You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Increasing Passeger Seat Luggage capacity
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Mudge
Posted 2009-01-19 5:30 PM (#27039)
Subject: Increasing Passeger Seat Luggage capacity

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Does anybody here have the skills to fabricate a filler plate of plastic or metal to replace the passenger backrest pad on the Tour? Since I ride solo and could use room on the backseat for a bigger bag I thought that removing the passenger backrest pad and replacing it with a curved-to-fit solid plate of some type would give a couple or three inches more of room between the front of the trunk and the rear of my driver's backrest, or for those without a driver's backrest, more room between their back and the trunk.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-01-19 7:22 PM (#27050 - in reply to #27039)
Subject: Re: Increasing Passeger Seat Luggage capacity

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i dont know how much cubic inches your gain from removing the passenger seat padding. I was thinking about buying this. http://saddlemen.com/news/?cat=4
varyder
Posted 2009-01-19 8:02 PM (#27059 - in reply to #27050)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Arkainzeye - 2009-01-19 7:22 PM i dont know how much cubic inches your gain from removing the passenger seat padding. I was thinking about buying this. http://saddlemen.com/news/?cat=4  

Actually Mudge that is a great idea, and you would gain a lot of cubic inches in that move. The bag you posted Arky is the same bag that Vic sells for about $100 more, just thought I'd point that out in case you didn't know.

Back to Madge, my thought is to Street the Vision and then Bob it for real. Gaining that area from behind the pilot seat with a nice luggage rack of sorts. The ideas are really endless at this time and I think the ones we could hit wouldn't be too much of a problem with the Vision. Ride on!

Edited by varyder 2009-01-19 8:03 PM
hwy27guy
Posted 2009-01-19 8:23 PM (#27063 - in reply to #27039)
Subject: RE: Increasing Passeger Seat Luggage capacity

Puddle Jumper

CASHTON, WI United States
WE ARE A PARTS UNLIMITED DEALER AND I WOULD OFFER THE BR4100 SADDLEMAN DRESSER BACK SEAT BAG TO ANYONE FOR $110.00 PLUS SHIPPING. I ALAS DID BUY THE VICTORY BAG AND LIKE THE BAG. BUT GEE IT DOES HAVE THE VICTORY LOGO ON IT. THANKFULLY MY DEALER GAVE ME A DEAL.

HWY27GUY
radioteacher
Posted 2009-01-19 9:58 PM (#27071 - in reply to #27039)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I have the Saddlemen BR4100 bag as linked above. I rode 357 sMiles today with the Saddlemen in the back seat. It started out empty With the temps about 55 degrees. As it warmed up, the extra layers went in the bag. The high on the trip was 78. After the sun went down out came the gear. I used the side webbing for my drink. I really need to but the Kruser Kaddys.

I love the bag, I could have made the trip with out it, but it was nice to have it along for this ride. On a longer solo trip it will come in very handy.
Mudge
Posted 2009-01-19 10:53 PM (#27074 - in reply to #27071)

Tourer

The bag looks great. I currently use a Kuryakyn Grand Tour bag and it works well. I can probably get by with it with a small duffle on top of it. The Saddlemen bag looks like it is at least as thick front to back as the Grand Tour, maybe even more. There is a small problem however in my having a driver's backrest. The bag is a really tight fit back to front and pushes the driver's backrest foreward a bit; a problem that removing the passenger seat backpad would fix as it's only a matter of couple of inches. That couple of inches is critical however after a couple of hundred miles of being pushed a little too far foreward by the backrest. I don't want to remove the backrest as I rely on it both with a bag on the back seat, and on trips when I'm taking day rides from a motel without the bag, and it is not a quick release type backrest. Maybe I'll try to find a piece of bendable plastic and cut a piece to fit or try to make a built up one using a cardboard pattern mold and fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin. I would use bolts through the same holes from inside the trunk that the bolts which hold the seat pad run. Perhaps even a couple of chrome eye bolts to give me additional lashing points. This in preparation for the VMC National Meet in Billings so I have plenty of time to work it out. I was just hoping with all the diverse skills and talents among all the members that I could hire someone for whom this would be a relatively easy thing to fabricate instead of me fumbling around by trial and error.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-01-19 11:20 PM (#27080 - in reply to #27039)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.phatperformanceparts.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=Saddle...

free shipping
rmclarty
Posted 2009-01-20 5:57 PM (#27134 - in reply to #27039)

Cruiser

Sugar Land, TX (Outside of Houston)
I got the Saddlemen bag off of Ebay and love it. HUGE Amount of storage and great back support.
RedRider
Posted 2009-01-20 7:30 PM (#27142 - in reply to #27039)

