You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

FYI: Brake Pads
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision Tech Q&AMessage format

Mudge
Posted 2008-01-18 7:59 PM (#4410)
Subject: FYI: Brake Pads

Tourer

20 miles west of Chicago.
A few days ago I e-mailed Lyndall Racing Brakes (LRB) inquiring if they have or will have pads that will fit the Nissin brakes on the Vision. Reply below.

Thank you for your interest in our products. Our part number 7229 Gold Plus
will fit your bike. You can order direct using our customer service hotline
listed below.

Sincerely,

Arianna Orner
CFO, General Manager
Lyndall Racing Brakes, LLC
www.lyndallracingbrakes.com
(714) 241-9991
(800) 400-9490
FAX (714) 241-9993

TAKE YOUR BREAK IN OUR NEW FORUM: THE BRAKE ROOM
http://www.lyndallracingbrakes.com/brake-room/index.php

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Mudge
Posted 2008-01-21 1:37 PM (#4518 - in reply to #4410)
Subject: RE: FYI: Brake Pads

Tourer

I E-mailed LRB again, since the front a rear brake pads are obviously different on the Vision, pointing this out. Received the following prompt reply. For any who might be considering rerplacements down the road.

Sorry for the confusion. You are right. The 7229 is for the front and 7141 for the rear. We do have both available, just not listed on our website for purchase, so you need to call to order. They are both only available in our Gold Plus compound which retails for $59.

Sincerely,

Arianna Orner
CFO, General Manager
Lyndall Racing Brakes, LLC
www.lyndallracingbrakes.com
(714) 241-9991
(800) 400-9490
FAX (714) 241-9993

VictoryLee
Posted 2008-01-23 6:05 PM (#4572 - in reply to #4410)
Subject: Re: FYI: Brake Pads

New user

Phoenix, AZ
I just put on a set front and rear took less then a hour.

They work great, the stopping distance is much better and you don't have that soft mushy feeling at the front break.

I talked to Paul Kittrell over there, great people.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-01-23 10:53 PM (#4577 - in reply to #4572)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
VictoryLee - 2008-01-23 5:05 PM

I just put on a set front and rear took less then a hour.

They work great, the stopping distance is much better and you don't have that soft mushy feeling at the front break.

I talked to Paul Kittrell over there, great people.

VictoryLee, thanks for the info on the new brake pads, gald you found an alternative to the Victory pad. Keep us posted on the future use of these pads. I too have felt that the feeling of the fronts on the Vision are not as robust as the fronts on my Kingpin. I'm not speaking of stopping distance, because both stop well. So I have questions.
How can a pad change what is described as a soft mushy feeling? I can understand they may stop better, but the distance between the piston and the rotor where the pad sits has not changed, so the compression of the hydralics is the same, unless they are a thicker pad, and that maybe possible.
There has been comments about the mushy feeling of the fronts on the Vision from us here. I've been reading back on the reviews that were written about the Visions late last summer and most reviewers were favorable with the brakes, does anyone remember or know about a review that mentioned mushy brakes? I know we are the experts when it comes to miles on the Vision, I'm beginning to believe most reviewers just BS, remember the mag that reported chapped inner thighs.
I have a question to all of you, if I adjust the brake level from a 1 to a 5 does anyone think that would produce a mushy feeling? At the 1 setting you have more travel, more squeeze, can we compress the hydralic more, with the 5 much less travel, does that feel mushy? This is the first time I've had an adjustable brake lever. I've had mine set on 5 due to it was much easier for my grip, but does that affect the feel of the brake. Thanks for your input.
mike s
Posted 2008-01-24 2:00 PM (#4584 - in reply to #4410)

Cruiser

Valdosta, GA
I found that adjusting the front brake lever to the farthest setting I can comfortably grab works best. Yes, it does change the feel of the brakes.
pollolittle
Posted 2008-01-25 7:50 AM (#4603 - in reply to #4410)

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I don't think changing the distance of the brake handle in or out will vary the amount of pressure put to your brake. All you are doing is changing a relative location to what is comfortable for the rider, hence adjustable. I would put it where you are most comfortable, that is what it is for. I am sure it changes the feel it is based on where you LIKE to pull the brake handle in at.
VictoryLee
Posted 2008-01-25 4:47 PM (#4617 - in reply to #4410)

New user

Phoenix, AZ
VisionTex,

I don't disagree with you that changing the pads shouldn't change that mushy feeling, but all I did was bleed the brake line and found no air in the system and replace the pads.

I'm thinking that the makeup of the pads effect heat dissipation and that may be the change in the fade or mushy feeling that we are experiencing.

