You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision Oil Viscosity
[Frozen]

Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
Frozen    Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-22 6:27 PM (#32909 - in reply to #32438)
Subject: Re: Vision Oil Viscosity

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
rlreed, im with you... I buy oil from OIL companys. I made the mistake by trying the victory oil because it was local.. NO More amsoil for example makes oils and other chemicals. thats their life blood. they rely on their rep to keep their business a float.. they cant afford to make a cheaper product and put it in a fancy package. i read an article years ago where honda was using mobil to make their oil. so people instantly thought it MUST BE mobil1 in the honda containers.. NOPE... mobil made the oil but it wasnt mobil1.. lol alot of times these companies choose whoever has the lowest bid. You cant remember think they use the Very Best oil Out there! then they label it semi synth.. right there that tells you its not the best you can get...
Top of the page Bottom of the page
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-22 8:46 PM (#32915 - in reply to #32909)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Arkainzeye - 2009-04-22 6:27 PM

rlreed, im with you... I buy oil from OIL companys. I made the mistake by trying the victory oil because it was local.. NO More amsoil for example makes oils and other chemicals. thats their life blood. they rely on their rep to keep their business a float.. they cant afford to make a cheaper product and put it in a fancy package. i read an article years ago where honda was using mobil to make their oil. so people instantly thought it MUST BE mobil1 in the honda containers.. NOPE... mobil made the oil but it wasnt mobil1.. lol alot of times these companies choose whoever has the lowest bid. You cant remember think they use the Very Best oil Out there! then they label it semi synth.. right there that tells you its not the best you can get...

Polaris industries, and Lube Tech have been working together in development, and engineering for 30+ years, and it is not a low bidder thing. You don't think that Polaris is at least as worried as Amsoil about their rep?? I have said it before, and I'll say it again. IF VIC HAD THOUGHT THAT FULL SYNTH WAS WHAT WOULD WORK BEST. THEY WOULD HAVE SPECIFIED IT, AND MADE MORE MONEY FROM IT. Meanwhile I'll let you girls play engineer on amateur night. Don't worry though. When some of you experience clutch issues[and some will]. I'll be glad to welcome you back to the fold. This subject just kills me. People that have never in their life changed oil; buy a bike, and suddenly are engineers.
Sorry for the rant, but I have been doing this stuff for 25+ years as a pro, and I know what I am talking about. I do not get paid a percentage by big Vic, but I run their oil because from everything I have seen; it is superior in this application. Funny that pretty much all the mechanics on the forums feel as I do, and say the same things. As for the others that have learned from being to smart for their own good. Most are afraid to say anything for fear of being dog piled by the amsoil cheer leaders. So they have learned to keep their mouth shut.
Guess this is why I usually stay out of oil threads
zo6vette
Posted 2009-04-23 5:44 AM (#32933 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Saratoga NY area

So, who has the best bottled water? Which brand is better? LOLOLOL
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-23 6:19 AM (#32934 - in reply to #32915)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
you know what i need to do.. use a fresh virgin sample and send it out to the lab and see what is exactly in this oil compared to like Amsoil, redline etc. then we will have the facts of whats in the.. zinc levels how much of a w40 their oil is along with at what flash point does their oil start to "burn off" thats the only way we will know for sure.... Doesnt cost much to have it tested..

Now opinion wise, semi-synth in most cases are barely any better than regular dino oil.

one of the great misconception i hear every day is the work Synthetic means itis more slippery. that has NOTHING at all to do with the word synthetic... there is a ton of other reasons to use synth oil. Hell just the shear fact alone of the base stock is not Crude oil. cleaner, more controlled bonding of the molecules and the list just goes on and on and on.. and as someone else on here posted now almost anyone can label an oil synth if it has anything to do with being man made. So if thats the case then semi-synth is even worse! (not saying vic oil) but just in general.

