You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Be Careful!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

DesertJim
Posted 2007-11-29 10:30 AM (#2317)
Subject: Be Careful!

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
Yesterday I was on a local beltway in my cage going to a meeting and had a four lane stop and go. When I arrived at the holdup it was a fellow biker down and it wasn't pretty. I won't go into details, but it appeared all life support measures were under way. I haven't read if he survived.

We all know our risks and rewards out there, but something like this always hits me pretty hard.

Lets be safe on our Visions!!!!

Top of the page Bottom of the page
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-29 9:11 PM (#2329 - in reply to #2317)
Subject: Re: Be Careful!

Visionary

So Cal
When you have Vision style & comfort, no reason to be in a hurry. Going fast just shortens the ride.
VisionTex
Posted 2007-11-29 9:58 PM (#2336 - in reply to #2317)
Subject: RE: Be Careful!

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
It is only going to get worse, there is so many people driving clueless. For folks that have not riden for a long time, they may not know what to look for when riding to avoid the hazard. So with that, I would like to ask us all to contribute to others here what they do to stay safe while riding. If we can keep this going we can all share some really good ideas about riding safe with each other. So to start this here is one of my ways to ride safer.

Braking is very important in accident or hazard evasion, I ride most of the time with my front brake and clutch covered. This gives me a very good response time to the hazard, it has actually saved me from slamming into a car that pulled out in front of me a long time ago.

Share your ride safe knowledge.

pollolittle
Posted 2007-11-29 10:17 PM (#2337 - in reply to #2317)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
Learn how to use input from the handlebars to do quick maneuvers and do them often. Do enough of it to be able to go across a couple of lanes if need be. The other thing, Learn how to ride a dirt bike, if you can maneuver and handle ground shifting under you, it gets a lot easier when hitting the pavement and you don't panic as much when you hit a little bit of road grit.
WillieByte
Posted 2007-11-30 12:26 AM (#2346 - in reply to #2317)

Cruiser

Plainfield Illinois
Tuesday evening in Scottsdale someone on a bike was killed while being persued at high speed by the cops.
The cops claim they had broken the chase off prior to the accident that caused the death. Others on the scene tell a different story.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/chasefatal11272007-CR...

If this is the accident that started this thread, safety isn't the issue, stupidity is.

Here in Illinois, we have a former governor in a federal prison for taking campaign contributions in exchange for CDL's. One of those CDL's went to an immigrant truck driver that wiped out a family in an accident in another state.
Many of the jackasses here that tailgate at 80 or 90 mph on expressways -- often 10 feet or less off the bumper in front of them -- apparently got their driver's licenses either from a political contribution or else off the back of a box of Trix. Cops included.
Every morning driving up 355 there is always at least one trooper or county sheriff that tailgates in the left lane at high speed until the poor sucker in front of him looks up into the rear view mirror and fills his pants while hastily moving over a lane only to watch the cop move up the next car and repeat the stunt. In persuit? Nope. Just late for work as the trooper gets off at Ogden Ave. (state police district HQ) each morning. The cook county sheriff has a girlfriend he links up with at a gas station on dundee road in Arlington Heights.

I haven't ridden a bike in years. SO? How much experience do I need to recognize that riding a bike around here on the expressways is life threatening?

okokokOHKAY, you win. I should forget it. But wut the hell, wut else is there to do? We don't have any sports teams here that I'd call "professional". I get bored. I wanna new Vision and I'm gunna get one even if I hafta leave this nuthouse to ride it w/o gettin killed.
cjnoho
Posted 2007-11-30 2:36 AM (#2347 - in reply to #2317)

Visionary

So Cal
I look at the face behind the wheel. Where its looking and what its doing. If they dont seem to be paying attension in my direction, I slow down and expect the worst. I use the horn a lot also, if they start to creep up from a side street or intersection before I pass, I give them the horn (or the finger) they probably dont know what they did wrong, but hopefully it makes them think. The worst part about the Vision is people driving beside you trying to get a better look. It limits my options for escape if something happens. So I just roll on the throttle and leave them behind.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-11-30 3:04 AM (#2349 - in reply to #2317)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
Safety Tips: Never EVER let your guard down! Treat every cage as if they are out to run you off the road!

Never drive in ONLY a defensive posture. A good offense in certain situations is a must. Be ready to throttle thru and around the Soccor
Moms mini van as she jostles a hot coffee, kids jumping around, applying makeup, and conference calling on her cell phone. Who's driving the van? On our military installation, it is now ILLEGAL to take on cell phones while driving. It is strictly enforced, and that makes it much safer to drive my bike on base.

Be AWARE of the road as far as you can see. The old lady/man at the stop sign will look right into your eyes before pulling out in front of you. Always continue to think of an escape route!

Change lanes! If your going the speed limit and don't need to pass, stay in the right lane! If you need to pass, SIGNAL early, look in your mirrors, then turn your head (actually look!) The teenager in the "drifter" import going 80mph in a 55 will arrive at your rear tire very quickly if you let your guard down.

