You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Flat Tire repair kits
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-06 6:44 PM (#31663)
Subject: Flat Tire repair kits

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
im going to be riding alot if not all of my trips this year alone. so far i have over 3000 miles of trips alone. and to be honest it scares me a little. im mostly scared about getting a flat. Do any of your guys use one of them "kits" i never had one and i dont know anything about them. So im asking for help. which kit is a good kit. and what should i all look for in one of these kits. Any links you guys can post on here to show what i should purchase? thanks guys!

Chris
Top of the page Bottom of the page
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-06 7:11 PM (#31666 - in reply to #31663)
Subject: RE: Flat Tire repair kits

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Try Competition Accessories.com, that is where I got a Slime Tire Inflator. It is a small 12v air compressor about the same size as the plam of your hand about $40. Also you can get tire repair kits, plug kits, tire sealent etc...... I carry it on the bike all the time. It is in one of the net pouches in the saddle bag lids. I also carry a small roll of duct tape all the time. Most of the time I tape up my buddy's Road King shifter arm, but it can come in handy if someone backs into your bike and knocks off something. Good luck on your trip and enjoy yourself.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-06 7:15 PM (#31668 - in reply to #31663)
Subject: Re: Flat Tire repair kits

Visionary

Take a cell phone and a snack. The cell to call for a tow truck and the snack for while you are waiting for the truck to arrive. You ride a 900lb bike so check the tire for road hazard & tire pressure every morning and don't worry about flats. With the tires & wheels you are running flats are very rare. I use to carry a tire repair kit but gave it up when I started riding heavies with tubeless tires. Seriously Chris I wouldn't worry about it and in the event it does occur call for a tow truck. You'd be better served to carry a list of Victory and/or Honda dealers where you could get the tire replaced if you are unfortunate enough to get a flat. If you must carry a kit go to WalMart and get a standard plug kit. While you are there pick up a CO2 tire pump and some spare CO2 cartridges. Thats all you'll need.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-06 7:19 PM (#31669 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
thanks for the info. here is a link i found from that website! http://www.compacc.com/s/Accessories_Tools_Tire_Repair_Kits.cfm
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-06 7:43 PM (#31671 - in reply to #31669)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
you think this is for street bikes? http://www.compacc.com/p.cfm/c/1111008/p/819 i mean along with a plug?
cjnoho
Posted 2009-04-06 9:30 PM (#31693 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

So Cal
My tire guy told me that Slime will eat at the alluminum from the inside out. My last HD had it in before I bought it and didnt know it. Had to clean a lot of corrosion off to get it to seal again. I carry the standard rope type plugs, never had a problem.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-06 9:45 PM (#31696 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
yeah i wasnt looking at slime. i was looking at the other stuff i posted above. but thanks for the heads up!! you have any links to the products you use?
exharleyrider
Posted 2009-04-06 10:18 PM (#31705 - in reply to #31663)

Cruiser

got one with the '97 ultra. still have it. never used. i like the cell phone/snack idea or better yet a compliant female accessory.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-08 8:45 PM (#31812 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I've heard that SLiME will ruin my rims?

Our SLiME Sealant for tubeless tires is formulated with rust and corrosion inhibitors as well as a pH buffer making the product more alkaline. All of these ingredients work to protect the integrity of your rim. It is important to note there are factors which can allow damage to occur in spite of this. If you want to err on the side of caution, you can use SLiME as a roadside repair. All you need is SLiME and an air compressor! SLiME can have an adverse affect on certain types of aluminum rims. Because alloys differ, it is difficult to predict how SLiME will react with your rims specifically. Over the years, though, we have found that older rims are more susceptible to damage from SLiME. Make sure that, if you have tubeless tires, you are using our tubeless formula. Our inner tube formula does not contain rust and corrosion inhibitors. Do not leave SLiME inside your tires for more than 2 years. After that time, we cannot guarantee the integrity of your rims. If pre-existing damage is present, we do not recommend using SLiME.
cjnoho
Posted 2009-04-11 2:01 AM (#31991 - in reply to #31696)

Visionary

So Cal
Arkainzeye - 2009-04-06 6:45 PM

yeah i wasnt looking at slime. i was looking at the other stuff i posted above. but thanks for the heads up!! you have any links to the products you use?