So even if the amsoil is not more slippery, (which it is NOT) there is the facts of burn off, which creates sludge or at the very least deposites, then there is the cold starts and how the oil flows when cold.

i know for a fact im not alone on this one. but i noticed with the victory 20w40 oil my cold starts are the noisest ever! i thoguht there was something wrong with my engine... i hate to start my engine with victory 20w40 semi synth.. i feel bad for the noise. when i had the amsoil and would start it at colder temps i never had that noise. others on here mentioned the same exact thing... that alone is a reason not to use a brand of oil. but that just my opinion..
varyder
Posted 2009-04-23 7:26 AM (#32935 - in reply to #32934)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

The oil thread goes on.

I like these in a way because it really makes a person sit back and wonder. I take the credibility of any wrench in the business for any length of time, and I take the credibility of time. There has only ever in my life time that I've headed the words on not using a particular product; one is slick50 and two, the old parafin based quakerstate. My dad had trouble when he was using slick50 in his pickup truck and in his rig, and I know first hand the trouble parafin quakerstate oil caused when switching to a detergent based oil.

Never in my life have I come first hand to a person that has used AMSOIL for the application, this case motorcycles or any other motorcycle type oil that had a failure. In fact, as we can see here, many folk say they have used X-brand, Amsoil, Vic, Tech, etc, with no problems. Now, I wouldn't go to QuickyStop and get QuickyStop motorcycle oil for my bike, but I would use any reputable oil off the self made for a motorcycle if I was in a pinch. Deciding to use AMSOIL took a little time to give into as I know and frequenty associate with some jobbers. I've read, took a long hard thought to it and said, Ok. When I first got the bike, I said, no thank you. After talking with my dealer and tech they told me they had plenty of customers that use AMSOIL and have not known any to have a problem using it. They gave the humma, humma about Vic oil was made for it and if something went wrong, Polaris might hassle me over the use of AMSOIL but it was an acceptable oil to use.

So, in the big scheme of things, and in respect to everyone here, the jury is still way out on this one. If Kevin was my regular wrench I would heed to his very words and never put another drop of AMSOIL in there. I think there are forces at work that the full story is not revealed when a failure occurs. It is an all too familiar story when something breaks due to human fault, the first reaction is "I didn't do anything to cause this, it must be the fault of what I was using." That is to itself human nature, "not my fault..."

The bottom line, in things mechnical anything can be a cause of another, and things like oils can compound the issue as well. We also can do something that can cause X problem by using something, even unintential or expecting good results that didn't pan out. So on the reputation, I believe what a tech would say, Kevin since you are speaking up, I know that what you say is based off the facts of your experience, no doubting there. You even give way to acknowledging that Barnett clutch says that any JASO oil is acceptable, and that you do not know why one fails and another doesn't, citing driving habits.

When looking at it from whole view point, I find no real evidence that a full synthetic motorcycle oil from a reputable brand name will harm our vics. Now, if you are racer, ect, perhaps a different application is required, to include a better clutch material. So there are other dynamics that have to be applied and all has to be considered when making assesments. I feel I ride aggressive, but to what? You and I Kevin, may ride together one day, and I hope you'll do my cams when I'm ready, but when we ride you might think I ride sissy. So, in that, AMSOIL would work fine for me the life of the bike and for you, could cause early clutch failure, and both be documented. Vic oil may be superior in that application and can be respected

Edited by varyder 2009-04-23 7:33 AM
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-23 9:31 AM (#32936 - in reply to #32934)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2009-04-23 6:19 AM

i know for a fact im not alone on this one. but i noticed with the victory 20w40 oil my cold starts are the noisest ever! i thoguht there was something wrong with my engine... i hate to start my engine with victory 20w40 semi synth.. i feel bad for the noise. when i had the amsoil and would start it at colder temps i never had that noise. others on here mentioned the same exact thing... that alone is a reason not to use a brand of oil. but that just my opinion..

