You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Oil Viscosity
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

varyder
Posted 2009-04-19 9:13 PM (#32626 - in reply to #32622)
Subject: Re: Vision Oil Viscosity

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Kevin, thanks again, I'm taking all you are saying into consideration. If, as a respected wrench has seen a definite trend in the use of a product, I respect and value your input. I need to change my oil by the end of the week and I'm set to use full synthetic, but you may have just changed my mind for good.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-19 9:45 PM (#32628 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
http://www.barnettclutches.com/service_center/faq_detail.aspx?faq_i...

there is a VERY serious difference between automotive synth oil and MOTORCYCLE synth oil!! its night and day.... If you go to mobil1 or amsoils website they will tell you the differences and Why...

i just found this on the amsoil MOTORCYCLE oil

Provides Excellent Wet Clutch Performance
AMSOIL MCF contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCF controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, helping improve clutch life. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil meets the wet clutch frictional requirements of JASO Standard T903: 2006, MA/MA2 and ISO-L-EMA2 of ISO Standard 24254:2007.

Edited by Arkainzeye 2009-04-19 10:08 PM
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-20 6:17 AM (#32642 - in reply to #32628)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Arkainzeye - 2009-04-19 9:45 PM

http://www.barnettclutches.com/service_center/faq_detail.aspx?faq_i...

there is a VERY serious difference between automotive synth oil and MOTORCYCLE synth oil!! its night and day.... If you go to mobil1 or amsoils website they will tell you the differences and Why...

i just found this on the amsoil MOTORCYCLE oil

Provides Excellent Wet Clutch Performance
AMSOIL MCF contains no friction modifiers and promotes smooth shifting and positive clutch engagement. AMSOIL MCF controls heat and prevents slippage and glazing, helping improve clutch life. AMSOIL Synthetic 10W-40 Motorcycle Oil meets the wet clutch frictional requirements of JASO Standard T903: 2006, MA/MA2 and ISO-L-EMA2 of ISO Standard 24254:2007.

Interesting that the FAQ is the exact opisite of what they tell you if you call them, and ask the tech department
varyder
Posted 2009-04-20 7:46 AM (#32650 - in reply to #32642)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

We may be on to a thread that will end all oil threads. Arky, you bring up a good point and having worked customer service, and field is irrelavent, I have found the customer will say anything to keep themselves covered. So, to follow through on in whether full synthetic is viable for a motorcycle wet clutch I would have to do my own personal independant test.

I can see this scenario playing out. Motorcycle buddy tells other motorcycle buddy that all he uses is Xbrand full synthetic oil. Other buddy thinks, well since my friend uses I'll use it. So he goes to his Xbrand oil jobber and says "give me 5 quarts of your 10-40 oil." Now, he doesn't specify, nor does he check to see that it is motorcycle oil and he carts it home, changes his oil and then blewy, his clutch is shot. Now he is perplexed and checks and finds out that he should have asked for M/C rated oil but doesn't want to be the laughing stock of his biker buddies. He makes a big tadooo over how Xbrand ruined his motorcycle and had to pay out of his own pocket to get it fixed. Then he swares that he'll never use that junk again.

We all safely assume that we are all intelligent and well versed in motorcycle stuff that we fail to convey, "make sure it is made for a motorcycle." Another case and point is that I bought some high speed antifreeze for my other bike (sorry, that just doesn't sound right when talking of motorcycles, but they are among us) and was told this is the best stuff on the market for ANYTHING. Well, that antifreeze is still sitting on the self as I went home and did extensive research and found that unless the antifreeze is made specifically for Honda and states so, do not use it. The reason? Silica. Most of your automotive antifreeze contains this, more than other, but in a honda, you cannot have it, else it will eat the waterpump bearing in no time. So, with that experience I can see where you can buy Xbrand, unaware of how specific you must be, and have a failure and thus, a myth is born.

