2015-01-08 10:38 AM (#169368 - in reply to #169364)

Cruiser

Did the wings come from Baker & for a victory or are they your adaptation of the 2 piece Goldwing ones. It would be nice to see a good picture of them. I have spoken to the baker people twice in Daytona about coming up with some that woulld bolt in to tip overs up front. I satill thik that is the place to mount them.  Not on my beautiful painted parts.

Oldman47
Posted 2015-01-08 1:27 PM (#169371 - in reply to #169368)

Tourer

Central Illinois
Baker sells air wings made specifically for the Vision.
rdbudd
Posted 2015-01-08 2:36 PM (#169373 - in reply to #169364)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Oldman47 - 2015-01-07 7:15 PM

The only pictures I have are before the air wings. They bolt onto the fairings in almost exactly the same place as the Victory lowers. The advantages are both cost and flexibility. The air wings have 2 separate deflectors on each side, a small upper wing and a larger lower wing that can be aimed independently. A disadvantage is that once they are set they are either full in or full out. There is not enough friction to hold them just part way open. For my black Vision I ended up with the smoke colored ones.

The disadvantage you describe would be significant vs the Victory lower deflectors. All the way in is neutral with the Victory lowers, all the way out gives maximum cold and wet protection. The infinite positions in between controls the amount of air brought in for cooling the rider, from just a little to a lot. The Bakers sound like a poor substitute in comparison.

I've had the Bakers on other bikes.

Ronnie
Aussierob2001
Posted 2015-01-12 5:45 AM (#169403 - in reply to #169195)

New user

Katoomba, NSW Australia
G'day from Australia too....
I've got a Vision and yeh, it does get hot.. Sitting in Sydney traffic on a 40 degree day is not fun.
Both left and right legs get hot...
Once going it's not too bad but if the air temp is 44 which is comon out west, nothing is going to help.
I will be investing is a set of lower deflectors but cannot understand why they are so expensive..
Cheers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™