You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Oil Viscosity
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

UntamedBill
Posted 2009-04-16 10:55 PM (#32438)
Subject: Vision Oil Viscosity

Puddle Jumper

Can you run 20W50 oil? Victory recomends 20w40. Also, does anybody use Mobil 1 20W50 full synthetic? Thanks!
Top of the page Bottom of the page
dwhite28
Posted 2009-04-16 11:56 PM (#32446 - in reply to #32438)
Subject: RE: Vision Oil Viscosity

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
I have already had a Vision owner change to the Amsoil 20W-50 at his 2500 mile change.  Have not heard any issues at all with the bike.  That was 6 months or so ago that he did the change.  I would have already changed to the synthetic 20W-50 but since i work at the dealership, i pretty much only pay for my oil filter.
RedRider
Posted 2009-04-17 5:55 AM (#32454 - in reply to #32446)
Subject: Re: Vision Oil Viscosity

Visionary

FYI Mobil 1 is a dino base oil. That's why WalMart sells it so cheap. You can thank a Federal judge for "defining" full synthetic for us.
buddahead
Posted 2009-04-17 5:56 AM (#32455 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

SF Bay Area
Notice the only source for "20W-40" is Polaris... very tricky indeed. They are obviously trying to force you to buy their branded product, made by Lubrication Technologies. The Vic oil is fine, but not my first choice, as I prefer an oil with an API rating. I run a motorcycle specific synthetic 20W-50, have done do for 10 years in my Vics with no problems.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-17 6:46 AM (#32456 - in reply to #32455)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Personally i would stay with a good 10w40 since w40 is what Victory calls for. If you have a very good synth oil there is no advantage to a w50 oil. actually you decrease fuel ecomony by using a thicker oil. Not alot but still. A good synth w40 oil doesnt need to be "thicker" to protect. Using a thicker oil to protect your engine just says the oil isnt that good and need to be have a thicker visocity in order to protect. And since victory has such a extreme low oil change interval this prove to be even more true.. btw about the mobil1 oil here is a link..

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lubes/PDS/NAUSENPVLMOMobil1_Motorc...
Bikertrash666
Posted 2009-04-17 7:24 AM (#32461 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Mornin All My useless $.2
The age old oil question I too used the vic oil till 3rd oil change then tried the 20/50 mobile one syn. Shifting did improve but it was a little louder in the lifter department on cold state up. So I went to the 10/40 ams oil syn and cold start up was better and shifting was even better. The only trouble is that it is a pain in the rear to get as you have to order it. Can't go to any store to buy, so I went to the local Honda dealer and after talkin to the tech's there decided to try the spectro simi syn oil 10/40 and was impressed with the good shifting and the cold start up not very noisy at all. The best part you can go to any mectric store and buy. Just my worthless opinion.
Bob
cw1115
Posted 2009-04-17 7:49 AM (#32462 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
My Yamaha v-star called for 20-40 oil too. Had to buy Yamalube if you wanted 20-40. I have 15,000 miles on my vision and have been using Mobil racing full synthetic 10-40 for the last 10K. I like it better than the Victory oil, but that's just my personal opinion. I plan on switching to Amsoil 10-40 next time around.
Teach
Posted 2009-04-17 9:12 PM (#32485 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

I've been running full syn since the second oil change. Started with the Mobil1 and didn't notice any improvement of any type over the vc oil. Still neded changed at 2500 due to noise and notchy shifting. Switched to Amsoil 20/50 which I've been running ever since. I get my oil at the same dealer and its just as cheap as buying the Vic oil. I ride in temps from the teens up into the high 90's and haven't noted any issues (13k miles).
Both 10/40 and 20/50 fall well within manufacturer guidelines so you need not concern yourself with wondering if it will void your warranty it won't. As noted here lots of preferences and lots of good synthetics. I'll add a few extra's: Honda HP, Shell Rotella, Belray all make a god syn. Just make sure there are no friction modifiers
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-17 10:41 PM (#32495 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
If Vic thought a full synth was a good fit for their bikes; they would have speced it as such. Polaris has several machines that they do spec full synth, and the maker of Vic oil is the same the makes Mobil1. So it is not like they did not not have a good full synth to choose. Personally I fix at least one clutch a month by getting those full synth oils out of the crank case.
eagle
Posted 2009-04-17 11:09 PM (#32499 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Columbus, Ga
kevinx... What type of oil do you use?
cjnoho
Posted 2009-04-18 1:50 AM (#32507 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

So Cal
Castrol makes a 20-40 semi-synthetic, I'm betting they make Victoy's also. Mobil one motorcycle oil is hard to find here, I would love to try it.
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-18 9:20 AM (#32512 - in reply to #32507)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Do's or Don't, we love our oil threads!!!!
varyder
Posted 2009-04-18 9:36 AM (#32514 - in reply to #32512)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

VisionTex - 2009-04-18 9:20 AM Do's or Don't, we love our oil threads!!!!

