You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fork oil question
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

cw1115
Posted 2009-01-07 5:43 PM (#26262)
Subject: Fork oil question

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
The recommended interval for replacing the oil in the forks is 15,000 miles. I am quickly approaching 15K on my Vision. Looking at the service manual this looks like a royal pain. Has anyone done this or had it done at the dealer? Just wondering if I can do it in my garage. (I'm sure I could, but do I want to) If not how much does the dealer charge?

Thanks
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VisionTex
Posted 2009-01-07 6:24 PM (#26272 - in reply to #26262)
Subject: RE: Fork oil question

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
My 15,000 mile service cost ~$690. This includes the fork oil change and all the rest of the recommended service for this mileage. I know they did not do it the way the manual states on how to change the fork oil. I'm not even sure that they DID change the fork oil. But for that money, I got what I got. Bike still goes down the road just fine @ 21,000 miles. Some folks here have decided not to change the fork oil at this interval.
kevinx
Posted 2009-01-07 8:04 PM (#26285 - in reply to #26262)
Subject: Re: Fork oil question

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Until you change the oil you never realize how much the ride has degraded. Forks have a VERY rough life. If you did not notice a difference then it may not have been done. The springs in a Vision are a true bastard, and though they can be compressed without the special tool. It is not going to be fun. If you do your own service you may consider bringing the legs to your dealer for that portion.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-01-07 8:12 PM (#26286 - in reply to #26272)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
omg $700 for a service! now you have me a little worried... I better invest in some tools, cause there is NO way im paying $700 for that to be done.... can the fluid be sucked out and then new fluid put in? I just thought id ask...

VisionTex - 2009-01-07 6:24 PM

My 15,000 mile service cost ~$690. This includes the fork oil change and all the rest of the recommended service for this mileage. I know they did not do it the way the manual states on how to change the fork oil. I'm not even sure that they DID change the fork oil. But for that money, I got what I got. Bike still goes down the road just fine @ 21,000 miles. Some folks here have decided not to change the fork oil at this interval.
kevinx
Posted 2009-01-07 9:11 PM (#26290 - in reply to #26286)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Arkainzeye - 2009-01-07 8:12 PM

omg $700 for a service! now you have me a little worried... I better invest in some tools, cause there is NO way im paying $700 for that to be done.... can the fluid be sucked out and then new fluid put in? I just thought id ask...

Done properly a 15K takes 5-6 hours by a prfessional mechanic. If you want to invest a couple grand in tools, and take 10-12 hours to do it; then by all means give it a shot. Just remember that any short cut that you take effects only you
radioteacher
Posted 2009-01-07 10:44 PM (#26297 - in reply to #26262)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
kevinx,

I have looked this up in the Service Manual and I completely agree! I will pay the money.

Ride Safe.
RedRider
Posted 2009-01-08 6:17 AM (#26307 - in reply to #26262)

Visionary

"omg $700 for a service! now you have me a little worried... I better invest in some tools, cause there is NO way im paying $700 for that to be done.... can the fluid be sucked out and then new fluid put in? I just thought id ask.."
This reminds me of my pet peeve. A brand new Mercedes with a broken taillight. If you can't afford the upkeep don't buy it.
there's a very basic rule in life. BEFORE you buy run the numbers for the "life" of the vehicle. I have never heard any Goldwing rider complain about upkeep costs yet????
Len Rhymes
Posted 2009-01-08 9:25 PM (#26363 - in reply to #26262)

Jacksonville Florida
Why not have the Technician do the forks only and you do the rest.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™