Visionary

My thoughts.
Get the Saddleman bag from a fellow member. Use a blow up beach ball in it when empty to have as a back rest like I did with my Tbag. Then get the accordion bag from Tbag.
http://www.tbags.com/Detail.aspx?ID=89&selectedcat=4
I saw the accordion bag at Javits on Saturday and it looks good. My only question is how far does it hang over the Vision Luggage rack? I would hate to scratch the paint cause it's too long. I now Zack's carries Tbag so maybe for their spring open house I can check it out.
witchbiker
Posted 2009-01-23 8:44 AM (#27354 - in reply to #27063)

Cruiser

Barefoot Bay, FL United States
I like the idea of your bag for $110. How do I get it?

2008 Victory "ain't no such thing as too much chrome" Vision Midnight Cherry
Hippo
Posted 2009-01-23 9:01 AM (#27359 - in reply to #27039)

Cruiser

Warren, Vermont
I used the Saddleman Bag on my trip from Vermont to Sturgis last summer. In general, I love the bag, it provides enormous amount of storage, easy to take on and off and it does not interfere with the operation of the trunk. Two things that would prevent me from giving it a 100% rating:

1) There is no rain cover and it is not waterproof. So, in any moderate rain, your clothes are likely to get damp. As I was leaving Sturgis there was a big thunderstorm and I stopped at a convenience store and got a big trash bag and bungeed that on the bag and it mostly worked. It would be nice if Saddleman made a "to fit" rain cover. I wrote them to ask about it and never got a reply.

2) One of the straps on the top of the bag that are used to cinch it down, was ripped about 1/2 the way off after this trip. I wrote about this to Saddleman, too and again did not even get the courtesy of a reply.

I'll get the strap fixed before my next trip and fashion a nylon rain cover, too. Otherwise this is a great addition to the touring bike. Don't bother with the one from Victory - overpriced and the same thing as the Saddleman.

Hippo
RedRider
Posted 2009-01-23 11:48 AM (#27370 - in reply to #27039)

Visionary

Hey Hippo,
Check out Kuryakyn's site. Maybe they have a rain cover to fit? I like my old T-bag because it has thick plastic bag that goes inside. It saves me pulling a cover off and then getting it back on in the rain. I keep the stuff I put in the side pockets in zip-lock bags. I am hoping the K rain bag will fit in the Saddleman bag.

Just a thought..... buy the Saddleman and have a Vision Riders patch (coming soon to a site near you) sown on it.
alberts46
Posted 2009-01-23 12:45 PM (#27372 - in reply to #27039)

Cruiser

Bonita Springs, FL
Does anyone know if the Saddleman bag will work with a driver back rest?

Thanks.
alberts46
Posted 2009-01-23 12:46 PM (#27373 - in reply to #27039)

Cruiser

Bonita Springs, FL
Sorry, I did not thoroughly read all of the posts. Sounds like it pushes the backrest forward.
Mudge
Posted 2009-01-23 2:20 PM (#27380 - in reply to #27373)

Tourer

Thank you. The point of my original post got lost pretty quickly, with, I know, good intentions. I know from experience the the Kuryakyn Gran Tour bag pushes my Utopia backrest foreward, and though I do not know the dimensions of a fully loaded Saddleman bag, I'm going to assume that it would as well. This is the problem I am trying to solve. I guess when the garage warms enough I'll pull the passenger backrest off and see if I can fashion something to cover the hole as best I can.

Edited by Mudge 2009-01-23 2:21 PM
LawMstr
Posted 2009-01-23 4:03 PM (#27391 - in reply to #27359)

Puddle Jumper

South Florida
Hippo - 2009-01-23 9:01 AM

1) There is no rain cover and it is not waterproof. So, in any moderate rain, your clothes are likely to get damp. As I was leaving Sturgis there was a big thunderstorm and I stopped at a convenience store and got a big trash bag and bungeed that on the bag and it mostly worked. It would be nice if Saddleman made a "to fit" rain cover. I wrote them to ask about it and never got a reply.
Hippo

I know I've become 'Persona-Non-Grata' around here after putting my 10th up for sale - but I've got to chime in on this topic as it has consumed my time during my recovery from knee surgery.

I too have the bag and love it - tons of room and looks great. After removing the trunk I don't rely on the straps that came with the bag - now I use 1" Powertyes over the top of the bag and around the passenger handrails.

I too have contacted Saddleman and asked if they had a rain cover - no was the reply. I emailed again and asked if they could make a rain cover, and was told that they have their bags made in China and they have to order thousands at a time - so in order to get a rain cover, they would have to do the same thing (order thousands) and there isn't a demand for them - sorry Charlie.

