You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Headlite replacement
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Teach
Posted 2009-04-09 9:12 PM (#31888)
Subject: Headlite replacement

Visionary

Just curious how many here have had the headlite replaced for the cracking issue? and had the new one crack?
I had mine replaced once already in the fall and the new one is cracked already. I'm going to get it logged with my shop so it gets warranty replaced again BUT my bigger concern is that this has occured twice which means the odds are it will happen again. I could care less if it gets small cracks but the cracks fog the lite assy and that is an issue. Has anyone heard anything about Victory working this issue?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-09 9:14 PM (#31890 - in reply to #31888)
Subject: Re: Headlite replacement

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
where is the crack located. im just wondering where i should be looking! is it a big crack? Like when i bend over to pick up the keys i just dropped?
Vinner1
Posted 2009-04-10 11:39 AM (#31929 - in reply to #31888)
Subject: RE: Headlite replacement

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
Teach - 2009-04-09 8:12 PM

Just curious how many here have had the headlite replaced for the cracking issue? and had the new one crack?
I had mine replaced once already in the fall and the new one is cracked already. I'm going to get it logged with my shop so it gets warranty replaced again BUT my bigger concern is that this has occured twice which means the odds are it will happen again. I could care less if it gets small cracks but the cracks fog the lite assy and that is an issue. Has anyone heard anything about Victory working this issue?

Had mine replace right away too...second one is OK so far...but now you got me watching it!
Teach
Posted 2009-04-10 5:59 PM (#31941 - in reply to #31929)

Visionary

You guys will love this one. I went to the dealer today and had them do the usual "take pic's" and put in the work request. So while I'm waiting for the service manager to get done I jokingly say to the owner he should give me the Ness Vision I'm standing next to to resolve my headlite issue. When he asks me where it keeps cracking I point to the headlite on the Ness model and guess what, its cracked. So we look at the Ice Blue Premium on the showroom floor and yep its cracked as well. So of the 5 Visions the dealer has sold and the two 09's sitting on his floor, 6 have either had or need the headlite replaced, and mine will be getting a second replacement.
So I guess I answered my own question in that this is an ongoing issue for Victory and not just a few off bikes with a problem. The cracks are from the inside which would indicate a stress related problem with the molding process. The common cracks I noted were on the top edge of the headlite assy, just outside of the molding tabs. Mine on both occasions developed cracks from the bottom edge as well. So if your first year warranty is soon to expire you'll want to get this approved for repair before it does end as the headlite is NOT covered by the extended warranty.
raynman
Posted 2009-04-10 8:10 PM (#31949 - in reply to #31941)

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
Teach - 2009-04-10 4:59 PM

So if your first year warranty is soon to expire you'll want to get this approved for repair before it does end as the headlite is NOT covered by the extended warranty.

You gotta be kidding me??? I've known about the headlight issue, and believe it's not a matter of if, but when. It hasn't happened on mine.....yet. My 1 year warranty is up in June, but I always assumed that the headlight issue would be addressed under my extended warranty (when it becomes an issue). As much as I like my Vision, I really do hate it.
cw1115
Posted 2009-04-10 8:40 PM (#31952 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I guess that's an upside to me laying my bike down. The impact damaged the headlight assembly on the side. It was not visible with out pulling the bike apart to inspect the damage. The insurance adjuster wrote it up for replacement. I don't have the paperwork on front of me, but the part was over $400. The shop asked if I wasn't to leave the original in and knowing of this problem the answer was no without hesitation. Looks like I was starting to get a milky discoloration on the bottom seam anyway.
Mudge
Posted 2009-04-10 9:28 PM (#31959 - in reply to #31952)

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
Are you sure a cracked headlight lens is not covered by the extended warranty? I can understand the bulbs not being covered as they are a "normal wear" item, but I would think the housing, even the glass part, which cracks and admits water from an inherent defect would be covered. A known defect at that.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-10 9:52 PM (#31961 - in reply to #31959)

Visionary

Mudge, under the exclusions it says body parts, mounts, glass, lenses, windscreens etc.... Folks need to bear in mind the extended warranty is mechanical breakdown warranty.
Flatsix
Posted 2009-04-10 10:20 PM (#31962 - in reply to #31961)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

Come on you guys...$20,000+ motorcycles and nobody has a digital camera?

:-)

Teach
Posted 2009-04-10 10:36 PM (#31964 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

Flatsix, I've tried to get a pic several times to no ends. My mechanic had the same problem today. The cracks are so fine that even when you place the camera right up against the cracks nothing shows. Best I can do is tell you to look for the 3 verticle lines/tabs on the top 1/2 of the lense about 1.5 inches in from the top right corner as you look at the bike. You will see these three tabs/lines as they are a distinct part of the lense. Just inside of the third tab look for a fine hair-like crack (I can almost guarantee its there). Once you've identified this one look around the lense and you notice others along the upper and lower edge. If you look closely you'll also notice the outer 1.5 to 2" on the top of the lense are very clear. From where the crack is inward will be greyish where moisture has begun to get by.
I don't think this is a MAJOR problem but then again I don't know. If moisture gets inside the headlite assy it can become a big issue, BUT my first lite assy was changed before the leak became large enough to cause condensation issues. The new one is showing signs that moisture/condensation has gotten inside the lense even though the cracks are fewer and finer than the last time.
Flatsix
Posted 2009-04-10 10:53 PM (#31967 - in reply to #31964)

Tourer

Fargo, ND

Thanks for the detailed description Teach...I'll get a look at mine tomorrow, now that I know exactly what and where to look for!

