You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

To cam or not to cam
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

katman
Posted 2016-05-24 6:18 PM (#184155)
Subject: To cam or not to cam

Puddle Jumper

bowling green ky
I have an 08 vision with 30,000 on it. Atom bomb pipes flash and hi flow front air filter. I had been wanting to cam mine for a while now but was afraid i woudnt get enough bang for my buck. I pulled the trigger on a set of andrews 438 cams a power commander 5 and top air filter. This bike should come from the factory like this. It is now a beast. I should have done this years ago. Anybody on the fence about getting cams. Dont wait do it now you wont regret it at all. You will only regret that you didnt do it sooner
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-05-24 10:13 PM (#184158 - in reply to #184155)
Subject: Re: To cam or not to cam

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
The you should get the timing wheel as well ! I didn't get cams yet...but holy crap that timing wheel made my 2011 vision come alive.! BTW thanks for the hEads up on the cams.. I've been thinking about those new XV-30 cams..
varyder
Posted 2016-05-25 7:27 AM (#184159 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I appreciate this insight. I've remained stock all these years with the case never being opened. The stock Vision has always given me what I needed and more at 194,700 miles and still running strong. I'm glad you all enjoy the extra oomph.
boatsrfun
Posted 2016-05-25 10:32 AM (#184162 - in reply to #184155)

Cruiser

My results with just cams and fuel controler

(My Dyno.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments My Dyno.jpg (82KB - 2 downloads)
jimtom
Posted 2016-05-25 2:37 PM (#184167 - in reply to #184159)

Visionary

Sand Rock, AL United States
Chris, please update your signature. I have been looking at the "190,###" thinking you weren't riding are something was wrong.
jimtom
Posted 2016-05-25 2:40 PM (#184168 - in reply to #184155)
Subject: RE: To cam or not to cam

Visionary

katman - 2016-05-24 6:18 PM

I have an 08 vision with 30,000 on it. Atom bomb pipes flash and hi flow front air filter. I had been wanting to cam mine for a while now but was afraid i woudnt get enough bang for my buck. I pulled the trigger on a set of andrews 438 cams a power commander 5 and top air filter. This bike should come from the factory like this. It is now a beast. I should have done this years ago. Anybody on the fence about getting cams. Dont wait do it now you wont regret it at all. You will only regret that you didnt do it sooner

I have the timing wheel in my 2009 and can't imagine wanting more. I also got a surprise timing wheel in my salvage engine for my 2008. It runs ok (but nowhere near as well as Ruby86 aka the 2009 Anny) 2008 needs tuning and or reflash, I'm sure. my local tech does not have a dyno or computer to properly introduce this new engine to the fueling system.

Edited by jimtom 2016-05-25 2:45 PM
ljurgens
Posted 2016-05-26 7:02 AM (#184172 - in reply to #184159)

Tourer

West Salem, WI United States

varyder - 2016-05-25 7:27 AM I appreciate this insight. I've remained stock all these years with the case never being opened. The stock Vision has always given me what I needed and more at 194,700 miles and still running strong. I'm glad you all enjoy the extra oomph.

Chris, I think thats exactly why I am only going to go with the top filter and PCV with a Dyno tune. I already have the timing wheel and that did wake the bike up a bit. I don't need much more, but want that extra lower end torque. The PCV and tune are really just to smooth out everything and get both cylinders working together at top efficiency.

jimtom
Posted 2016-05-26 7:07 AM (#184173 - in reply to #184172)

Visionary

couple the quarter turn throttle ring with an ATW and you got a different motorcycle
diamonbird
Posted 2016-05-26 7:17 AM (#184174 - in reply to #184155)

