You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

To be fair
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Vision DiscussionMessage format

Teach
Posted 2009-12-15 5:36 PM (#49746)
Subject: To be fair

Visionary

Ok some of you know I have had more than my fair share of Vision issues and I do gripe when they are not addressed. The radio and headlite hve been ongoing but I finally had the radio replaced thus reducing the repeat issue to the headlite.
I had sent a certified letter to Victory several months back and to my surprize finally got a reply today on my answer machine. Victory has a new headlite they want to try in my bike and they believe it will address the ongoing cracking issue I have experienced (4 times). They have contacted my dealer and will be providing the headlite and labor to replace the new bad one with a new good one (I hope its good).
Of course the snow is flying here but as soon as the roads are clar enough to make riding safe, I'll be getting it in for this replacement. I likely won't be able to give any feedback until the snow clears in the spring but I wanted to be fair to Victory and let everyone know they have addressed this issue.
I could gripe that it took long enough, or some other lame complaint but the bottom line is they have stood behind their product and that has restored my faith in their effots to continue doing the right thing. So to Victory.... Thank You!

I will recommend to others that might become disillusioned with a warranty complaint, one that doesn't seem to get addressed, to continue following up. It might take some time, but hopefully it will result in a repair at some point (has for me).

Anyhow I just wanted to let folks know the outcome as it was a long long wait without resolution but it looks like a happy result.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Man314
Posted 2009-12-15 5:51 PM (#49749 - in reply to #49746)
Subject: Re: To be fair

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Good of you to post . . . thanks!
Cometman
Posted 2009-12-15 6:00 PM (#49750 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Teach- good to hear they got back to you finally- hope their resolution works! New designs always have bugs- (See Microsoft)

Tim
etspastimes
Posted 2009-12-15 7:39 PM (#49752 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Salisbury, NC
Teach, I'm glad that they have paid you a little piece of mind. Hope it works out well for you and the issue will finally be laid to rest with a headlight lens that does not have the cracks after a short time. All of us Vision owners owe you thanks for staying on them. ET
Mongo
Posted 2009-12-15 10:41 PM (#49764 - in reply to #49746)
Subject: RE: To be fair

Cruiser

Newnan, GA
Good luck and God bless you and your bike. May your roads be twisty with a cool breeze in your face.
Mfoster
Posted 2009-12-16 1:00 AM (#49765 - in reply to #49746)

Cruiser

Very honorable on both sides of the issue. Good job.
IndyVision
Posted 2009-12-16 3:29 PM (#49793 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Good for you Teach. I hope the individuals on your other thread who bragged about convincing people not to buy a Victory read your new post. Maybe they will have a change of heart also.
wjoel
Posted 2009-12-16 6:57 PM (#49798 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Northeastern Penna.
Good to hear that something positive, probably, will come out of this. We all can only hope that Victory will do this for others, as well.
elvis441
Posted 2009-12-16 7:48 PM (#49804 - in reply to #49746)

Cruiser

Houston, TX
Glad to know they took care of you finally. Good to see thay do eventually stand behind their product. Good to know for the future.
Smitty
Posted 2009-12-16 8:13 PM (#49807 - in reply to #49746)

Cruiser

Don't want to sound like a smarta$$, of which I can be sometimes without trying...but that's exactly why I posted after your "rant" (and it was earned) as I did about contacting the folks at Victory/Polaris in a nice way, via certified mail or on the phone.

Being in the quality arena, I understand how to get things done.

Hope your headlight works and I'm glad you're getting serviced by Vic.

Teach - 2009-12-15 5:36 PM

I will recommend to others that might become disillusioned with a warranty complaint, one that doesn't seem to get addressed, to continue following up. It might take some time, but hopefully it will result in a repair at some point (has for me).

Anyhow I just wanted to let folks know the outcome as it was a long long wait without resolution but it looks like a happy result.
Teach
Posted 2009-12-17 7:30 PM (#49864 - in reply to #49746)

Visionary

Smitty, I'm quite familiar with how to get results but Victory still needs to do a better job of talking to dealers and owners. I believe my letter was sent in September? And I'm just now hearing back. Would it have killed someone to have picked up a phone or issue a bulletin stating the problem is known and being addressed? Instead what I got (and others) was the old too bad, sucks to be you.
So "rant" or not this is an area they will need to work on. Like I said I don't want to get all woulda shoulda coulda on this post, I simply wanted to let folks know a fix is out there and my concern has finally been addressed.
Am I pleased the issues are being resolved? You bet. Am I happy about 18 months of agro to get problems fixed that should have been addressed a year ago? No. Do I think Victory customer support is good? You decide. I would think in 3 month someone could have at least picked up a phone saying we got your letter.
Smitty
Posted 2009-12-18 9:51 PM (#49930 - in reply to #49864)
Subject: Teach, I think the service you got from Polaris is horrible

Cruiser

And I agree something should have happened earlier. I actually talked to my dealer about your issues last Saturday and he agreed.

