You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Passenger handles ideas?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

airguy
Posted 2009-01-08 10:50 PM (#26375)
Subject: Passenger handles ideas?

Cruiser

Hinton, Iowa
My vision is black with most all of the chrome accessories that Victory offers. (So Far)
My next point of attack is the passenger handles.Has anyone found a way to make the gray
go away?Chrome? Cover with something+ Paint? What have you guys done?
My next next question is "how hard are they to get off? Hoping somebody has some cool
suggestions.Thanks in advance.

Ride, Safe, Mike
Top of the page Bottom of the page
mwspoon
Posted 2009-01-09 9:15 PM (#26427 - in reply to #26375)
Subject: RE: Passenger handles ideas?

Puddle Jumper

Springfield, MO
I bought an 08 demonstrator with some dings and nicks in the passenger handles from people kicking them while getting on and off. After looking around for some easy way to correct the flaws in my handles and get rid of the gray, I found nothing I really liked. Since the handles are not metal, chroming was not an easy solution either.

Taking the handles off require you to take the whole ass of the bike apart but I finally bit the bullet, downloaded the service manual and just did it. Really only took a couple of hours but lots of parts must be removed to get to the handles.

But what better way to get to know the bike? Handles out for paint now. Not the perfect answer but the best choice I could come up with!

Mark
buddahead
Posted 2009-01-19 11:31 AM (#27007 - in reply to #26375)
Subject: Re: Passenger handles ideas?

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
How about the Ness handle eliminator kit?
Bubba
Posted 2009-01-19 1:06 PM (#27016 - in reply to #27007)

Cruiser

buddahead - 2009-01-19 10:31 AM

How about the Ness handle eliminator kit?

I like that look with out the handles. Does the passenger use them with the tour pack?
cw1115
Posted 2009-01-19 4:51 PM (#27036 - in reply to #26375)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I painted mine black, along with everthing else on the bike the was silver or grey. Now with the whole bike black they blend right in.
vision4me
Posted 2009-01-19 5:40 PM (#27040 - in reply to #26375)

Cruiser

Iowa
I also painted mine black, they blend in, you wont even notice them anymore,ps: my gf uses the handles alot.....
Wizard523
Posted 2009-01-19 6:35 PM (#27043 - in reply to #27036)

Tourer

Woodland Hills, CA
cw1115 - 2009-01-19 1:51 PM

I painted mine black, along with everthing else on the bike the was silver or grey. Now with the whole bike black they blend right in.

I did the exact same thing (black also), and it does blend in really well. And I, for one, can tell you that they are indeed used by my SO. Not frequently, but if I even hinted at removing them, it wouldn't be pretty!
airguy
Posted 2009-01-19 7:04 PM (#27048 - in reply to #27043)

Cruiser

Hinton, Iowa
How hard are they to get off? I've heard that you have to dismantle the rear of the bike to get them off. And I heard others are using a hole saw in the top (inside) of the bags to get at the bolts.

Thanks in advance and Ride Safe, Mike
VaParadox
Posted 2009-01-20 9:02 AM (#27102 - in reply to #26375)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
I personally think they need to stay on the bike for visual balance. The bike looks like its melting as it transitions from the huge front to basically nothing in the rear. But thats my opinion. There is a kit that you can order that covers the grip area cosmetically if you want to do without them altogether. Be perpared to spend the day in the garage cursing because removing them is like going through your ass
to fix a cavity in your mouth..
edradio
Posted 2009-01-20 12:49 PM (#27111 - in reply to #26375)

Cruiser

Las Vegas, Nevada USA baby!
If you've ever seen some fancy hunting knives, they have a type of flat leather chord wrapped around the grip of the handle very tightly. That being done to the hand grips and the passenger handles, is just an idea.
varyder
Posted 2009-01-20 1:37 PM (#27116 - in reply to #27111)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

edradio - 2009-01-20 12:49 PM If you've ever seen some fancy hunting knives, they have a type of flat leather chord wrapped around the grip of the handle very tightly. That being done to the hand grips and the passenger handles, is just an idea.

Hey Ed, greetings to you in Lost Vegas! That is a great idea, and I've been thinking from day one on how to leather up the Vision. I thought the seat would be #1 and it is still on the top of my list. I need to take it by the leather man who does upholstry for boats and motorcycles and see if he can't also do something for the front of the bag doors in leather. I have another idea that I'm checking on Friday at another leather shop. I would also like to leather that center console thingy but the buttons would make it hard to do. Thanks for adding to my leather list.

Hope you are doing well, I'm sure you since you have riding weather year 'round. What does the oddie say?

