You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

1200 mile clutch update
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

cag3506
Posted 2009-03-28 7:31 PM (#31141)
Subject: 1200 mile clutch update

Puddle Jumper

To start off with I have been riding since 1966. Took my first cycle trip at the age of 16
on a Honda 500-4. 2 cans of chain lube & 5000 miles in 2 1/2 weeks. I was hooked on touring. Fast forward many years later. I started investigating the Vision as soon as heard about it in magazines and forums. Finally in Jan of 09 I took the plunge . After test riding 4 Visions I bought a 08 Vision premium from an individual in Arizona with about 500 miles who sold it do to his job. He also is a seasoned rider. I checked with his dealer to confirm that the warranty work was done & it was. Now back in Kansas I was riding every chance I could between snowstorms. Around 1000 miles I noticed I had to extend clutch lever further away from grip to get clutch to engage. I called dealer & he said there is no adjustment with this type of clutch. That I should bring it in. I was already about 40 miles out of town. It got worse & worse as I trying to get back to Topeka. As soon as I hit about 3000 RPM I would loose engine engagement. By now I am doing about 20 MPH on a Hi-way & loosing speed. First chance I got I pulled off road to see if it cooled off I might limp home. Did not work & I was stuck on road about 10 miles away from dealer. I called them & they picked the bike up.
(Freestate Cycle) .They tore into it the next day & told me the friction plates where fired.
I knew that Victory had strong clutches so I assumed at 1200 miles it had to be a defect. Even if I tried to ruin plates I do not think I could do that at 1200 miles, Again I thought must be a defect and would be covered by warranty. I road my brothers Kingpin for a while & it has a very strong clutch. The dealer called me back a few days later & told me factory denied clam. They said it is a wear item & must have been abused. I was a little shocked at this answer. My dealer called & email the factory for next week & got the same response . NOT covered. So I stared posting to see if anyone has had this issue before. Some guys acted like I was bad mouthing there wives. They probably have SDS. I guess they thought I was trashing there brand of bikes. I also called 6 other dealers to find out if anyone had heard about clutches going out at 1200 miles. Even called Lloydz to get his opinion. And seems know one has heard of this happening. Which in my opinion falls back on a defect of some kind. Especially if it is that rare.. If I was Victory I would want to know why they have a needle in a haystack problem with one bike. Just from the PR point of view I would think they would want to solve this issue. Its not about the money, Its about the princeable of the thing. I do appreciate everyone's input .I still think this is a great bike & plan on putting on ton of miles on it. I just hope Victory steps up to the plate. There is no way I abused this bike. Craig

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miles
Posted 2009-03-28 8:22 PM (#31145 - in reply to #31141)
Subject: Re: 1200 mile clutch update

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Thanks for the update. Wow. is all I have to say. How disappointing. As you can see from your calls and talks with folks like Lloyd and your own experience, it would seem this is a Warranty issue. But, warranty issues have always been a bit shakey ground with Victory. The bottom line it seems is that the "dealer" has to "sell it" to Polaris. The Dealer is the one who is on the hook. Last I knew, they still had to buy the parts, do the work, then THEY submit for re-reimbursement of the parts and labor, and I have heard they get "credit" not cash for their efforts. In the mean time, talking to the warrantee company likely gets you talking to someone doesn't know the difference between a motorcycle and Motorhead, except maybe they both can be loud.

None of this is any comfort I'm sure. How about getting your insurance company involved. It's a legit repair, and you know if THEY pay... they are going to get their money from somewhere, and the first stop is going to Victory. Larger insurance companies sometimes have a bit more clout.

I hope you stick with it. Until someone comes along a proves to you it was abuse, I'd stay on them. I'm guessing it was a hefty chunk of change to get fixed.

The only comfort I can say is that Victory has been known to do the right thing once they get the original parts back and see the defect. Lets hope that happens in your case.
Vinner1
Posted 2009-03-28 9:03 PM (#31150 - in reply to #31145)

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
Miles - 2009-03-28 7:22 PM

...None of this is any comfort I'm sure. How about getting your insurance company involved. It's a legit repair, and you know if THEY pay... they are going to get their money from somewhere, and the first stop is going to Victory. Larger insurance companies sometimes have a bit more clout.

I hope you stick with it. Until someone comes along a proves to you it was abuse, I'd stay on them. I'm guessing it was a hefty chunk of change to get fixed.

The only comfort I can say is that Victory has been known to do the right thing once they get the original parts back and see the defect. Lets hope that happens in your case.

I too hope Victory steps up to the plate. I know exactly how you are feeling as three days after I had my Vision I brought it back with cracks all around the headlight assembly...I got to hold my breath for two days while "Victory would lend their virdict"...my dealer said don't be surprised if they deny the claims because it could look like to Victory that I could have hit something to cause these fractures...I was livid...and I let my dealer have it too! Got it fixed under warranty but that was the last business that dealer got from me...I thought they were incompetent boobs and their back room and mechanics area looked like hacks worked there. I use another one that was the same distance away...thank goodness...and love them.

