You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Hitches
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-01-20 7:11 PM (#169498)
Subject: Vision Hitches

Cruiser

Back in 2002 when I decided to retire I'd just bought a new Windward pop-up camper and needed a trailer hitch to put on my '85 K100/RT beemer. I bought one from Classic Industries out of Australia ($130 including shipping if I remember correctly). All I had to do was pop both front foot pegs off and install a pair of small mounting brackets which the hitch itself mounted to. Basically it was an enlongated "U" that wrapped around the rear tire and took maybe 5 minutes to pull off when I needed to replace the rear tire.
Four years and 160,000 miles later the beemer retired and I bought a '97 Concours. One of the guys in the Concours forum made a hitch for me for the same $130 and I must say I thought it was a work of art. It was a bit heavier than the 1st hitch and mounted behind the saddlebags mounts up on the top of the rear subframe.
Both hitches worked well but my subjective feeling is that the hitch that was mounted at the front footpegs ,and at about the lowest point on the bike frame, felt "better". I thought the lower mounting point worked a bit better at lower speeds and put less stress or tortional twist than the hitch mounted up higher. Again, this is purely subjective on my part and I'm no engineer...it's just my impression.
I'm looking at a Hitchdoc hitch but if I'm looking at the pictures right on the Bushtec site, it looks like their hitch mounts lower in the frame, which I'd prefer.

Am I right?

Edited by beemerdad2@yahoo.com 2015-01-20 7:14 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
JustBob
Posted 2015-01-20 8:18 PM (#169499 - in reply to #169498)
Subject: RE: Vision Hitches

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States

Yessir you are right.  I ran a hitchdoc hitch om my first Vision and on this bike I run a Bushtech.  I like the Bushtech much more   It just feels better.

Edited by JustBob 2015-01-20 8:19 PM
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-01-21 8:41 AM (#169502 - in reply to #169499)

Cruiser

Cool...that's what I was hoping for. It almost looks like it mounts near the rear foot peg...ooops...floor board? They seem much shorter than the Classic Industries hitch.
southjerseyrider
Posted 2015-01-21 6:53 PM (#169509 - in reply to #169498)

Tourer

Vineland, NJ United States

I use a Hitch Doc on my 2008 Vision, ride double and pull a uni-go trailer, been all over east coast, skyiine drive, poconos, Dragon, etc. no problems.  Just keep back tire inflated fully and shock set to stiff and no worries.

senior
Posted 2015-01-22 11:52 AM (#169517 - in reply to #169498)
Subject: Re: Vision Hitches

Puddle Jumper

Lum, MI United States
I put the Bushtech hitch on my 09 Vision, rock solid and well built. I pull a 500lb Aspen camper and have never had any issues with the hitch
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2015-01-22 7:47 PM (#169524 - in reply to #169509)

Cruiser

I'd probably be fine with either hitch but as I said, with the lower-mounted hitch on my beemer, it seemed less prone to want to "fall in" when corning at low speeds...say in a parking lot or going around corners...shoot even taking off from a stop. I'd assume that almost any one wheeled trailer...I always thought I'd like to try either a Uni-go or an N-Line because they're so much lighter than my pop-up which goes around 500+ pounds loaded.

Edited by beemerdad2@yahoo.com 2015-01-22 7:48 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™