You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Cams...Can't wait
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Outback101
Posted 2009-01-27 10:20 PM (#27724)
Subject: Cams...Can't wait

Puddle Jumper

Between Rockford and Sterling Illinois
For them to get here! Can't wait to get them in. Can't wait for 40 degrees. Any install wisdom or tricks we need to know before we start the job?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
ScoreBo
Posted 2009-01-27 11:31 PM (#27727 - in reply to #27724)
Subject: Re: Cams...Can't wait

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
If you have a VFCIII, send it back to Lloyd to be reprogrammed while you are waiting / have down time.
Lotzafun
Posted 2009-01-27 11:45 PM (#27728 - in reply to #27724)
Subject: RE: Cams...Can't wait

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

Outback101 - 2009-01-27 9:20 PM For them to get here! Can't wait to get them in. Can't wait for 40 degrees. Any install wisdom or tricks we need to know before we start the job?

LLoyd shared this trick in this thread... http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2441&start=26&posts=49

The rear rocker cover gets removed by pulling the 2 bolts located behind the rear cylinder (there are 4 total) that hold the front frame section. Do this with the motor secured underneath, then grab a long pry bar and pry up the front frame section where you removed the bolts. Only an 1/8 of an inch is needed! remove the cover. This can be done with ALL the body work in place and I guess it saves 6-8 hours. IMO 4 hrs is an acceptable time period to swap out the cams in a 08 bike.

david.terry
Posted 2009-01-28 1:57 AM (#27730 - in reply to #27724)

Cruiser

Madison, AL
The cams made a huge difference in performance in my bike. I did swap out the VFC III for a PC. Also, did the intake mod, K&N, and exhaust upgrade to lvl 1. The bike sounds quite different and is louder. Just need some weather to get out and ride some. Freezing rain and a cold winter have kept me off the bike for weeks. The only time we did have a break in the weather, I was out of town on business. I think you will be very happy with your cams. It took aboout a little over 6 hrs of labor not including the dyno run, but we did swap out the VFC III for a PC so that took some time as well. So, just for the cam install I have to agree that 4-6 hours is a good estimate. Let us know how it works out. I think my MPG has improved quite a bit, but I have not been able to put enough miles on the bike to get a good average. The few times since the install of the cams, I rode the bike like I stole it and probably won't ride normal again for a bit. Kinda makes you feel like a kid again. Enjoy!
kevinx
Posted 2009-01-28 6:57 AM (#27737 - in reply to #27727)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
ScoreBo - 2009-01-27 11:31 PM

If you have a VFCIII, send it back to Lloyd to be reprogrammed while you are waiting / have down time.

This only needs tp be done if you have a STOCK map, and you got your VFC before Jan 1
Probie
Posted 2009-01-28 8:15 AM (#27742 - in reply to #27724)

Cruiser

guelph ontario
What HP and TQ improvements did you get on the dyno.
varyder
Posted 2009-01-28 8:22 AM (#27744 - in reply to #27742)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Maybe a dumb question. I'm into performance all the way around, so I'm wondering if I cam my Vision would I lose anything for the long haul touring? That is, would the engine run hotter, or cooler, or the same, would there be other concerns running at 70mph+ for hundreds of miles at a time on a performance cammed engine? Again, I qualified it at the begining as being maybe a dumb questions. But most of the talk after camming is about how response the bike is off the line and roll-on, but not much on all day long riding. Also, how does this affect mpg, my concern is how long can I sit in the saddle on a tank of gas? And if there is not issues, which would be the best cam to meet my needs? 
zo6vette
Posted 2009-01-29 3:34 PM (#27861 - in reply to #27724)

Cruiser

Saratoga NY area
The cam, seems to be the hot product right now. LLoyds seemsto be the way to go and David seems to be the man with the answers concerning before and after. Kudo to the performance gains from LLoyd's cams.
kevinx
Posted 2009-01-29 6:36 PM (#27868 - in reply to #27744)

Visionary

varyder - 2009-01-28 8:22 AM

Maybe a dumb question. I'm into performance all the way around, so I'm wondering if I cam my Vision would I lose anything for the long haul touring? That is, would the engine run hotter, or cooler, or the same, would there be other concerns running at 70mph+ for hundreds of miles at a time on a performance cammed engine? Again, I qualified it at the begining as being maybe a dumb questions. But most of the talk after camming is about how response the bike is off the line and roll-on, but not much on all day long riding. Also, how does this affect mpg, my concern is how long can I sit in the saddle on a tank of gas? And if there is not issues, which would be the best cam to meet my needs? 

