You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Kuryakyn hypercharger
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

slowryder
Posted 2009-02-24 1:17 AM (#28944)
Subject: Kuryakyn hypercharger

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Does anyone know if this will fit and operate properly on a Vision?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
RedRider
Posted 2009-02-24 6:48 AM (#28948 - in reply to #28944)
Subject: Re: Kuryakyn hypercharger

Visionary

Why? Lloyd's setup guarantees an increase in HP and Torque.
Lotzafun
Posted 2009-02-24 10:38 AM (#28961 - in reply to #28948)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
I don't think Kuryakyn makes a unit for the Vision.

Need to keep in mind that the air intake setup on the Vision is completely different than any other bike. Air enters thru the air filter located behind the headlamp and then travels thru the frame and into the engine....no side intake or similar setup. So unless you are up for a whole nightmare mess of adaptation the Kuryakn route is not good.

A few options we have are.....

Replace the stock filter with a Victory Performance Filter. Available from your local dealer. Here is a link to it http://www.purepolaris.com/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2876628(PolarisPGACat...

Go with an intake plate filter from Lloydz. Located at the bottom of this page http://www.quickvic-usa.com/fuel.shtml

Few folks that have gone with the Lloydz unit have eliminated the stock filter....and a few have left it in. Its a personal preference type thing.

There will be a bit of intake hiss with the Lloydz unit.
varyder
Posted 2009-02-24 12:00 PM (#28962 - in reply to #28961)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Lotza, I asked about putting the performance filter in, running stock pipes, and was told that ain't a good idear as there is mo air coming in the front, but no mo relief going out the back. I mean, I was equatin' it to flipping the air cleaner lid over on the Olds, but the V-twin with the EFI may mess with the map. I ain't busting on your suggestion, just trying to get educated. I told the perfomance filters were for the stage1level1/2 setups and stock should stay, well, stock.

More thoughts?

Lotzafun
Posted 2009-02-24 1:05 PM (#28971 - in reply to #28944)
Subject: RE: Kuryakyn hypercharger

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

You can install just the Victory Performance filter with no other mods. But with no other mods I think its pretty much a waste of money though, barely (if) any performance gain would be had. While it would have a bit more airflow than stock I don't think its going to be enough to cause any issues that would warrant a remap.

However.....If you remove the stock intake diffuser and install Lloydz unit the airflow is going to change (increase) quite a bit. I think either a remap or a fuel controller is going to be needed.

Add a different exhaust to either the Victory Performance Filter or the Lloydz unit or the combo of the two and things are now changed enough to warrant the remap or fuel controller.....I think.

The reason I use "think" is because I'm still on the learning curve with Vision performance mods. I'm currently one of those "I know enough to be dangerous" type people. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me will step in and add/correct/disagree with me.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-02-25 7:18 PM (#29045 - in reply to #28944)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
where would a hypercharger even mount!!! then how would it get the air in the down tube from the frame? i doubt it would breathe anywhere near as good as the way it is set up now.. the fairings are so big that it would breathe but probably wouldnt force air into it.
bigwill5150
Posted 2009-02-25 8:47 PM (#29054 - in reply to #29045)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
No, the intake is too unique on the Vision. The air intake is behind the headlights. I wouldn't be too disappointed by this because Hypercharger is all hype. I had one on my Star. It looked cool but that's about all the difference it made. Oh that and it became a rain catcher one night coming home from a poker run.
kevinx
Posted 2009-02-25 8:56 PM (#29057 - in reply to #29045)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Well lets see.....
The intake is in the front of the frame behind the forks. Now you could mount the thing there, but nobody would see. You could remove the stereo, and mount it on the top of the consoul. Those however are the only options for doing it functionaly.

Then if having great big tacky hunks of chrome hanging off your bike. You could gut it, and install the horn. Then use it to replace the right wedge.

As for using the Vic performance filter. It will cause no harm, but it will give you a cleanable element whitch in my book is a plus. Anything else with stock pipes is just pointless
slowryder
Posted 2009-02-25 11:27 PM (#29078 - in reply to #28944)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Lloyd's cams, Air intake and Ness's thunder sticks should do the trick... one can dream.