Cruiser

Mechanicsville, VA United States
I've got cams,PCV,top airfilter,timing wheel, stage 2 level 2 exhaust and I've had to reduce the timing in the PCV to stop the pinging....I started out at +4 degs. on the timing wheel and zero on the PCV and it pinged, then reduced the timing wheel to +3 and it pinged, now I'm at +2 and still getting the ping so I reduced the timing on the PCV to -5 degs. and finally the pinging is gone....I think after I get back from Vacation I will remove the timing wheel and put it up for sale. I have read while the timing wheel on some Vision only work in neg.(-)degs. Having the Power Commander V allows you to adjust timing same as the timing wheel but I didn't know that before buying the wheel and you don't have to twist any wrenches just push computer buttons.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-05-27 9:37 AM (#184191 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
you will be the 3 or 4th person i heard that wanted to remove the timing wheel.. its strange how some bikes can have them and some just cant.. i have a timing wheel set to +4 on my 2011 vision.. i have the S1L1 exhaust, ness top and front filter. PCV with AUTO TUNE and now the timng wheel.. i have not ridden 2 up yet with the wheel.. i hope i never getting pinging.. as i LOVE that timing wheel.. the best bang for the buck !! makes me 2011 feel like i put alot more performance mods on than just timing...
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-05-27 9:43 AM (#184192 - in reply to #184174)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
diamonbird - 2016-05-26 7:17 AM

I've got cams,PCV,top airfilter,timing wheel, stage 2 level 2 exhaust and I've had to reduce the timing in the PCV to stop the pinging....I started out at +4 degs. on the timing wheel and zero on the PCV and it pinged, then reduced the timing wheel to +3 and it pinged, now I'm at +2 and still getting the ping so I reduced the timing on the PCV to -5 degs. and finally the pinging is gone....I think after I get back from Vacation I will remove the timing wheel and put it up for sale. I have read while the timing wheel on some Vision only work in neg.(-)degs. Having the Power Commander V allows you to adjust timing same as the timing wheel but I didn't know that before buying the wheel and you don't have to twist any wrenches just push computer buttons.

i was wondering since the pcv only allows timing adjustments from 2500 rpm and above. do you get pinging below 2500?
taz456
Posted 2016-06-01 1:34 PM (#184326 - in reply to #184155)

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
I am with varyder, stock is what I started with and I see no reason to go after more than that. The bike is just that good. I don't feel as though I have to do any mods or power increases to it.
olekneedragger
Posted 2016-06-16 5:11 PM (#184720 - in reply to #184326)

Puddle Jumper

taz456 - 2016-06-01 1:34 PM

I am with varyder, stock is what I started with and I see no reason to go after more than that. The bike is just that good. I don't feel as though I have to do any mods or power increases to it.

I respect that you like your bike stock, I'm not trying to blow smoke, but some of us are in the "can't leave good enough alone" camp. I wish I had grown up instead of just grown old and I did like the Vision or an Indian as is, it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier. I have cams, with all of the usual suspects (PC-V) and just recently upgraded the suspension with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s in the front with a Penske shock in the rear. I ride with some other brands and types of bikes and I get a kick out ambushing someone who just talked smack about how fast his bike is and how well it handles. Kevin X told me Lloydz will be coming out with a turbo kit for the Vision in the near future that will bump the power into the 150HP range at the rear wheels for a cheaper price than the supercharger kit. I can't wait.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-17 7:34 AM (#184725 - in reply to #184720)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
olekneedragger - 2016-06-16 5:11 PM

I respect that you like your bike stock, I'm not trying to blow smoke, but some of us are in the "can't leave good enough alone" camp. I wish I had grown up instead of just grown old and I did like the Vision or an Indian as is, it would be a whole lot cheaper and easier. I have cams, with all of the usual suspects (PC-V) and just recently upgraded the suspension with Traxxion Dynamics AK-20s in the front with a Penske shock in the rear. I ride with some other brands and types of bikes and I get a kick out ambushing someone who just talked smack about how fast his bike is and how well it handles. Kevin X told me Lloydz will be coming out with a turbo kit for the Vision in the near future that will bump the power into the 150HP range at the rear wheels for a cheaper price than the supercharger kit. I can't wait.

Yep!! Same here. 65 year old kid at heart.

Mine is a true "sleeper" that looks and sounds 100% stock. Stock exhaust. Lloydz cams, VFCIII, top filter, and Lloydz ECU reflash. Never been on a dyno. Don't need it. The VFCIII was tuned by the road test method, which works well. We ride with good friends that ride Harleys and Goldwings. The Goldwings are the "trash talkers" around the Harleys, BUT they learned to leave my Vision alone.

The Goldwings can take the 110 SE Harleys, and I can take the Goldwings that have tried.

