You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Mmm.... slightly leaking left fork seal
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

willtill
Posted 2015-05-05 7:35 PM (#172261)
Subject: Mmm.... slightly leaking left fork seal

Visionary

Central Maryland
Well.. my 2011 Vision is at almost 20,000 miles and I discovered recently that the left fork
s inner shock tube has a slight film of oil on it.

Could it be from sitting for several weeks while I was riding my other bikes. Maybe the seal dried out a little?

At any rate, I ordered a "Seal Mate" and will see if any debris got under the seal and the fork... maybe I can extend the fork service to 30K...

I am of a half a mind to just go and get my local dealer to flush the forks and replace the seals if necessary... already was talking to the service manager today about it. He said that the left fork becomes predominantly more "dirty" with oil contamination than the right fork... is that maybe because the Vision rests on the left when not in use?

I know that you are supposed to get the forks serviced at 15K... but some have posted here previously that it is an unneeded service; with the collaboration of the Victory techs that they had discussed it with.

Them we have others whom swear by the maintenance schedule of the forks, (such as Ryan I bow to his knowledge)

Oh...btw, I also need to change my drive belt out at 30K... I just looked at it and there is nothing worn or damaged on it.

Really?

Just Fucking perturbs me about the maintenance schedule of this damned motorcycle. I've had many other bikes where I've amassed many more miles; and the forks never had a leak or issue.

Hopefully the Seal Mate will prove that there's simple debris in the seal/fork face; and I can carry a fork flush of oil to "AT LEAST" 30K... Jeezuz H. Keerist... what kind of quality components is Victory using to build these bikes ???

I have to say as an American... I am embarrassed by the lack of quality and longevity of these parts. Maybe I should have bought a Goldwing as I was originally contemplating...

...and btw; jus for shits and giggles.... I also asked for trade in value of my Vision. The Dealer said he would give me 11K for it. That is currently the median between KBB trade in/retail value.

I'm fine with that. maybe I'll buy an Indian. Or a Vespa.... he carries Vespa's as well.

Do Vespa forks leak like this?

Anyone? Anyone?

Edited by willtill 2015-05-05 7:40 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
lstayner
Posted 2015-05-05 9:21 PM (#172262 - in reply to #172261)
Subject: RE: Mmm.... slightly leaking left fork seal

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
Sounds like someone is having a bad day. It is good to vent some days.

My guess is that the seal mate will stop the oil leak. I changed seals at 50K with a leaking seal. That was before I had heard of Sealmate. The drive belt? I have 75K miles on mine and no signs of wear or damage. I have used this style of belt in my industry for years and they are tougher than nails. If they aren't cracked, they are good to go. HD uses the same belt and I think they reccomend changing them at 100K miles.

Buy a Goldwing and they have their problems too. After 1 year on a 2010 I couldn't wait to get rid of it. You do know that Indian is owned by Polaris right?

Vespa's are cool. I would go that route.
diamonbird
Posted 2015-05-06 7:30 AM (#172265 - in reply to #172261)
Subject: Re: Mmm.... slightly leaking left fork seal

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I found that my right side seal was leaking on my bike @ 22,000 miles, it wasn't a lot, it was just wet enough to catch dust/dirt and look bad. I pulled my forks and disassemble them, ordered new seals and 7.5w fork oil and did the work myself......no big deal. As far as the belt goes, it is a wear item just like tires and brake pads and if you ride it they will wear out and or even break. just saying. Buy a Goldwing...........Pleazzzzee!?
That brings to mind, I had to ride one for a friend to a dealership to put up for sale for him,,,,,I hated every second I was on it, setting upright was the worst position to ride in that I've ever experienced on a motorcycle used on the road. Also it felt so small underneath me and the handling was too choppy when laying into a curve, at least for me.JMHO
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-05-06 5:24 PM (#172279 - in reply to #172261)

Visionary

Don't change the belt till 80 thousand. If its not broke don't fix it.
Look around 90% of bikes park with the weight on the left fork. It has nothing to do with the seal leaking. Your tech is blowing smoke up your skirt
willtill
Posted 2015-05-09 5:19 PM (#172344 - in reply to #172279)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Well, the Seal Mate that I ordered FINALLY arrived. I'm fixing to go out to the shed and see if this will clean out the seal; and postpone my fork oil change to 30 K.

http://sealmate.net/

I'll let you all know how it goes.

willtill
Posted 2015-05-09 7:05 PM (#172348 - in reply to #172261)

Visionary

Central Maryland
The seal may be tits up. Even with using the Seal Mate. I'll ride it a little tomorrow and see if I get a dry tube; after cleaning it occasionally.

What is it with this frikken bike and seals? First the front drive sprocket seal goes tits up; and then now one of the fork seals. And only 20K on the damned thing....

Edited by willtill 2015-05-09 7:06 PM
willtill
Posted 2015-05-10 10:48 AM (#172359 - in reply to #172261)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Well I'll be gawddarned....

...the Seal Mate tool fixed my leaking seal! :-) Wooot! :-)

It was still leaking a little this morning; but after I rode it around for awhile and kept checking it; the oily film had DISAPPEARED from the inner fork tube. It's staying nice and clean; just seems to have taken a bit longer for the seal to re-seat and wipe away the residual oil that I couldn't clean up from within the shock tube; around the seal retaining clip.

I just save myself $300-400 dollars with this simple piece of plastic; a 5 dollar tool. One that I could have made myself out of a thin piece of plastic.

lstayner
Posted 2015-05-10 7:58 PM (#172365 - in reply to #172359)

Tourer

Prairie City, IA United States
willtill - 2015-05-10 10:48 AM

Well I'll be gawddarned....

...the Seal Mate tool fixed my leaking seal! :-) Wooot! :-)

It was still leaking a little this morning; but after I rode it around for awhile and kept checking it; the oily film had DISAPPEARED from the inner fork tube. It's staying nice and clean; just seems to have taken a bit longer for the seal to re-seat and wipe away the residual oil that I couldn't clean up from within the shock tube; around the seal retaining clip.

I just save myself $300-400 dollars with this simple piece of plastic; a 5 dollar tool. One that I could have made myself out of a thin piece of plastic.

Sometimes things aren't as bad as we imagine. Sure wish I knew about the seal mate before I took it to the shop last year.
Denny Pink
Posted 2015-05-11 7:27 PM (#172377 - in reply to #172365)

Cruiser

I have heard of shade tree mechanics who made their own "seal mate" out of a piece of 35mm camera film. Just make a little hook on the end like the seal mate, application into the fork tube seal is the same.
DP
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™