You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Exhaust modification
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

1atom12
Posted 2008-11-09 1:35 PM (#22913 - in reply to #22458)
Subject: Re: Exhaust modification

Tourer

Atlanta Area
ooops... Sorry Rebel, I didn't know Victory used both security hex and security torx for the baffles...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Vinner1
Posted 2008-11-09 2:10 PM (#22914 - in reply to #22458)
Subject: RE: Exhaust modification

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
I have S1L2 on my bike and can't imagine any more noise...YIKES!

I like that when you giver you know it...but I like that when you are cruising you can use the intercom and listen to the IPOD. If I would have wanted the noise of having a bike to sound like the rest of the thundering heard...I would have bought a
Rebel
Posted 2008-11-09 4:44 PM (#22920 - in reply to #22881)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
1atom12 - 2008-11-08 8:12 PM

Your link was for security HEX bit set. The baffles take a security TORX bit.

Yep, I definitely have TR socket head bolts in mine, as oppsed to the TORX that Dave apparently has.

Without the baffles, the drumming in the pit of my gut was too much to bear. I mean you can really feel it. I'm used to loud pipes as my past 3 bikes have been Harleys. But the S1L2 without baffles set up a weird drumming resonance that really makes me physically uncomfortable. We ended up putting the baffles back in after the test ride.

Yeah, that's pretty much the same experience I'm having. I get the rumble in my chest and I also feel the pulsating in my inner ear. It does make me physically uncomfortable and really wears me out riding long distances. My baffles are going back in as soon as I get done making a before and after video so folks can get a sound comparison.

I do still plan to work on some of the things we've discussed here to try to find a happy median between standard S1L2 and baffle-less S1L2. I still have my regular exhaust, so I'm also going to look at what can be done with those.
dwhite28
Posted 2008-11-09 5:07 PM (#22922 - in reply to #22458)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
As much as i may have liked it to start with, i had to put the baffles back in. The sound was awesome and low. I went riding around town last night for about 2 hours and came home around Midnight. The sound wore me out and did make me somewhat uncomfortable. I will probably still play around with the pipes. Probably use some duct tape and tape up sections of the perforations till i get a sound i like. Then i will know how much to block off eventually.
stretch
Posted 2008-11-09 5:48 PM (#22925 - in reply to #22922)

Puddle Jumper

Adamsville, Tn
I blocked off all but the last 4 perforations on my S1L2 pipes. Used stainless shim stock wrapped around the baffles, and some stainless hose clamps to hold it on. It sounds a lot better at speed and it is still quiet at idle. I had the baffles out for a while also. TOO LOUD
Rebel
Posted 2008-11-09 8:17 PM (#22937 - in reply to #22458)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
All is forgiven, Stretch.

Actually, I think your idea is great. I'll experiment with it to see if I can get the sound I like.
VaParadox
Posted 2008-11-10 1:00 AM (#22952 - in reply to #22458)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Lets look at this, 1. Buy an expensive high end motorcycle BECAUSE it is a luxury touring bike. 2. Turn it into Trailor Trash Redneck
"sound", so that the people who are already staring at it because its unique and a beautiful piece of moving art work can now say
"wow, that motorcycle is incredible, why did they have to F it up with all that loud unnecessary noise........ the owner either must have a small dick, or couldnt buy a HD to get all that obnoxious noise, such a waste.... Mid life crisis men buy Corvettes, to get noticed, Vision owners buy bikes because they appreciate fine artistry combined with modern technology. Lets leave the
"neckers to the HD's" (just my highly valued opinion ..... no wait im the only one who values it highly...... )
Rebel
Posted 2008-11-10 6:26 AM (#22963 - in reply to #22952)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
VaParadox - 2008-11-10 1:00 AM