Any auto parts store has the repair kits. As far as air? If it goes flat quickly, its too big to repair. If its a slow leak, I wait until Im near air before I pull the object out.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-11 9:53 PM (#32045 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Rightnow im using nothing. i really would like to find something to use..
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-12 11:36 AM (#32076 - in reply to #32045)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The title of this post is flat tire repair kits, but really it should maybe be emergency flat tire repair kit. If you do a repair on the road to get you back home or to a dealer, the repair that you do is only temporary. Some folks say they will use a cell phone and wait for a tow......good luck with that when it is in middle of the night and your 50 miles from nowhere! There are many areas in the states that don't have cell phone coverage and we have read several post about people having bikes towed, scary. Using a sealant for an emergency to get you back on road and to a shop is not going to ruin you rim. CO2 cylinders or a small 12v air pump can be used to inflate the tire so you can ride it. Consult with you Victory dealer or any other motorcycle dealer, they all sell something. Autopart stores also have many, but remember, these kits are only to be used to get you back to a repair shop. Most tire repair shops or dealers will advise you if your tire can be patched and used. Side wall punctures will probably not get repaired by a shop. Good luck.
spursmvp
Posted 2009-04-12 9:43 PM (#32134 - in reply to #31663)

Tourer

O'Neill, Nebraska
I carry a small 12V pump and a MC tire plug kit. I've had to use it a couple of times....not after the tire is flat, but rather in my garage and I notice a nail sticking out of the tire. I'd rather pull the nail, plug the tire and then ride to the dealer for a new one.

As everyone knows, all of the shops now say to replace and not plug the tire due to liability issues; however I've ridden quite a long distance on a plugged tire in the past and never had any issues. In my old age I'm leaning more toward replacing the tire to be on the safe side.

As for the SLIME or any type of internal sealer, what I've heard is that this stuff is not good for the tire tech that works on the tire. It may or may not corrode the rim, but I've heard that you better warn the tire guy before he pulls the tire off or you might have a fight on your hands. Might just be a rumor....
RedRider
Posted 2009-04-14 5:30 PM (#32255 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Hope this doesn't jinx me but 100,000 miles in 10 years and no flats. If or when I do it will be the cellphone and 1-800-come tow my arse home.
Thought many times about repair kit but never had the room when packed for long trips. The problem was the compressor or how many CO2 cartridges do I carry?
Now I have to buy a 12V phone charger.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-14 6:24 PM (#32258 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
today i got back from a 956 mile round trip from PA to NC. and 3 times i stopped my vision to take a break. and the scary thing i noticed when i tried to call home was... NO SERVICE!!! that gave me a chill.... i couldnt imagine late at night...
Len Rhymes
Posted 2009-04-14 6:37 PM (#32260 - in reply to #32258)

Jacksonville Florida
The Vision will run on zero air pressure, don't ask me how I found that out. Just carry a can of Fix a Flat and a CO 2 cartridge. Then head for the nearest bike shop and put new rubber on it. The Tech should clean your rim before mounting the new rubber.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-14 9:16 PM (#32276 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Are you serious? ZERO air? are they some kinda run flat tires or something? lol
Maverick
Posted 2009-04-23 11:35 PM (#32983 - in reply to #31666)

Cruiser

Cabot Arkansas
VisionTex - 2009-04-06 7:11 PM

Try Competition Accessories.com, that is where I got a Slime Tire Inflator. It is a small 12v air compressor about the same size as the plam of your hand about $40. Also you can get tire repair kits, plug kits, tire sealent etc...... I carry it on the bike all the time. It is in one of the net pouches in the saddle bag lids. I also carry a small roll of duct tape all the time. Most of the time I tape up my buddy's Road King shifter arm, but it can come in handy if someone backs into your bike and knocks off something. Good luck on your trip and enjoy yourself.

I ordered the Slime Brand air inflator online from Gander Mountain for $22.49 with free shipping

ALTERNATIVE VIEWSZoom View Slime Power Sport Tire Inflator
Item # 401541

In Stock

Free ground shipping within the contiguous United States.

Reg. $29.99 Sale $22.49

Web Price Only

The Slime Power Sport Tire Inflator is a versatile, compact inflation system that features interchangeable power adapters to accommodate multiple power sources.

Interchangeable power adapters

Carrying case dimensions: 6"h x 6"w x 2.25"d

Kit weight: 2.2 lbs.

Complete instructions included

cw1115
Posted 2009-04-24 5:50 AM (#32985 - in reply to #32983)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I just looks at the slime inflator. Looks perfect for the bike. I think I'll be ordering one. Thanks Maverick.
Magic
Posted 2009-04-24 8:29 AM (#32993 - in reply to #31663)

Cruiser

San Antonio, Texas
OK, this is probably stupid, but I have to ask......in a pinch, could you use the pump for the air adjustable shocks to get enough air into your tire to get to a shop? That's assuming you are able to plug the problem first.
varyder
Posted 2009-04-24 8:33 AM (#32994 - in reply to #32993)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Well, let say it's like trying to inflate the Goodyear Blimp with it. Please, don't ask me how I know...
RedRider
Posted 2009-04-27 5:42 AM (#33193 - in reply to #31663)

Visionary

I was thinking about the shock air pump this weekend. Volume is the problem. So the easiest thing to do is get the better half talking to the guy that stopped to give you a hand while you put a hose between his tire and yours. You would both have about 15 lbs each? But he doesn't know it. :P Would that be enough to get to the next station?
Don't most of the road service trucks have an air tank with them now a days? So as long as you have a plug kit you should be good?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™