But it's like he said, "Victory wants you to go through the dealer."

I've yet to have a problem that my dealer has not, or can not fix.
Victory1
Posted 2009-12-19 9:41 AM (#49940 - in reply to #49746)

Puddle Jumper

I luv my Vision, I' m glad Teach is getting some satisfaction. I don't believe he should have gone through mental torture for some results.
Polaris obviously needs to step up to the plate sooner. I'm sure we all start out with a signaficant degree of diplomacy, which after lack of satisfaction turns into I want my fuc$$$$ bike fixed
ElroyJ
Posted 2009-12-22 4:53 PM (#50078 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Centennial, CO
Teach,

I just now read this post. I am not sure if this matter (probably not knowing my luck), but you might consider holding off on the replacement until closer to spring. This way you can get some time on the light before (or IF) it cracks again. The reason I say this is simple. If you replace it now and then let the bike sit for 90 days (as is the case in most of the winter states), Victory COULD say that it was fine for 90 days so no more replacements.

Just a thought!

Congrats...at least you got more out of a reply about an issue than I ever did! Way to be persistent (squeaky wheel and all).
lennyb
Posted 2009-12-22 5:13 PM (#50079 - in reply to #50078)

Iron Butt

Perry Hall, MD
I've seen the photos of the headlamp issue, and try as I might Teach I have not seen any evidence of the problem on mine (an 08 but only in my garage since July). Are the bikes from the south experiencing the same cracking? Just wondering if the problem could be caused by freezing of the adhesive or any moisture that may exist in the joint. Ordinarily I would agree with holding off on the repair, but if freezing is a possibility the idea of waiting may be the opposite of what you would want to do.
varyder
Posted 2009-12-22 8:09 PM (#50086 - in reply to #49746)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
no issues or concerns here with mine in Central VA. The only ones that I've known about are the ones here on the forum...I've got one of the early on ones, serial #3114 adopted November 17, 2007 with 59,985 miles on her. It sits outside all the time, in cold and hot, and probably the most abused Vision on the road. Runs better than new, and only had the sputtering stuff and found it to be an exhaust leak on the header pipes. Had the dimples on the saddle bags that was replaced under warranty as well as both front rotors. I've put a few new front and rear tires on mine and replaced the belt at the 45,000 miles service and it is hard to tell the old one from the new one. Just did replace the headlights because one burned it was such fun changing those bad boys. I would have created my own cracks in the lens but thought better of it. But other than that, the honeymoon is far from over....

Edited by varyder 2009-12-22 8:10 PM
Teach
Posted 2009-12-22 8:55 PM (#50093 - in reply to #49746)

Visionary

All 08's have a bad radio handlebar control and all 08's and 09's have bad headlites, do as you will with that info.
atvtinker
Posted 2009-12-23 1:19 AM (#50105 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
I'd have to disagree with "all '08s have bad radio controls and bad headlights". I have yet to have a problem with either one on my bike. I have had some issues with the radio itself as you have, but not these 2 issues. Now grant you I've only had mine since June and have about 15,000 miles on it.
varyder
Posted 2009-12-23 5:37 AM (#50106 - in reply to #49746)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
look into my eyes and read my lips... all 08's and 09's will slide on ice if you attempt to ride on it...
Lone Ranger
Posted 2009-12-23 7:51 AM (#50109 - in reply to #50079)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA
lennyb - 2009-12-22 6:13 PMAre the bikes from the south experiencing the same cracking? Just wondering if the problem could be caused by freezing of the adhesive or any moisture that may exist in the joint.My '08 did in Alabama/Georgia. It was in October, I think, so I don't believe it was the freezing/heating issue.
Teach
Posted 2009-12-23 3:03 PM (#50125 - in reply to #49746)

Visionary

atvtinker, you can disagree ALL you like, BUT your headlite and handlebar control ARE defective. Victory went to a GREAT deal of expense to make/test the new parts. They wouldn't do so if the parts weren't bad. I've looked at literally dozens of Visions and ALL have the stock factory crack. Victory also had their supplier insulate the hand control due to insufficient insulation which causes cross bleeding (change volume and mode changes, etc). These are KNOWN defects which afect ALL the 08's. The bar control was identified before the release of the 09's, but the headlite fix has only now been released. Like I said you can do as you will with the info. If you are NOT having a problem, good on you, BUT if you are there are parts to address them. I've had several folks tell me they did NOT have a bad headlite only to have me point it out to them.