Without actual testing it is a presumption that the bike is quieter on start ups. I personally have never noted it, and I start bikes with everything from straight dino Rottella to Royal purple. they all sound the same to me.
I'm am certainly not so niave to think that synth is more slipery, but I am smart enough to understand that they do have smaller moecules, and different permimation charicteristics. Both of these can effect an oils ability to work with a friction material. As I say to all these engineers all the time. You can go to all the web sites you wish, and glean from them all the info you feel is relavent. I'll stick with what I see with my own eyes.
Customer comes in with slipping clutch
Change oil to an oil designed for the bike
Clutch quits slipping
Not a whole lot of variables there, and not a lot that the customer could do to influance the outcome
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-23 2:31 PM (#32953 - in reply to #32936)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
thats one my points.. if ur going to use synth oil it better be a motorcycle synth oil and not a automotive synth oil..

speaking of slipping clutches wasnt there a guy on here that had a clutch go in 1200 miles? what oil was he using? i dont know. im just asking.

also how many people do we personal know that do something bad to their bike or car thats under warannty and then claim they never did anything wrong in hopes it is covered! i know people that added products like slick50 to their wet clutch! i bet if the dealer asked them they would never admit it.. ive seen where people put that stp oil treatment in their motorcycle oil.. thats ton of zinc! but i bet if their clutch went the tech at the shop wouldnt hear the truth!

also speaking of noises on startup. ive even seen this talked about on the speed channel. so it cant just be handful of people thinking it does this.

and as u said before the synth u claimed is thinner. well that right there would be the decrease for the noise.. faster flowing ln cold dry startup..

also starting hundreds of bike in the south in a temp controlled building compared to a unheated garage up nprth during a cold winter/spring morning. is apples to oranges in my humble opinion. one is a controlled enviroment another is real world test. there is a serious difference starting a bike with 20w40 vic oil on a 30f day vs. 10w40 amsoil full synth. the first 2 numbers of the oil alone tell the story...
ez chair
Posted 2009-04-23 5:26 PM (#32959 - in reply to #32438)
Subject: RE: Vision Oil Viscosity

Cruiser

Maine
been reading all the oil posts. Boy this is a hot topic! Saw that some think that 20w40 oil is 40 viscosity. Well its NOT its 20 viscosity. the second number is the multi viscossity oil's film strength. it resists compression breakdown equal to a 40 w viscosity oil. At no time does the oil thicken to 40w. Take oil at room temp and heat it to 140 and guess what its thinner and flows easier. Does anyone think it thickens to equal 40w at the same temp. Chemical additives are placed in the oil to resist breakdown under heat and pressure. 20w40 vs 20w50 which oil resists breakdown better at high temp and pressure? 20w50. I have used 20w50 Ams and Mob 1 and both are quieter than Vic in the bike. I assume there are additives in these that are not in Vic oil. both oils exceed Vic's spec. Maybe not needed, but I like the quiet opperation.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2009-04-23 5:37 PM (#32961 - in reply to #32959)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
i never said the visocity was a 20. i was using 20 to refer to the cold temp flowing of the oil as that is what the number is used for. that is why there is 0w30,5w30 & 10w30 the lower number before the w refers to cold temps and how the oil flows. speaking of the chemicals that makes the oil resist breaking down. i seen on the oil forums where some oils shears to the next weight down in as short a 1000 miles. i have also seen oils Thicken! Thats why people do they oil testing to find the truth. also NO w40 is the same..... 40 weight oil is not all the same visocity. there is a chart with a wide gap. example. mobil1 is known for this one, their motorcycle 10w40 is Barely a w40... is on the low side of "range" of w40 whereas the mobil1 20w50 motorcycle oil is on the thicker side of teh w50 chart. amsoils 10w40 in on the thicker side of the 40 range. im using alot of slang here to not comfuse people.. i agree with you i like quiet operations also. especially on a cold start!! cold starts using this vic oil sounds like straight abuse! I hate starting it when the temps are low. thats why this week the vic oil is gone with 1900 miles of use on it. and amsoil MOTORCYCLE oil is going in! my vic service manager uses amsoil in his vic... they are trying to sell it at their shop.. i cant wait.
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-23 7:38 PM (#32967 - in reply to #32953)

Visionary

Arkainzeye - 2009-04-23 2:31 PM

thats one my points.. if ur going to use synth oil it better be a motorcycle synth oil and not a automotive synth oil.....