Banjo
Posted 2009-04-11 9:09 AM (#32000 - in reply to #31888)

Tourer

Every Vision in that dealer had a cracked headlight?.............................I looked mine over real good several times.....I have over 10,000 miles...no cracks in the headlight.................#5202
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-11 11:30 AM (#32013 - in reply to #32000)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Are all the cracks in the 09 models? Maybe something was changed. I would say if that many are cracked on the show room floor, something has changed recently.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-11 7:45 PM (#32039 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

VisionTex, nope mine is an 08 and this will be the second headlite assy.
wjoel
Posted 2009-04-11 9:37 PM (#32044 - in reply to #31888)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
I checked my asembly as described above, with a flashlight. Could not see any hairline cracks.
If they are that tiny,then I doubt any moisture is getting in because there are no signs of moisture at all.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-11 10:02 PM (#32047 - in reply to #32044)

Visionary

Will, the first time my headlite was determined to be bad (service manager found it) I didn't see the cracks either. The service manager had to point them out to me (there were so many I thought it was the design pattern) but what was the real tell tale sign was that the central curved upper lip of the headlite was greyish rather than clear. This time around I noticed condensation marks inside the lense and again had to look for the cracks but again the center was greyish. I only have a few crack on top this time and a few on the lower edge as well, nothing like the first one which had hundreds of cracks.
If yours isn't cracked I'm really glad for you (seriously) you must have gotten a good one. This is more of an info type for myself and others. If it is common I'd like to have a feel for how common and for folks that might not have been aware of the lense cracking on some bikes it might save them some cash replacing it (well over $400 for the assy). The Vision DO have a number of parts that are known defective. Some folks experience an issue or their service folks address the problem without the need for an owner request. Some folks never have a problem with the defective part. For example there are a number of folks here who have NO problems with their bikes bar mounted control, but they are all defective (Victory had the part reworked and replaced by the manufacturer). If someone is NOT having a problem thats great, but if they are it is helpful to know others have knowledge of the problem here and the fix. So I don't want folks to think this is a bitch. Just feedback and info. Sorry to run on so long...... T
wjoel
Posted 2009-04-11 10:14 PM (#32050 - in reply to #31888)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Good Points! I'll double check again in the morning for this, on the lens assembly. It is great to have a forum with other Riders and to "Network", on any and everything- Bike related.
We can use it to our advantage !

Ride Safe !
08 Steel Grey #1 Color
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-12 7:37 AM (#32060 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
All of the lights I have replaced leaked from the top left corner of the lense. The bonding at that corner failed. While there may have been some ultra fine line cracks from the mold break. I have not seen them as an actual cause of the issue
Teach
Posted 2009-04-12 8:56 PM (#32122 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

Kevinx, you might be correct. Might be a bonding issue that results in the cracks rather than cracks resulting in a bonding issue. We'll have to wait and see what if anything happens from Victories end with these lite assy's or whether they just keep replacing them as they go bad. I can't imagine that at over $400 an assembly its cost effective to keep replacing them, so at some point they'll have to find the cause.
wjoel
Posted 2009-04-13 9:43 PM (#32202 - in reply to #31888)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Here is a closeup of the headlight assembly upper right, looking at the front of bike. It appears
to be without a hairline crack.
wjoel
Posted 2009-04-13 9:51 PM (#32203 - in reply to #31888)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Here is a closeup of the headlight assembly upper right, looking at the front of bike. It appears
to be without a hairline crack.

(0413091959a.jpg)

(0413091959.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 0413091959a.jpg (25KB - 0 downloads)
Attachments 0413091959.jpg (29KB - 0 downloads)
Teach
Posted 2009-04-14 6:24 PM (#32259 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

Will have a closer look. If you look at the pic's you posted upper lip has two distinct molding supports. If you look just inside the inner one about a half to three quarters of an inch in you'll see what appears to be a crack. I can't say if it is a crack or just a reflection in your pictures but thats exactly where the other lites I've seen are cracked. They'll start with just one, maybe two and then multiply rapidly to include cracking from the bottom. They are very fine cracks so you really need to angle to see them but once you know what they look like they become much easier to find.
wjoel
Posted 2009-04-14 8:12 PM (#32264 - in reply to #31888)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
I now see what you you are pointing out,but I don't see any signs of moisture entering behind the
lens. If the lens have these "stress" cracks or are flawed, all are not going to leak. As you
know, whenever there is an imperfection in any material, there are degrees or levels of the
occurrence,not everything being equal. I'll certainly keep a watchful eye on it and thanks for the
info.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-14 9:25 PM (#32280 - in reply to #31888)

Visionary

Will, I'm glad you aren't getting the moisture. This has become more of an info type post now I suppose. So if you are now seeing the crack at least you'll know what & where to watch. If you are still under warranty point it out to the dealer the next time you are in maybe even have them run the authorization but tell them you wish to wait on getting it replaced (if thats the case). They'll get the authorization and you can get it taken care of if and when you decide. Or you can just wait and see if it gets any worse. Thats the nice part of this site, sharing info. Oh the showroom bikes I noticed were cracked?? Same place as what looks like a crack on yours. Probably something really simple causing it.
Rebel
Posted 2009-04-14 11:40 PM (#32305 - in reply to #31888)

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
Checked mine out at the dealer Monday. I couldn't see any cracks, but I definitely had fogging in the upper left and right corners. Dealer is supposed to order me a new headlight.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™