So, I looked elsewhere: rain covers for other motorcycle luggage and rain covers for barbecue grills and outdoor equipment - couldn't find one that fits.

Finally, I asked my shoe/leather repair guy if he could customize something for me. He said find the waterproof fabric and I'll attach an elastic at the bottom like other rain covers. This is what I found: http://cgi.ebay.com/Waterproof-fabric-Bib-Apron-Solid-Black-60-W_W0...

$16 for the material (2 yards, price includes shipping) and $10 for the elastic and sewing from my local cobbler - I'll post the final results when completed.

BTW: I'm keeping my 10th (sold off other stuff and knee is on the mend after surgery).

Regards,

Drew.

Edited by LawMstr 2009-01-23 4:05 PM
radioteacher
Posted 2009-01-23 9:47 PM (#27417 - in reply to #27039)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Drew,

It is good to hear your knee is doing well after surgery. Ride Safe.
LawMstr
Posted 2009-01-23 10:25 PM (#27424 - in reply to #27417)

Puddle Jumper

South Florida

Radioteacher: thanks so much - you be safe too.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-01-24 6:53 PM (#27471 - in reply to #27424)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
as far as a rain cover what i have done for years was... when i put my clothes into a bag i put them into a plastic garbage bag or some other form of plastic bag. Cheap, H2o proof since most trash bags brag about NO leaking. Im not worried about the bag getting wet, but more so whats inside..
varyder
Posted 2009-01-24 7:13 PM (#27476 - in reply to #27380)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Mudge - 2009-01-23 2:20 PM

Thank you. The point of my original post got lost pretty quickly, with, I know, good intentions. I know from experience the the Kuryakyn Gran Tour bag pushes my Utopia backrest foreward, and though I do not know the dimensions of a fully loaded Saddleman bag, I'm going to assume that it would as well. This is the problem I am trying to solve. I guess when the garage warms enough I'll pull the passenger backrest off and see if I can fashion something to cover the hole as best I can.

Mudge, I'm with you. See if you can go to a custom car shop see if they can make a simple panel for you. Since it will be exposed it might be important to blend it to the bike. The top pad is easy to remove, I don't know about the bottom one, and I ain't going out to check right now. The only thing I'd be mindful of is the lid hinges so whatever you do has to be two piece.

Here it is just over a year later and custom ideas are popping up, but for us Vision owners we're much on our own until the aftermarket folk start realizing we are people too.
LawMstr
Posted 2009-01-25 12:01 AM (#27486 - in reply to #27380)

Puddle Jumper

South Florida
Mudge - 2009-01-23 2:20 PM

Mudge,

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, it was unintentional. The Saddleman bag does have a cut-out or relief that may be large enough to let your Utopia fit into so your back can be flush with the bag w/out pushing you forward. Give me the measurement of the length (left to right) and thickness of the Utopia and I'll go out to the garage and measure the space on my Saddleman to see if the backrest fits.

Drew.
graybeard
Posted 2009-01-25 1:23 AM (#27487 - in reply to #27039)

Cruiser

NW Illinois
No answer for you Mudge
My question will the Saddleman bag stay on the bike ok without the trunk or backrest on the bike
DecTec
Posted 2009-01-25 11:42 AM (#27502 - in reply to #27471)

Cruiser

Pocono Mountains of PA
I also use the plastic bags inside my luggage.  I have an old "Rally" cordura stly bag I've used for years.  I learned a long time ago from canoeing and backpacking to use ziplock style bage and roll my items to remove air before closeing the zips.  This makes packing easier and keeps my clothing and other items in the bag dry.  I use a lot of camping "compression" sacks for storage also.  Check out backpack rain covers.  One of my favorite sites is Campnore  http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Category___76428__242.
LawMstr
Posted 2009-01-25 12:25 PM (#27504 - in reply to #27487)

Puddle Jumper

South Florida
graybeard - 2009-01-25 1:23 AM
My question will the Saddleman bag stay on the bike ok without the trunk or backrest on the bike

Yes it will. I use the small ratchet tie-down straps, cross them over the top of the bag (making an 'X') and down to each passenger grap rail - the bag doesn't move at all.

I always bag my clothes in plastic too - I use a few of the giant Zip-Loc bags and reuse the same ones for the past year. However, that Saddleman bag has to be covered as well - took me two days to dry that thing out after a soaking on the way to the Florida Keys last year.
graybeard
Posted 2009-01-25 1:03 PM (#27507 - in reply to #27039)

Cruiser

NW Illinois
Thanks Lawmstr thats what I was thinking but always nice to hear from someone whose actually done it
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™