You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Vision PIAA Auxiliary Light Kit – Review
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

TimS
Posted 2008-02-07 7:17 PM (#5036)
Subject: Vision PIAA Auxiliary Light Kit – Review

Iron Butt

I have the PIAA Axillary Light Kit installed on my Vision.

When I tried them out at night, I was disappointed by the yellowish low-light output. They did not add any noticeable additional light to the existing center HID driving light.

After doing some investigation, I discovered that replacement bulbs for the PIAA 1100 X PLATINUM lights fit the Victory PIAA housing and put out much more light. It looks like the Victory kit was made from the PIAA 1100 X kit, but used a different base to attach to the fender bolts and a lower 35 watt bulb.

http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/Lamp-pages/1100x.html

If you are looking for driving lights, I would NOT recommend the 35 watt set offered by Victory because they are a NO OP unless you place brighter bulbs in them.  If you replace the bulbs, you will drop another $70 bucks.  Victory should just offer their package with these bulbs as stock.

Please not that the bulb is epoxied into the lens of this light set. When you replace the bulb, you replace the bulb, lens and cover at once.

Just my 2 cents.

HTH,

Tim

Edited by TimS 2008-02-07 7:24 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
badnvegas
Posted 2008-02-07 9:12 PM (#5039 - in reply to #5036)
Subject: Re: Vision PIAA Auxiliary Light Kit – Review

Cruiser

Colorado
yep I got photos on a Vision from the work shop but I can't see a way to added them to this thread.
varyder
Posted 2008-02-07 9:29 PM (#5042 - in reply to #5036)
Subject: RE: Vision PIAA Auxiliary Light Kit – Review

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Thanks for this comment, it has saved me many dollars as this was to be my next addition. I'll live on with the HID and great headlight.
VisionTex
Posted 2008-02-07 9:58 PM (#5044 - in reply to #5039)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
badnvegas - 2008-02-07 8:12 PM

yep I got photos on a Vision from the work shop but I can't see a way to added them to this thread.

Here is what they look like.

http://www.vision-riders.com/bb/photos/show-album.asp?albumid=21&ph...

I added the PIAA lights to the front of the bike for visablity reasons during daylight hours. I think PIAA lights give another demension to the front of the motorcycle for added safety during daylight hours. I have already had a lot of folks comment on the added lights as it added a more eye catching front to the motorcycle, with that I'm happy. With these and the HID and the turn signals as running lights I feel we can be seen better than most motorcycles. To me, this is well worth the cost......and they are very easy to install, yourself. It's going to do more good than $300 worth of chrome. Hey, just my opinion.
metalguy
Posted 2008-03-31 1:32 PM (#7632 - in reply to #5036)

Tourer

Tacoma, WA
I am pondering installing lights on my Vision, but after seeing the price of these units, I think I can do better with buying the brighter units at the local auto parts store, and fabricating my own brackets, as well as a relay, fuse, etc.----Metalguy
RedRider
Posted 2008-03-31 2:25 PM (#7634 - in reply to #5036)

Visionary

As in most cases with 3rd party product you can get better for less. For anyone that has these lites dealer installed how much of the wiring harness is on the Victory? If we bought a set from another vendor isn't the new wiring harness with relay included? Where does the lite harness plug into the Victory harness?
Can someone find a Victory switch that could be used with these lites from another vendor?
TimS
Posted 2008-03-31 2:31 PM (#7636 - in reply to #7634)

Iron Butt

Make sure you have the proper mounting brackets for the Vision.

Tim 

sandman
Posted 2008-03-31 2:34 PM (#7637 - in reply to #5036)

Cruiser

rhode island
Harness plugs into a dedicated plug in back of the access panel near the fuse box also a relay is used to turn them on an off with the high beams
sandman
Posted 2008-03-31 3:57 PM (#7648 - in reply to #5036)

Cruiser

rhode island
On an off with H.I.D switch dedicated power.