DUH

speaking of slipping clutches wasnt there a guy on here that had a clutch go in 1200 miles? what oil was he using? i dont know. im just asking.

also how many people do we personal know that do something bad to their bike or car thats under warannty and then claim they never did anything wrong in hopes it is covered! i know people that added products like slick50 to their wet clutch! i bet if the dealer asked them they would never admit it.. ive seen where people put that stp oil treatment in their motorcycle oil.. thats ton of zinc! but i bet if their clutch went the tech at the shop wouldnt hear the truth!...

I'm a major cynic, but even I do not think they are all lieing

also speaking of noises on startup. ive even seen this talked about on the speed channel. so it cant just be handful of people thinking it does this....

They are called info-mecrcials, and they are trying to sell you something

and as u said before the synth u claimed is thinner. well that right there would be the decrease for the noise.. faster flowing ln cold dry startup.....

I never said anything about thinner, and it is retention, not faster flow that keeps lifters quiet

also starting hundreds of bike in the south in a temp controlled building compared to a unheated garage up nprth during a cold winter/spring morning. is apples to oranges in my humble opinion. one is a controlled enviroment another is real world test. there is a serious difference starting a bike with 20w40 vic oil on a 30f day vs. 10w40 amsoil full synth. the first 2 numbers of the oil alone tell the story...

You might want to look at the weather reports for where I live before you make a blanket statement like that. I rode to work for most of a month in the low 20s, and high teens. It don't get much more real world then that.
Member No. 1
Posted 2009-04-23 7:50 PM (#32969 - in reply to #32967)

Cruiser

Under the Rule of Jedi - Masshole
And in this corner weighting in at 20/50 is Full Synthetic! His challenger weighting in at 10/40 is Mr. Half&Half!

Come on guys, no one is gonna win this battle. Let's all just sit back, relax, grab a beer, and agree to disagree.

kevinx
Posted 2009-04-23 8:32 PM (#32973 - in reply to #32969)

Visionary

Member No. 1 - 2009-04-23 7:50 PM

And in this corner weighting in at 20/50 is Full Synthetic! His challenger weighting in at 10/40 is Mr. Half&Half!

Come on guys, no one is gonna win this battle. Let's all just sit back, relax, grab a beer, and agree to disagree.

*LOL* It's 20W40, and I don't think it is 50\50
Teach
Posted 2009-04-23 8:59 PM (#32976 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

KevinX my problem with your argument is you are asserting because Vcitory chose to go with a semi synthetic that it is because it performed best in all scenario's. That is not the case and that isn't coming from me, that came from Victory. They tested with a variety of brands, types and decided upon the Victory semi/syn for a number of reasons related to their tests. This is no different than when Harley came out with their labeled oil. It is what the motor company decided to run from the factory, that doesn't make it the only or even the BEST option. If a clutch is going out at 12k it isn't oil unless it is inappropriate oil not designed to be run in a wet clutch, or extended FAR beyond recommendations. What was your FINDINGS on these bad clutches? Burnt fibers? Spun plates? spring measurement? I'm curious.

Bottom line guys is I would trust Lloyds without hesitation. He has a artlicle on servicing posted here, read it.
dwhite28
Posted 2009-04-23 11:06 PM (#32982 - in reply to #32438)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
 Oil weight, or viscosity, refers to how thick or thin the oil is. The temperature requirements set for oil by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) is 0 degrees F (low) and 210 degrees F (high).  Oils meeting the SAE's low temperature requirements have a "W" after the viscosity rating (example: 10W), and oils that meet the high ratings have no letter (example SAE 30). An oil is rated for viscosity by heating it to a specified temperature, and then allowing it to flow out of a specifically sized hole. Its viscosity rating is determined by the length of time it takes to flow out of the hole. If it flows quickly, it gets a low rating. If it flows slowly, it gets a high rating. 

