You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Radio/IPod questions
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Teach
Posted 2009-04-13 1:14 PM (#32163)
Subject: Radio/IPod questions

Visionary

Ok these are probably "should know" questions but I want to double check with you guys.
First off my radio doesn't always hold my preset channel and volume after shut down and restart. It isn't all the time but often enough to be an annoyance. Normal or bad radio?
Second I am using an IPod nano 4G silver which sometimes displays the song playing and sometimes doesn't... It also sometimes lets me switch between songs and sometimes doesn't. I have noticed when it won't allow song selection the display read Aux instead of the song. I've never been able to access the IPod menu on the dash display the way the owners manual says you can. Normal or problem? IPod the right one? My wife has a first generation Nano which doesn't act any different when plugged into the bike.

Any input is appreciated, thanks....... T
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dwhite28
Posted 2009-04-13 1:58 PM (#32165 - in reply to #32163)
Subject: RE: Radio/IPod questions

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States

Sounds like you have a bad radio.  The radio should not loose your presets.  You can only access up to 11 folders that you make in your iPod.  When selecting preset (1) on the console, you acess all of the songs of the iPod. You can not access the iPod menu.

You can skip forward or back each song or ten songs at a time by double clicking the handle bar button.  You can hold down the handle bar button and fast forward or rewind the song as well.  

Rebel
Posted 2009-04-13 4:01 PM (#32172 - in reply to #32163)
Subject: Re: Radio/IPod questions

Iron Butt

Linwood, MI
I have the exact same problem with mine, Teach. Mine started out just every once in a while, too, but now it's gotten to where I can't even check my software version because as soon as I turn the bike back on the radio is on, regardless of what the setting was when I turned the bike off.

My dealer has re-flashed the radio twice to try to fix it (I just got back from having it done, in fact) and he says if it doesn't work this time they'll have to order me a radio. It works just fine sitting at the dealer right after they get done with it, but a couple hours later it's back to the same-ol' same-ol'. And the same thing has happened this time, too. Looks like I'll be calling him to order the new radio.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-13 4:45 PM (#32174 - in reply to #32172)

Visionary

Rebel, I just got back myself. I got the IPod to show/sync up with the IPod and headed for the dealer, worked fine. Got to dealer and figured it would act up, no such luck. So off for a putt and you guess it, "Aux" pops up on screen, no control of songs, etc. Pulled off and played around but it basically forced me to shut the bike off, restart and then a little more playing and up comes the menu/song titles. I noticed it went back to Aux two additional times throughout the short 75 miles. Dealers going to have another look when the headlite comes in to be replaced.
DWhite, I have zero control of anything from the console other than volume and selection of mode such as radio/wb/ipod. The preset buttons don't do a thing in ipod mode but do work for radio presets.
Vinner1
Posted 2009-04-13 6:16 PM (#32191 - in reply to #32174)

Cruiser

Hartland, , WI
Teach - 2009-04-13 3:45 PM

Rebel, I just got back myself. I got the IPod to show/sync up with the IPod and headed for the dealer, worked fine. Got to dealer and figured it would act up, no such luck. So off for a putt and you guess it, "Aux" pops up on screen, no control of songs, etc. Pulled off and played around but it basically forced me to shut the bike off, restart and then a little more playing and up comes the menu/song titles. I noticed it went back to Aux two additional times throughout the short 75 miles. Dealers going to have another look when the headlite comes in to be replaced.
DWhite, I have zero control of anything from the console other than volume and selection of mode such as radio/wb/ipod. The preset buttons don't do a thing in ipod mode but do work for radio presets.

Tim...man I'm sorry...you have a list of things too long for your ride. I have the same Nano and it works as advertised...hit the counsel buttons and go from playlist to playlist, etc. My CB works great...good reception good volume but I have speakers and a mic in the helmet and got the intercom too...everything on my bike (so far) electronic & mechanical has work as advertised.

