You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

How cold is too cold winter riders
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

slowryder
Posted 2008-12-04 9:29 AM (#24513)
Subject: How cold is too cold winter riders

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
I just have a visit to the Victory dealer where we were discussing the operating temps of the engine prior to ridering. He tells me that not only must the oil be at 150 degs, but also the intake temp must be at 120 degs. prior to riding. The results of not letting it heat up to proper operating temps will be fouled plugs, poor gas mileage, rough idle and running, etc:. I'm told that this machine needs to be at this min. operating temps before riding AND THAT IF IT GETS TO COLD IT MAY NOT REACH THOSE TEMPS. The tech hooked up to the computer to my Vision off a connection next to the schroder valve. Now the sensors are in place from Victory, WHY DON'T I HAVE GAUGES OR INPUT INTO MY DIGITAL DISPLAY ON MY RIDE TO TELL ME THIS? My Question is does anyone know at what outside temperature will this bike not be able to maintain operating temperature? And does anyone make display gauges that can be tapped into the current sensors to give me this information without just buying an oil temp dip stick? Obviously you need both temperatures, not just one of TWO temperature indicators for proper operation and performance? Ahhh! We live and learn, may the adventure never stop and road be smooth, I dislike bumps, but I hate pot holes.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SongFan
Posted 2008-12-04 11:12 AM (#24516 - in reply to #24513)
Subject: RE: How cold is too cold winter riders

Visionary

Memphis
I've got 21,000 miles on the original plugs and have ridden down to 19 degrees.  The bike runs perfectly.

Edited by SongFan 2008-12-04 11:13 AM
luzzy
Posted 2008-12-04 11:36 AM (#24523 - in reply to #24513)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
This bike will run in temps way colder than you'll ever ride. Good rule of thumb for riding after starting is to put your hand on one of the cylinders. When they are warm to hot - you're ready to roll.(obviously use your head)They'll warm up even in sub freezing temps.

If you needed gauges for temp sensors , they'd be on there. I don't know of any stock bike or car with an intake temp gauge.

That being said - We expect to see you at the Polar Bear Club run to Atlantic Highlands , NJ in February
varyder
Posted 2008-12-04 12:44 PM (#24531 - in reply to #24523)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

You all are giving me way too much to think about. Generally I ride, I've got about a 35 mile commute to and fro work and I keep the Bentley outside. It has been in the twenties and I have ridden in the teens and mine fires up and runs fine. It might hiccup once or twice since I have a stop sign within an 1/8 of a mile from my drive. I let it warm about 1 minute to 2 minutes before slowly departing. I don't start hitting it hard until I get to the interstate about 3 miles from the house. I've not know the bike to run bad and I appreciate the EFI in the cold times as it fires up nearly the same regardless of temp. I ride all winter with the exception of when there is frozen precipitation in the forecast or has occurred. Mostly because other folk don't know how to drive in the stuff and almost assuredly I would get creamed by some body that doesn't understand that there is no traction on ICE. Based on what I've read here perhaps I need to put an autostart on the bike and get it cranked well before I come out of the house.

Funny thing my wife asked me the other morning when she first exclaimed, "I know you're not riding as cold as it is?" I just stared at her as I usually do when she asked "Do you want me to go out and start it so it'll be warm when you get in?"

Lotzafun
Posted 2008-12-04 1:25 PM (#24537 - in reply to #24531)
Subject: Re: How cold is too cold winter riders

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
I'm almost ready to say that whoever at this dealer told you this has no clue what they are talking about. But I'm not going to go that far....yet. Need a little clarification first. Perhaps there is some confusion in the translation?

Is this person saying that your bike should NOT be run in colder temperatures?

There is no reason that your oil MUST be at 150 or your intake must be at 120 prior to riding.

They are somewhat correct that riding a bike before the operating temps get up a bit can be bad for the plugs which then leads into lower fuel mileage and in the long run some rough idle and overall lower performance, but this would require a lot of start & ride cycles prior to causing any type of issues. True, in colder riding you might want to allow the bike to run a little bit longer than usual prior to riding. But only maybe a minute or two so the oil gets moving around a bit. Don't rev the throttle to get the engine warmer quicker. However there is no risk of hurting anything by running a bike in the cold.

You said it yourself...."live and learn"....well the lesson learned from this post is that a dealer can sometimes be incorrect.

Lotzafun
Posted 2008-12-04 1:30 PM (#24538 - in reply to #24513)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
Songfan, Luzzy, Varyder......

Any of you run any type of fuel additve such as Heet or similar?
SongFan
Posted 2008-12-04 1:31 PM (#24539 - in reply to #24513)

Visionary

Memphis
Nope, just 93 octane.
Lotzafun
Posted 2008-12-04 8:18 PM (#24558 - in reply to #24513)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Got to thinking about something.......

