You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Help request
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Teach
Posted 2009-08-19 8:22 PM (#42021)
Subject: Help request

Visionary

I emailed super brace a couple months back about a brace for the Vision. If you've ridden GW's you are probably familiar with this company and the product. Needless to say heavy bikes like the GW and Vision have a great deal of fork flex (whether you notice or not) and this brace does a great job of eliminating it.
Well they don't currently make one for the Vision and they don't plan for builds until the riding season is all but over. So now that summer is coming to an end they will be reviewing which bikes to make them for and which to not make. You might have guessed I'd really like to see one for the Vision.
So if you have a spare moment to go to this link http://www.superbrace.com/press.html
and contact them with an inquiry, and enough folks do it they will likely offer one before spring. Thanks for your help in advance...... T
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Trekwolf164
Posted 2009-08-20 9:49 AM (#42047 - in reply to #42021)
Subject: Re: Help request

Iron Butt

New York State
I asked if they will produce one for the Vision
Mfoster
Posted 2009-08-20 10:01 AM (#42048 - in reply to #42021)

Cruiser

+1. Email sent.
clubford00
Posted 2009-08-20 10:04 AM (#42049 - in reply to #42021)

Tourer

Buffalo Grove,Ill
+ 1 email sent
varyder
Posted 2009-08-20 10:23 AM (#42051 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
hmmm, is there a dummy in the crowd? yes, you, the man from Virginia.

uh, yes, I've been riding for a very few years and I've never heard of this this fork flex thing, whether i've noticed it or not. i know i have a heavy, ah, bike and hinder end but i cannot see the benefit in such a device. uh, what kind of deviation are we talking about in such a study material in a short span. sure i've read the testimonially and take to heart the words of advise from my fellow riders, but i've not heard or seen anyone say that they wreck, broke, or otherwise was out of wack without this device. nor have i had anyone come up to me a say, you got to have this thing, it is something they forgot to do at the factory and i have to clunk down more change to add this to my bike.

with that said, i can see racers, dirt, track, etc who really put a beating on their machine in adverse conditions, but for a solid road touring bike that even at best on a twistie is not even near the pounding a race or dirt bike endures any great length of time, do i really need this thing?

sorry for the tone but it is like telling me that i need the water injection system from the '70's to save on fuel because the manufacturers are in cahoots with the oil company to get you to spend more money... not skeptical on this thing, just uneducated, please explain more....
trailbarge
Posted 2009-08-20 11:03 AM (#42054 - in reply to #42051)

Tourer

Goldsboro, NC
varyder - 2009-08-20 11:23 AM
.. not skeptical on this thing, just uneducated, please explain more....

This is the first I've heard of the device as well. However, as an engineer I can see how the thing might be useful. Someone please tell me if I'm wrong on this.

Under braking (especially if you hit a bump/pothole while under braking), the forks will deflect back towards the frame. Draw a diagram and you will see it. This puts a lot of stress on the telescoping joints and it also counteracts the trail that gives the bike its stability.

Under heavy braking, that trail can turn your front wheel into a caster, which is much less stable and can put unwanted steering input into a system you are trying to keep steady. Some sort of truss on the back side of the forks might stiffen the forks in bending and reduce this tendency.
Probie
Posted 2009-08-20 11:31 AM (#42055 - in reply to #42021)

Cruiser

guelph ontario
I have had a fork brace on my GW a few years ago. Didnt notice any difference. I think unless you ride hard with load and over bumpy terrain that you probably dont need one. So far have not noticed any front end flex on the Vision.
kevinx
Posted 2009-08-20 12:38 PM (#42057 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Had a long talk with a Vic engineer about fork braces a while ago[years]. Basically he said the reason that Vic speced such a fat axle on the bikes was that it worked to tie the forks together as well as a fork brace.

Edited by kevinx 2009-08-20 12:38 PM
varyder
Posted 2009-08-20 1:02 PM (#42059 - in reply to #42055)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Probie - 2009-08-20 12:31 PM

I have had a fork brace on my GW a few years ago. Didnt notice any difference. I think unless you ride hard with load and over bumpy terrain that you probably dont need one. So far have not noticed any front end flex on the Vision.

That's what i see as well. I've stretched my mind to find a sensible application on the vision but i just don't see it being that flimsy to warrant it. i do see the effect is similar to taping your fingers together to strengthen them, so the principle is understood. I can also understand that in the scheme of things, any flex relative would never be felt no matter how extreme. It has been pointed out, the axle is thick, eliminating any give as depicted in the exaggerated animation.
Trekwolf164
Posted 2009-08-20 1:09 PM (#42060 - in reply to #42059)

Iron Butt

New York State
Good Morning and thanks for your interest. Yes, we are looking for a Victory Vision with stock front suspension to work with. Are in the Southern CA/ Huntington Beach area and interested in a freebie for stopping by a couple times for quick measurements? We're here Monday through Saturday 7am -5pm. If you can't make those times, I'm sure we can arrange something else. If you aren't, do you know anybody that is?

