You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

The First Week
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2007-11-20 9:56 AM (#2093)
Subject: The First Week

Visionary

Memphis

I've ridden the bike to work every day since I picked it up a little over a week ago. I have gone out to the parking lot and given "the tour" at least 20 times. I am amazed at the number of non-riders who absolutely love it. I have a lot of pilot buddies who are also blown away by it. I have let 8 different riders take it out to get their impressions. They always come back with the same first words..."Wow, I can't believe how it handles!"

I rode with a guy who has a Suzuki M109R (seriously powerful bike with a 240mm rear tire). He followed me through a twisty country road and when we got to the first stop sign he pulled up and said "Man, I was scraping my pegs all over the place trying to keep up with you!" I said "Well, don't try to keep up. Just ride within your limits." He asked how fast it would go and I said "I don't know, I'm still breaking it in so I try to keep it around half throttle." He stared at me, trying to gauge my BS factor, and finally blinked..."Are you serious?" "Yep. I haven't begun to wring this thing out yet. Let's get together next week after I get the break-in check-up done and I'll find the edge of the envelope." We continued on that road until it crossed the county line and I continued to ride the curves as before. We pulled up to another stop sign and he said "Man, the road really sucks at this end. It was beating me to death." I looked back and realized that it was much less improved on this side of the county line and didn't even notice it until he mentioned it. I looked at him and said "Oh man, I'm sorry. I didn't even notice the road surface or I would never have gone that fast with you behind me." Again, the stare.

He gathered his composure and said "We need to race after you get it broken in." I said "OK, that might be fun. Let's have two races." His eyebrow arched "Two races? Why two?" I replied "Well, one that you choose and one that I choose." He looked at me, again, with the stare. "What's the difference?" he finally asked. I said "I know what you're going to choose. Flat out, straight line, top speed. Take less than a minute." He said "OK, what would you choose?" I stared him straight in the eye "Race you to Seattle and back."

He knew I wasn't joking.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-20 12:34 PM (#2099 - in reply to #2093)
Subject: RE: The First Week

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Songfan, great post, this is what it is all about! I like your race.........Giddy-up!
pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-20 2:31 PM (#2103 - in reply to #2093)
Subject: Re: The First Week

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Just going up through New Mexico or Colorado mountains would be just as fun. I don't think I can escape for that long.
Is your bike over at FRS today. Will you be picking it up, today? I'll be getting off here in a little bit and thinking about going past there.
chahn1
Posted 2007-11-20 4:28 PM (#2106 - in reply to #2093)

Puddle Jumper

Glendale, AZ.
Gonna ride from San Diego to Jacksonville Florida on March 2 IBA coast to coast in under 50 hrs. So far just 2 old guys goin. Just in time for Daytona bike week, then down to the Keys and back to phx
Carolina Tom
Posted 2007-11-20 8:39 PM (#2113 - in reply to #2093)

Cruiser

Lexington, North Carolina
Cool story SongFan. People just look at you like you've lost your mind when you tell people how well it handles, but seeing is believing.
SongFan
Posted 2007-11-20 9:24 PM (#2116 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

Memphis

Riding a sport-tourer for nearly five years really gave me a feel for twisties. I've never been on a big bike where the frame flexes and wallows through turns so I can't relate to how the Vision stacks up in that category. I can say that I hit curves with the same speeds and steering input that I used on the Concours, I just have to get used to a different RPM range. Having my feet out in front of me is really weird also.

I bought the Vision sight unseen with the confidence that it would be every bit as fun as the Connie. The Vision is actually more fun because I know I'm really gonna sneak up on some people and surprise them with this thing. (In the handling department, that is. That's the only time I'll sneak up on anybody.)

Some of you guys can battle over the record for longest stretch of highway from the back seat. I'll be on a back road, windshield lowered, radio off.....hunting.

