You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Fuel cap
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

IndyBill
Posted 2009-04-27 6:50 AM (#33197)
Subject: Fuel cap

Puddle Jumper

Just wondering if anyone has had a problem with the fuel cap? Mine always has a gas smell after I fill up. Yesterday though after I filled gas was going everywhere when I took off. I stopped and pulled off the gas cap and then could not get it back on. It was like it did not fit the opening. I finally got it back on after some cussing and then it seems to be back as usual.

Of course I was with a bunch of Harleys and all I could hear about was "plastic junk".

Bill
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Posted 2009-04-27 7:25 AM (#33201 - in reply to #33197)
Subject: Re: Fuel cap

Tourer

Mine always smells after fueling.
Stopped by a buddies yesterday after gettting gas and when he sat on my bike for a few minutes,
it started leaking fuel. I opened the fule door and saw a puddle of fuel.
A dealer in Florida told me Victory was going to recall the gas caps because they do not seat well.
He said it had something to do with the hard gasket on the cap.
Going to see my dealer today and ask about it.
rlreed
Posted 2009-04-27 8:29 AM (#33205 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
The factory actually replaced my whole gas tank. If you look at the top ridge of the neck you could see where it wasn't formed right causing the cap to leak when full.
raynman
Posted 2009-04-27 8:38 AM (#33207 - in reply to #33197)
Subject: RE: Fuel cap

Puddle Jumper

Kewaskum, WI
My Vision was leaking at the gas cap after fill-up. Replaced the cap, same issue. Ended up replacing the tank under warranty.
Travelin Man
Posted 2009-04-27 10:01 AM (#33210 - in reply to #33197)

Iron Butt

Ditto on the tank replacement.

From what my dealer told me Victory got in a bad batch of right side gas tanks where the filler neck was dented preventing a good seal with the gas cap after a period of time due to the rubber seal getting worn or taking a set. Just go to your dealer and they will check it out, since this is a important safety concern Victory is being very forgiving in replacing bad tanks under warranty.
Bikertrash666
Posted 2009-04-28 12:46 PM (#33335 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

Howdy All. I also have been going thru the gas smell but it is all solved now. First of all Don't leave the gas nozzle in the tank resting on the side of the filler neck. Seems the neck metal is so soft that it bends on the one side and that is what makes the cap not seal. MoCo
fix is a new cap with a gasket that seals around the outside of the filler neck. Also a warning sticker telling you not to do what I just said.
So being the skeptic that I am I went and filled it with as much fuel as I could get into it and low and behold no more gas smells.
The bottom line see your dealers they all got the replacement caps.
Bob
varyder
Posted 2009-04-28 1:11 PM (#33337 - in reply to #33335)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Hmmmm, I guess that explains why mine hasn't had the problem, maybe. serial #3114 and all works fine. I don't rest or put pressure naturally as the nozzle is a pretty good lever against other metal. I can say I've learned my lesson off other experience relative to that to not let the knozzle hang in the tank. My eyes NEVER leave the filler hole even for a second unless I stop the knozzle. I wouldn't expect it to be that soft, but it wouldn't take much.

Thanks BT666

Posted 2009-04-28 1:43 PM (#33338 - in reply to #33197)

Tourer

Took mine to my dealer yesterday.
Looked at the top of the tank.
Seems like the filler neck had a slight bend in it. On the side closest to the middle, not from filling. Bent it up smooth.
Also took his cap from his bike, much different looking gasket.
Will see how it works out.
radioteacher
Posted 2009-04-28 2:24 PM (#33343 - in reply to #33197)

Visionary

San Antonio, TX
I also have never rested a nozzle in the tank. I will touch the tank to kill any static that could build up. Then I hold the nozzle with two hands and put a foot on the floorboard to rock the Vision when filling.

The last half gallon takes a minute or two but that is just God's way to help teach me patients.

I have never had the gas smell that others speak of.

RIde Safe
rlreed
Posted 2009-04-28 3:17 PM (#33346 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

Tavares, Fl
Funny, I've had at least 12 Gold Wings since '77, A Kawasaki Nomad, Two Harleys and a Yamaha Venture before buying this Vision and never have I had a problem bending the gas tank. The dealer accused me of bending the tank neck and I had a heck of an argument before they finally got it replaced under warranty. THey also replaced the radio but it still doesn't work, embarrasing riding with the Harleys and Wingers, them listening to their radios and mine doesn't pick up.........Needless to say my first Victory experience certainly has not been a good one, in fact when I get home I'm putting this one up for sale. I've never been real fond of Harleys but since the Goldwings are going to be built in Japan now I'm looking at an Ultra......
sonicbluerider
Posted 2009-04-28 8:22 PM (#33368 - in reply to #33197)

Tourer

, IA
good bye
Posted 2009-04-28 9:32 PM (#33379 - in reply to #33197)

Tourer

Find a new dealer, minor issues that should not be this big. The bike is too good to let these issues make you jump the fence.
Joe H
Posted 2009-04-29 6:48 AM (#33394 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

Eyota, MN
Most bike gas tanks are steel, the ones on the vision are aluminum so a guy should be careful anyway. Haven't had any problem with mine. (Knock on wood!)
rmclarty
Posted 2009-04-29 9:21 AM (#33399 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

Sugar Land, TX (Outside of Houston)
Radio? What is a Radio? Isn't that what an IPod is for? My fellow riders get to listen to my taste in tunes with no Radio Commercials at all. With an IPod and the J&M Speaker Upgrade, there is no reason in the world to listen to the Radio. Mine may even work - I have never tried.

That said - I have not had any of the problems (other than the mis-aligned saddle bag) with my 08. I would never own another bike. I want to ride in comfort, listen to my IPod and watch Harley Riders strain their neck to look at my Vision as I pass by.
slowryder
Posted 2009-04-29 11:12 AM (#33403 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

L.I., N.Y.
Most of the gas stations up here have vapor recovery boots on them, so you are usually pulling the pain in the butt boot back to fill your tank so the nozzle never leaves your hands. I use to spend 2 minutes filling and 10 minutes rocking, but after reading a few other riders suggesting slow fill, it works, half the time filling, more time riding. And I agree find a dealer that works with you, instead of against you, if it's feasible.
Posted 2009-04-29 8:18 PM (#33446 - in reply to #33197)

Tourer

Went to my dealer today, my bikes not leaking since we traded gas caps, but now his is.
Pretty simple fix.
exharleyrider
Posted 2009-04-30 8:49 PM (#33525 - in reply to #33197)

Cruiser

just went through this. first gas smell. then gas leak. then ordered a new tank. then victory wouldn't let them install the new tank. then they put on a new cap. no more gas leak but i still smell gas. we'll see if this one goes bad. i never let the nozzle rest in the tank either.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™