You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Help request
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

varyder
Posted 2009-08-25 9:13 PM (#42405 - in reply to #42021)
Subject: Re: Help request

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA

Edited by varyder 2009-08-25 9:41 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Lotzafun
Posted 2009-08-25 9:29 PM (#42411 - in reply to #42021)

Iron Butt

Rockford, IL
I'm going to jump in on this and make a subtle suggestion to KevinX....

First...I give ya props and respect and such for your knowledge and wisdom about bikes and the massive amount of information you share with the whole Vic community. I don't think you have an idea how valuable you are to everyone in it !!!

But...I think you might be slightly off-base on your opinions with this Superbrace. It really does sound like you are going with your gut instinct and not giving them a chance, and I can't blame you for doing so, the "gut-instinct method" is usally pretty damn good and works well for most folks.

But...It also sounds like you can probably benefit with doing some in-depth research on Superbrace and the ins-outs/pro-cons of how they work and such. To be honest I haven't done this research, however I'm going to order one as soon as they are made available. I've run them on two bikes in the past and they have made a fairly dramatic improvement and have been well worth the investment of money and the labor. Prior to purchasing them I did do a little bit of research and got the basic understanding of how they work and such, and I read the reviews and talked to a few folks on a few forums.

kevinx
Posted 2009-08-25 9:45 PM (#42413 - in reply to #42411)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
I guess people keep missing the part where I say I HAVE used them on bikes that THAT NEEDED THEM; with positive results. Funny thing is that I have spent a good deal of time on the other side of this conversation, but that was with front ends that were structuraly deficiant to the forks on a Vision. Had a CB750 that was AWFUL with flex issues. Go across a painted stripe, and it would steer the bike. Put a brace on, and it was a different animal. Trying to convince my friends though was like beating my head against the wall. I'm not trying to argue, or operating on gut. Hell I had no intention of doing anything other then making a factual comment based on my expieriance, and what I was told by a Victory engineer
Teach
Posted 2009-08-25 10:11 PM (#42418 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

kevinx, sorry if you felt the "anti" comment was directed at you, it wasn't. It was intended to be a general comment. And I agree you bring a wealth of information and expertise to this site. With this said what the Victory engineers spec out is fine, but it has fallen short at least from my saddle. If you asked the engineers of the twin towers if they could fall they would have told you no way, but they did.
The forks on my Vision flex at least as much as those on my 96 Wing. My hope is that the brace will eliminate some of the squirming on road hazard and when leaned over. If it doesn't' work I'm out a few hundred bucks but otherwise unharmed.
I appreciate your input and experience with regards to this topic, the fact you have discussed this with the engineers. I believe they are mistaken and the Vision will benefit from a brace. The only way to know is to try one once they are offered and that's all I'm proposing "I" do.
Lol, funny that something this simple could become so controversial. My sincere apology if I offended you Kevin. I am a bit abrupt with posts which can result in them being misinterpreted. I'm going to ban myself from typing soon, lol... Be safe my friend....... T
donetracey
Posted 2009-08-25 11:05 PM (#42426 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

Pitt Meadows, BC Canada
WALLOWING. This is the word that comes to my mind when I thing of fork brace - I owned several bikes that 'wallowed' in turns, and the installation of a fork brace solved the problem - dramatically.
But my Vision 'IN NO WAY' wallows - so I personally see no need for one - the bike handles like it should. "If it ain't broke - don't fix it".
JustBob
Posted 2009-08-25 11:38 PM (#42432 - in reply to #42021)

Cruiser

Extreme Southern, AZ United States
Mine doesn't rub in the turns. Granted it is brand new, but I get nothing like you mention Teach.
wroman
Posted 2009-08-26 12:37 AM (#42435 - in reply to #42021)

Tourer

Gettysburg, 2008 Tour Premium
I ran a Superbrace on y GL1800 and the differeence was very noticable. I am not inclined to run one on m y vision for the simple reason the bike is the best handling and most stable cornering big tour rig I have owned. I percive no bump steer in corners. My vision handles better without a Superbrace than my GL1800 did with a Superbrace..............so the Superbrace is a solution to a problem that doen not exist in my opinion. Have to go with Kevin on this one.
varyder
Posted 2009-08-26 5:06 AM (#42436 - in reply to #42435)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
kevinx
Posted 2009-08-26 6:09 AM (#42439 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

Gainesville Fl Home of the Gators
Teach,
Never meant to offend, nor have I been offended. We just seem to butt heads in spite of out intent. Carry on, and I will bow out of this topic
Teach
Posted 2009-08-26 10:24 AM (#42463 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

Kevinx, yep I suppose we do, lol... Tell you what..... I buy the first rond of coffee's when I get down your way. I'm going to back away from this one as well and just wait to see what comes of the brace manufacturing. Be safe.... T
varyder
Posted 2009-08-26 9:02 PM (#42517 - in reply to #42463)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
TXVision
Posted 2009-10-04 9:18 AM (#45206 - in reply to #42021)

Puddle Jumper

Fort Worth
I rode a Fat Boy for a few years before upgrading to a Kingpin. One of the things I liked best about the Kingpin was the stability in the twisties, which I attributed (at least in part) to the inverted front forks. As an engineer I really like the inverted fork design because of its inherant rigidity. I was dissappointed when I found out Victory did not use the inverted fork design on the Vision. Maybe its my imagination, but I don't believe my Vision is quite as solid in the twisties as my Kingpin. As soon as the fork brace is available I'm going to put it on my Vision. Anything that reduces frame flex and fork twist is a good idea in my book.