Ronnie
Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-17 1:32 PM (#184730 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
So far my timing wheel set to +2 with riding 2 up and bike fully loaded with gear did not ping when u rode down to helen Ga and back .. it was perfect ! But at +4 it pinged with just me.. when the Temps got over 80f
Jimbo62
Posted 2016-06-17 9:13 PM (#184735 - in reply to #184155)

Cruiser

Moncks Corner, SC United States
Does anyone know the difference (if any) between the Lloydz cams and the Andrews 438 cams? I have the Lloydz Cams and I like them.
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-18 7:03 PM (#184748 - in reply to #184174)

Visionary

diamonbird - 2016-05-26 7:17 AM I've got cams,PCV,top airfilter,timing wheel, stage 2 level 2 exhaust and I've had to reduce the timing in the PCV to stop the pinging....I started out at +4 degs. on the timing wheel and zero on the PCV and it pinged, then reduced the timing wheel to +3 and it pinged, now I'm at +2 and still getting the ping so I reduced the timing on the PCV to -5 degs. and finally the pinging is gone....I think after I get back from Vacation I will remove the timing wheel and put it up for sale. I have read while the timing wheel on some Vision only work in neg.(-)degs. Having the Power Commander V allows you to adjust timing same as the timing wheel but I didn't know that before buying the wheel and you don't have to twist any wrenches just push computer buttons.

But the PCV does not change timming below 2500 rpm's 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_RjEdk5ZI

johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-18 7:04 PM (#184749 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3_RjEdk5ZI
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-18 7:06 PM (#184750 - in reply to #184730)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2016-06-17 1:32 PM So far my timing wheel set to +2 with riding 2 up and bike fully loaded with gear did not ping when u rode down to helen Ga and back .. it was perfect ! But at +4 it pinged with just me.. when the Temps got over 80f

I had mine at +4 and with 91 octane. When temps got over 95 degrees I would get pinging. I dropped mine down to +3 and run 89 octane now and have never had pinging 

Arkainzeye
Posted 2016-06-18 9:57 PM (#184753 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I might try 3 then ..
johnnyvision
Posted 2016-06-19 5:42 PM (#184766 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

katman

did you get cams or not
lowtone9
Posted 2016-06-21 12:25 PM (#184918 - in reply to #184720)

Cruiser

olekneedragger - 2016-06-16 4:11 PM

How are you liking the suspension upgrades? Have you been in the mountains with that?
donetracey
Posted 2016-06-23 3:56 PM (#184940 - in reply to #184155)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Anyone remember KevinX ??? He did my cams in 2008 in Bellingham Wa. as well as several more bikes while on a visit from Florida. The change was VERY noticeable and comfortable. Much more oomph from idle to top end. With Co-Pilot always aboard - the Vision easily pulls away from any HD and after 8 years, no problems. I see that Victory is now advertising S&S Cams for all 106 engines.
rdbudd
Posted 2016-06-23 4:48 PM (#184941 - in reply to #184940)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
donetracey - 2016-06-23 3:56 PM

Anyone remember KevinX ??? He did my cams in 2008 in Bellingham Wa. as well as several more bikes while on a visit from Florida. The change was VERY noticeable and comfortable. Much more oomph from idle to top end. With Co-Pilot always aboard - the Vision easily pulls away from any HD and after 8 years, no problems. I see that Victory is now advertising S&S Cams for all 106 engines.

Sure do. And Rylan. Rylan did mine way back when. I got about a 30% increase in horsepower--while running the stock exhaust no less.

In the Victory ads for the S&S cams, they claim a 20% increase in power, and you HAVE to buy the exhaust upgrade, and you have to have it all installed by a dealer and have them reflash your ECU. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$spendy.

I still run the stock exhaust with Lloydz cams and VFCIII and can run away from Harleys AND Goldwings. The S&S setup won't do that if it only gets you a 20% increase as they advertise. A 20% increase might let you show up some Harleys, but it won't let you outrun the Goldwings. You might almost keep up.

Lloydz stuff is a far better deal. And, he has been doing Victory performance for nearly as long as Victory has been around.

Ronnie
Jimbo62
Posted 2016-06-23 8:28 PM (#184963 - in reply to #184155)

Cruiser

Moncks Corner, SC United States
I agree. I have Lloydz everything except exhaust, and I am happy with my 112 HP/115 TQ. When I started upgrading my Vision, I wasn't after squeezing every last drop out of the engine. Based on what I read in this forum and talking to friends, I chose what I felt would give me a significant increase in performance without breaking the bank.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™