You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Disappointed top end
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Gray rider
Posted 2009-03-08 1:20 PM (#29804)
Subject: Disappointed top end

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Went for a little rider yesterday. On the way home there's a stretch about 2 1/4 miles long and flat. Didn't see a vehicle in sight so I thought what the hell, let's see what she'll do! sixth gear and 4k rpms, only 110 mph. I was disappointed because I had read some guys getting 120 out of theirs. The only mod I have is the high flow air cleaner. Looks like I need to spend a few $ on up grades.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kevinx
Posted 2009-03-08 4:44 PM (#29810 - in reply to #29804)
Subject: RE: Disappointed top end

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Chek out the AZ cam party thread, and we can get you at least up to the limiter. BTW a Vision has more top speed in 5th gear due to gearing. Trying to push an over-driven motor through the air above 100 is pretty difficult.
Hopefully by the AZ party Lloyd will have plug, and play version of his speed limiter cut out

Edited by kevinx 2009-03-08 4:45 PM
Gray rider
Posted 2009-03-08 5:17 PM (#29813 - in reply to #29810)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Thanks. I remember reading that 5th gives a better top speed than 6th. Next time I get an opportunity, Ill have to give it a try.

What I'd really like to do is have the Lloydz mods done with the stage 1 L2 pipes. However, the wife would never let me spent the $1800+ that it would cost.
VisionTex
Posted 2009-03-08 11:26 PM (#29833 - in reply to #29813)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Several months back on the way out to west Texas, riding with my friend who has a GL1800 GW we did a 5th gear roll on. His Wing has special pipes, and whatever goes with that, I'm running Stage1 Level 1. I was please at my Visions performance in this run. From 65 mph until I hit the rev limiter in 5th somewhere between 115 - 120 mph, the two bikes were running wheel to wheel. It was amazing, I thought he would pull away at the upper end, but he did not. Before this, a couple of my HD buddies were really embaressed on similiar roll ons. The Vision is a high performance tourning motorcycle, it is fast and it is quick. Enjoy your ride.
rdbudd
Posted 2009-03-09 12:08 AM (#29841 - in reply to #29833)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
I also find the Vision to be equal to the Goldwing in 5th gear roll-on tests. My buddy rides a stock GL1800 and I have a stock Vision. From 35 mph all the way to 120 the bikes are virtually equal. In a standing start drag-race, the Goldwing will pull ahead of my Vision initially, but once we're both wound up the gap remains constant. The Goldwing has a slightly lower 1st gear ratio than the Vision, and redlines 1000 rpm higher. The result is that the Vision has to shift gears 3 times to reach 90 mph (4th gear), while the GW has to shift only 2 times (3rd gear). The Goldwing has 100 horsepower at the wheel. His Goldwing runs 12.78 in the quarter. Lloyd has stuff to get our Visions to 110 - 114 horsepower at the wheel. I suspect that with Lloyd's mods, a Vision would beat a Goldwing in the quarter mile race, and in the roll-on contest too, probably even with the Vision in 6th gear. I'm saving my pennies for Lloyd's goodies.

Ronnie
jeffmack
Posted 2009-03-09 8:06 AM (#29848 - in reply to #29841)

Iron Butt

Amen to that, Can't wait to have the Lloydz stuff installed.hopefully the end of the month!!!!!!
Gray rider
Posted 2009-03-09 8:32 PM (#29886 - in reply to #29848)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
I may behind the curve, but was there a firm date for the Arizona cam party? If so where is it being done at and times.

Thanks
smadge
Posted 2009-03-09 9:07 PM (#29890 - in reply to #29886)
Subject: Re: Disappointed top end

Cruiser

Kerrville Texas ( now a homeowner on six acres)
Yes, you can get more speed if you do this or that but, think how much brtter you will look in your casket crashing at 110 rather than 120 or 130.
rdbudd
Posted 2009-03-10 11:44 PM (#29993 - in reply to #29890)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
smadge - 2009-03-09 9:07 PM

Yes, you can get more speed if you do this or that but, think how much brtter you will look in your casket crashing at 110 rather than 120 or 130.

Yeah, Yeah, I know. Shouldn't be going that fast. It's all about bragging rights. My buddy and I are aging former crotch-rocketeers, so 130 MPH is actually pretty slow for us. I've been going too fast on motorcycles for 43 years now. I'll probably die someday. We don't run at high speeds for extended periods anymore, but it's still fun to turn the wick up now and then. His Goldwing is slightly faster than my Vision in a drag-race, which he is very quick to point out to anyone who asks. He is also very vocal in his opinion that no V-Twin can run with any 4 or 6 cylinder bike. That needs to be changed. If I can get my Vision to outrun his Goldwing, and get better fuel economy at the same time, he will have to change his tune. We're the best of friends, and always busting each others chops, and he really does like my Vision. I just need to outrun him.