Edited by sandman 2008-03-31 3:58 PM
dwhite28
Posted 2008-08-06 8:26 AM (#15315 - in reply to #5036)

Tourer

San Antonio, TX United States
Seems part of the reason for the light is being lost here. They are FOG lights. They work in conjunction with the HID light. The HID takes care of the center portion of the road for distance. The lower wattage closer the the ground helps you see the sides of the road hence the low mount and the lower wattage helps reduce glare but still light the area. Again this is mainly for FOGGY weather. I am sure everyhere knows what happens when you turn your high beams on in the fog. Your sight distance actually drops. They lower lights still show up very well during the day at a distance to assist with visibility. I am planning on getting mine very soon. They are a breeze to install, one of the reasons you pay part of the high price. PIAA has always been high, but the victory set requires no splicing or additional switches or relays. Everything is already on the bike, just mount the light and plug them in. I have installed a few sets already at the shop.
devilboy
Posted 2008-08-06 11:50 AM (#15334 - in reply to #5036)

Cruiser

Central Florida
I too replaced the anemic bulbs with the 55W from the 1100x set up.
Not only are they awesome for night riding the brighter bulbs are so bright that I have been flashed by cages during the day time. the MOST important thing to me on the Vision is beeing seen! There have been occasions when a car started to pull out across my path but stopped when they saw my lights. That and a Stebel horn to stop them helps raise your defense level.
If I had TimS' electrical ability I would change out my tail lights like he did.
Props go to him for telling me about higher wattage bulbs....
MangoMike
Posted 2008-08-06 12:11 PM (#15337 - in reply to #5036)

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
Just received my lights in the mail, and the 55w bulbs are on their way. You don't have to pay Victory prices for these things (or any other parts). Check with Victory Indian Motorcycle in Hancock, Maine. Talk to Bill. He has great prices on parts. I think my lights were about $275, which included shipping. Victory wants about $360 I think.

Call Bill, he's a great guy to do business with.

Mike
TimS
Posted 2008-08-06 12:19 PM (#15338 - in reply to #15337)

Iron Butt

MangoMike - 2008-08-06 9:11 AM Just received my lights in the mail, and the 55w bulbs are on their way. You don't have to pay Victory prices for these things (or any other parts). Check with Victory Indian Motorcycle in Hancock, Maine. Talk to Bill. He has great prices on parts. I think my lights were about $275, which included shipping. Victory wants about $360 I think. Call Bill, he's a great guy to do business with. Mike

Are the mounting brackets the same that are on the Vision's kit?

Thanks,

Tim 

devilboy
Posted 2008-08-06 1:37 PM (#15344 - in reply to #15338)

Cruiser

Central Florida
TimS - 2008-08-06 12:19 PM

MangoMike - 2008-08-06 9:11 AM Just received my lights in the mail, and the 55w bulbs are on their way. You don't have to pay Victory prices for these things (or any other parts). Check with Victory Indian Motorcycle in Hancock, Maine. Talk to Bill. He has great prices on parts. I think my lights were about $275, which included shipping. Victory wants about $360 I think. Call Bill, he's a great guy to do business with. Mike

Are the mounting brackets the same that are on the Vision's kit?

Thanks,

Tim 

Tim, They are the PIAA Vision lights from Victory Catalog...
TimS
Posted 2008-08-06 2:09 PM (#15348 - in reply to #15344)

Iron Butt

It is good to see them at a lower price.  Every time I go to a show, I tell the Victory people they should sell the kit with the 55 watt bulbs and be done with it.

Tim 

MangoMike
Posted 2008-08-06 4:37 PM (#15361 - in reply to #15338)

Puddle Jumper

Tampa, FL
Tim,

As Marc said, these are the Victory lights, as stated on the box. I haven't opened it yet since my bike is in the shop waiting for a new tire.

Mike
Codfather
Posted 2008-08-06 5:38 PM (#15368 - in reply to #5036)

Cruiser

Just want to let you folks know www.motolight.com has some very cool lights. I my opinion these are much better quality. They aren't cheap about the same as Victorys.
david.terry
Posted 2008-08-06 10:22 PM (#15394 - in reply to #5036)

Cruiser

Madison, AL
I have the HID light and now it looks like I couldn't afford the right lights all at once. One nice bright white one and the yellow ones. I'm going to fix this quickly. Now, the thing that stinks is that you have to replace more than the bulb since they are glued in. I found a PIAA dealer nearby and going there this weekend to have my bulbs switched out. Also going to get the Silverstars. I hope this makes the front lights look uniform.
CoolHandLuke
Posted 2014-05-15 11:57 AM (#156346 - in reply to #15315)

Iron Butt

, FL United States
I know this is a VERY old thread but I'm wondering if any Visioneer out there has found LED lights that will fit on the Brackets that came with the PIAA fog lights that Ma Vic sold us? If so, what brand and approximate cost? Thanks for your help.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™