If a dealer is going to possibly recommend that a Vision not be ran in cold weather, or only ran under proper operating temps.....

Then how would they explain this theory to a snowmobile rider????

luzzy
Posted 2008-12-04 8:53 PM (#24563 - in reply to #24538)

Cruiser

Coastal , NJ
Lotzafun - 2008-12-04 1:30 PM

Songfan, Luzzy, Varyder......

Any of you run any type of fuel additve such as Heet or similar?

93 octane in summer

Jet Fuel for winter
radioteacher
Posted 2008-12-05 6:57 AM (#24590 - in reply to #24563)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I run 93 octane in the summer and race fuel/nitro mix in the winter.

Yes, I am just kidding.

coachwes
Posted 2008-12-09 10:30 PM (#24774 - in reply to #24513)

Puddle Jumper

savannah ga
I agree it sucks not knowing the engine temp . I start mine up then go in the house and gear up then go out and ride . on really cold mornings like in the 20s ill fire it up go in and give it a coulple mins then gear up and ride . Iam afraid of to long of a warm up due to not able to cool it self down this bothers me . Iam use to firing up my goldwing and doing my morning stuff then go ride because of the rad and fan to back me up i know i wont damage anything . So far it seems to ride great in the cold so i must be close to proper riding temp.
okthenbye
Posted 2008-12-10 12:15 AM (#24779 - in reply to #24513)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
As long as it gets some oil circulation before riding you won't have any problems. In most cases that is 1 to 2 minutes and then a slow start. These bikes are meant to and as long as you keep up the regular services you can count on the reliability. No need to pamper it, ride it and enjoy your ride! :-)

Yellowjacket
Posted 2008-12-30 12:16 AM (#25762 - in reply to #24513)

New user

I have ridden both a Vegas and a Vision down to 17-20 degrees and would simply let the engine warm up for 3-7 minutes on mid to high idle while I suit up the top half of my heated gear and load up my work stuff in the bags or trunk the ride normally. I am confident that I can ride off immediately, but I lived in Chicago for 15 years so have a routine in cold weather. My local dealer told me that the computer is set to treat the bike as cold for about 7-8 minutes and switch to warm mode. The V-Twins are solid. A proper mapping by an expert mechanic really helps. Good tire pressure and the rest of care help too. If you ride frequently, no battery tender may be needed. I have not needed any fuel additive. A while back I had some condensation or bad gas and I used "Rocket Fuel" additive for the first time and one tube and one tank of gas cleared up the problem. BTW the Vision fairing and windshield provide great coverage. I had my faceshield open in 40 degree weather (with neck warmers and a full face helmet) and enjoyed the ride tremendously.
david.terry
Posted 2009-01-01 10:21 PM (#25903 - in reply to #24513)

Cruiser

Madison, AL
I ride in the cold going to work and folks poke fun at me a little. However, I'm not into pain or suffering, it is just that this bike does an excellent job of protecting you from the elements. When I first started riding the Vision in cold weather I wayyy over dressed, I thought I was back on my M109 or Sporty. Cold is no issue, now ice and freezing rain calls for the 4WD, I'm not that hard core on riding a motorcycle. .
wjoel
Posted 2009-01-01 10:31 PM (#25905 - in reply to #24513)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
I've been riding in temps down to the upper 30's, up until we got a little snow the last 2 weeks.
Very comfortable with the heated grips/seats on. Also, took out my Yamaha Silverado,to keep
it up-will be selling it next month. What a big difference in cold & wind protection on the 2 bikes.
Vision #1 !

08 Steel Gray Vision
06 Yamaha 1100 Silverado
witchbiker
Posted 2009-01-02 10:05 AM (#25923 - in reply to #24513)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States
With me, it's not how cold it is, but how deep the snow bank is, and can I get through it without the VV hanging up on the frame!!!
Squeak
Posted 2009-01-04 10:50 AM (#26035 - in reply to #24513)

Cruiser

Brighton, Colorado
Just for the hell of it, I took my bike out a couple weeks ago when it was 15 below. Took a little while for it to start (had the battery tender goin') and then waited about 10 minutes for it to warm up. Had flannel lined jeans, two sets of gloves, extra socks in my boots, a neoprene mask, 2 stockin' hats, t-shirt, turtle neck, flannel shirt, my Kilimangaro jacket, heated grips turned on high, seat turned on high and NO BRAINS. Was out for about 30 minutes. Ran great, lots of protection from the wind. Probably wouldn't do it every day, but the bike performed like it always does.
Trekwolf164
Posted 2009-01-04 1:44 PM (#26042 - in reply to #24513)

Iron Butt

New York State
Never to cold for a ride on the Vision as long as the roads are free of ice and sand
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™