The bikes I have added the Lloyds cams have all seen a minimum increase of 2MPG over the stock cams. I know of a couple of bikes that just did 1500 miles in three days without any complaints a all. Truth be told these things have BETTER drivability then the stock cams, and as far as I can see this is that magic win win part for these bikes.
varyder
Posted 2009-01-29 7:17 PM (#27869 - in reply to #27868)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks KevinX, I'm one to think about things for a long time, this is one of those things that I would seriously considering doing down the road.
1atom12
Posted 2009-01-29 10:19 PM (#27883 - in reply to #27724)

Tourer

Atlanta Area
For those of you who don't feel like tackling this yourself and are in the southeast, KevinX is one of the best Vic wrenches on this or any other planet. He really knows his stuff. Shoot him a PM for details...
ScoreBo
Posted 2009-01-30 10:41 AM (#27912 - in reply to #27724)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
KevinX, you need to look at doing roadtrips for the folks that aren't in the Southeast. My dealer didn't know the trick stated above, but gave me a break on the install since you and Lloyd can do it quicker. He only charged me 5.5 hours for the install. Still more than the 4 you charge. He said it took 8 hours following the service manual and because this was their first Vision, they took their time.

I would have gladly trailered the bike halfway to have you do the install. You may want to gauge interest in a cam install and tuning event in certain areas. You could do one in VA and hit a 10 folks easy over a weekend. You could make some money and we could save some money. It's a win-win.

And before anyone flames me on trailering, I live in Northeast Ohio and we have over two feet of snow on the ground right now.
Lotzafun
Posted 2009-01-30 11:00 AM (#27913 - in reply to #27912)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

ScoreBo - 2009-01-30 9:41 AM KevinX, you need to look at doing roadtrips for the folks that aren't in the Southeast. My dealer didn't know the trick stated above, but gave me a break on the install since you and Lloyd can do it quicker. He only charged me 5.5 hours for the install. Still more than the 4 you charge. He said it took 8 hours following the service manual and because this was their first Vision, they took their time. I would have gladly trailered the bike halfway to have you do the install. You may want to gauge interest in a cam install and tuning event in certain areas. You could do one in VA and hit a 10 folks easy over a weekend. You could make some money and we could save some money. It's a win-win. And before anyone flames me on trailering, I live in Northeast Ohio and we have over two feet of snow on the ground right now.

Think about the numbers here. Takes Kevin 4.0 hours to install cams. So basically two installs a day, or maybe if the money is plenty and the alchohol is decent and he is promissed a trip to a local strip bar he can attempt three in a day. Attempting to do ten in one weekend would kill the poor man.

kevinx
Posted 2009-02-10 7:33 AM (#27977 - in reply to #27724)

Visionary

HHHMMMMMMM sure seem to be missing a bunch of this thread
Squeak
Posted 2009-02-10 9:54 AM (#27983 - in reply to #27724)

Cruiser

Brighton, Colorado
I agree KevinX. Lost a whole page of messages. WHERE ARE THEY?
cw1115
Posted 2009-02-10 2:27 PM (#27991 - in reply to #27724)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
What is the down side of all the extra power? Does is lobe at idle? 25 MPG? There is always a trade off.
kevinx
Posted 2009-02-10 3:21 PM (#27994 - in reply to #27991)

Visionary

cw1115 - 2009-02-10 2:27 PM

What is the down side of all the extra power? Does is lobe at idle? 25 MPG? There is always a trade off.

Not in this case. the cams Vic has are all about compliance. Power goes way up. Most report an INCREASE in MPG, and drivability is improved. These things truly are a win-win deal
cw1115
Posted 2009-02-10 5:42 PM (#27997 - in reply to #27724)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Thanks. I guess there is such a thing as a free lunch!
lobsterhunter
Posted 2009-02-10 6:22 PM (#27999 - in reply to #27977)

New user

kevinx - 2009-02-10 7:33 AM

HHHMMMMMMM sure seem to be missing a bunch of this thread

Miles reported in another thread that the site crashed and the last weeks posts were lost.
jeffmack
Posted 2009-02-26 11:29 PM (#29143 - in reply to #27724)

Iron Butt

Kevinx,
PM sent

Jeff
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread