You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

I Pod ?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

wseemann
Posted 2008-11-30 12:57 PM (#24263)
Subject: I Pod ?

Cruiser

Boydsville, AR United States
I bought an I pod nano for my Vic. It does not work through the radio controls, display, but does play. Di I need a regular I pod to make the features in the manual work? The manual isn't very informational.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
tralphaz
Posted 2008-11-30 12:59 PM (#24264 - in reply to #24263)
Subject: RE: I Pod ?

Tourer

Did you get the iPod cable?
wseemann
Posted 2008-11-30 1:45 PM (#24266 - in reply to #24263)
Subject: Re: I Pod ?

Cruiser

Opps! I mean the I pod "Shuffle" Yes I did get the cable to go from the mini jack to the I pod jack. Will the shuffle work, or do I need a nano, or classic?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2008-11-30 1:55 PM (#24268 - in reply to #24263)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
do you have the vision ipod cable? im not sure what you mean by mini jack to ipod jack. from what i understand it will Only shuffle if you use the vision ipod cable
VisionTex
Posted 2008-11-30 2:01 PM (#24269 - in reply to #24266)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
wseemann - 2008-11-30 12:45 PM

Opps! I mean the I pod "Shuffle" Yes I did get the cable to go from the mini jack to the I pod jack. Will the shuffle work, or do I need a nano, or classic?

Did you remove the audio jack from your bike under the and plug in the I-pod cable that Victory sells? I have a 3rd generation Nano, it works. Not sure about the shuffle.
wseemann
Posted 2008-11-30 2:08 PM (#24271 - in reply to #24263)

Cruiser

I have the Victory I pod cable. The shuffle has a mini jack on it. I Purchased a adapter that goes from the I pod shuffle to the I pod jack on the bike. I'm getting the feeling that this setup will not do anything more than play through the radio, and not interface with the radio controls. Am I right?
Rebel
Posted 2008-12-01 9:25 AM (#24336 - in reply to #24263)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
You should have the white iPod cable from Victory that replaces the "normal" 1/8" audio plug that comes with the bike. You'll need to pull the old cable and grommet through the wall and unplug it and replace it with the iPod. The flat iPod plug should then plug right into the iPod at the same plug that charges it and hooks it to your computer and allow control through your radio control. I don't know for sure first hand if the iPod Shuffle will plug in like that, but seeing as how it's an iPod product I would think that it has the same connector as the others.

If you have all that and you still can't control it properly, you may need to ensure that you have the latest-greatest audio software update for your radio.
Rebel
Posted 2008-12-01 9:29 AM (#24337 - in reply to #24263)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
ok, I just went to the Apple site and looked at all the pics of the Shuffle. It would appear that it does not have the same multi-pin connector that the larger iPods use, so I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that you can't control it from the radio the way you can the other iPods.

Sorry.
Rebel
Posted 2008-12-01 9:44 AM (#24340 - in reply to #24263)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
This is starting to eat at me now, wseemann. What sort of Shuffle do you have? Is it 1st Gen: long and skinny with built-in USB jack? Or is it 2nd Gen: square with a dock that plugs into the computer?

If it's 2nd Generation, how does it mount to the dock? Is there a little door flap that opens and exposes a connector on the Shuffle? I'm looking at pictures of it, but I can't really tell how it hooks to the dock. I'm thinking that it might dock using the same multi-pin connector that the others use. But then, if it does use that, why wouldn't it just connect to the computer that way instead of using the dock?

Bit of a conundrum that requires some more information.
wseemann
Posted 2008-12-07 4:50 PM (#24675 - in reply to #24263)

Cruiser

The shuffle comes with a doc. The bottom of the shuffle has a Mini jack that the dock plugs into, and when not on the dock, it is where the earphones plug in. I have a cable that has a male mini jack to plug into the shuffle, and the other end of the cable, has a female I pod end that will plug into the I pod cord on the bike. I think the bike has a recall to flash the computer, but I can't get it to the dealer until after the first of the year. I still think I wasted my money on a shuffle.
bikerdave48
Posted 2008-12-07 5:31 PM (#24676 - in reply to #24263)

Cruiser

New Castle Delaware
From what I was told the IPOD shuffle will not work with the controls. The I have a 3rd gen nano and it works great.
Hippo
Posted 2008-12-07 8:11 PM (#24680 - in reply to #24263)

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
The iPod Shuffle does not work with the 30-pin dock connector. It will only work with the mini-headphone cable and the only controls that will work are volume.

iPod nano, iPod touch and iPhone are the only iPods which will work with the iPod cable. While the Classic would work, there is an issue with the natural frequency and it will stop working after awhile.

The iPod 1st,2nd and 3rd generation will all work fine - with both charging and controls. The iPod 4g and newer iPod Touches will not charge without an adapter - because Victory did not follow Apple guidelines.