Edited by slowryder 2009-02-25 11:29 PM
varyder
Posted 2009-02-25 11:33 PM (#29079 - in reply to #29078)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I know a couple guys, non-Vic, who swear by it. I really think they think it is more of chick magnet with the flapper deal when they crack the throttle. But they also say their bike "really" flies now with it. I think it is all an illusion, like flipping the air cleaner lid over on my old Olds back in the day.
Squeak
Posted 2009-02-26 12:20 AM (#29082 - in reply to #28944)

Cruiser

Brighton, Colorado
I have an '09 Vision with S1/L1 pipes. Will the victory performance filter do me any good? And if so, will I have to re-map or whatever? Thought about the Lloyds cam thing, but not close enough to anything or anybody to get it done. Have considered the performance filter, but don't know if it would help anything and if so, what. Help!!!
varyder
Posted 2009-02-26 5:20 AM (#29091 - in reply to #29082)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Greg, I always understood that when you went S1L1/2 that you went performance filter. That is so you get the best airflow, easy in, easy out. I've had many of discussions with the dealer when I was popping who tried hard to convince me to get the upgrade pipes, and I figured if this is the way it is built then it should run right, right? So I finally prevailed, still running stock pipes and my bike runs right. With that said, if you open the front, you need to open the rear, if you open the rear, you need to open the front, for optimal preformance. If you are running a stock air cleaner, my guess is you'll really like it when you go with the performace filter.

Lotzafun
Posted 2009-02-26 12:08 PM (#29105 - in reply to #29091)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
Ok......this thread has drifted off the original topic. But since good information is being discussed....lets continue.

As far as a question of what will the Victory Performance Filter do as far as "performance" meaning increase in HP or torque. Well...the short quick answer is that it WILL NOT increase performance. So now the next question is why won't it increase performance? Because it doesn't increase the airflow going into the engine. It is the same size as the stock filter. And the performance filter material still restricts airflow as much as the stock material. The only benefit the "Performance" filter provides is that it is cleanable/reusable....thats it. It should be renamed Victory Lifetime Filter.

The Lloydz Diffuser Plate has a filter built into it. And I'm pretty sure its a cleanable/reusable filter. The reason the Lloyz plate increases HP and torque is because it replaces the solid plate that is sitting over the throttle body. And it allows more airflow into the throttle body, and increased airflow equals increased performance.

I talked to Lloyd a long while back and got his opinion on removing the stock filter and going without it. He said this will increase performance because an airflow restriction is being removed. But the drawback to removing the stock filter is there would be unfiltered air and a very slight possibility of debris and/or water getting into the throttle body.

So the proverbial "dream setup" for a fairly good increase in performance would be to install a Lloydz diffuser plate and remove the stock filter and replace it with a basic filter "screen" that would keep debris and water out.
kevinx
Posted 2009-02-26 6:26 PM (#29122 - in reply to #29105)

Visionary

Lotzafun - 2009-02-26 12:08 PM
As far as a question of what will the Victory Performance Filter do as far as "performance" meaning increase in HP or torque. Well...the short quick answer is that it WILL NOT increase performance. So now the next question is why won't it increase performance? Because it doesn't increase the airflow going into the engine. It is the same size as the stock filter. And the performance filter material still restricts airflow as much as the stock material. The only benefit the "Performance" filter provides is that it is cleanable/reusable....thats it. It should be renamed Victory Lifetime Filter.

UMmmmm gotta disagree here. The medium used in the performance filter flows MUCH better then a paper filter. Now if that was the only thing done there WOILD be a measurable performance gain. Not big, but a definate gain. Playing around with an A\F meter you would be surprised at how much differance a slightly dirty paper filter vs. a K&N type filter makes. A slightly dirty K&N flows about the same as a clean K&N
Lotzafun
Posted 2009-02-26 8:01 PM (#29129 - in reply to #29122)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL

kevinx - 2009-02-26 5:26 PM  UMmmmm gotta disagree here. The medium used in the performance filter flows MUCH better then a paper filter. Now if that was the only thing done there WOILD be a measurable performance gain. Not big, but a definate gain. Playing around with an A\F meter you would be surprised at how much differance a slightly dirty paper filter vs. a K&N type filter makes. A slightly dirty K&N flows about the same as a clean K&N

Who are you to disagree with me !!! What experience could you possibly have ?????