We do also carry some other Victory Vision accessories through our other company, American Motorcycle Accessories: http://www.americanmotorcycleaccessories.com/products.asp?cat=78.  

Safe Riding,

SuperBrace - the Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

www.superbrace.com

ElroyJ
Posted 2009-08-20 1:12 PM (#42061 - in reply to #42057)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
kevinx - 2009-08-20 10:38 AM

Had a long talk with a Vic engineer about fork braces a while ago[years]. Basically he said the reason that Vic speced such a fat axle on the bikes was that it worked to tie the forks together as well as a fork brace.

So, if you had this discussion, how does this relate to you asking us to have them built? If I understand correctly, the forks are as good as without braces. Did I miss something? I am sure we'll have more discussion about this while you are in Denver this weekend. But I thought I would ask here for all parties to get the bigger picture.

Here is my concern. When I drop off of a curb (residential without a pan), I find that the trunk adds enough weight to cause my bike to flex at the triple tree. I can even make this happen while sitting still and moving the handle bars back and forth. IOW I feel the front moving one way while the back is moving another. This is different than what you are discussing here...but THIS is what I would rather have corrected than the forks (AT THIS TIME).
varyder
Posted 2009-08-20 1:19 PM (#42062 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
the handle bars are rubber mounted and i can move them. i check when i go down the road some time just see if i can find play in the front. i know, this ain't a good way to do and the only way to be sure is to jack up the front and check. is this what you are feeling or is it distinctly the triple tree? at 50,000 i'm checking for wear points and what needs to be replaced.

on the discussion of forks, i'm wonder if the 8-ball forks are also shorter \8/
ElroyJ
Posted 2009-08-20 1:30 PM (#42063 - in reply to #42062)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
varyder - 2009-08-20 11:19 AM

the handle bars are rubber mounted and i can move them. i check when i go down the road some time just see if i can find play in the front. i know, this ain't a good way to do and the only way to be sure is to jack up the front and check. is this what you are feeling or is it distinctly the triple tree? at 50,000 i'm checking for wear points and what needs to be replaced.

on the discussion of forks, i'm wonder if the 8-ball forks are also shorter \8/

I believe they only pushed them up the triple tree about an inch to get the difference. This is what Arlen does with his Vision. He pushed the tubes up into the tree about 1 inch or so.
Miles
Posted 2009-08-20 1:55 PM (#42064 - in reply to #42021)

Tourer

Mount Vernon, WA United States
While I can see this on many bikes, I'm not sure the Vision isn't already designed to not need this. A good place to look is when there is a Dyno at an event. Ever notice they don't even need to tie down the back of a Victory it's so stable. If you look at the front end of some non-Victory bikes on a Dyno, it'll downright scare ya the way the forks bend back at different points as the throttle is applied. The most a Vic does is compress the shocks.
varyder
Posted 2009-08-20 2:25 PM (#42065 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
i've lived such a sheltered life. I need to get out more and see these stuff...
devilboy
Posted 2009-08-20 2:25 PM (#42066 - in reply to #42021)

Cruiser

Central Florida
response this am from Super-Brace, anyone able to take them up on this??
Good Morning and thanks for your interest. Yes, we are looking for a Victory Vision with stock front suspension to work with. Are in the Southern CA/ Huntington Beach area and interested in a freebie for stopping by a couple times for quick measurements? We're here Monday through Saturday 7am -5pm. If you can't make those times, I'm sure we can arrange something else. If you aren't, do you know anybody that is?

We do also carry some other Victory Vision accessories through our other company, American Motorcycle Accessories: http://www.americanmotorcycleaccessories.com/products.asp?cat=78.

Safe Riding,

SuperBrace - the Ultimate Fork Stabilizer

www.superbrace.com
varyder
Posted 2009-08-20 3:11 PM (#42070 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
They're not american, most of their support is for ricers. the only "accessory" i see is the link they gave you db - flag poles for flat rack.

money i can use for something else.

ride safe...
kevinx
Posted 2009-08-20 3:55 PM (#42075 - in reply to #42061)

Visionary

ElroyJ - 2009-08-20 1:12 PM

kevinx - 2009-08-20 10:38 AM

So, if you had this discussion, how does this relate to you asking us to have them built? If I understand correctly, the forks are as good as without braces. Did I miss something? I am sure we'll have more discussion about this while you are in Denver this weekend. But I thought I would ask here for all parties to get the bigger picture.

Here is my concern. When I drop off of a curb (residential without a pan), I find that the trunk adds enough weight to cause my bike to flex at the triple tree. I can even make this happen while sitting still and moving the handle bars back and forth. IOW I feel the front moving one way while the back is moving another. This is different than what you are discussing here...but THIS is what I would rather have corrected than the forks (AT THIS TIME).