Edited by SongFan 2007-11-20 9:26 PM
badnvegas
Posted 2007-11-20 11:50 PM (#2123 - in reply to #2093)

Cruiser

Colorado
Tom great story! I am sure there will be a more to come!
SongFan
Posted 2007-11-21 12:15 AM (#2124 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

Memphis

Thanks John.  Every time I get on the bike I think of some words you wrote me when I first got involved here.  "Tom, you're gonna love it."

When I first got the bike I really, really liked it.  The more I ride it, the more I realize "I love this thing."

The article you wrote and the pics of you and Dee were very inspiring.  Thanks for the encouragement. 

BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-21 1:58 AM (#2125 - in reply to #2093)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
Inspiring! I can't wait. You've re-motivated me. Just a question, does it "feel" like your going far? I might take a 3 day week end (after my break in) and do north to south california run. Once I get bead on when and how, I will try and get the other so.cal guys on board and do the stroy thing. Meanwhile, back at the ranch.....My dealer and I are still clueless as to where my bike is.
SongFan
Posted 2007-11-21 8:30 AM (#2150 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

Memphis

The Vision has never felt like it is leaning too far. The only thing I would watch out for is getting too aggressive with it. I went out on my favorite local twisty road and went back and forth on it incrementally faster about 10 times until I was just tapping the floorboards on both sides. Once I hit that point, I pulled over and checked how much sidewall I had left. It was about 1/2 inch from the edge of the tread. The edge of the tread ends rather abruptly on those Dunlop 3's and I don't want to be dragging a floorboard and find out I need 10 more degrees of lean to make the turn.

The lean clearance on the Vision is fantastic. There is really no reason to drag the floorboards on a regular basis. Once you get the suspension dialed in with the kind of road you will be on and the load you are carrying (I use the handy-dandy pump a lot) it will feel planted like it is on rails.

Everything about this bike is built with one purpose in mind; to make you look good. It does it in spades.

BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-21 8:59 AM (#2151 - in reply to #2093)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
some like to ride long distances on the back seat, some like to lean so far the floor boards scrape. Are you all off your nut? I'm not so sure you guys have all your screws tightened,and I like it!
SongFan
Posted 2007-11-21 9:47 AM (#2159 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

Memphis

My first bike was a V-Star 650. Nice, mellow bike that was great to learn on and gain confidence. Also a cheap investment in case I didn't like motorcycles as much as I thought I would. After about 6 months I realized that I needed bike that was better than I was. I wanted the V-Star to go faster, lean farther and brake harder than I was comfortable with. I needed bike with a margin of safety and performance that exceeded my riding style, just in case I got in over my head. After looking at all the options and my budget, I picked the Connie. Long distance (7.5 gal gas tank), sporty handling (but top heavy), excellent brakes and crazy power. All for $5700 brand new. This bike could accelerate, lean and stop to a degree that was way outside my comfort zone. I read a lot of books and visited a lot of forums to see how to safely push the envelope on the bike until I knew where the edge was. Once I found it, I almost never went there again. I had a giant margin of error built in to the bike because I'm really not a kneedragger. I've just learned to be really smooth in curves.

The Vision is the same way. Now that it is broken in I will take it to redline in every gear just to know what the edge feels like, then never go there again unless I have to. I know what the lean limit feels like now and I've also practiced panic stops both in parking lots and from 80 mph. I know what it feels like to have the back tire just start to break loose. Will I do it for fun? Never. Will I freak out if I overcook a turn or have to hammer down on the brakes? I hope not. I've been to the edge and it's pretty far out there.

BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-21 5:34 PM (#2170 - in reply to #2093)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
awesome. I'm in a cold sweat now! gimme,gimmegimme....
lowtone9
Posted 2007-11-21 7:19 PM (#2176 - in reply to #2170)

Cruiser

You know, with these long floorbords we can get our feet under us and our butts off of the seat a little, and gain some additional cornering margin. The truly deranged, like me, might even learn to put a knee on the floorboard. I can`t wait to get in the hills and scare some squids next spring!
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-21 9:08 PM (#2183 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

So Cal
I thought there was a problem with my Vision when I was riding it home. It seemed very twitchy. After riding it a week, I realized I was trying to ride it like my harley (or restling with a 700 lb. gorilla). I have learned to relax and let the Vision do all the work and things are much better now. This thing handles!!! Doesnt take much to make it go where you want.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2007-11-21 10:06 PM (#2186 - in reply to #2093)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I agree with Carl (cjnoho). I was trying to ride my Vis like I rode my 2000 Sport Cruiser. I was over-driving her.Now I just look where I want go & she goes there without much input from me.I'm getting more & more comfortable with "twisties" whereas I was almost afraid to try & ride curvy roads with the SC. BTW I got my handle changed to CoolHandLuke.
okthenbye
Posted 2007-11-22 12:21 AM (#2193 - in reply to #2093)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
For a long time I have been a 2 bike person. I like the sport touring performance of my BMW 1150RT. I also like cruising on my Kingpin and enjoying the scenery. The wifey seems to be more comfortable on the Kingpin. I planned on selling the Kingpin when the Vision arrives but with all that I am hearing I may sell the Beemer as well. When I saw the Vision it reminded me of my BMW and Kingpin rolled into one. The BMW may have to go if the Vision really performs well.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-22 4:10 AM (#2195 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

So Cal
I am in a bit of a dilemma. I have been HD for a looong time. I have bought maybe 4 motorcycle batteries in my 35 years of riding because I DO ride them. Now I have this e-glide sitting in my garage and I know the battery is gonna take a crap because Im having sooo much fun on this Vision.
excelboy10
Posted 2007-11-22 8:00 PM (#2209 - in reply to #2093)

Cruiser

Birmingham, AL 08 MC Tour Premium 2012 Bronze Mist
I too have just finished up my first week and can't say enought good things about the way this thing handles. Just getting off of HD Ultra Screaming Eagle for the past year and a half, it took me a couple of days to understand. The first day riding home (about 130 miles) I wasn't impressed. The next morning I started going over the bike and found the dealer hadn't aired up the tires. The back was running around 32 and the front 31. No wonder!
I aired up the tires and jacked the suspension up to around 40 and took off down HWY 25 close to Birmingham, MAN! Great balance, smooth power out of the curves, great sound out of the stock pipes. Later I found my way to the interstate and opened it up a little. I was looking at 95 and the bike was stable and wanting to go faster. I resisted.
The next day me and the wife went out for her first ride. She really enjoys riding, whatever we have. She never really liked the HD and wished we had stayed with the Goldwing so I was really interested to see how she liked the Vision.
Her comments. "I like the seat, I've just gotta break it in. I sit up higher and can see more and leave that damn windshield up!" (I forgot and left it down after we hit the big road and ran the speed up).
We stopped by a local motorcycle resort/hangout 29 Dreams to get a snack and watch the reaction to the bike. There were probably around 75 bikes there, mostly HD, some GW and assorted others. As we turned in every person in the parking area turned and watched our approach. I couldn't exactly hear them but lip reading I picked up a couple of "What the hell is that" and "I think that's that new Victory"
You would've thought I parked a genuine flying saucer. Many questions, everyone said how much they liked the lines. We went inside and watched out the window as people continued to hover around it, crouching down, leaning over, checking out the different angles. When we returned, another round of questions and answers. We started out and stopped at the exit to wait for traffic. A group of about 10 bikes were approaching from our right, turning left across our bow. It was fun to watch them all check it out and the last one, on a 83 Goldwing shouted to his wife behind him, "That's that new damn Victory"
We pulled away and I rolled on the throttle as we headed up hill.
SongFan
Posted 2007-11-22 8:44 PM (#2210 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

Memphis

That's what I'm talkin' about!  A day in the life.........excellent.

Don't piss off the wife.  She has access to the seat heaters. 

jimtom
Posted 2007-11-27 1:44 PM (#2260 - in reply to #2093)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
good write! good read!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™