You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Bad panel alignment - dealer says no warranty - need opinion
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Creex
Posted 2015-06-21 11:30 PM (#172870)
Subject: Bad panel alignment - dealer says no warranty - need opinion

Puddle Jumper

Early this year I bought a 2014 Vision sold and registered as new. It was the demo bike of the Dealer's VP (and part owner). Due to family and health issues I never got to ride the bike after I rode it home from the so I have only put about 35 miles on the bike, it had just under 4200 when I took delivery. I recently started prepping it for a road trip, and emailed the VP with a question and also to document concerns about some panel alignment issues, namely that you can see the slot underneath the upper fairing on the left leg fairing but not the right. Also you can flex the front corner by the headlight in and out about 1/8" but right is solid.

His reply was not to let that sit long because all the brands they carry are extremely picky about honoring any fit and finish claims. Once I brought the lift table up so the bike was closer to eye level I found the problem was worse than I first noticed and there were other issues. The grill on the left is not parallel to the bottom of the headlight. It touches the light at the bottom and has a gap over 5mm at the top.

The bag lids are (imho) horribly uneven. The gap between lid and side panel on left is 4.2mm, but 13.5 on the right. If you look down on the front of the lids, the left is almost even with the side panel, the right sits completely outside the side panel. Or to be more practical, I can almost get the tip of my little finger in the gap on the left, put can put all 4 fingers in the gap on the right. The rear of both bags press over the support 'nubs and against the main tail panel such that they have rubbed into the plastic tail panel, the right all the way from top to bottom. I emailed some video and called to make sure it was received due to file size. The VP was out and I ended up speaking to his son. The second sentence he uttered was to bring the bike in and they would do what they could but warranty wasn't going to cover the problems.

I know a lot of Visions had panel fit problems early in the game, but it seemed from discussions that they had gotten much better. I am floored by much of what I have found. Does this sound excessive to others, and should Victory step up to the plate or should I just resign myself to having to fix it on my own? I will attempt to aattach pictures.

Oh, I also found that when they installed the 'tail gunner' tips there was about 1/2 an inch difference in how deep they were seated, and when installing the reverse kit they did not trim the full template out in the side cover and it was rubbing against the reverse driveshaft.

(Right Bag Front 640.jpg)

(Left Bag Front 640.jpg)

(Left Grill Gap 640.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Right Bag Front 640.jpg (118KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Left Bag Front 640.jpg (95KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments Left Grill Gap 640.jpg (118KB - 0 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wdwurker
Posted 2015-06-22 8:42 AM (#172879 - in reply to #172870)
Subject: Re: Bad panel alignment - dealer says no warranty - need opinion

Cruiser

Based on my experience... I would put the bike up on the lift, sit down with the "repair manual" and attack each issue one at a time. My impression of Victory's after the sale help would rate a -3 on a scale of 1 - 10. I don't feel like going into all the details (gives me indigestion).

There's nothing magical about the panels, and IF the fit can be corrected, at least you will know the job was done right and that it wasn't just a work order for some hourly worker who has no attachment to your bike.

Besides, everyone should have some experience/frustration in dealing with all the plastic on these critters.

LOVE my Vision, don't care to much for Victory. Hope that makes sense. Good Luck!
willtill
Posted 2015-06-22 8:54 AM (#172880 - in reply to #172870)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Resign yourself to fixing it on your own. My panels didn't line up very well either; reassembling some of them negated much of the gaps.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-06-22 8:56 AM (#172882 - in reply to #172870)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
my 08 had Bag alignment issues.. its been awhile since i have owned that one, but i remember on here guys were talking about shimming it and it worked ! i noticed on my front panel near the head light , the gap on one side is not the same as the other side.. but i just let it go as its been a very good bike and if thats all i have to worry about then im happy... but i feel your pain.. when i first got my 2008 model i was nit picking everything.. i just noticed my gap near my headlight is in the same spot as yours.. oh also i wanted to add that i put little PADS under my bag lids... so when they close they wont rub / mark the paint.. (they were starting to do this)
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-06-22 6:13 PM (#172894 - in reply to #172870)

Visionary

your photos are a little to close for me to see. I to had some poor alignment on bags and around headlight. I did take a lot of part off and put back on and some were better but not by much. I think the left saddlebag I tuck the back hing off and ground some of the nuts away to get it to close better.
Had the front left pannel off and when it went back together I add some washers to bolts so they would hold better.
It is what it is and hard to change it

(apart.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments apart.jpg (65KB - 0 downloads)
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-06-22 6:20 PM (#172895 - in reply to #172870)

Visionary

that crack is not right where the arrow is pointing.

This is a must do. With a 6mm allen check the black half of your front fender. There is a bolt on each side that can be loose causing a breakage of fender

(Left Grill Gap 640.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Left Grill Gap 640.jpg (93KB - 0 downloads)
V92SC
Posted 2015-06-23 7:45 AM (#172903 - in reply to #172870)

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
I noticed the poor fit and mediocre finish on my 08 that I purchased in 07 immediately. I chalkedit up to first year new model stuff that would evolve as time and production went on. I see from you guys over the years that it wasn't address on latter models as there have been little to no attention paid to the model since 08. Of all of the talk of Victory reloading the Vision I have always wanted to see evolutionary changes over revolutionary changes, much better fit and finish and so kind of liquid assist engine cooling. I really do like the overall look of the bike for it is true to the original goal of modern polarizing style. I feel you on the poor fit issue I just wish Polaris/Victory would feel our pain.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2015-06-23 8:17 AM (#172905 - in reply to #172903)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
V92SC - 2015-06-23 7:45 AM

I noticed the poor fit and mediocre finish on my 08 that I purchased in 07 immediately. I chalkedit up to first year new model stuff that would evolve as time and production went on. I see from you guys over the years that it wasn't address on latter models as there have been little to no attention paid to the model since 08. Of all of the talk of Victory reloading the Vision I have always wanted to see evolutionary changes over revolutionary changes, much better fit and finish and so kind of liquid assist engine cooling. I really do like the overall look of the bike for it is true to the original goal of modern polarizing style. I feel you on the poor fit issue I just wish Polaris/Victory would feel our pain.

so what your saying is.... you want a honda ? lol kidding...
willtill
Posted 2015-06-23 9:40 AM (#172906 - in reply to #172870)

Visionary

Central Maryland
Honda's got their issues too... I was (recently) gravitating toward the new F6B but then saw that a common complaint with them; was the poor (soft) paint finish. Scratches easily; comes off with polishing.

They went to some sort of water based paint; to be greener with the environment. Bad call for an automotive/motorcycle finish...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™