LoneRanger, no it isn't a environmental issue it is a design flaw, hence a Victory redesign and new headlite assy.
ScoreBo
Posted 2009-12-23 5:18 PM (#50133 - in reply to #49746)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
On my second headlight and have already had my handlebar radio controls replaced once. ATVTINKER - not sure when you got your 08, but it may have been updated by the time you got yours. I have had mine since April of 08.
atvtinker
Posted 2009-12-24 3:04 AM (#50146 - in reply to #49746)

Tourer

Grand Cane, LA
ScoreBo, got mine the last week of May '09. I don't think any thing was done to my bike before I got it because it was sitting on some kind of pedestal in the showroom and had never been ridden. They had gotten it down the day before I came to test ride it because they were trying to clear out all of their '08s and '09s to reduce their inventory. Small dealership in Beaumont, TX. Where is this supposed crack in the headlight that y'all keep talking about? I can't find anything on mine and believe me I've looked. The more I visit this site the more things I keep trying to find that just aren't there on mine. I love this bike for the power and comfort it provides for a tourer and am fascinated on how many things I haven't found wrong with it. I"ve ridden many different bikes since I was a kid and has always found many things I wanted to change with all of them except this bike. I've only changed the speakers and the windshield and am very happy with what I've got. Maybe, I'm not picky.
Teach
Posted 2009-12-24 10:26 AM (#50161 - in reply to #49746)

Visionary

atvtinker, nope no dealer is going to replace the parts just for grins as these are not recall items. In other words you are correct the dealer didn't replace them on yours. NOW with that said folks should not be so defensive. I didn't post this so folks would run out and check their bikes or worry. This is an INFO YOU post. If at some point you start having an issue even after warranty runs out you have something to fall back on.
Since the bar control is related to resistance bleed you probably wouldn'thave an issue except after operating in less than ideal riding situations like rain, maybe right after a wash, extreme cold, etc...Mine was real bad and didn't work right at all, ever.
The headlite comes from the factory with a very small crack on the left upper side/corner about one inch in as you sit on the bike. This crack in itself is NOT an issue, but other hairline cracks will begin to form along the corners sides, top and around the HID. The part of the headlite of greatest concern is the top edge which begins to discolor as it separates from the back portion of the housing. This will appear as foggy patch about a 1/4 to half inch wide running across the headlite top center to outer left. If you look at a showroom Vision you'll note this area should be bright chrome. Again this is NOT a big issue until the water starts getting inside the housing, but it should be addressed before that happens so it doesn't affect the headlites projection.
Again NOBODY wants you to hunt, dislike your bike, or get rid of it. These are simply KNOWN issues that owners need to be aware of. When you are washing your bike just give it a look and if it looks ok move on, the sky isn't falling, lol..
All this post was for was to info folks that Victory has gotten the replacement headlite and is taking care of my headlite finally. Other manufacturers might not have stepped up, so I applaud their efforts. After 4 replacements I hope this will be the last.
bigwill5150
Posted 2009-12-24 3:13 PM (#50163 - in reply to #50161)

Iron Butt

Reno County, KS
This crack in itself is NOT an issue, but other hairline cracks will begin to form along the corners sides, top and around the HID. The part of the headlite of greatest concern is the top edge which begins to discolor as it separates from the back portion of the housing. This will appear as foggy patch about a 1/4 to half inch wide running across the headlite top center to outer left.<---- I have this. I've known about it for about 8 months now; however, I have been working with Victory to get my rear pulley since before then. I'm going to chase the headlight problem next vice the radio because the cost of replacement HID or the headlight assempbly is unbelievable. Unfortunately, I can't just have them go through the bike and fix all of it at once since I'm going to have to go 300+ mi. I imagine that the headlight is going to be simpler to get resolved than the pulley/radio since its visual and readily apperant **I hope** I think I'm just going to just buy the NEW radio out of pocket to get the random radio mode switching/poor reception fixed because it will save me mucho hassle. Thanks again for posting. Let us know how this headlight works out so I know the right direction to help nudge the dealership in.
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™