Hippo
spursmvp
Posted 2008-12-08 7:49 AM (#24699 - in reply to #24263)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
I went to ebay and bought a second generation Ipod Nano (8 gb) for about $70. It works fairly well with the controls. The problem I keep having is that when I put the ipod on 'shuffle' and use the handlebar controls it seems to want to play the same 20-30 songs over and over again, even though there are 1700 songs on it. I don't have separate play lists and perhaps I need to have them.

Does anyone else experience this 'looping' effect? How did you remedy this?

Besides this issue....if the Ipod moves around too much in the storage compartment the plug will sometimes become loose and then it all shuts down. I'm about ready to scrap the Ipod set up and go with Sirius satellite radio.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-12-08 8:25 AM (#24700 - in reply to #24699)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I had the same problem with only playing certain songs and I had mine set up on playlists. In fact I post that problem several months back, no one replied. As posted ealier, I got tired of dealing with the Ipod and put in a Sirius radio. Much happier with it. I had the Nano 3rd gen, 4GB unit.
Rebel
Posted 2008-12-08 10:00 AM (#24702 - in reply to #24263)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Whenever I've had problems with the songs that my iPod plays it always had to do with the play settings of the iPod. There is the normal Shuffle setting, but also check your other settings to make sure it's not set for album or artist play. As an example of what I'm talking about, recently I hit shuffle and got a nice AC/DC song. When that was done another AC/DC song played, then about 3 more. Finally it played a VanHalen song. Then it played 2 more. Then it went to .... And so on. I was getting frustrated and my 10 year old finally took it from me and discovered my problem. While I did have shuffle on, I had it set for Album, so it was playing all the songs I had on there from one album then picking a random album to play next.

As far as the iPod moving around too much, one of the members here used a piece of velcro to mount his on the outboard wall of the glovebox and it worked great. He even had a picture of it mounted in there. I don't remember who it was or what thread it was in, but it was within that last 2 months, so it shouldn't be too hard to hunt down.
clubford00
Posted 2008-12-08 10:25 AM (#24703 - in reply to #24263)

Tourer

Buffalo Grove,Ill
What about the 16 gig touch? the ole lady is getting me one for Christmas
Rebel
Posted 2008-12-08 1:35 PM (#24715 - in reply to #24263)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
As long as it's not a Harddrive-style iPod you shouldn't have problems with playability. However, as Hippo mentioned, Apple has changed the pin-outs on the new generation iPods and they won't charge on the Vic cable.
racershawn
Posted 2008-12-08 2:02 PM (#24716 - in reply to #24263)
Subject: RE: I Pod ?

Cruiser

Hampton Va
my 16gb touch works well but my new ihone will not work....and i know about the charging problem i am talking about the music plaing
wseemann
Posted 2008-12-28 5:05 PM (#25692 - in reply to #24263)

Cruiser

My problem is solved! The co piolet baught me a 4 gig nano. Now I have the right working unit. It does consern me that it will not charge. Is there a fix for this, or do I have to bad mouth the electrical designers at Victory, and live with it?
Waiting for dry roads in ND.
Hippo
Posted 2008-12-28 8:43 PM (#25699 - in reply to #24263)

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
The shuffle will only play with the stock cable and none of the other iPod features will work.

With your new nano you must buy an adapter to make it charge with the Victory cable because Polaris did not follow Apple's specifications for the 30-pin connecter, nor pay their license fee. Between the 3g and 4generation iPods FireWire charging was dropped in favor of USB only, hence the change in the pin configurations. The Victory cable is sending the power on the FireWare port not the USB port.

Hippo
cw1115
Posted 2008-12-28 11:42 PM (#25713 - in reply to #24263)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
This is whar Stu posted on another thread about how to handle the charging problem.

With the release of the newest generation iPods and the new iPhone 3G, Apple discontinued the firewire pin out for charging the newer iPods with some charging systems (i.e. the Vision) Apple told manufacturers that this was going to happen but some continued to use the firewire pinouts. I ran into the same problem with my Jeep. The new iPhone would not charge but the music played fine because no music pin outs were changed. Here is the solution to fix the problem, an inline adapter that changes the 12 volt firewire to 5 volt USB on the correct pins. Just insert this adapter between the cable and your new ipod/iPhone and all should work fine.

http://www.cablejive.com/iphone_3g_charge_converter.html

Hope this helps!

-----
Stuart

Edited by cw1115 2008-12-28 11:43 PM
tralphaz
Posted 2008-12-29 12:09 AM (#25715 - in reply to #24699)

Tourer

spursmvp - 2008-12-08 4:49 AM

The problem I keep having is that when I put the ipod on 'shuffle' and use the handlebar controls it seems to want to play the same 20-30 songs over and over again, even though there are 1700 songs on it.

Shuffle will not work on the bike, according to the manual: button #1 accesses the main library and buttons 2-12 access user defined play-lists.
What I've noticed is when I push button #1 it will start playing songs in alphabetical order.
The only thing I can't recall is if the party shuffle is assigned to a # button, might be worth checking out. this from the itunes help file "iTunes can create a playlist of random songs from your library or a playlist. A Party Shuffle playlist continually updates itself (it's a "live mix"), and you can edit it at any time."

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™