Woooo Hoooo! That's what I'm talkin' about.

I got to go and fix my water pump, but my waterheater is doing fine. What does that have to do with motorcycling or the Vision? EVERYTHING! I can't ride them until I get it FIXED!

Hey, when are we going to start the air thread again? I use Vision-aire in my tires!

cw1115
Posted 2009-04-18 10:38 AM (#32522 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
Is that the 78% nitrogen 21% O2 blend, or the 100% nitrogen?
Teach
Posted 2009-04-18 5:53 PM (#32539 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

I already replaced my winter air with summer air. So iffin anyone hasn't done so they should get right on it. Nothin wears a tire out faster.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-18 10:10 PM (#32546 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I filled my tires with 100% pure seafoam!! Omg i can hit about 195mph on a good day!
ez chair
Posted 2009-04-18 10:56 PM (#32548 - in reply to #32456)

Cruiser

Maine
10w40 The first number is the viscosity weight of the oil 10w. In other words the "thickness" of the oil. the second number is the film strength of the oil not the thickness. Therefore 10w40 is a 10 weight oil with the film strength equal to a 40weight oil. At no time is the oil as thick as 40 weight. 10w50 oil is no thicker than 10w40. it does though resist beakdown better.
varyder
Posted 2009-04-18 11:53 PM (#32553 - in reply to #32548)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

In they Army they taught us that we could put anything slick in there if it was critical to getting somewhere and regular oil couldn't be found.

The only thing that I've heard from a negative stand point on oil is using QuakerState in the old days when it was parafin based and then using a detergent oil. It would breakup the parafin and clog the passages which would certainly cause a problem.

I also recall a friend who had 440 police interceptor plymouth fury. He throw a rod and knocked a hole in the block one night and drove it over 50 miles home. It still started up the next day and ran. It made a racket, but it was still running. Point: just run something in your engine that is made for it. I respect the wrenches and opinions, but unless you are doing everything yourself and know expicity the habit of your customer, it is hard to say that a failure was caused specifically because of an oil that was used. It could be a number of things that contributed and then they happen to use a specific oil, bluey, there goes the engine and XBrand was the cause.

I drove my GL1200 over 300 miles or more with a blown headgasket and just kept putting water in it. When if finally went good, I rode it over 30 miles nursing it home. Ride 4 or 5 miles, stop, put in water and let it cool a little. I though the engine was history. I had the headgasket replaced and I asked the wrench how the engine looked, especially after overheating so many times, and he said it looked fine.

I could tell couple more stories, but they relate to cars, but you'd be amazed at the abuse I've put things through and they just kept right on running.

But folks, just make sure you do the right thing and your decision is not blind, but has credence. (not the clearwater revival....I went down Virginia seeking shelter from the storm...oh never mind...)

Edited by varyder 2009-04-18 11:56 PM
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-19 2:50 PM (#32591 - in reply to #32553)

Visionary

varyder - 2009-04-18 11:53 PM

I respect the wrenches and opinions, but unless you are doing everything yourself and know expicity the habit of your customer, it is hard to say that a failure was caused specifically because of an oil that was used.

If this is being addressed to me; I look at simple stuff for answers first, and it goes like this.
Customer comes in with relatively low miles, and complains of clutch slip
Conference with customer determines they recently changed to full synth oil
Change oil, and have customer ride bike for a few hundred miles.
Receive the report from customer that bike is good as new

Does not get much simpler then that. Cause, and effect are confirmed. Bike is fixed, and everyone is happy.
I do not have a beef with Amsoil. My issue is using ANY full synth oil in a Vic.

Edited by kevinx 2009-04-19 2:51 PM
varyder
Posted 2009-04-19 4:10 PM (#32598 - in reply to #32591)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Kevin I can't say I am specifically talking about you as I don't know you personally at this time. However, I know you are highly respected in the work that you do and do value any and all input. I would like to meet you and learn more of the Victory motor and V-twins in general. I know the dynamics are slightly different on a air cooled v-twin than on a 4, 6 or 8 cyclinder though the principals are the same. I'm looking at having over a 100K in just 4 years or less and want it to last on until I wear everything out. I'm not in to waiting for my bike to be in and out of the shop so I hope it will be as dependable as I believe it will be even with miles and age.

I'm not a motorcycle wrench, you are, and sometimes my comments are pointed to stir the pot for good input. In the big picture of things I find that one group will say never, never, never, never, never, use full synthetic. Then another group will swear by it saying they have zillions of miles on it with zero problem. So who is right, the group that has put on the zillion miles and no problems, or they group that had one, two, or twenty incidents out of thousand who did have a problem? It always gets confusing, thus the beloved and trusted oil thread that will sprout up, blossom, and then die away for another day.