So now I can make use of my 5 quarts of full synthetic oil with a clear conscience and thus another oil thread fades off into the archives of the forum world.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-20 8:09 AM (#32652 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
Varyder, believe me i used to be sooo obessed with oil , that i belong to oil forums like this type of forum where people on there have degree's in chemical engineering and know more about oil and chemicals than i can even begin to understand. i even went as far to have each oil change TESTED... the tests were done by blackstonelabs.com.. they will send you a free oil testing kit. then you just have to pay for the test ($22.50) i did this because of the last bike i had was a 125ci vtwin and people were changing their oil at 3000 miles NO matter what oil they were using. knowing that not all oils are the same, you cant apply the same rules,laws to them. thats like the state saying since a honda rebel can only safely do 45 mph on the freeway and it IS a motorcycles. all motorcycles MUST do 45mph on the freeway and if you are caught trying to go faster than 45 you will be fined because YOUR MOTORCYCLE can not do more than 45 mph safely, because it is a motorcycle just like a honda rebel is a motorcycle... (sorry i know kinda silly)

my tests shown that while using amsoil motorcyckle oil and changing it at 3000 miles i was wasting my money.. so i went 5000 miles and the lab tests shown all my additives were still very robust and my cleaners and visocity were almost that of the oil still being new! so then i went to 7500 miles and thats when i got rid of the bike and came to Victory.. so thats when my testin stopped. I no longer test because i reached the answers i was loloking for and i will not extend my oci (oil change intervals) on the Vision like i did on my 2053cc kawasaki. I just dont know enough about victorys engines and at the same time, its only oil. i can waste money on sooo many other silly things. why not spend it on the LIFE BLOOD of my favorite motorcycle ever! http://www.blackstone-labs.com/motorcycle.html

also along with the having the oil tested to see how much life is left to the oil, it also tells you the story of how your engine is wearing. example if you have a High silcon count in your oil. you more than likely have a dirty air filter OR a air filter that is Not properly sealed! then if you have a watercooled scooter it will tell you if you have gasket leak by detecting traces of coolant. it goes on and one. its like play detective with your engine.. and you get the FACTS about how your engine is REALLY doing... and not just how it feels and runs at that moment.. its neat if your anal like me and are curious to debunk a oil companys claim.. for me Amsoil proven themselves on ALL of my tests... and to be honest with you.. i was hoping to prove them wrong! so i can buy cheaper oil !!! lol lol bottom line if you buy a MOTORCYCLE oil that has the ratings safe for a motorcycle then you are good, you are safe because it meets the strict standards that are set forth for wet clutch motorcycles.. If amsoil was bad for a clutch my 125ci monster should have ripped the clutch apart with the torque that engine had! 8)
varyder
Posted 2009-04-20 8:27 AM (#32653 - in reply to #32652)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

sheeesh arky, now why did you go and do that? I'm going send away for my sample kit today and get mine tested.

My dad use to get his oil tested all the time as a trucker and for him it paid dividends, I think this will do the same for my bike and understanding the optimal oci.

kevinx
Posted 2009-04-20 9:26 AM (#32657 - in reply to #32653)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
All good points, but I do know that the oil was MC stuff in at least MOST of the bikes I have seen problems with. As I said I can not give a difinitive answer, but I have seen it to much. I do 2000+ miles EVERY month on my bike, and wish that I had had confidence in these full synth oils. It would save me a fortune!!! However with my hyper agressive fiding style, and the expieriance of my job. I will continue to run a blend in my bike.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-20 10:50 AM (#32664 - in reply to #32653)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
varyder - 2009-04-20 8:27 AM

sheeesh arky, now why did you go and do that? I'm going send away for my sample kit today and get mine tested.

