You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Help with Garmin 2720
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

raynman
Posted 2009-03-30 7:15 PM (#31303)
Subject: Help with Garmin 2720

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
I just purchased a reconditioned Garmin 2720, but have some questions. First, I tried to register the unit, but the website indicated that it has already been registered. Second, there was supposed to be a USB driver CD that came with it (which I didn't get). Don't I need this to hook the unit up to my PC? Does anyone have a copy they could send me? Third, I did receive a CITY NAVIGATOR NT CD that will not load. What is this CD used for? All I am looking for is a means to get updated maps, so at this point I am not sure what I need. Sorry for all the questions, but the Garmin doc is terrible, at best. I spent over an hour waiting on the phone for Garmin support, and eventually gave up. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks - Ray
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Miles
Posted 2009-03-30 7:32 PM (#31306 - in reply to #31303)
Subject: Re: Help with Garmin 2720

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
Hi Ray,
Give Garmin support a try again. I have had stellar experience with them on several occasions so maybe it was a bad day. Anyway, once they clear up the "registration" issue, you can get onto myGarmin and download whatever software and firmware upgrades might be available. The Navigator CD may have to be unlocked depending on where you got it. If it came with the unit, there should be an unlock code.
As far as the software driver, again, a simple download from myGarmin. There's actually a universal one under downloads. I'm not as familar with the 2720, but I believe it has the maps already in it. There may be firmware map upgrades, just like software map upgrades for Navigator.
I use navigator mostly to find and mark "Waypoints" then I just download those to the GPS. It's just easier to do on the computer than on the unit. Same if you want to check out your route log, easier to look at on the computer than on the unit itself.

However, having written all that, I believe the 2720 is ready to go out of the box. Getting updates will be nice, but they don't happen that often (maybe once or twice a year) and likely a refurb has the latest updates on it.

hope this was of some help. By the way, to give you an idea of my support experience with Garmin, I think the most impressive was when I was using my StreetPilot III on my bike and the antenna started to get loose. It was already a discontinued unit when I called, and they just asked for my name and address, and a new antenna showed up in the mail a couple days later. No charge. Another time, early on, I didn't understand the whole "route" thing.... they stepped me right through it over the phone.

FWIW For those who have smartphones.. Mobile10 and MobileXT rock!!!!!
raynman
Posted 2009-03-31 12:42 PM (#31345 - in reply to #31306)

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
Miles - Thanks for the response. The unit is functioning fine out of the box (although I have not yet hooked it up to the Vision). I guess I need to try to contact Garmin again to get the registration issue cleared up, as I do want access to updated maps. What number did you use to contact them? (I am assuming the support number listed on their web site?) thanks - Ray
Flatsix
Posted 2009-03-31 2:02 PM (#31350 - in reply to #31345)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

One tip...call them as soon as they open up as there seems to be much less of a wait then.

raynman
Posted 2009-03-31 3:21 PM (#31364 - in reply to #31303)
Subject: RE: Help with Garmin 2720

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
Well, I finally got through to Garmin and got my registration issue cleared up. This leads me to my next question....

Does the Victory GPS mount come equipped with all necessary connectors to integrate the GPS into the Vision on-board audio system? Or do I need to purchase a separate cable?
rmclarty
Posted 2009-04-03 11:37 AM (#31491 - in reply to #31303)

Cruiser

Sugar Land, TX (Outside of Houston)
Yes - The Mount comes with the cable and the plug in connection is on the right side of the console down on the wiring harness (a green connector). I even modified my console with a hole to pull the cable up through the center of the mount rather than have it hanging over the side.

Richard
rmclarty
Posted 2009-04-03 11:37 AM (#31492 - in reply to #31303)

Cruiser

Yes - The Mount comes with the cable and the plug in connection is on the right side of the console down on the wiring harness (a green connector). I even modified my console with a hole to pull the cable up through the center of the mount rather than have it hanging over the side.

Richard
rmclarty
Posted 2009-04-03 11:42 AM (#31494 - in reply to #31303)

Cruiser

BTW - Here is a link to how to install the Vision Riders Splash Screen on the Tech Page. That will be the next thing you want to do:

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2141&pos...

Richard
Trekwolf164
Posted 2011-05-27 6:08 AM (#87240 - in reply to #31306)

Iron Butt

New York State
I have a 2720 I bought the lifetime Maps. Well yesterday I got an E-Mail that said a new download was out there.
371 minuets later my Garmin was updated. If you have a Garmin check out if your due for an update.
sonicbluerider
Posted 2011-05-27 3:20 PM (#87274 - in reply to #31303)

Tourer

, IA
oh my after years trying to upload the v-r logo i got it on my 2730 yahoooooo
biddysere
Posted 2018-11-08 6:28 AM (#192726 - in reply to #31306)

Puddle Jumper

Does maps download via satellite or computer? I tried to connect it to my Garmin App but got a Failure message- USB port not recognized.
biddysere
Posted 2018-11-08 6:28 AM (#192727 - in reply to #31306)

Puddle Jumper

Does maps download via satellite or computer? I tried to connect it to my Garmin App but got a Failure message- USB port not recognized.
TommyGun
Posted 2018-11-09 10:53 PM (#192728 - in reply to #31303)

Puddle Jumper

Mossyrock, WA
You have to upload new maps throughout computer. But I doubt that Garmin supports that old unit anymore. I pulled mine off and installed a Garmin Drive 50. In 20/20 hindsight I just should bought a used Android phone and Bluetooth it to the stereo. Google maps is far superior to anything Garmin has.
DOA
Posted 2018-11-13 9:31 AM (#192733 - in reply to #192728)

New user

Southern, AZ
I have not used them, but another board had several cheerleaders saying they were good.
They might be able to put the latest maps on your 2720 for you.
http://www.palmdr.com/cart/repair-services-gps-repairs-c-31_68.html...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™