Edited by varyder 2009-01-20 1:40 PM
RedRider
Posted 2009-01-20 1:45 PM (#27117 - in reply to #26375)

Visionary

Since you like chrome and it's winter, I would contact Advanced Plating in Nashville.
http://www.advancedplating.com/
Ask them if they can chrome the handles. It won't be cheap but it will be showroom quality.
VaParadox
Posted 2009-01-20 10:32 PM (#27174 - in reply to #26375)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
REMINDER GUYS YOU CANNOT S U C C E S S F U L L Y CHROME P L A S T I C you have to stop thinking cosmetically and start thinking chemically. bonding a metal to a plastic is T E M P O R A R Y at best. If you dont want to believe me, then ask any qualified metalsmith. If it would work and look decent beyond the first season I would have already had it done.
VaParadox
Posted 2009-01-20 10:34 PM (#27175 - in reply to #26375)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Airguy, you do know you can order them in black now from Victory. There is a part number for them now that the Ness bike for09 has come out they are about 150.00 each and I suspect the quality of factory painting them will be better then a home paint job with no
powdercoating finish.... just a thought. I can supply you with the part number if you need it
yankcan0
Posted 2009-01-21 3:11 PM (#27225 - in reply to #26375)

Puddle Jumper

Winter-St. Augustine Fl. Summer-Blind River Ont. C
I just did a post on another thread on the site about removing the handles. No you don't have to disassemble the rear end to get them off and I had mine off in 20 minutes tops. Open the saddlebag doors and remove the 4-10mm bolts holding the lock and latch mechinism. Those are very easy to get to with a 10mm socket. Next the nut holding the front of the grab handle is easy to loosen with a 12mm (I think) box end wrench. Now the trick! I took a hack saw blade out of the saw and trimmed the middle two plastic bosses that hold the spring clip nuts for the latch and lock mechnisim. I only removed about 1/8", which will not weaken the boss, just so I could swing the box end wrench. The rear nut for the handle is directly behind the two bosses. Put a rag under these two nuts so you don't loose them when they drop. I plan on painting my grab handles black and the idea of putting some kind of leather wrap or cover over part of it sounds kind of cool. Getting the rear nut back on will be a little tricky. I will get my wife's little digets in there to get it started. So there you have it. No disassembly required. Go for it! Beats paying big bucks for black ones from Victory. If you look at the origional handles they look to be sprayed the silver then probably cleared. Heck, I can do that! Gool luck.
smadge
Posted 2009-01-21 6:22 PM (#27245 - in reply to #26375)

Cruiser

Kerrville Texas ( now a homeowner on six acres)
Arizona Victory Has powder coated some. I have a set and I think it looks GREAT. They look as if they came that way.
Rickie
Posted 2009-01-23 9:02 PM (#27410 - in reply to #26375)

Puddle Jumper

You can chrome plastic if it's the correct type of plastic. ABS works best.
Just look at any chrome door handles on the cars rolling down the road, they are made of plastic.
JMHO
Lowrd
Posted 2009-03-06 10:43 AM (#29652 - in reply to #27225)

Puddle Jumper

Arvada, CO
I just wanted to take a moment and thank you for the "hacksaw" tip on this thread. Genius! I was struggling with the idea of taking the whole ass end off of the bike and then I read your secret tip. It took me a little longer than twenty minutes, but not three hours!! And I didn't pay the dealer a nickel. Thanks! The best tip I've picked up off of this site....so far!

Lowrd
nohawg
Posted 2009-03-06 11:04 AM (#29654 - in reply to #29652)

Cruiser

Fargo, ND
It really does make for a nice look. I color matched mine in Midnight Cherry and it's beautiful. A lot of time to get them off, but not that difficult. About 2 hours to figure out how to remove, but back together in about an hour.

(000_0107 [640x480] [320x200].jpg)

(000_0108 [640x480] [320x200].jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 000_0107 [640x480] [320x200].jpg (19KB - 6 downloads)
Attachments 000_0108 [640x480] [320x200].jpg (20KB - 2 downloads)
RedDog
Posted 2009-03-06 8:42 PM (#29688 - in reply to #26375)

Cruiser

OHIO
Looks really good!! I'm getting my paint next week.

I didn't think it was bad taking the handles off. Basically remove your seat, license plate bracket, and panel around taillight. Unscrew your latches on your bags, remove 4 screws holding computer down and the 4 bolts close to the computer. Now you can get at the handles very easy without any cutting.
Yuma48
Posted 2009-03-06 8:58 PM (#29692 - in reply to #26375)

Puddle Jumper

San Diego, California
I covered the handles with some steering wheel covers, leather. The kind you buy at the auto parts store and wrap with a leather string type line. The kind we used to use on the steering wheels to look cool in high school.

Edited by Yuma48 2009-03-06 9:04 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™