If 99 people out of a 100 that used a full synthetic came back and said, don't use such and such, you bet it would never sell. But when 99 out of a hundred uses the full synthetic and says there bike runs better, smoother, shifts cleaner and so on, then I think there is some credence. I use a full synthetic and when I have, my bike runs quieter, shifts smoother and runs more miles before the top end starts to rattle than on the recommended brand oil.

I ride hard and long when I go out and ride and have 39K on the clock. I've used the full synthetic and the victory blend and I just know what the difference is in my bike, I can't speak for anyone else. For me, really the jury is still out as I have switched back and forth, with the full syn winning out most of the time so far.

So in response to your comment back, why does one bike experience the clutch slippage you speak of and works fine when it goes back to the recommended oil, and yet others, to include mine perform better when using the full syn?

kevinx
Posted 2009-04-19 5:03 PM (#32601 - in reply to #32598)

Visionary

varyder - 2009-04-19 4:10 PM

But when 99 out of a hundred uses the full synthetic and says there bike runs better, smoother, shifts cleaner and so on, then I think there is some credence. >

99/100 is way off even on most of the forums you will go to. At best the number would be 70/100. Many will not comment for fear of having to defend themselves for expierincing a problem that has already been costly. You will however find there are some very vocal people as well. Most of the dealer mechanics I have spoken to have similar experiences as mine, and I speak to a bunch of other mechanics during a week.
Why do some slip, and some not?? That I can not give a definitive answer to, but I will say that aggressive riders seem to make up the bulk of people with problems. Those that ride like old men have very few clutch problems.
You might also be interested to know that Barnett states emphatically that full synth will cause premature failure, and slipping of their clutches
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-19 5:04 PM (#32602 - in reply to #32598)

Visionary

varyder - 2009-04-19 4:10 PM

But when 99 out of a hundred uses the full synthetic and says there bike runs better, smoother, shifts cleaner and so on, then I think there is some credence. >

99/100 is way off even on most of the forums you will go to. At best the number would be 70/100. Many will not comment for fear of having to defend themselves for expierincing a problem that has already been costly. You will however find there are some very vocal people as well. Most of the dealer mechanics I have spoken to have similar experiences as mine, and I speak to a bunch of other mechanics during a week.
Why do some slip, and some not?? That I can not give a definitive answer to, but I will say that aggressive riders seem to make up the bulk of people with problems. Those that ride like old men have very few clutch problems.
You might also be interested to know that Barnett states emphatically that full synth will cause premature failure, and slipping of their clutches
varyder
Posted 2009-04-19 5:41 PM (#32611 - in reply to #32602)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Kevin, your reply is the first one so far to make me take serious inventory of my choice of oil. If there is a mark to put on the wall that provides a definite deviation from a favorable outcome then maybe a full synthetic is not a viable choice for me.You do bring to light though something that resonate with me and that is driving habits. That puts in a factor that may deem to be the actual cause instead of the products that are used. However, you put together both factors saying that if I use the 50/50 blend I can have agressive driving habits and get away with it longer, then if I use a full syn. If I'm not so agressive then I can use either without negative results.But then this says to be on the safe side, use the Victory 50/50 and then if things go awry then it would be easier to pinpoint and be fixed with minimal libility.I consider myself above the geezer glider type and ride moderately aggessive. I'm down and away from the crowd at most traffic lights and coming off of a on ramp I've got it going full bull from 3rd or 4th to 6th in a rapid fashion running around 4grand. To me, running this hard two or three times a day is enough to test the clutch. I have zero problems and the clutch grabs just fine.Again, your input is valued and I'm listening. I've got 5 qts of full syn ready to go in my bike but if I'm convinced, I'll go with vic50/50 and I'll be done with this and any future oil thread.

Edited by varyder 2009-04-19 5:47 PM
rlreed
Posted 2009-04-19 5:42 PM (#32613 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
All I know is I always change my own oiland I've towed a Bunkhouse popup camper thousands of miles out west, up east and thru the mountains of North Caroliner and Tennennessee and have pictures to prove it. I sole my 95 Gold wing 1500 with 124000, miles, bought a 2001 Yamaha Venture and sold it last year with 58000 miles. Both towed the Bunkhouse most of those miles. I replaced the clutch just before I sold the Venture not because it was out but for resale value... I used Mobil 1 full synthetic oil in everything I own, truck, car, motorcycles and have not had the first problem. I now use it in the Vision, 10,000 miles and no problems......
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-19 8:32 PM (#32622 - in reply to #32611)

Visionary

varyder - 2009-04-19 5:41 PM

That puts in a factor that may deem to be the actual cause instead of the products that are used.

Well thing is that it HAS to be an issue with the product because I can change the oil, and the clutch comes back with the same person riding it. Once the clutch comes back they ride just as hard as always, and have no further issue.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™