Any thoughts?
Travelin Man
Posted 2008-01-25 6:35 PM (#4620 - in reply to #4410)

Iron Butt

Guys (and gals), I have what I think is good news as far as options regarding brake pad choices and costs. I have taken a much closer look at the brake calipers (made by Nissin) on the Vision and low and behold they are the IDENTICAL brake calipers as used on 2002-2004 Honda VTX 1800C models. The linked system on the Vision is also identical to that used on the 1800 VTX, so, if you are shopping the web for deals on brake pads, check out www.hondadirectline.com and get to the VTX1800 C model page then click on the brakes link and you will see choices for pads, chrome trim and such forth at guaranteed best prices.

That said, since the front calipers on the Vision and the Honda VTX1800 are the same, check out www.gatewayextreme.com to do a chrome exchange or just to get your calipers chromed. The owner of the business goes by the nickname Handler and he can also do the chroming of the forks as well, just disassemble the forks from the triple trees, bag them up and send them to him, he will do all the necessary dirty work of taking them apart, chroming the sliders, reinstalling everything (great time to upgrade to Progressive fork springs if necessary), fill them with the proper fork oil and return them to you. I've used his service on many of the parts for my VTX 1800 (he does a great job on the brake and clutch reservoirs).
VisionTex
Posted 2008-01-25 6:45 PM (#4621 - in reply to #4617)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
VictoryLee, thanks for your comments back on this subject. Tonight when I got home I did an uncalibrated experiment on brake lever travel. With my trusty Lufkin tap measure I measure 3 different levels on the brake lever adjustment as far a I could compress, still thinking this has something to do with the "Mushy Feel". I measured from the center of the grip to the little ball on the end of the lever at rest and fully compressed.......as hard as I could pull it in.

Level 1 At rest - 4.75" Compressed - 2.75" = 2" of total travel
Level 3 At rest - 4.5" Compressed - 2.25" = 2.25" of total travel
Level 5 At rest - 4" Compressed - 1.5 " = 2.5" of total travel

In my opinion with the extra .5" of travel from level 1 to 5 gives us a "Mushy Feel" on the front brakes. With the level 5 setting the lever comes very close to the grip when fully compressed. I hope to do some riding this weekend and I'm going to adjust my brake lever to several different settings to see if I can feel the difference.

Any thoughts from other folks, take care, and have a great weekend. Sorry "SnowBirds", I know, I used to live there.
Mudge
Posted 2008-01-26 12:23 PM (#4632 - in reply to #4620)

Tourer

From what Travelin' Man has posted; I believe the EBC part number (For the front brakes only.) would be FA261HH. The rear, again, is different and I can't venture a guess at the part number. I've e-mailed EBC asking but no response so far. The VTX1800C appears to use the same pads for the front and rear.
visionman
Posted 2008-01-26 1:49 PM (#4633 - in reply to #4410)

Puddle Jumper

If you have a mushy feel to your brakes it beause you have air in the system or something else is giveing like a caliper bracket or brake lines are swelling or any numerous other things. It's simple hydralics liquid doesn't compress or give, air and other mechanical devices do.My vision front brakes aren't mushy they feel just like my 8-ball did.But in my 15 years of experience as a mechanic 99% of the time it's air in the lines that make a brake system feel mushy. And just because you can't see it when you bleed the system doesn't mean it's not there. I would bleed the brakes. Just my 2 cents.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-01-26 3:21 PM (#4635 - in reply to #4633)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
visionman - 2008-01-26 12:49 PM

My vision front brakes aren't mushy they feel just like my 8-ball did.

Visionman, which setting do you have the lever set?
visionman
Posted 2008-01-26 3:24 PM (#4636 - in reply to #4410)

Puddle Jumper

setting #3
VisionTex
Posted 2008-01-26 5:01 PM (#4637 - in reply to #4636)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Visionman, thanks, that's what I'm going to set mine on now to see if there is a difference from the #5 in the feel.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-02-01 6:24 PM (#4793 - in reply to #4621)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
VisionTex - 2008-01-25 5:45 PM

In my opinion with the extra .5" of travel from level 1 to 5 gives us a "Mushy Feel" on the front brakes. With the level 5 setting the lever comes very close to the grip when fully compressed. I hope to do some riding this weekend and I'm going to adjust my brake lever to several different settings to see if I can feel the difference.

Last Sunday I rode about 300 miles and had the brake lever set at #3. In my opinion, there is less "Mushy Feel" on the front brakes.
Big Vic
Posted 2008-02-03 11:28 AM (#4858 - in reply to #4410)

Iron Butt

Southeast Iowa
After reading this I moved mine to #3. Right, wrong, or indifferent I agree that the brake feels better on #3 than it did on #5.
Tennessee Vision
Posted 2013-12-23 7:16 PM (#149939 - in reply to #4410)
Subject: RE: FYI: Brake Pads

Cruiser

Spring Hill, Tennessee
Just checked Lyndall's site on pads. See below from there site on part numbers for the Vision. Different than earlier mentioned in this thread:

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments image.jpg (59KB - 3 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™