You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Digital Gear Indicator
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

varyder
Posted 2009-01-25 6:36 PM (#27553)
Subject: Digital Gear Indicator

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
For the most part I don't really pay attention to the large Sesame Street number in the middle of my dash that says what gear I'm in. Tonight I took note and saw that the number changes right at the gear change, whereas there was an momentary pause when the Vision was new and documented more than once by other owners and magizine reviews. I now have 33,600 miles on the bike now and wonder if others have experienced this change as the mileage racked up, or you have never had this issue and don't have a clue what I'm rambling about?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
wjoel
Posted 2009-01-25 9:30 PM (#27565 - in reply to #27553)
Subject: RE: Digital Gear Indicator

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
I have 2000 mi. on my 08 Vision. My gear selector changes right as I am shifting. I never thought of it as anything unusual. Of course, we all have nothing to compare it to, as I don't think there are any other bikes with this feature.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-01-25 11:41 PM (#27583 - in reply to #27565)
Subject: Re: Digital Gear Indicator

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Is this causing a problem of some sort? Im curious how my changes now. but my weather is very very bad so it will be a long time before i can test mine out.. I was just wondering what the problem is due to this issue?
DecTec
Posted 2009-01-26 9:19 AM (#27591 - in reply to #27553)
Subject: RE: Digital Gear Indicator

Cruiser

Pocono Mountains of PA
I remember when my 2008 was new, the indicator would lag behind the actual shift.  It almost seemed that it would not change until after the clutch was released.  If I downshifted through several gears it seemed not to keep up.   Now with 5k+ miles it follows my shifting a lot closer.
cjnoho
Posted 2009-01-26 9:34 PM (#27647 - in reply to #27553)

Visionary

So Cal
Mine worked perfectly for six months. After that it would read 3 when in second gear and sometimes 2 in first. It slowly got worse. Dealer changed the switch with no improvement. They said they would order another one. That was 4 months ago. Havent pushed them because I feel its not the switch. A new faulty switch would not have identical readings. I found the connector once while washing it and took it apart and cleaned it out with WD-40 and it got better. When I ride on rainy days, there is a large puddle 3 blocks from the house that I have to ride through to get anywhere. The day after it dries out it works much better. Thats why I feel it has to do with oxydation on the contacts or possible dirt or dust intrusion. I have plans on investigating the situation some day. But since I ride everyday to work and getting to the switch requires loosening the exhaust, I'd much rather spend my weekends riding.
dwhite28
Posted 2009-01-26 9:47 PM (#27649 - in reply to #27647)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States

cjnoho - 2009-01-26 9:34 PM Mine worked perfectly for six months. After that it would read 3 when in second gear and sometimes 2 in first. It slowly got worse. Dealer changed the switch with no improvement. They said they would order another one. That was 4 months ago. Havent pushed them because I feel its not the switch. A new faulty switch would not have identical readings. I found the connector once while washing it and took it apart and cleaned it out with WD-40 and it got better. When I ride on rainy days, there is a large puddle 3 blocks from the house that I have to ride through to get anywhere. The day after it dries out it works much better. Thats why I feel it has to do with oxydation on the contacts or possible dirt or dust intrusion. I have plans on investigating the situation some day. But since I ride everyday to work and getting to the switch requires loosening the exhaust, I'd much rather spend my weekends riding.

CJNOHO,

Take the bike to the dealer.  Make sure they call tech support.  I repaired a Vision with your issue a couple of months ago.  This issue should only be associated with 2008 models.  There is a bolt that has to be exchanged inside the primary cover.  A small screw that holds the "Shift Star" to the shift drum has to be replaced.  Sounds screwy to me at first till i sat down and talked with tech and understood how the ground circuit worked for the gear indicator.  As you shift and the shift drum rotates to a new position, a resistor is selected in the switch located on the right side of the engine case.  This variation in resistance is what selects the number to show up on the display.  Victory found that some of the bolts that hold the shift star in place would vary to much over time due to age, heat and material composition and coatings used on the screw and throw off the display.  Once i replaced the screw for this other guys bike, the problem went away.

cw1115
Posted 2009-01-27 7:14 PM (#27712 - in reply to #27553)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
David, how long of a job is it. Mine is starting to act up at 12K. Dispays 6 sometimes when I'm stopped in neutral.
dwhite28
Posted 2009-01-27 7:26 PM (#27714 - in reply to #27553)

Tourer

Usually should only take an hour at the most. The bike needs to be laid on its right side tip over protection to allow the oil to drain to the low side. Remove the primary cover then replace the bolt. The primary gasket should be replaced as well.
cw1115
Posted 2009-01-28 3:58 PM (#27775 - in reply to #27553)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Thank you.
cjnoho
Posted 2009-01-28 9:03 PM (#27809 - in reply to #27649)

Visionary

So Cal
dwhite28 - 2009-01-26 6:47 PM

cjnoho - 2009-01-26 9:34 PM Mine worked perfectly for six months. After that it would read 3 when in second gear and sometimes 2 in first. It slowly got worse. Dealer changed the switch with no improvement. They said they would order another one. That was 4 months ago. Havent pushed them because I feel its not the switch. A new faulty switch would not have identical readings. I found the connector once while washing it and took it apart and cleaned it out with WD-40 and it got better. When I ride on rainy days, there is a large puddle 3 blocks from the house that I have to ride through to get anywhere. The day after it dries out it works much better. Thats why I feel it has to do with oxydation on the contacts or possible dirt or dust intrusion. I have plans on investigating the situation some day. But since I ride everyday to work and getting to the switch requires loosening the exhaust, I'd much rather spend my weekends riding.

CJNOHO,

Take the bike to the dealer.  Make sure they call tech support.  I repaired a Vision with your issue a couple of months ago.  This issue should only be associated with 2008 models.  There is a bolt that has to be exchanged inside the primary cover.  A small screw that holds the "Shift Star" to the shift drum has to be replaced.  Sounds screwy to me at first till i sat down and talked with tech and understood how the ground circuit worked for the gear indicator.  As you shift and the shift drum rotates to a new position, a resistor is selected in the switch located on the right side of the engine case.  This variation in resistance is what selects the number to show up on the display.  Victory found that some of the bolts that hold the shift star in place would vary to much over time due to age, heat and material composition and coatings used on the screw and throw off the display.  Once i replaced the screw for this other guys bike, the problem went away.

Thanks DW. Sounds like the right track. I knew it had to be a connection or a ground problem. Would have been hard to fix the ground with the right side apart. Maybe next time I change oil I'll look into it. Is the bolt anything special? Or just high grade with no cad. plating?

Thanks again. Need more Victory techs like you!
dwhite28
Posted 2009-01-29 12:18 AM (#27823 - in reply to #27553)

Tourer

The item should be covered under warranty. It should only cost you time to take the bike in. Arrange with the dealer in advance and drop the bike off, have lunch locally and then pick the bike up and head out on the road again.

I wish i could tell you more details about the screw. I just used the part number that tech support gave me and installed the screw once it arrived.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™