Miles: What would the claim be against Craig's insurance company to have them kick in and then subrogate against Polaris/Victory. I am in a related field and am always interested in how people figure situations can be rectified with GL & PD insurance coverage.
varyder
Posted 2009-03-28 9:06 PM (#31151 - in reply to #31141)
Subject: RE: 1200 mile clutch update

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Craig, since this is a new post to update us on the progress of your situation and since I'm the one that probably trashed you the most, I feel compelled to responsed. I hope to ride with you one day and I don't think you're just trashing the Vision. I have no concerns there as the Vision, at least mine, is what it is. I think it is a premium machine and love to ride it. It is my primary ride, so much so I'm skipping a plane ride to ride to Atlanta for business, even in light of severe thunderstorms.

I see things this way, you are asking for a) help, or b) sympathy from the users of this site as this forum will not get you answer from Victory nor fix your problem. So if you are just asking for sympathy, you got, from me anyways, you're in a bad situation and you want it fixed, I wish you well. If you are asking for help to advise you what to do, then we need all the facts, not just part pieces, this is where I'm having the trouble. What I know so far is that your clutch is shot, the dealer says it is by examination, and you say you did nothing wrong. However, in a short period of time you say it goes from doing well, to a longer release travel, to it don't work no more, and all the diagnoses is, the clutch is shot. Victory says in light of no other problem, nope, can't fix your clutch for you, it is a wear issue.

From a wrench standpoint I have to totally agree with them, as a mechanical problem clutches alone don't go bad all by themselves. They have to have some extrenious force going on, from a lot of miles, to mechanical misalignment to just plain riding the clutch. So with just a simple 1,200 miles it is not from a lot of miles, so that leaves mechanical misalignment or just plan riding the clutch. (by the way, when I say mechanical misalignment I mean anything that would mechanically affect the clutch to include the hydraulics and proper oil used). So the dealer inspects the mechanics of the bike and finds absolutely nothing wrong, so that leaves us to one thing, riding the clutch or using the wrong oil or additive. However, you say that is not the case, at all, you are an experience rider with 100 years of experience and 6,000,000 miles under your chaps and you know by golly how to ride a bike, clutch and all. Sorry for the embelliousment, but just want to make a point. So that takes us back to the mechanical aspect of the bike that no one can lay a claim to ever, ever seeing this before.

So with all that said, no, Victory will not simply put a new clutch in your bike on the claim that it just wore out. However, I do agree they might want to know mechanically went wrong, and if you are insistant that the bike was not in working order, then you need to get this revealed as to what this problem is. If the bike is under warranty and the problem is not from abuse, then not only will you get your new clutch, you will get your bike fixed. Now, with the fact that you said this is a used bike, it is possible that the previous owner did indeed do something to the bike, and there again, it is abuse and not Victory's problem, but you might have a civil case against the previous owner.

Victory does not, (cringe, as I do believe they need to work on a few PR issues) have to step up to any plate in this situation, unless you are willing to pursue, "What caused the clutch to fail." and it falls to a mechanical issue not at the result of abuse.

I'm no laywer, nor do I play one on TV, but if it was me I would not leave the shop until ever conceivable review of every component related to the clutch was thoroughly inspected to rule it out or in. Then, in this inspection by the dealer reveals the problem, you have a case, to which I agree with you. Take the focus off the clutch plates and put it on what cause the clutch plates to fail.

Okay, I've said my peace and the offense rests. (say it isn't so) Hope you get to the bottom of this Craig.

slowryder
Posted 2009-03-29 12:47 AM (#31170 - in reply to #31141)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Was the oil saved, as Chris pointed out the previous owner could have used a non spec oil, it would contain some information hopefully Hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction.

Edited by slowryder 2009-03-29 12:49 AM
radioteacher
Posted 2009-03-29 8:56 AM (#31181 - in reply to #31141)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
slowryder,

Craig and I have communicated about this issue a lot over the past few days. I was thinking about oil as well....but the 500 Mile was done at a dealer just before he bought the Vision. A new owner most likely would not change the oil before 500 miles and a dealer would not put in the wrong oil.....Well I hope that is the case.

I guess someone could add additives to the oil that are not made for a wet clutch.

I am glad Craig is back on the road again.

Ride Safe.
varyder
Posted 2009-03-29 9:13 AM (#31183 - in reply to #31181)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

radioteacher - 2009-03-29 8:56 AM slowryder, Craig and I have communicated about this issue a lot over the past few days. I was thinking about oil as well....but the 500 Mile was done at a dealer just before he bought the Vision. A new owner most likely would not change the oil before 500 miles and a dealer would not put in the wrong oil.....Well I hope that is the case. I guess someone could add additives to the oil that are not made for a wet clutch. I am glad Craig is back on the road again. Ride Safe.

RT it sounds like the Vision is back on the road again, so all that is left is if Craig pursues the warranty claim or goes after the previous owner he still has a burden of proof. The first thing to do is find ANY like case where there was an addivitive added to a wet clutch system that would cause RAPID deteration of the friction plates. This would mean that it would both be slick enough and abrasive enough to both slip and wear. Concerns of too slippery would cause it to slip but not wear, abrasive would cause it eat away at the plates on engaging, disengaging, but would be a continual process.

Also, lets say it was the fluid, then he shouldn't have much more problems. But if it is mechanical, he'll get the same results and we should be hearing from him around the 2,400 mile mark.

Just trying to help figure this out, as this is truly a mystery in my mind.

Edited by varyder 2009-03-29 9:13 AM
Travelin Man
Posted 2009-03-29 11:49 AM (#31192 - in reply to #31150)

Iron Butt

Vinner1 - 2009-03-28 8:03 PM Miles - 2009-03-28 7:22 PM ...None of this is any comfort I'm sure. How about getting your insurance company involved. It's a legit repair, and you know if THEY pay... they are going to get their money from somewhere, and the first stop is going to Victory. Larger insurance companies sometimes have a bit more clout. I hope you stick with it. Until someone comes along a proves to you it was abuse, I'd stay on them. I'm guessing it was a hefty chunk of change to get fixed. The only comfort I can say is that Victory has been known to do the right thing once they get the original parts back and see the defect. Lets hope that happens in your case. I too hope Victory steps up to the plate. I know exactly how you are feeling as three days after I had my Vision I brought it back with cracks all around the headlight assembly...I got to hold my breath for two days while "Victory would lend their virdict"...my dealer said don't be surprised if they deny the claims because it could look like to Victory that I could have hit something to cause these fractures...I was livid...and I let my dealer have it too! Got it fixed under warranty but that was the last business that dealer got from me...I thought they were incompetent boobs and their back room and mechanics area looked like hacks worked there. I use another one that was the same distance away...thank goodness...and love them. Miles: What would the claim be against Craig's insurance company to have them kick in and then subrogate against Polaris/Victory. I am in a related field and am always interested in how people figure situations can be rectified with GL & PD insurance coverage.

Who was your original dealer?  I use Randy's Cycles in Huntley, Illinois, but he is moving even further away from me and that will put my ride to him to about the same as other dealers in the general WI/IL area.

Teach
Posted 2009-04-05 5:03 PM (#31613 - in reply to #31141)

Visionary

The previous owner could have easily torched this clutch without realizing what he was doing. Once the fibers heat and gloss its all over with. My guess is the first rider rode the clutch because he wasn't use to a hydro clutch and the Vision has such a long release. This is pretty common on the Suzuki LC1500's which have similar hydro clutch/release characteristics. This motor makes a lot of torque and power so it wouldn't take much spinning before it was shot. Easy way to tell if you are burning the clutch is to smell the oil at changes. If it smells like burnt cork you need to adjust your riding habits (clutch use). Did the shop check spring and plate flex???
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-05 7:14 PM (#31623 - in reply to #31613)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Not surprised that Vic did not buy the clutch. About the only way to create a failure this quick is with a bad oil coise, or straight up abuse[accidental, or intentional] As for Vic wanting to see the clutch. It would pretty much be a waste to them. All they would see is a set of glazed disks, and cooked steels.
Sorry for your expieriance, but I am sure it is isolated
Vinner1
Posted 2009-04-06 7:58 PM (#31673 - in reply to #31192)

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
see below

Edited by Vinner1 2009-04-06 8:00 PM
Vinner1
Posted 2009-04-06 7:59 PM (#31674 - in reply to #31192)

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
Travelin' Man - 2009-03-29 10:49 AM

Vinner1 - 2009-03-28 8:03 PM Miles - 2009-03-28 7:22 PM ...None of this is any comfort I'm sure. How about getting your insurance company involved. It's a legit repair, and you know if THEY pay... they are going to get their money from somewhere, and the first stop is going to Victory. Larger insurance companies sometimes have a bit more clout. I hope you stick with it. Until someone comes along a proves to you it was abuse, I'd stay on them. I'm guessing it was a hefty chunk of change to get fixed. The only comfort I can say is that Victory has been known to do the right thing once they get the original parts back and see the defect. Lets hope that happens in your case. I too hope Victory steps up to the plate. I know exactly how you are feeling as three days after I had my Vision I brought it back with cracks all around the headlight assembly...I got to hold my breath for two days while "Victory would lend their virdict"...my dealer said don't be surprised if they deny the claims because it could look like to Victory that I could have hit something to cause these fractures...I was livid...and I let my dealer have it too! Got it fixed under warranty but that was the last business that dealer got from me...I thought they were incompetent boobs and their back room and mechanics area looked like hacks worked there. I use another one that was the same distance away...thank goodness...and love them. Miles: What would the claim be against Craig's insurance company to have them kick in and then subrogate against Polaris/Victory. I am in a related field and am always interested in how people figure situations can be rectified with GL & PD insurance coverage.

Who was your original dealer?  I use Randy's Cycles in Huntley, Illinois, but he is moving even further away from me and that will put my ride to him to about the same as other dealers in the general WI/IL area.

G & G...Muskego, Wi
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™