Lets look at this, 1. Buy an expensive high end motorcycle BECAUSE it is a luxury touring bike. 2. Turn it into Trailor Trash Redneck
"sound", so that the people who are already staring at it because its unique and a beautiful piece of moving art work can now say
"wow, that motorcycle is incredible, why did they have to F it up with all that loud unnecessary noise........ the owner either must have a small dick, or couldnt buy a HD to get all that obnoxious noise, such a waste.... Mid life crisis men buy Corvettes, to get noticed, Vision owners buy bikes because they appreciate fine artistry combined with modern technology. Lets leave the
"neckers to the HD's" (just my highly valued opinion ..... no wait im the only one who values it highly...... )

Y'know, I don't remember ever coming into one of your threads and telling you that you have small dick or that you're having a mid-life crisis. If you don't like what we're working on here, fine. Everyone's entitled to their opinion. But to come in here and spout off the way you are just makes you look like the dick, not us. So kiss my big, fat, hairy, white redneck ass.

Oh, and it's trailer with an "e", not trailor. Learn how to spell, use punctuation and the proper use of the "Enter" key and your stupid, insulting ramblings make more sense. But I doubt it.
Jedi Jeff
Posted 2008-11-10 1:50 PM (#22995 - in reply to #22458)

Fountain Inn, SC United States
OK Gents, let's settle down and go for a ride. Otherwise I'll have to remove this thread or more.

Lotzafun
Posted 2008-11-10 2:17 PM (#23001 - in reply to #22995)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

JAM - 2008-11-10 12:50 PM OK Gents, let's settle down and go for a ride. Otherwise I'll have to remove this thread or more.

Remove a thread with a lot of useful information because two people take a jab at each other?

I know....these to may follow your warning and settle down. Hopefully.

But for future....if someone doesn't happen to settle down....a thread gets tossed? Isn't there a better/fairer option available?

RedRider
Posted 2008-11-10 2:32 PM (#23002 - in reply to #22458)

Visionary

As I read this thread I thought to my self, "Been there done that". Spent good money on exhaust and did not like the sound/noise. Of course I did not feel the need to bad mouth because someone did the same thing I did. Those midi files really don't have the quality.
Yep, I agree with JAM if you don't like it don't read the thread and definite don't bad mouth someone over it.
It too much work to delete the dumb stuff and keep the good stuff of a thread.

You would have to talk to Lloyd and see if this would work. Lloyd used to put a washer in the exhaust to improve low end torque. It had a threaded piece that came out of the bottom of the pipe,that way you could turn it for max benefit. Maybe something like that could change the sound too?
radioteacher
Posted 2008-11-10 2:49 PM (#23003 - in reply to #22458)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
How long is the baffle? I have read about an exhaust system that was remotely tunable. I think it was the Peacemaker.

I was thinking along the same lines. What expandable mechanical sleeve can be put outside or inside the S1L2 baffles to block the perforations and can be adjusted either by hand or remotely.

Maybe it would be easier to sleeve the inside of the baffles when a deeper tone is desired.
Trekwolf164
Posted 2008-11-10 3:13 PM (#23004 - in reply to #23003)

Iron Butt

New York State
I might be alone on this but my Triumph is quiet and I like it. My Vision is throaty and I was getting used to the sound but if changing the exhust system is all about sound and not horsepower or speed I can't see spending the money.
rbarrera1
Posted 2008-11-12 10:33 PM (#23160 - in reply to #23003)

Puddle Jumper

This sounds like a great idea. I took out the baffles, and have been riding with them off for a couple of days now. I can't get used to the buzzing sound. I will try this modification, and tune the pipes down a notch.
cjnoho
Posted 2008-11-13 12:03 AM (#23163 - in reply to #22458)

Visionary

So Cal
I poked two 1/2" holes in the stock mufflers. About 18" from the ends. Sounds almost stock with more low rumble.
nohawg
Posted 2008-11-13 12:08 AM (#23166 - in reply to #23163)

Cruiser

Fargo, ND

cjnoho - 2008-11-12 11:03 PM I poked two 1/2" holes in the stock mufflers. About 18" from the ends. Sounds almost stock with more low rumble.

Did you have to disassemble anything to do this?  Not sure I quite understand what you did.