California Riders: WHITE LINE with caution. Once you get comfy with the practice is when someone from Nebraska makes a lane change with out signaling.
Loud pipes? I've only heard them after the bike has passed. Prove to me that you rely on your loud pipes to save your life instead good abilities, and awareness. I'm all for loud pipes, because it sounds cool. There is no safety in it. It may just scare the crap out of the day dreamer you just passed though...

BE SEEN! Ever made fun of that dummy who had his lights on during the day? What about the GW/cruiser lit up like a Christmas tree at night? Well, you seen him didn't you!

Take a SAFETY COURSE! Practice what you've learned every time you ride. I've been riding for over a decade, and still frequently refer to the safety course I took in 1999. Pushing/Pulling the handle bars, practicing quick stops in an empty P-lot, and slow turns. Leaning with a bit of pull/push on the bars makes that twisty a blast! I rate myself on every twisty I take. Throttling thru a twisty just right is almost a religious experience. Anyone can ride straight, but the good rider can safely manuever thru a twisty at speed and come out of feeling like a rock star!
Continue on gents... just a few nuggets I thought could keep the ball rolling.
g1nomad
Posted 2007-11-30 10:07 AM (#2381 - in reply to #2336)

Tourer

SC, Bluffton
VisionTex - 2007-11-29 9:58 PM

It is only going to get worse

And that is the way the school system here in SC wants it. They only give drivers
training to A & B students. ???? Here I thought everyone drove. My three step
kids, not knowing I was a failure in school, were also failures. So they gave the
school system the middle finger and waited until they were 18. At the age, it is
not required to have taken a course to get a license. Oh, but anyone can take
Choir or Golf in high school. Oh yeah, because that is going to benefit society.

Herb
DesertJim
Posted 2007-11-30 11:19 AM (#2385 - in reply to #2346)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
WillieByte - 2007-11-29 9:26 PM

Tuesday evening in Scottsdale someone on a bike was killed while being persued at high speed by the cops.
The cops claim they had broken the chase off prior to the accident that caused the death. Others on the scene tell a different story.

http://www.azcentral.com/12news/news/articles/chasefatal11272007-CR...

If this is the accident that started this thread, safety isn't the issue, stupidity is.

Here in Illinois, we have a former governor in a federal prison for taking campaign contributions in exchange for CDL's. One of those CDL's went to an immigrant truck driver that wiped out a family in an accident in another state.
Many of the jackasses here that tailgate at 80 or 90 mph on expressways -- often 10 feet or less off the bumper in front of them -- apparently got their driver's licenses either from a political contribution or else off the back of a box of Trix. Cops included.
Every morning driving up 355 there is always at least one trooper or county sheriff that tailgates in the left lane at high speed until the poor sucker in front of him looks up into the rear view mirror and fills his pants while hastily moving over a lane only to watch the cop move up the next car and repeat the stunt. In persuit? Nope. Just late for work as the trooper gets off at Ogden Ave. (state police district HQ) each morning. The cook county sheriff has a girlfriend he links up with at a gas station on dundee road in Arlington Heights.

I haven't ridden a bike in years. SO? How much experience do I need to recognize that riding a bike around here on the expressways is life threatening?

okokokOHKAY, you win. I should forget it. But wut the hell, wut else is there to do? We don't have any sports teams here that I'd call "professional". I get bored. I wanna new Vision and I'm gunna get one even if I hafta leave this nuthouse to ride it w/o gettin killed.

WillieByte - This one was not the accident I came on to but yet another. There are several here on a daily basis, some fatal some not. The crotch rocket guys, maybe this one, seem to be the worst. They have clocked several at more than 110 mph on the beltways, I think the fastest I remember recently was 122. He was caught on camera radar, flippin off the camera, no license plate and they never identified him. Ther is a crotch rocket club here in AZ where you have to outrun the Cops to be be in the membership.
SongFan
Posted 2007-11-30 11:25 AM (#2386 - in reply to #2317)

Visionary

Memphis
Gawkers on the road are a real problem with this bike.  Whenever you are on a road with two or more lanes going in your direction, they love to pull right into your blind spot and stay there.  My anxiety level goes way up and all I can think about is losing them.  It forces me to ride differently than I'm used to and I get more aggressive with speed and lane changes.  Eventually I hope I can see them coming and adjust accordingly but for now I hate it.
DesertJim
Posted 2007-11-30 11:35 AM (#2387 - in reply to #2386)

Tourer

Scottsdale AZ
SongFan - 2007-11-30 8:25 AM

Gawkers on the road are a real problem with this bike. Whenever you are on a road with two or more lanes going in your direction, they love to pull right into your blind spot and stay there. My anxiety level goes way up and all I can think about is losing them. It forces me to ride differently than I'm used to and I get more aggressive with speed and lane changes. Eventually I hope I can see them coming and adjust accordingly but for now I hate it.

Songfan, I couldn't agree more about the gawkers. I had a guy in a pickup in the next lane recently, with a camera phone out his drivers side takin pics at 50 mph. Another gawker wanted me to pull over on a gravel shoulder. They are nut cases. I hate it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™