You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Install Load Equalizers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Tennessee Vision
Posted 2015-12-29 11:23 AM (#177074)
Subject: Install Load Equalizers

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
Need help here gang. I have an 09 Vision. Need to install load equalizers since putting in LED turn signals. Can someone tell me where on the bike I should install the load equalizers? I was told I needed two of them for my 09. Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
atvtinker
Posted 2015-12-29 12:09 PM (#177079 - in reply to #177074)
Subject: Re: Install Load Equalizers

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
Anywhere between the positive and negative wires running to the light bulbs. When I had my Vision I put them on the wires inside the fairing on the front lights that way they would be easily accessible if something happened. Remember those suckers can get a little warm so don't stick them on anything that might would melt.
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-12-29 5:37 PM (#177086 - in reply to #177074)

Visionary

one load equalizers for each light. Keep in mind they do get warm
Tennessee Vision
Posted 2015-12-29 6:24 PM (#177088 - in reply to #177074)

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
So if I've converted both running lights in front to turn signals, I need 4 load equalizers just in the front?
Nozzledog
Posted 2015-12-30 2:48 PM (#177093 - in reply to #177074)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
A load equalizer is used to trick the bike into thinking you are running a standard incandescent bulb instead of lower wattage LEDs. Your bikes flasher module is looking for the 6ohms of resistance that an incandescent bulb draws. If it doesn't find that much, it assumes the light is burnt out and flashes twice as fast to make you aware that something is wrong. Connecting the running lights to the turn signals does not add to the amount the flasher module is looking for.

If you are only adding LEDs to a system with an incandescent light still in place, then you need not add equalizers.
If you are replacing incandescents with LEDs, Then you will need to add an equalizer to each corner you change, Left, Right X Front, Back. Even if the LEDs draw the same amount of wattage, because they are diodes, the circuit gets interrupted and confuses the stock flasher module and it stops flashing all together. It needs the uninterrupted circuit an resistor or incandescent bulb offers.

If you are lucky, you can still find one of the MBW flasher modules designed for LEDs on a Vision. They were about $50 and replaced the stock flasher module, requiring no equalizers for any turn signal lights LED, Incandescent, MBW or otherwise. They were being sold by Lloydz as well, but I could no longer find them on his website.

Before the MBW flasher module, I was running a total of four 6ohm resistors with 50watt heat sinks, One for each left-front, left-rear, right-front and right-rear. I had tried using two 3ohm resistors instead, one for all-left and one for all-right, but for some reason, it wouldn't work.
I added a few posts into the Tech Reference forum showing how to add LEDs/equalizers and also how to connect the running lights. Just follow the links...

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12777&po...
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=12778&po...

Edited by Nozzledog 2015-12-30 2:54 PM
johnnyvision
Posted 2015-12-31 5:54 PM (#177100 - in reply to #177074)

Visionary

Tennessee Vision

do you understand
Tennessee Vision
Posted 2016-01-02 8:50 PM (#177111 - in reply to #177074)

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
I'm getting a much better picture of what I need to do. I'm thinking I need to give it a try and see what happens.
Thank you all for your help and knowledge!
Tennessee Vision
Posted 2016-01-02 9:09 PM (#177112 - in reply to #177074)

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
So after reviewing Nozzledog's post about the install, it appears I only need to connect a ground wire and 1 hot wire to the "turn" wire. The load equalizer I purchased from Witchdoctors has 3 wires (1 ground and 2 hot). Do I not need to use 1 of the hot wires from this load equalizer?
Nozzledog
Posted 2016-01-02 9:47 PM (#177114 - in reply to #177074)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
I am not familiar with the Witchdoctor equalizers and his website gives no specs for the product. It is probably designed to hook up to the left AND right hots with a common ground.
It would be easy for Witchdoctor to make it this way using a common resistor and 2 diodes to prevent back-current, or just two separate resistors, all using the same heat sink. I would guess it uses two resistors, since a single resistor may not give enough resistance when the hazards are on and all lights are blinking. But then again, the hazard controller may not care what resistance your giving it. It has its own programming.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™