I read about some of your woes' and others too and wonder out loud if they started doing something different to the bike on the assembly line later in the year than when the bikes were first coming out. Got mine in fall last year...should that really matter?
bikerdave48
Posted 2009-04-13 7:31 PM (#32193 - in reply to #32191)

Cruiser

New Castle Delaware
Teach I was having trouble with the ipod about 3 weeks ago. Could not change songs and presets would not change playlists and AUX showed up on dash screen. Took the cable back to the dealer and said I had heard there may have been some bad cables made. They gave me a new one and told me to try it no charge! As soon as I changed it ipod and all features worked fine, That probably won't solve your radio memory problems
Joker
Posted 2009-04-13 7:54 PM (#32195 - in reply to #32163)

Cruiser

Buford, GA United States
I have never had a problem with the radio holding onto a station but then I don't listen to the radio very often. However, my ipod does the exact same thing. Sometimes when I ride it works great but most of the time it shows AUX and I can't do anything but listen to the song that is playing. I am okay with that but then sometimes it locks down and will not play at all. Happened last week. Last year coming back from Biketoberfest it actually burned up the ipod but since it was still under warranty Apple replaced it at no charge. I have complained every time I am at the Dealer and he wants to make it right but of course it NEVER misses a beat at the dealers lot!!! I had to take the ipod back to the Apple store last weekend to get them to reset it. I am leaving in 2 weeks for Thunder Beach and I hope it works for this trip.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-13 8:43 PM (#32197 - in reply to #32195)

Visionary

Vinner, well sometimes the bike bugs all land in one spot, lol. I've had just about all of the issues that one could or has had with the Vision, some twice and some nobody else has experienced. But you know what I've learned a great deal about the bike, what makes it tick, and what things to look out for. I could bury my head in the sand and pretend its the perfect bike, but I'd rather get it fixed. On the plus side every issue has been relatively minor and would not have left me stranded. Instead almost all are cosmetic, or what I term accessory related. The other plus is the bike always starts, if it hadn't just once it would be gone. Hell I even had a member here accuse me of being a plant that just posts about broken stuff, lol, I wish, lmao. I figure if it happened to my bike, it is probably happeneing to someone elses which has held true for all the bugs my bike has gotten except the shock bushing. I suspect that one will show up on a lot of members bikes later down the road, but it isn't something you'd notice off hand. All things considered I still like my Vision a lot. Sure the IPod could work better but it seems a small matter when riding 500+ miles in a day.
bikerdave, yep I'm on my second cord already but thanks for the suggestion.
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-13 9:10 PM (#32199 - in reply to #32197)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Had the same problem with when I used the ipod, I found that putting some electrical tape around the connection to the ipod helped, I'm thinking there is some vibration there that loosens the connection. But in the long run, I got tired of fooling with it. Now have Sirus, so much better. Music, comedy, racing, weather, etc..... Try the tape, it might help.
radioteacher
Posted 2009-04-13 10:33 PM (#32207 - in reply to #32163)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
Teach,

What software version are you running in your radio? Below is the info find out. My software looks a little different on the read out then is listed below. I had my radio flashed about 5 months ago and the it improved many things. The radio soft started and the controls worked better.

I am running:
I checked the Software and Hardware versions now running on My Vision and found the following.

Radio:
SW 5.12A
HW 4

CB:
SW 5.12A
HW 6

As described by Vision Rider Spock:

You can access this info by going into the Radio System Diagnostic menu on your radio. To do this follow the instructions below.

1. Turn the ignition switch to ACC and turn the radio off (Victory Motorcycles is shown on display)
2. Turn ignition switch OFF.
3. Turn ignition switch back to ACC.
4. PRESS & HOLD the #1 preset button and MODE button while turning the radio power ON.
5. The diagnostics mode is entered. Press MODE to toggle through the diagnostic funtions. To exit diagnostics press Power button.

NOTE: A "Watchdog Error Cleared" message will occasionally appear as the first thing displayed. This can be ignored, it is an internal software notification.