Engines need oil that is thin enough for cold starts, and thick enough when the engine is hot. Since oil gets thinner when heated, and thicker when cooled, most of us use what are called multi-grade, or multi-viscosity oils. These oils meet SAE specifications for the low temperature requirements of a light oil and the high temperature requirements of a heavy oil. You will hear them referred to as multi-viscosity, all-season and all-weather oils.  An example is a 10W-30 which is commonly found in stores.  When choosing oil, always follow the manufacturer's recommendation.

The above can be found with any simple search for SAE standards. I had to post the above paragraph so people would quit typing "W40"  There is no such thing.  We have "Multi-Grade" oils to handle broad riding ranges.  When the oil hits that 210 degree F range, it starts to act like a thicker oil.  I run the 20W-40 Vic oil only cause i work at the dealership and i change oil every 2,500 miles.  If i was going to try and extend my oil changes, then i would probably use some other type of quality 20W-50 oil like i have in my previous bikes.  Resisting wear and proper lubrication for fuel economy and proper transfer of heat is what the mfg is going for.  Thicker oils dont transfer heat as readily but will keep things quiet.  This is the reason on vehicles with seperate transmissions you will find SAE 85 and SAE 90 oils used.  They resist shearing due to the high pressure betweent he gear teeth and help reduce gear noise.  I know everyone will run the oil they feel comfortable with.  I usually run the OEM spec stuff tilll i am comfortable with the vehicle and then i may start to experiment.  I know the dealer i work for will and can order Amsoil if the customer wants it.  I have also changed Visions and other Vics over to Amsoil and there is no problem i have run across so far in the last 1 1/2 years.

kevinx
Posted 2009-04-24 6:14 AM (#32989 - in reply to #32976)

Visionary

Teach - 2009-04-23 8:59 PM

What was your FINDINGS on these bad clutches? Burnt fibers? Spun plates? spring measurement? I'm curious.

My findings were that if I changes the oil back to Vic; the slipping went away, and did not come back. Pretty strong evidence to me

As to Vic blended oil not being the "best" is EVERY situation. You may be right, but it is the BEST in MOST situations.
varyder
Posted 2009-04-24 7:47 AM (#32990 - in reply to #32989)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

the mainstay of motorcycle forums, oil threads....

let's pull the plug and let this one drain out....

grunt, plob, glug, glug, glug, glug.... maaaannnn where's my plug.....?

outdoordave48
Posted 2009-04-24 7:52 AM (#32991 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Eau Claire WIS. 09 vision
don't you think vic is also in it for profit they charge 8.50 per qt. when most other blends are around 4.50 and syn is 8.50 if they maintained the same profit margin for recomeing syn it would be 12.00 a qt.how many would be willing to pay that every 2500 miles... of course they recomend their oil they like the income from sales like every one else my explorer recomends useing only motorcraft oil but i dont use it i feel their are better oils for that price.. i'm going to use amsoil because i get syn. for the price of vics blend also dont think the filter is worth 12.00 when other quailty filters run 8.00 let the games continue....lol dave
outdoordave48
Posted 2009-04-24 7:54 AM (#32992 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Eau Claire WIS. 09 vision
you started draining before i could finish typing i call foul now, you can drain.....
dwhite28
Posted 2009-04-24 10:09 AM (#32997 - in reply to #32438)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
Last drip in the oil pan.

I have to admit this has been a rather informative oil thread compared to some i have read and followed in the past on other sites.
radioteacher
Posted 2009-04-24 2:11 PM (#33006 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I feel the time is right for me to chime in on this subject and would like to commend everyone for efforts in education.

First, I do not have any expertise in oil nor anything to add.
Second, this would be a good point to freeze this thread.
Third, any new oil threads should be redirected to this post for review.