My dad use to get his oil tested all the time as a trucker and for him it paid dividends, I think this will do the sameĀ for my bike and understanding the optimal oci.

when i had my kawasucki vulcan 2000 the oil testing saved me alot in oil changed because when i last stopped testing i was going 2.5 times the oci i was doing before the testing. and amsoil is NOT cheap... lol
varyder
Posted 2009-04-20 11:19 AM (#32671 - in reply to #32664)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Money for the most part is not a factor, wait, I'm not indepenantly wealthy or anything, but money is required for upkeep. So far the Vision has not outpriced me yet. I'm almost ready for new set of tires in about 3 months which is chunk of change as well. Everything seems to work out fine though. I'm looking for the right fit as I don't want to be changing my oil every month as that is the case if I stick to the 2,500 mile rule and the 50/50 blend. I've not tried it since I've got all the miles on it, but in the early days when I was using the 50/50 it would start clacking at or around the 2,500 mile mark. I went to AMSOIL and it seemed it could go 3k to 4k before I heard the clacking in the upper side. Right now I think I've got about 3k on the AMSOIL and all seems to be very well, so it might be a wear-in matter with 39k on the clock.

Around 30k when I had the 50/50 I actually thought it was smoking. I had just got back off my trip from Texas running 3,600 on that trip between oil changes. It was also ticking making me think I did something to it. I put back in the AMSOIL and all seems to be running well and I've not seen anything that I thought was oil smoke coming out of the exhaust. I think my last change was around 35K and I think I'm due again, I got to get out my book and check. The engine is still running quiet and all seems to be well. That is why I want to get it tested just to see what is going on. It actually feels like the bike is running stronger with the more miles on it then when it was young, but maybe that is because I'm an old geezer at 50 now also.

I've yet to change my belt so I guess I'm just a deesasster waiting to happen, but I think I'll do that when I pull the rear tire to get it changed. I find the Vision a very easy bike to maintain. One more highjack, I still need to change the fork oil being that it has 25K on it. 15K is the right interval, as I'm getting that slight dive that I despise.

Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-20 11:33 AM (#32672 - in reply to #32671)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
VARYDER, not to change the subject. but how many miles do you get on a set of tires. i only have 6400 miles on my scooter and im just wondering what i should expect.
cw1115
Posted 2009-04-20 12:26 PM (#32675 - in reply to #32672)

Visionary

Ruskin, Fl
I replaced the rear due to a flat. That was 7000 miles ago. 15,000 on the front and it still has some life in it. If I can make it to 20K on the bike, which will be 20K front and 13K rear I'll be happy and replace them both before I take a road trip up north at the end of the summer.
varyder
Posted 2009-04-20 12:51 PM (#32678 - in reply to #32672)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Arkainzeye - 2009-04-20 11:33 AM VARYDER, not to change the subject. but how many miles do you get on a set of tires. i only have 6400 miles on my scooter and im just wondering what i should expect.

E3 have been good to me and I've been bad to them. I stretched 16k on my very first one, 14k on my second, and I've to about 9k on this one and it is looking good. It may be argued that I probably should have changed my first one 14k as well as that is when I noticed it need to be changed having been at the majority of the wear bars. By the time I ordered the tire and then have it changed another month rolled by and I average about 2,500 a month. I pushed the first front to about 23,000 and it was ready to change around 21,000, which to me was a little disappointing. This front is has about 16k on it and my wife told me it is ready to change. She doesn't realized that motorcycle tires doesn't have the teeth a car tire has so it looks slick to her. But I looked at it close and I would say I've got a good 5k left on it. So It looks like it'll be two tires at one time the next go round. I keep about 41psi in both front and rear. I will note also, I took the interstate all the way to texas and back and the tire run "flat" on me, that is the tread wore in the middle since I wasn't doing the twisties as much. I think that helped the need to change at 14k.

In summary:

• 15k rear
  • 20k front
  • 40psi f/r
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-20 9:41 PM (#32717 - in reply to #32678)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Isn't it amazing how slick oil really is!!!! It just slid right out of this thread.....yea!!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-20 9:52 PM (#32718 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i brush my teeth with seafoam! dentist said i have the best teeth he has ever seen!
varyder
Posted 2009-04-20 10:28 PM (#32721 - in reply to #32717)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

VisionTex - 2009-04-20 9:41 PM Isn't it amazing how slick oil really is!!!! It just slid right out of this thread.....yea!!

