You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Another Cruise Control problem
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

alberts46
Posted 2010-01-21 7:37 PM (#51783)
Subject: Another Cruise Control problem

Cruiser

Bonita Springs, FL
This started a few weeks ago, cruise red light does come on when you hit the on button, try to engage cruise, nothing. Strange part, after about 5-10 minutes it works fine, green light on dash comes on and cruise works perfect. This happens almost every time I ride the bike. Suggestions on where to start looking.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Joker
Posted 2010-01-22 11:49 AM (#51803 - in reply to #51783)
Subject: RE: Another Cruise Control problem

Cruiser

Buford, GA United States
Mine did it twice so far and it was a brake line problem. The brake is telling the computer that it is engaged and thus the cruise control will not engage. The mechanic at my dealer takes about 20 minutes to fix.
dand2
Posted 2010-07-22 3:48 PM (#65092 - in reply to #51803)
Subject: Re: Another Cruise Control problem

New user

Mine does it too...cruise light on the button comes on, but that's it. I tried resetting the cruise control, but nothing seems to work thus far. Would like to avoid a trip to the dealer.
alberts46
Posted 2010-07-22 5:04 PM (#65096 - in reply to #65092)

Cruiser

Bonita Springs, FL
I started this post way back and my bike still does this. Dealer found nothing wrong with brake lines, and I have had the 5,000 and 7,500 mile service done and still the same. It will work after about 5-10 minutes and then is fine, just won't work when bike is off for several days.
Lone Ranger
Posted 2010-07-22 5:43 PM (#65101 - in reply to #51783)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA
I've noticed that mine has done it twice in the past week. Did it Monday and again today. Monday it was working fine on interstate. I disengaged it and later it wouldn't reengage. About ten minutes later it worked. Same thing today.

For those with that problem, do we have anything in common except a Vision?

Mine is a 2008 with 29,000 miles. Location when this happened: Alabama/Georgia. Temperatures in upper 90s. Weather dry, but humid.

Yours?
VisionTex
Posted 2010-07-22 5:55 PM (#65105 - in reply to #65101)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
Lone Ranger - 2010-07-22 4:43 PM

I've noticed that mine has done it twice in the past week. Did it Monday and again today. Monday it was working fine on interstate. I disengaged it and later it wouldn't reengage. About ten minutes later it worked. Same thing today.

Mine is a 2008 with 29,000 miles. Location when this happened: Alabama/Georgia. Temperatures in upper 90s. Weather dry, but humid.

Yours?

How did you disengage the cruise? Push the off button, front brake, rear brake, or throttle twist?
glighto11
Posted 2010-07-22 9:13 PM (#65118 - in reply to #51783)

Iron Butt

Central New York
I used to have a problem with mine then realized I was letting the throttle go back before the cruise fully engaged causing the throttle switch to disengage the cruise. I now make sure the cruise has taken control before I let the throttle relax. Haven't had a failure since.
Lone Ranger
Posted 2010-07-22 10:50 PM (#65123 - in reply to #65105)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA

VisionTex - 2010-07-22 6:55 PM 

How did you disengage the cruise? Push the off button, front brake, rear brake, or throttle twist?

Tapped the front brake.

VisionTex
Posted 2010-07-23 6:26 AM (#65130 - in reply to #65123)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
With the red light on the finger controls that indicated the cruise is energized, but the control is not set. The green light on the dash is the indicator that you has set the cruise and that it is engaged. Random failures are hard to track down for anyone. Over the last couple years the biggest reason for cruise problems have been the brake switches.
chesshiretuna
Posted 2010-07-23 7:35 AM (#65137 - in reply to #51783)

Tourer

Have you replaced any of the tail lights. Some changed thiers to LED and had problems. Maybe there is a bad bulb or connection. The computer looks for a resistance value on that circuit when it sets the cruise.
Arkainzeye
Posted 2010-07-23 7:43 AM (#65138 - in reply to #65137)

Visionary

Pittsburgh, PA
chesshiretuna - 2010-07-23 7:35 AM

Have you replaced any of the tail lights. Some changed thiers to LED and had problems. Maybe there is a bad bulb or connection. The computer looks for a resistance value on that circuit when it sets the cruise.

i was just thinking the same thing. i noticed on here and another forum that when some have altered the wiring or adding leds etc then all the sudden the cruise stopped working. im not saying its always the fault of the leds. but i noticed alot greater chance of problems after someone posted a led upgrade or something else they added on by tapping into the tail light circuit.
varyder
Posted 2010-07-23 7:47 AM (#65139 - in reply to #65101)

Visionary

New Bohemia, VA
Lone Ranger - 2010-07-22 6:43 PM

Yours?

Just to add to the mix. I use the cruise, sometimes. For the most part, in the early days when I did use it a lot it would often go crazy and not engage, or disengage, and thinking back I wonder if it is not moisture that was in the switch on the bar.

I did use the cruise some on my trip to California, but not a lot. Maybe at the longest stretch, on and off for about 100 miles on a couple of occasions (that's when I was taking a nap in the back..lOl). But during each of those sessions it worked fine. The center right side tail light has been out for a few days, but I have used the cruise momentarily without issue.

(2008 - Tour Premium - 78,080 miles)
nohawg
Posted 2010-07-23 11:46 AM (#65162 - in reply to #51783)

Cruiser

Fargo, ND
I had my cruise stop working twice on different trips. Once right after a rain, the next time just randomly quit. The red light on the switch would work, but no green light on the dash, and it would not engage. If you look down through the opening for the forks from the top ahead of your fuel door, you will see an assembly where the throttle cables from the handlebars join to the cables to the throttle body. There is a small black wiring connector that fits onto 2 small spade lugs coming out of the side of the cable joiner. That is the throttle cable microswitch. I found mine to be pretty loose. The first time it quit was from moisture. The second time the connector had just fallen off the switch. A little squeeze of the connector contacts in the plug to tighten the connection and a dab of electrolyte grease to keep the moisture out, and I haven't had a problem since in over a year. Hope this helps someone.

Edited by nohawg 2010-07-23 11:49 AM
Lone Ranger
Posted 2010-07-27 5:39 PM (#65623 - in reply to #65123)

Tourer

Cleveland, GA
I figured out my cruise control problem last night (well, mostly). Looking in my rear-view mirror when the CC stopped working, I noticed that my brake lights are sticking in the on position occasionally, keeping the cruise from engaging. Had to give the brakes a few solid and repeated taps (did both front and rear, to be sure) to get the brake lights to go out. Voila! Cruise control began working again!

Now I need to hit up my dealer for a fix on the brake light switch, I reckon. Glad to know what's going on, anyway.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™