Ride Safe!
Big Al
Posted 2009-04-24 4:05 PM (#33015 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Hot Springs Village, Arkansas
I really think this was just a ploy to boost everyone's post count. But as RT said, enough already, can't we just get along!
Teach
Posted 2009-04-24 4:44 PM (#33018 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

KevinX, so all you did was change oil? Wow! You didn't inspect the plates, fibers, check spring spec's for a REPORTED WARRANTY claim of a slipping clutch? All I can say is wow........ RT agreed bud this need not go any further
zo6vette
Posted 2009-04-24 6:00 PM (#33022 - in reply to #32438)

Cruiser

Saratoga NY area
This is a serious question.........
What country does Walmart store their oil tankers in? Does walmart have their oil riggers where outfits with smiley faces??
kevinx
Posted 2009-04-24 8:40 PM (#33032 - in reply to #33018)

Visionary

Teach - 2009-04-24 4:44 PM

KevinX, so all you did was change oil? Wow! You didn't inspect the plates, fibers, check spring spec's for a REPORTED WARRANTY claim of a slipping clutch? All I can say is wow........ RT agreed bud this need not go any further

HHHHMMMMMM since when does any manufacturer warranty a WEAR ITEM???? I guess you would rather I spend the customers money doing a pointless inspection. So let's just do a little reality check here. Just for you
Lets see now labor for the clutch tear down $200, Beaded gasket set $60, oil change kit $60. Well we just spent $320, and you know what?? I'd be pretty much willing to bet that at the most I would see some glazed fibers.

Now as the customer you would be left to make a decision....
Change the fibers, and sand down the steels....$375 in parts
Change the fibers, and steels.....$600 in parts
Install clutch assy......$700 in parts
Install Barnett clutch kit $350 in parts
Put it all back together with the oil I recommended in the first place

BTW like I said up front; this would all be on YOUR DIME. Cheapest way out for somebody that thinks they are to smart for there own good is $670 parts, and labor. After you wasted all that money would you still be all excited about running the full synth?? I'm going to guess based on your posts that you would blame the bike, and not yourself, or the oil.

By doing the oil change which BTW fix' s the problem I just saved the customer $600. Still think my way is a bad idea, or that I am any less of a mechanic for opting for a reasonable, and proven solution?? I bet you would be like the rest; just happy to have your bike back without spending a bunch of unnecessary cash

Oh yea I'm still waiting to hear the minimum shear point of a front door latch plate on a passenger vehicle used in the USA
Teach
Posted 2009-04-25 10:44 AM (#33061 - in reply to #32438)

Visionary

KevinX, First of all you are pretty thin skinned and defensive for someone who has NOT had their credentials called into play. With that said manufacturers DO warranty clutch components if it is determined that a factory part resulted in the failure of the "wear" item. I've had wear items replaced by EVERY manufacturer of every brand bike I have ever owned (thats most metric and most American).Hence my question as to what you found upon inspection. IF as you have STATED you have done SEVERAL clutch slipping repairs on Visions, I would think it would become a concern worthy of further investigation. If appropriate oil is being use (and Amsoil does meet Victories requirements)and there is no suggestion of abuse on the owners part, there are FEW things that could cause a slipping clutch besides an inadequate part in the clutch assembly itself. Have you reported these slipping clutches to Victory for approval to investigate? You are of course AWARE that Victory had KNOWN tranny issues with early model bikes (98-00)? Would it not make sense to investigate this further and/or get approval from Victory to investigated?
If as you state changing oil fixed the issue Victory makes the ONLY wet clutch bike on the planet that experiences clutch slippage with a full synthetic oil. I find it hard to believe molecular sheer is that sensative in ONLY Victories. It is far more likely that a component is weak, or the owner doesn't utilize the clutch appropriately than it is that the oil is causing the issue.
Oh and you didn't save the customer anything in the way of $$$, you simply prolonged a defective clutch until such time as Victory can place the fault on miles traveled. At which time it WILL cost the owner $$$. You may as well have added a couple teaspoons of Marvel Mystery Oil and sent them packing.
By the way this isn't aimed at you as an insult. This is a problem that appears to be common place. Bike shops don't fix bikes they bandaide them. I haven't figured out if its the manufacturer behind this or the bike shops themselves, but I do know which way I'm leaning. I would gladly pay to have my bike FIXED.
Jump to page : 1 2 3 4
Now viewing page 3 [25 messages per page]
Frozen
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™