Yeah, but, what kind of transmission fluid should I use? I heard thin weight is the best. It  makes no differential to me.

Edited by varyder 2009-04-20 10:31 PM
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-21 8:55 AM (#32739 - in reply to #32721)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
I know color doesnt mean much since i have my oils tested. but i was a little shock today when i checked my oil level while using the victory oil change kit.. Now i think i understand why they want there oil changes at 2500 miles. at 1900 miles the oil looks like black paint! color usually means its doing its job of cleaning. i have had a few oil changes on my vision so far and i never seen my oil this dark before.. and in only 1900 miles! I almost want to change it now just because of how it looks. lol btw when i say black. im not talking dark brown. i mean BLACK.. a drop of it fell on my floor,. and it looked like a drop of touch up paint. 8)
Big Al
Posted 2009-04-21 10:16 AM (#32765 - in reply to #32438)
Subject: RE: Vision Oil Viscosity

Cruiser

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
Has anyone had good results from a standard or blend oil that helps with notchy shifting and noise level? I have used the Castrol syntec in my kingpin with good results, but KevinX's experience makes me wonder?
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-21 10:31 AM (#32766 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
is syntec a motorcycle oil? i think there is a reason why the standard NON synth oil doesnt provide a great shifting... you get what you pay for.
varyder
Posted 2009-04-21 11:20 AM (#32769 - in reply to #32766)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

wonder how many are lurking trying to decide exactly what to do next? Should it be 50/50, full synthectic, which brand, is it made for a motorcycle, will I blow my clutch, suck a valve, throw a rod. You know, that stuff happens everyday, so beware of what you do and what you use.

For the most part, riders that I know really pay attention to everything, to a fault. Those that don't often suffer failure one way or another. I know we all live and learn, but riding a motorcycle requires you to pay attention to everything. Our lives literally depend on the machine we ride and when we ALLOW failure because we do not pay attention to the least little detail, then it can cost us, not only in money but in life.

So to the ones who are trying to figure all this stuff out, please stick to the Victory 50/50, let your dealer do the service, on time, everytime, and do your checks before and after you ride. The season is starting up now and the bikes are out like mayflies, I'm just wondering if all of us will make it through the season to look back with great and fond memories.

varyder
Posted 2009-04-21 11:21 AM (#32770 - in reply to #32766)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

great post ^^^^^^^^

Edited by varyder 2009-04-21 11:26 AM
varyder
Posted 2009-04-21 11:21 AM (#32771 - in reply to #32766)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

ditto

Edited by varyder 2009-04-21 11:27 AM
varyder
Posted 2009-04-21 11:22 AM (#32772 - in reply to #32766)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

DOUBLE POST. Well, let's make use of it:

Did you hear about the biker who....?

Never mind.......

Take a safety course too, at least every two years or more. Some I see out there I recommend every six months....

Edited by varyder 2009-04-21 11:24 AM
VisionTex
Posted 2009-04-21 12:08 PM (#32776 - in reply to #32772)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
There you go again "VA", your slipping away on the thread. I gotta tell you this oil stuff is really slippery!!!
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-21 9:09 PM (#32843 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
im not waiting till 2500 miles on this vic oil. i have 1900 and this coming weekend its gone! its dark as dark can be and only 600 miles from the oil change interval. and since it is Only a Semi-Synth i dont feel bad about dumping it a little early
rlreed
Posted 2009-04-22 10:52 AM (#32883 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
My thought is, I look at my Vision, obviously cheap paint, cheap chrome with the tipovers corroding and the lugage rack peeling, not to mention the radio that hardly works. Everything done on this premium priced bike is done on the cheap side. Now what would make me think they didn't do the same thing when they went out looking for oil to sell under their name???? I'll stick to the oil companies that do the research.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™