Edited by nohawg 2008-11-13 12:09 AM
cjnoho
Posted 2008-11-13 12:16 AM (#23167 - in reply to #22458)

Visionary

So Cal
I got a 24" drill bit extention and a 1/2" drill. If you drill 2 holes, the second will grab at the end and produce an elongated hole. Itapped the whole assembly to sort of center punch things. Not real loud but enogh to make a difference. Decell though tunnels has a nice low, deep note.
johnedoe
Posted 2009-05-03 6:12 PM (#33720 - in reply to #22458)

Puddle Jumper

North East Oregon
Any progress on the pics? or the video?
UntamedBill
Posted 2009-05-03 8:26 PM (#33724 - in reply to #22952)

Puddle Jumper

Va Paradox! You old yuppie you!!! Man are you one arrogant, know it all, kind of dude! A true INTERNET WARRIOR! Callng people rednecks because they like loud pipes? Give me a break! I bet you are one geeky kind of a guy in person (can you say SUPER NERD!).
Tarpits99
Posted 2009-05-03 9:37 PM (#33729 - in reply to #22458)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
The best oil for a Vision is "bean oil" cause no matter how ridiculously loud the pipes get, they always smell great!

BarryBennett
Posted 2009-05-06 8:36 PM (#33976 - in reply to #22498)

Cruiser

Columbia,MO
The cats are a little bit of a chore. I drilled mine out as they were pressed(crimped) into the pipe and I saw no other way. Be very careful not to drill crooked as you will come threw the side of the pipe. I used a new 2" hole saw and some muscle to get threw them. They are made out of some tough metals. The one on the right side is right where the muffler hooks on. The one on the left side is in front of the curved pipe thats in front of the muffler. Hope that made sense.Basically you have to take one more muffler joint off to get to the cat on the left side. I am not to worried about EPA because the amount of pollution from my cycle without cats does not compare to amount my truck puts out with cats. Justification at its finest.
bigwill5150
Posted 2009-06-24 11:38 PM (#37490 - in reply to #22458)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
I removed mine as well and am having the same thoughts. I LOVE the way this sounds. It is louder, it's definately NOT too loud. It's not screaming-sputtering-popping loud like an annoying strait piped bike. It's a very low rumble. Hearing the compression from the 106 feels right so I'm gonna keep it. I might try to cover the baffeling with some exhaust heat shield material and reinstall them. I don't wanna run around with these pipes wide open to the elements. I have noticed a drop in MPG but I haven readjusted my VFC yet.
Baddog69
Posted 2009-06-24 11:56 PM (#37491 - in reply to #22458)
Subject: RE: Exhaust modification

Cruiser

Billings, MT

I have tried the Vision with stock pipes, tooooo quiet!

I then tried S1L1, just didn't like the sound.

Then I tried my version.  I took the stock pipes apart, decored them, left in the outer glass packed pocktets: awesome sound with good power!

nobodyhome
Posted 2009-08-04 6:40 PM (#40904 - in reply to #22458)

New user

Evergreen, CO
I have the Victory S1L2 pipes on my Vision and as many - found them to be fairly mild (much more mild than I had expected). I followed this thread and took the baffles out (which isn't hard once you get the two hold down screws removed and use two small nail pullers to rotate the baffle and pull it out). Then I bought two sheets (12" x 18" of 22 gage weldable steel from Ace Hardware and wrapped it around the complete length of the baffle. I then installed a number of clamps to hold the steel wrap in place. The baffle perforations are completey covered and the sound transmittted from the engine is much improved. Basically it provides a much lower rumble at lower rpms and then slightly louder as you get on the throttle. Much, much better than the stock S1L2, but not too obnoxious. I realize that in purchasing an aftermarket exhaust for the Vision, you might have an expectation not to have to muck with it. I bought mine with the S1L2, so I never expereinced the stock muffler sound, but I imagine it must be pretty whimpy. I was dissappointed in the S1L2 until my modification. But now all is good!
Gadget
Posted 2010-02-03 8:30 AM (#52567 - in reply to #22458)

Cruiser

nobodyhome,

Do you have any detailed info with pics on what you did here??

Gadget
Jump to page : 1 2 3
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™