You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

removing brake calipers
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2017-05-30 12:54 PM (#191913)
Subject: removing brake calipers

Cruiser

I was lucky enough to pick up a screw in the rear tire on my Vision last Saturday afternoon. Other than the irony of it happening on Memorial Day weekend, I've plugged a lot of tires since I retired over the last few years but this one's ready to be replaced anyway. I've read the manual and it says nothing about removing the brake calipers but would it be easier to pull the tire if I DO? I'm still wishing all bikes had the same single-sided swing arm my '85 beemer did...it was a 5 minute job and you could do it in a parking lot and take the tire in to the bike shop and be done in 30 minutes. That Vision's a whole different animal..
Top of the page Bottom of the page
SteveS
Posted 2017-05-30 1:43 PM (#191915 - in reply to #191913)
Subject: Re: removing brake calipers

Cruiser

Danbury, Connecticut
Step 9 in my factory manual states remove caliper from swingarm. I've done it many times, and it is necessary. It's like a puzzle the first time and gets a little easier each time. You need mechanical aptitude, common sense, a secure bike jack. I use jack stands under the tip overs to stabilize the monster but remember to move them before you lower the jack. You should have someone on stand-by just in case something goes wrong. The wheel spacers are different from left to right. Don't move the belt adjuster adjustment. Make sure before you torque the axle that the adjuster is snug-in other words, push the wheel forward, against the adjuster nut.
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2017-05-30 1:48 PM (#191916 - in reply to #191915)

Cruiser

That's exactly what I was hoping to hear...someone's who done it. I'm at the age where I'd just as soon pay someone else to do the job for me but unless I can track down a trailer, I may have to do it myself.
Ferta McDaniels
Posted 2017-05-30 3:22 PM (#191917 - in reply to #191913)

Puddle Jumper

Okeana, OH United States
I just changed my rear tire over the weekend. It is a pain but if you do it yourself, you get the opportunity to give the wheel a good cleaning. It's hard to clean it properly while on the bike. The caliper will fall off when you remove the axle. Other than the axle keeping it in place, the caliper rides in a slot on the swingarm and will come off easily after the axle is removed. Putting it back together is a little more difficult. I personally think that it is easier to remove the brake pads and put them back in after the axle is back in.
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2017-05-30 6:50 PM (#191918 - in reply to #191917)

Cruiser

It might come to that yet Ferta.....I'd have to buy another bike lift while I'm at my daughter's in Grand Blanc, but I've changed enough tires to know can be a chore at times, and I was even looking forward to a good cleaning too...you're right...they do get dirty. It sounds like the brakes would be an easier job than I was expecting too. I used to use wooden shims to hold the pads apart when I changed tires on my '97 Concours and that bike was always a PIA to service.

Edited by beemerdad2@yahoo.com 2017-05-30 6:52 PM
beemerdad2@yahoo.com
Posted 2017-05-31 10:04 AM (#191922 - in reply to #191915)

Cruiser

AHA! I DOES say to remove the caliper....wonder why I didn't see that before?
Davet
Posted 2017-06-02 9:41 AM (#191942 - in reply to #191913)

Puddle Jumper

Sacramento, CA United States
Just noticed this thread so I maybe late to the show...
BD2 if you've done the work already, then you know... the caliper actually falls outta the slot it rides in so there's REAL removal per say.
The trick's the reassembly... I use a very long cable-tie to hold the caliper in-place while I position the wheel.
It's hard enough to thread the axel, place the spacers, and position the tire without d!ckin' 'round with the brakes too!
Also, everything everybody else said [keep the pads open (blocks of wood), support the bike safely, clean your drive belt, check your belt tension,....].

Edited by Davet 2017-06-02 9:42 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™