You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Mounting Zumo behind the windshield??
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

candubrain
Posted 2009-03-31 8:37 PM (#31390)
Subject: Mounting Zumo behind the windshield??

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
Somewhere I saw a photo of a Zumo 550 mounted on the small dash behind the windshield on a Vision. Can't find it anymore, (should have saved the link).
If you can direct me or have info on it, much appreciated.
Will be picking up the Vision on the 8th, so time to start accessorizing. I think the panel mount for the GPS is too far below my line of sight, (6'4" thing) so I'm looking to mount it higher so I won't be taking my eyes off the road too much to see the screen.

thanks
brian
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Newfie
Posted 2009-03-31 11:07 PM (#31407 - in reply to #31390)
Subject: RE: Mounting Zumo behind the windshield??

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Even at 6"4" it may still be a bit of a stretch to reach the Zumo touchscreen if it is mounted on the dash behind the windshield.

I mounted mine on the centre console with a RAM Mount and it works great...but I'm only 5"8" so my eyes are a lot closer to the console than yours are.

Just a suggestion...Have you considered the handlebar mounting option like some have posted here? This may get it up higher while still keeping it within easy reach.

EDIT: I couldn't find a still pic with the Zumo on the dash but here is a Video Link that was posted by SongFan that show a Zumo monted on the dash....I believe ther may also be some info in the thread about how the Zumo was mounted to the dash on the bike in the Video.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=2050&pos...

Hope this helps....

Edited by Newfie 2009-03-31 11:20 PM
SongFan
Posted 2009-04-01 8:50 AM (#31411 - in reply to #31390)

Visionary

Memphis
Let me see if I can dig up some pics of that mount.  It is a really great set-up because even though the mount is on the dash, the GPS itself extends out over the console on a 2" arm so it is easy to reach.  It is super adjustable so you can place it exactly where you want it in your line of sight.
jeffmack
Posted 2009-04-01 9:44 AM (#31412 - in reply to #31390)
Subject: Re: Mounting Zumo behind the windshield??

Iron Butt

i must say I love havin the zumo on my dash. Like song says it sits up nicely and blocks out nothing but the key. Also, its a great place to attach wires and route them so they can't be see. I have the power wire, XM antenna wire, and i 3.5mm jack to a female ipod plug that runs into the left compartment for Sound. Works great
Flatsix
Posted 2009-04-01 3:18 PM (#31420 - in reply to #31411)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

How did you fasten the 'ball mount' to the dash Songfan? 

VaParadox
Posted 2009-04-01 4:04 PM (#31421 - in reply to #31390)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
there is a ball mount that has a 4 position screw base.
SongFan
Posted 2009-04-01 5:08 PM (#31424 - in reply to #31390)

Visionary

Memphis

This is my secret to the dash mount.

Photobucket

Flip it over so the thumbscrews and ball are on top.  Ignore the diamond-shaped mount.  You would attach the arm to the mount supplied with your Zumo.  The thumbscrews are plastic so I took it to my local hardware store and got stainless steel screws with locknuts for a more secure fit.  I had two nickels taped to the top of the dash because I didn't want to tighten the screws into the plastic.  The tape I use is called gaffers tape and it looks like black duct tape but is better in my opinion.  (The nickels are under the black tape and it's basically invisible when installed.)

Here is the Ram Mount link.  This mount is under the aviation section. http://www.ram-mount.com/CatalogResults/PartDetails/tabid/63/partid/082065077045066045049055055085/Default.aspx

I'll set up my unit and get pics posted here by the weekend.

candubrain
Posted 2009-04-01 7:38 PM (#31426 - in reply to #31390)

Cruiser

Kincardine, Ontario, Canada
that's it, I remember watching the video.
thanks for the Link SongFan, and you have great riding skills.
I'm going to order the RAM mount, looking forward to the pics, thanks.

Edited by candubrain 2009-04-01 7:39 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™