You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

chrome
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

cw1115
Posted 2009-03-11 3:38 PM (#30027)
Subject: chrome

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I was starting to have some appearance problems with the chrome on my Vision. The tipover on the high side is starting to pit bad. I plan on trying to get it replace before my year is up. Not feeling too good about it since the dealer I bought the bike from is no longer. We'll see if my new dealer is interested in making me happy. The other was the rear exhaust pipe right behind the cylinder. Could not get what looked like water spots off. It was not smooth to the touch even after going at it with Mother's chrome polish.
Today I used the Mother's powerball on both with Mother's polish. The exhaust pipe is like brand new. Doing it by hand just didn't get it done. I hit the tipover too and did get rid of some of the pitting. It's a huge improvement, but not gone completely.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-03-17 10:44 AM (#30370 - in reply to #30027)
Subject: Re: chrome

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i noticed yesterday my high side of my tip over protection is starting to pit also! only the high side...
BarryBennett
Posted 2009-03-26 3:51 PM (#31014 - in reply to #30027)
Subject: RE: chrome

Cruiser

Columbia,MO
I know you will think this is crazy but an SOS soap pad works fantastic on chrome. DO NOT push down hard or stay in one place rubbing. I have used them on my chrome for years and they sparkle.
VaParadox
Posted 2009-03-26 3:56 PM (#31015 - in reply to #30027)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
You're right I will think you're crazy............ unless you like the brushed chrome look............ this might also void a warranty
proceed with caution.
BarryBennett
Posted 2009-03-26 9:09 PM (#31030 - in reply to #30027)

Cruiser

Columbia,MO
That is a stupid comment. I have been doing it for 20 years. So i speak from experience and you ignorance. A car detailer showed it to me years ago. You don't put much pressure and you don't rub in one spot. You glide it across.
RedDog
Posted 2009-03-28 9:54 AM (#31100 - in reply to #30027)

Cruiser

OHIO
While I have not used a SOS pad on the Vision, (no need too), they do work wonders on chrome. I've used them on bumpers, wheels, and just last week on my chrome tailpipe. They DO NOT mar chrome.
VaParadox
Posted 2009-03-29 10:31 PM (#31244 - in reply to #30027)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Sorry Barry, Since i didnt call you any names I wont start now, but being in the metal based industry, I will gladly forward you some photos of scratched metals from SOS pads. If you werent so hell bent on name calling, you would have understood that while its not always the product that causes the issue its THE TECHNICIAN. And thats why you cannot control the outcome, because what is little to no pressure to one person is different for another person. Before you call me stupid and ignorant, you'd be better off to get to know me and understand my knowledge in the industry. Ride safe.
VaParadox
Posted 2009-03-29 10:34 PM (#31245 - in reply to #30027)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Now for the rest of you. Pitting on metals (speaking generally), is caused from 3 issues. Humidity and temperature control, or lack there of, chemical reaction (using the wrong product on the wrong metal), and organic dirts. Best way to keep metals from pitting are to keep them well ventilated, (dont put a cover on your bike when you already have it in a garage), clean off the road dust/dirt/grime
when you get back from a ride, and keep a good surface of wax to help protect the metals surface. You want the metal to be as hydrophobic as possible. Road grime is typically acidic in nature which can eat away at metal surfaces. But then, dont listen to me, because im obviously stupid and ignorant as Barry suggested.
BarryBennett
Posted 2009-03-29 10:51 PM (#31251 - in reply to #30027)

Cruiser

Columbia,MO
VaParadox, I am sorry i did not mean to call you a name. Your comment pissed me off and I over reacted. Lets start over.
VaParadox
Posted 2009-03-29 10:56 PM (#31252 - in reply to #30027)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Ive been called worse, but that was before the divorce.... Im pretty thick skinned, you're fine buddy. Communicating in typed
text always has its challenges since you dont get intonation, tone, body language etc, so its often easy to misinterpret what someone says. Ride safe, no worries.
BarryBennett
Posted 2009-03-29 11:05 PM (#31254 - in reply to #30027)

Cruiser

Columbia,MO
Thanks sounds great!
Rebel
Posted 2009-03-30 9:18 AM (#31260 - in reply to #30027)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
To be more precise, he called your comment stupid, not you. But I think VaP is right about what how different people interpret "little or no pressure." To kind of back up what Barry is talking about, the instructions for Liquid Glass state that once it's on and and cured you have to use fine steel wool to remove it. I imagine that steel wool would be much worse on paint than on chrome, so I'm guessing you have to be very careful with your technique and pressure.
cw1115
Posted 2009-03-30 3:49 PM (#31286 - in reply to #30027)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
While I don't disagree with using SOS, I'm thinking it would not be a good idea on this part. I used a very soft cloth with chrome polish with a good about of pressure thanks to being frustrated. I now have a dull area where I went back and forth without due regard. As far as the reason for the pitting. My bike is garage kept and not covered. I have OCD when it comes to my vehicles. That Vision has had more washing, waxing, quick detail, you name it in ten months than most bikes will ever see. Maybe it was plated the day after superbowl, who knows.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™