6. The first screen shows the radio software (SW) & hardware (HW) revision.

7. The second screen is used to check buttons and button wiring circuts related to the radio / com. system. The display contains two lines of "Zeros". Each location corresponds to a radio button on the radio, handlebar switches, or passenger switches. A (0) represents a button not being pressed. A one (1) represents a button being pressed. If a "1" appears at an address in the upper or lower row of the radio display the button and circuit wiring are funtioning correctly.

8. The third screen shows Tuner location, which will always be set to USA.

9. The forth screen list the status of the radio amplifier.

10. The fifth screen displays vehicle speed. This can be used to test if the radio is receiving the vehicle speed CAN message from the PCM. It could also be used to test for a faulty CAN bus connection to the radio. If the speedometer is working but the radio is showing zero speed, it has no CAN connection.

11. If there are no accessories installed on the vehicle, the display will go back to the first screen. If accessories are installed, there are additional diagnostics screens for each accessory, showing the SW & HW revisions, etc.
johnedoe
Posted 2009-04-14 10:26 AM (#32234 - in reply to #32163)

Puddle Jumper

North East Oregon
I had my radio die a couple days ago.... the little woman had been listening to the radio while she was detailing the bike.... she finished and shut things down. I went out to get the bike started and ready to ride when I notice the "Victory Motorcycles" logo was not displaying...... I tried to turn the radio on, or off and nothing happened, when I shhut the bike down the back light stayed lit but nothing else would happen..... I called the dealer and they said it was a computer lock up and to just remove the fuse to the radio, did that and went for a ride all else seemed ok.... will be seeing the dealer this weekend.
Newfie
Posted 2009-04-14 8:51 PM (#32273 - in reply to #32163)
Subject: RE: Radio/IPod questions

Cruiser

Edmonton, AB
Teach - 2009-04-13 11:14 AM

...I am using an IPod nano 4G silver which sometimes displays the song playing and sometimes doesn't... It also sometimes lets me switch between songs and sometimes doesn't. I have noticed when it won't allow song selection the display read Aux instead of the song.
... My wife has a first generation Nano which doesn't act any different when plugged into the bike.

Any input is appreciated, thanks....... T

Hi Teach....When I first had my Vision I was also using a 1st gen IPOD and experienced similar problems. I determined that my problem was the connection on the IPOD was worn and there was some "wiggle" in the connection. What I found was if I held the Ipod and the connector in my hands while connected to the Vision, if I gently flexed the connection in one direction the dash would switch to AUX and I would lose the handlebar control. If I flexed it back in the other direction it would switch back to the song title in the display and I could once again use the handlebar controls. After I switched to a newer IPOD (3rd Gen - 8GB) that didn't have any "freeplay" in the connection I have been problem free and have not had any problems with the AUX on the display instead of the song title.

This may not have anything to do with your problem but there were some similarities so I thought I would pass it along. Hope it helps.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-14 9:32 PM (#32282 - in reply to #32163)

Visionary

New, thanks for the input. I had issues with the first IPod cord so I tried playing with the cord and plug, even swapped IPods just in case same sort of problem. I'm going to let the dealer play with it while its getting the new headlite installed and the left saddlebag adjusted. Hopefully its something simple.
RadioTeach, sorry bud I have no idea which download. I let the dealer do the latest one when it was in for the recall not long ago but as indicated by the ongoing problem it didn't fix it. Although radio reception is better, lol. I still have the loss of programming intermittant issue and lock out, and of course this IPod issue. It isn't anything I can't live with but I'd like o have it fixed while its in for other stuff. If this is my biggest problem, I'll live with it, lol..
Teach
Posted 2009-04-18 5:51 PM (#32538 - in reply to #32163)

Visionary

Dealer looked at it today and put in the request for a new radio. By the way the OLD radio is outdated and been superceded by a new part & part number. Now I'm curious as to how many parts have been replaced by Victory that they are not letting out until someone has a failure? I know they had a batch of bad seats like mine with missing foam, the improperly stamped oil sending unit that wasn't pulled from parts bins, the left handlebar radio control pod, and the radio. Anyone know of others?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™