You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Paint Protection
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2007-12-01 9:34 AM (#2408)
Subject: Paint Protection

Visionary

Memphis

There are four scuff points that need full time protection. Two are in front of the floorboards, where the fairing curves up. Boot toes want to rub here all the time. The other two places are on either side of the "tank" (console, whatever it's called) where your inner thighs touch the paint (just in front of the seat).

Has anyone out there used anything that really works? I've heard all kinds of suggestions but have yet to meet someone who has actually used anything that they can vouch for.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
cjnoho
Posted 2007-12-01 10:04 AM (#2409 - in reply to #2408)
Subject: Re: Paint Protection

Visionary

So Cal
Mothers scratch remover. Removes most, but not all.
excelboy10
Posted 2007-12-01 11:38 AM (#2411 - in reply to #2408)
Subject: RE: Paint Protection

Cruiser

Birmingham, AL 08 MC Tour Premium 2012 Bronze Mist
I've wondered about the same thing. I was thinking more along the lines of a clear plastic high gloss laminate covering for those areas. Anyone used (or even seen) such an animal??
swiftvtx
Posted 2007-12-01 1:00 PM (#2412 - in reply to #2408)

Cruiser

3M Scotchcal
okthenbye
Posted 2007-12-01 1:28 PM (#2413 - in reply to #2408)

Cruiser

Stockton, Ca.
Sounds like a great suggestion for the Victory Mailbox. See the link in the following thread to make a suggestion.
http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=233&post...
VisionTex
Posted 2007-12-01 7:16 PM (#2418 - in reply to #2413)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
I have been told by the dealer that Victory uses a soft clear coat on the bikes, which leads more these small abrasions. I plan on having some painting done on the bike when it gets here and have a harder clear coat applied.
tralphaz
Posted 2007-12-03 9:57 PM (#2473 - in reply to #2408)

Tourer

I picked up a 3M? product at Cyclegear for under $20, comes with large 4 sheets, 13" x 19" approx, I used it in front of the shifter, I'm thinking of using some on the saddlebag where I push to close. them.
metalguy
Posted 2007-12-05 3:16 PM (#2546 - in reply to #2408)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I am planning on using some very thin stainless steel sheet bonded to the area in front of my toes, as the rubbing will actually shine it, and using some clear plastic film for the tank rubs, and saddlebag fronts, where the G/F's legs rub. -----Metalguy
SongFan
Posted 2007-12-05 3:31 PM (#2548 - in reply to #2408)

Visionary

Memphis

Great idea on the stainless sheet!  I was trying to figure a way to use some kind of stainless strips (thicker that the sheet you're talking about) running vertical, staggered in length to match the lines of the bike and still show the paint in that area.  The sheet sounds like a great idea though.  Will mold to the curve very easily.

I know 3M makes great clear plastic sheets but don't know if I want the water application type (with a squeegee) or the peel and stick.

BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-12-05 4:14 PM (#2555 - in reply to #2408)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
Once you get the extra protection piece on, use Plexus plastic cleaner and protector. Used on aviation plastics for the US MARINE Corps fast mover and rotor wing warriors from the sky! Works great on plasic type windows, windshields. Works everywhere. Had it on hand while my buddy was a CH-46 crew chief. Sprayed it all over the E-glide! Worked on everything....chrome, paint, platics...swear by it.
pollolittle
Posted 2007-12-05 4:22 PM (#2557 - in reply to #2408)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
That stuff has to be the hardest thing to find locally. I am going to see if I can find it online and have it shipped to me.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-12-05 4:33 PM (#2559 - in reply to #2408)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
Plexus has a site...plexusplasticcleaner.com or something like that. Google it, like you do yourself! Theres two types, people who google, and those who lie about it.
Visioneer
Posted 2007-12-06 6:54 AM (#2572 - in reply to #2408)

Cruiser

Ann Arbor, MI
I've adjusted the shifter down low so I can't get my toe under it. This prevents getting my foot far enough forward to reach the paint. Now it's a true toe shifter there's even an indentation in the front of my boot from the shifter.
RedRider
Posted 2007-12-06 10:43 AM (#2574 - in reply to #2408)

Visionary

I have not used it on a Vision but I have used it on my Ranger. 3M Stoneguard. Some high end cars come with it on the front from the factory. It's not cheap so that will keep many away. 4" x 48" was $85 at CarQuest ordered.
We had the fluid you spray on here at work so I did not have to buy any or make any.
It works really nice. Clean the surface really good (directions come with it), spray the area with the proper fluid. This allows you to move it around. Once you have it in place use a plastic squeegee to remove the excess fluid. It can be stretched so it covers a larger area.
I used it on the top edge of my tailgate. It held up really well except when the metal ladder gouged it.
I have some left over and when I do get my Vision in the spring I am sure I will use it somewhere. Even if it's just to keep the dirt and bugs off the front.
BUCKEYE
Posted 2007-12-06 10:49 AM (#2575 - in reply to #2408)

Iron Butt

29 Palms California
sounds like an awesome product.
Blackjack
Posted 2007-12-10 8:21 PM (#2789 - in reply to #2411)

Tourer

Cottage Grove, Mn
Yes try a high end car dealer ( benz, volvo saab,) they may have a materiial made by 3M for use on door edge and hoods to protect from normal dings and chips
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™