And by the way, the 2010 Vision Cross Roads has inverted forks. I wonder if our Visions have conventional forks because the larger triple trees of the inverted design don't fit between the fuel tanks as well(?)
Teach
Posted 2009-10-04 10:57 AM (#45218 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

TXV, yep the inverted would have removed a great deal of flex. The problem with the desciption of flex is that it implies a front o back or sideways twist. While those could occur it is really more of a bowing effect as the springs compress. So yes it ties the two forks together in conjunction with the axle but it also prevents the forks bowing out as they compress.
For the record I didn't initially feel the forks warranted a brace, but after 20+k of riding her I will definitely be installing one. I'll also be installing stiffer/progressive fork springs and likely adding preload. The forks are a weak link and I'm not that aggressive. Need proof? Look at the accidents Vision riders have experienced so far; Low side tip overs, and high speed wobble. I won't even mention the skating when behind big vehicles. May or may not be entirely fork related but I'll let you know when I get the front end stable.
Mongo
Posted 2009-11-30 2:11 PM (#48810 - in reply to #42384)

Cruiser

Newnan, GA

Kevin

I just sold My Goldwing (with a Traxxion Suspension and a Kuryakyn Fork brace). The front suspension sucked and the Goldwing forks tubes were so flimsy that you could torque the bars right and left (HARD) in rapid concession and see the front wheel/Fender Assy begin to lag the direction that you were pushing the bars. That’s one reason why I added the fork brace.

I have been searching the threads to find the answer to my question (Does the Vision need a Fork Brace?) that you have provided. 

Thanks
Kevin - 2009-08-25 3:30 PM This is not a GW with 14mm axle. It is a Vision with a 22mm axle. A fork brace is not going to do you much good if any at all. All that being said I have installed, and used brace's in many of my past bikes, but with a Vic it is pointless
TimS
Posted 2009-11-30 2:41 PM (#48812 - in reply to #42021)
Subject: RE: Help request

Iron Butt

Nice animation for the textually challenged. 

http://www.superbrace.com/simulation.html

I always buy the magazines for the articles =).

Edited by TimS 2009-11-30 2:44 PM
Gray rider
Posted 2009-12-03 7:16 PM (#49042 - in reply to #42021)

Tourer

Tucson, AZ
Look, I'm no engineer, or do I play one on tv, but I've owned three Honda 1500 GW. Had a Super Braces on two of them. I didn't find a difference whether the brace was on or not.
Tarpits99
Posted 2010-04-10 2:41 PM (#57173 - in reply to #42021)

Iron Butt

North Orange County CA
I stopped by Superbrace this morning so that they could measure my Vision for a possible installation.

Any academic discussion about whether or not the bike will benefit from a fork brace may be irrelevant. There is so little clearance between the fork lowers , the gas tanks and inner fairing when the bars are at full lock that it does not appear to be feasible to build a Superbrace style fork-brace for this bike.

They took some measurements, I'll let you know if there are any further developments.
glighto11
Posted 2010-04-10 6:39 PM (#57184 - in reply to #42021)

Iron Butt

Central New York
Lets just encase the front third of the bike in concrete. No flex, no break, no bounce, and no wallow.
varyder
Posted 2010-04-10 10:05 PM (#57199 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
thanks for the suggestion glighto11, while I have my Vision down replacing the front steering bearing I'll get me some Sacrete and brace it up. lOl
Mcpapadoc
Posted 2014-11-09 12:52 AM (#168622 - in reply to #42021)

New user

if you ever question I need for a brace on a Victory Vision, you just need to ask yourself why do the front fenders crack on the 2008 Victory Vision.
johnnyvision
Posted 2014-11-09 6:20 PM (#168633 - in reply to #168622)

Visionary

Mcpapadoc - 2014-11-09 12:52 AM if you ever question I need for a brace on a Victory Vision, you just need to ask yourself why do the front fenders crack on the 2008 Victory Vision.

Its not do to front end flexing am sure of that

johnnyvision
Posted 2014-11-09 6:25 PM (#168634 - in reply to #42021)

Visionary

who know maybe next year we will have the same forks as a cc it would cut Vic coast
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™