Ronnie
rdbudd
Posted 2009-03-10 11:45 PM (#29994 - in reply to #29890)

Visionary

Jasper, MO
Double post.

Ronnie

Edited by rdbudd 2009-03-10 11:46 PM
Vinner1
Posted 2009-03-11 11:18 PM (#30041 - in reply to #29804)

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
Gray rider - 2009-03-08 12:20 PM

Went for a little rider yesterday. On the way home there's a stretch about 2 1/4 miles long and flat. Didn't see a vehicle in sight so I thought what the hell, let's see what she'll do! sixth gear and 4k rpms, only 110 mph. I was disappointed because I had read some guys getting 120 out of theirs. The only mod I have is the high flow air cleaner. Looks like I need to spend a few $ on up grades.

I continue to be amazed at the number of Vision owners that write and want to discuss the performance aspect of owning the most comfortable and unique looking touring bike on the market. There is another thread talking about the Dyno tests and Lloyds upgrades and getting another 20 hp, etc. and I personally don't get it...but it takes many different people to make this world go around so in the big scheme of things, no big deal.

I'm a half century old and have 2600 miles on my Vision I got in fall last year and love to dial it up and let it coast back down to legal and I think that's good enough to get my "Willie-tingling". Got it up to 120mph in 5th coming off a little hill (big deal)...it felt like crap with that much wind pressure on the front end compared to a bike designed for it…but as I told my spouse when I got the bike "I just got the coolest go-slow-look-at-me ride on the planet".

So coming off of a 4 cylinder (500cc smaller) engine BMW LT k1200 that is 116 hp and 130mph (no problem) when the rev limiter kicks in at 8000 rpm and a hydraulic suspension that made handling at 100+ feel like you were in a slot car, and blhaa, blhaa, blhaa, and yadda, yadda, yadda...Dude's & Dudette's the machine was made for the freakin Auto Bond…

My Vision is still the most "bitchen-fun" bike I have ever been on or owned...period! Do I miss the performance of the BMW...yeh every once in a while...but big freakin deal because when I can't ride the bike for more than an hour because the European's think that the proper riding position happens to have my foot behind my knee...and then my knee is screaming an hour into every ride....F-that! And then they have the nerve to call it a touring bike...I'd rather go slower...look great...and have everyone want to talk to me about my "mobile recliner" called the VISION!

Now that's what I'm talking about…..

Oh yeh...if I need to have that near death experience...my 1986 Honda V65 Magna...weight like 500lbs...132hp...redline 10,500 (zero to warp 3 in like 5 seconds)...I can't even come close to dialing out the six speed gearbox because it's ridiculous fast that it almost becomes airborn after shifting into 5th...but it's a classic "Muscle Bike"...it still is a "Willie Tingler" big time.

Edited by Vinner1 2009-03-11 11:26 PM
varyder
Posted 2009-03-11 11:21 PM (#30042 - in reply to #30041)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I rode to Texas and back like I was sitting in my living room, and had the big remote down in front of me. The Vision redefines "Easy Rider".

Like you Vinner1, I'm on the half century mark and love the thrill and freedom of riding. The Vision exceeds my expectations and it rolls the speed limit just fine with plenty of roll-on power when needed. I don't know what I'd do if it had anymore as I said, it already exceeds what I need. One thing I like about the Vision is it redefines cruising as well, because at 70mph, I feel like I'm only doing 50mph.

Edited by varyder 2009-03-11 11:25 PM
donetracey
Posted 2009-03-12 1:52 AM (#30045 - in reply to #30042)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
Best bike EVER at speeds over 70mph cruisin'...
I .... NEEEEED cruise control to keep the speed DOWN!!!!
radioteacher
Posted 2009-03-12 5:00 PM (#30067 - in reply to #29804)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Excuse the off topic post but......

I took my wife on a 120 mile round trip ride this past Saturday through the Texas Hill country from San Antonio to Wimberley. We went to Market Days and had a blast. T-Shirt weather made the ride a lot of fun. Last time she was on the back of the Vision was in November and she noticed two things.

I have become a much better Pilot of the Vision and I have just become a much better reader of the traffic.

On Sunday I got a call that made me have to go to Seguin. She went along....just for the ride.

What a ride!

Ride Safe!

Edited by radioteacher 2009-03-12 5:00 PM
varyder
Posted 2009-03-12 9:43 PM (#30084 - in reply to #30067)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Since I started riding again I've become very judgmental, but hey it pays off. I constantly judge what the idiot in the cage is going to do next. I'm glad the Vision has the acceleration, exhilaration and exclamations to do what it does to get past them.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™