The only thing a fork brace does is to keep the lower tubes travelling paralell, and at the same rate as each other. That way one side does not go up while the other stays down. A fork brace does not keep the tubes from flexing fore, and aft
Teach
Posted 2009-08-25 1:59 PM (#42376 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

Kevinx, that last post is exactly right. It ALSO prevents the forks from flexing or perhaps a better word would be "twisting" when taking very tight turns with the bike leaned well over. This takes stress off the sliders and bushings, working in conjuntion with the axle.
Let me clear this up; I am NOT advocating or PROMOTING the use of this product. I've used it on GW's in the past and liked the improvements I found with this product installed. All I asked is that folks drop a quick email if they have time inquiring as to the availability of this product for the Vision. This might entice (it appears it has) Superbrace to manufacture one for the Vision. I believe ANYONE who decides to install one will feel the benefit immediately. However if all you do is ride interstate and straight roads, you don't need it.
I sure hope someone out in the Huntington Beach area can hook up with these folks to get a free brace for the hassle of allowing them to get a few measurements.
Teach
Posted 2009-08-25 2:04 PM (#42377 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

Varyder, I wanted to specifically address your comments. You said you don't believe you are getting any flex and don't see a benefit to this product, to abbreviate what you stated. I would be willing to bet when you lean into a corner you hear the brake rotors rub.... Thats flex causing that. Hope that provides a real example of what we're talking about.

Edited by Teach 2009-08-25 2:05 PM
varyder
Posted 2009-08-25 2:08 PM (#42378 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
I'll have to go out on the twisties to try this out, my pleasure. What I have heard is the whine from the E3s but I can't place rotors rubbing, not saying that it doesn't, but I'm might be sissying out before they do...

Edited by varyder 2009-08-25 2:09 PM
Teach
Posted 2009-08-25 2:28 PM (#42380 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

va, you should be able to hear it without getting very aggressive. Mine does it on almost every curve in the road, has sice new and all the Visions in the local club have noticed the same rubbing. Hope this explanation gives you a better idea of what fork flex is. I wasn'ttrying to single you out but rather provide you with a tangible model. Let me know what you hear....... Ride safe...... T
kevinx
Posted 2009-08-25 3:30 PM (#42384 - in reply to #42377)

Visionary

Teach - 2009-08-25 2:04 PM

Varyder, I wanted to specifically address your comments. You said you don't believe you are getting any flex and don't see a benefit to this product, to abbreviate what you stated. I would be willing to bet when you lean into a corner you hear the brake rotors rub.... Thats flex causing that. Hope that provides a real example of what we're talking about.

Not a chance that you are getting enough flex against the lower tube in that situation to twist the calipers into conacting the rotors. The size of the tube, and the proximity to the structural axle make it impossible. This is not a GW with 14mm axle. It is a Vision with a 22mm axle. A fork brace is not going to do you much good if any at all. All that being said I have installed, and used brace's in many of my past bikes, but with a Vic it is pointless
Teach
Posted 2009-08-25 8:34 PM (#42399 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

kevinx, I'm not going to debate this with you and again let me remind you I am NOT trying to sell anyone on fork braces. You said there is not a chance I'm getting enough flex on the forks to twist the calipers against the rotor. Thats fine if thats what you believe. I on the other hand KNOW what is rubbing and when. Ask your clients if they have heard a rubbing sound when they lean the bike into a curve.
A brace might not be the answer, but at this point I am committed to give it a go if superbrace offers one up. I figure if it worked on my other bikes, it might just do the trick on this one as well. Can't hurt a thing to give it a go.
Now what I don't get is all the "ANTI" or "its pointless" commentary. If it is pointless folks will realize this rather quickly and word will be opposed to the use. If pointless superbrace wouldn't be considering a brace for the Vision. If it works, well we all have another option to improve performance and handling.
If it is pointless from your perspective by all means don't add one. My reasons for the request have been stated, do or don't as you see fit.
kevinx
Posted 2009-08-25 9:12 PM (#42404 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

*LOL* I'm not anti fork brace, but in this application I do feel it is pointless.
This is not a spindly front end. It uses 43mm tubes, and solid 22mm axle. In 00-01 Vic used a fork brace on the SC, and it was kinda flimsy in the mounting area. I asked an engineer about it, and he commented that the brace was for appearance only. The thick walled tubes, and large diameter axle made the brace unnecessary. I ran braces on several old Hondas, and a couple of HD's including a 82FXR, and it made a huge difference. Just don't see it here. I
Now I have never even hinted that you were going to profit on this, and if you did I would applaud your efforts. The only reason I have even commented here is to temper conjecture with reality
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™