Thanks for your reply. I like to be corrected/adjusted when I'm incorrect. It adds to my wisdom. And lord knows....can never have enough wisdom. And sometimes slightly incorrect answers can lead to....correct answers that would have never showed up  

I do see where a different media would help a bit. Obviously I didn't consider this factor much when I made my post. I was stuck on the "same size filter, so therefore same airflow" thinking. I'd be fairly interested in what the "measurable performance gain" would be between the two. Has anyone even ever ran a dyno between the two? I can't imagine it to be much. I'm thinking a couple of horses...maybe three? Or am I incorrect again...wouldn't suprise me.

And I just noticed in my post yesterday where I said the Performance filter would have a bit more airflow than stock and that barely any perfomance gain would be had. Hey..I never claimed perfection...lol. But I think I'm going to still stand by my "waste of money" thought, at least for the time being...unless Kevin or someone shows me the gains.

But Master Kevin....what about the REST of my post?

Specifically this part "So the proverbial "dream setup" for a fairly good increase in performance would be to install a Lloydz diffuser plate and remove the stock filter and replace it with a basic filter "screen" that would keep debris and water out"

I would really like some input on this theory of mine. Especially your input.

Edited by Lotzafun 2009-02-26 8:12 PM
kevinx
Posted 2009-02-26 8:12 PM (#29134 - in reply to #29129)

Visionary

Lotzafun - 2009-02-26 8:01 PM

p>

But Master Kevin....what about the REST of my post?

Specifically this part "So the proverbial "dream setup" for a fairly good increase in performance would be to install a Lloydz diffuser plate and remove the stock filter and replace it with a basic filter "screen" that would keep debris and water out"

I would really like some input on this theory of mine. Especially your input.

In a nut shell.......
Ain't no air getting into my motor without going through a REAL filter of some type. These motors use a coated cyl, and not a cast iron sleeve. This means that any heavy particulate could seriouisly damage the ring seal. Only place a "Basic" screen type of filter has a plae is in a racing motor that never runs off the relativly clean enviroment5 of a track, and is torn down periodicaly; to be freshened up.

Back to the question about measurable gain. It would depend a lot on how many miles were on the paper filter. The efficiancy of paper filters crash fairly quickly. So a NEW paper vs a New K&N
may only show a 2-3HP difference. However after 5K the diff could be 7-8HP. Belive it, or not the cloth filters like K&N tend to work better after 5K then when they are freshly cleaned, and oiled
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-02-27 6:30 AM (#29151 - in reply to #28944)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
now i have a question. can you install a k&n air filter on a bone stock vision withOut the need for remapping? The point of it would be to not have to purchase replacement filters over and over again...
kevinx
Posted 2009-02-27 6:49 AM (#29152 - in reply to #29151)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2009-02-27 6:30 AM

now i have a question. can you install a k&n air filter on a bone stock vision withOut the need for remapping? The point of it would be to not have to purchase replacement filters over and over again...

Yes!!
varyder
Posted 2009-02-27 8:09 AM (#29158 - in reply to #29152)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

kevinx - 2009-02-27 6:49 AM Arkainzeye - 2009-02-27 6:30 AM now i have a question. can you install a k&n air filter on a bone stock vision withOut the need for remapping? The point of it would be to not have to purchase replacement filters over and over again... Yes!!

Great! I've been wanting to go K&N so I could put the decal on my ride, I just don't know where to put it on the Vision.

Seriously, I'm going with the K&N the next go 'round. Does it fit better than the stock filters? I have a bugger of a time getting that thing in, it always seems it doesn't belong.

By the way Kevin, when you do performance work do you put a sticker on your work saying "Crossed Out!" ?

Edited by varyder 2009-02-27 8:11 AM
kevinx
Posted 2009-02-27 5:26 PM (#29185 - in reply to #29158)

Visionary

varyder - 2009-02-27 8:09 AM
By the way Kevin, when you do performance work do you put a sticker on your work saying "Crossed Out!" ?

Nope, but I am working on getting a custom cover for the lower cam chain plate. It is similer to the Rx that pharmacys use, but is a Kx
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™