You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Exhaust tips
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Man314
Posted 2010-12-20 4:01 PM (#75888 - in reply to #75856)
Subject: Re: Custom Exhaust tips

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"

sgiacci - 2010-12-19 8:57 PM warp drive is supposed to be blue

+1

Top of the page Bottom of the page
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-12-20 8:05 PM (#75897 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Iron Butt

For those of you who have ordered Chrome with Black Chrome Bullets here is a sample picture one of the chrome plating companies sent me as a view of their "black chrome". They call it Black Titanium as the process involves plating a layer of titanium nitride over a chromed part. This plating company (The Chrome Shop Inc., A Division of Berge Plating Works, Inc.) has informed that this version of black chrome plating ends up being much more durable than just plain chrome but it is also about double the cost, luckily the bullet is a simple part to polish and chrome and thus the cost should be to outrageous.

(Black Titanium sample pic.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Black Titanium sample pic.JPG (94KB - 10 downloads)
Man314
Posted 2010-12-20 8:09 PM (#75898 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Me likey
Amibrau
Posted 2010-12-20 11:45 PM (#75912 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

The Great Northwet
Travelin Man....ordered a set with flutes via email to your new website. Let me know the total and the money will be sent to paypal.....this is gonna make the bike look even better...
joe schmoe
Posted 2010-12-21 9:58 AM (#75925 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

East TN
What new web site???? Link anyone??? Yes me likey too!!! E-mail sent with a purchase request!!
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-12-21 2:57 PM (#75930 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Joe, no website yet, just email and as of 30 minutes ago (the last time I checked the email) I haven't received your order.

Rich
Man314
Posted 2010-12-21 3:15 PM (#75931 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Glad I got my set ordered !! I wonder what it would look like if I stripped all of my chrome off the bike and went to Black Titanium Chrome???
Nozzledog
Posted 2010-12-21 3:53 PM (#75932 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
If you find out how much that costs, let me know. I've been thinking along the same lines.
Amibrau
Posted 2010-12-21 3:55 PM (#75933 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

The Great Northwet
Thanks for your work on this and your customer service.
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-12-22 9:18 PM (#76014 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mark, The Chrome Shop is only a few hours from me, perhaps after the new year I can take a couple of my factory accessory chrome parts off the bike and have them give me a quote on doing them in the Black Titanium and then let you know so you can shop around.

I am hoping to hear back from them before Christmas but I'm not counting on it because surprise, surprise, even with this bad economy all the custom chrome shops I have talked to are extremely busy trying to get parts our for people's Christmas presents.

BTW, the two other companies I am having quotes done by are Chrome Masters and Advanced Plating, both in Nashville, TN.
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-12-23 1:17 PM (#76042 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Got them today, Travelin Man. They look AWESOME! They will be going off to the chrome shop this week.
Man314
Posted 2010-12-23 2:18 PM (#76045 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Do post pics ScoreBo!
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-12-23 3:23 PM (#76051 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
As soon I get them back I will.
VaParadox
Posted 2010-12-23 3:39 PM (#76055 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
TravelinMan, please check your site email bud!
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-12-23 7:06 PM (#76070 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mac, just checked my email and there wasn't anything there yet from you, are you sure you sent it to mrwizardsbilletcreations@comcast.net?
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-12-23 9:25 PM (#76076 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

For those that have either received their orders or whose orders are in transit there are two important things that I forgot to put in the boxes with the tips; 1, instructions and 2, the screw to plug the extra hole.

The instructions are simple enough as the mounting is the same as the stock tips but it is the joining of the center bullet with the base that requires a little bit of instruction. You will find (2) 3/8"-16NC x 1 1.2" long studs in a plastic bag included, these are for joining the bullets with the bases and have blue Loctite thread locking tape already applied. Start by threading stud into the base by one or two threads then start threading the bullet onto the stud. You will find after a few turns that the bullet will turn harder as the thread locking tape starts to grab, it is at this point that you will want to use a rubber plumbing type of strap wrench to finish tightening the bullet until it makes contact with the base. I highly recommend installing the bullet prior to installing the base on the muffler as it is easier than you think to bend the factory mounting flange.

The screw that I forgot to include is a 6mm x 10 mm button head allen head screw, the purpose of this screw is simply to seal off the fourth hole in the tip base that is only used for those with either a Cross Country or a Cross Roads. The screw will have blue Loctite tape applied and needs to be installed from the inside of the base.

I apologize for this oversight and will correct it on Monday.

Richard Fischer
Mr. Wizard
VaParadox
Posted 2010-12-24 9:21 AM (#76107 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Got your replys, thanks, I had one other question that i sent back, after that i am ready to order. This will be my xmas gift to me !
Thanks for such a cool product.

M.
Amibrau
Posted 2010-12-24 10:23 AM (#76109 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

The Great Northwet
No worries Rich...you're only running 2 or more businesses....not to mention dealing with all of us "new-parts-crazed" types! Thanks for taking care of us.
Amibrau
Posted 2010-12-27 12:06 PM (#76219 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

The Great Northwet
Just got mine Rich....fantastic workmanship on this product...Thanks.
Cometman
Posted 2010-12-28 12:58 AM (#76264 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Any word on the price of chrome?
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-12-28 6:14 AM (#76268 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Tim, still waiting from the two plating companies in Tennessee I have sent samples to respond, but yesterday I drove down to The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, Illinois (about 3 1/2 hours from my house) and spoke with the owner to get a true idea of what their version of black chrome looks like. Let me tell you here and now, it is the darkest and most shiny black chrome I have ever seen, not at all looking like smoked chrome it is truly black and the picture I posted earlier doesn't do it justice. I believe that those who want the black chrome for the center bullet, which happens to be just about everyone, will be extremely happy with the results.
Man314
Posted 2010-12-28 7:07 AM (#76271 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Yeah!
Man314
Posted 2011-01-06 11:40 PM (#76805 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Any updates on chrome pricing?
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-07 6:24 AM (#76810 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Well, I yesterday heard from ChromeMasters in Nashville and they are recommending to NOT chrome the base due to the ports for the exhaust gases not getting a proper layer of chrome. I have heard a similar comment from Berge Plating (The Chrome Shop) but they also stated that both the copper and nickel would have no problem with proper application and the thinning of the chrome in the ports would not affect if the chrome would peal or not peal, Doug (The Chrome Shop) also stated that if the Black Titanium Nitrade coating was applied that would further protect the finish as it is an extremely durable finish. Both plating shops that have responded have said that the center bullet of course would not be any problem to plate in chrome, and Darrel at ChromeMasters (they DO NOT DO black chrome or titanium) suggested that perhaps the best and most durable finish for the base would be a fine polish to the aluminum followed by a clear anodizing which would still have shine to it but not as much as straight chrome, as with any polished part not being as shiny as a plated part. I have yet to hear back from Advanced Plating in Nashville but I have a feeling they might say the same thing, the difference being that Berge Plating has said they will stand behind their work no matter what and ChromeMasters said that they would not be able guarantee their work due to the design of the part. I think I will be calling Doug at Berge Plating today and shipping him the majority of the parts because 1) he guarantees his work on chrome plating the parts and 2) he offers the durable black titanium finish that most are asking for. Personally I am now considering doing the entire tip in black titanium as it would have a nice contrast to the chrome heat shields AND still be shiny. Of course since the center bullet is an easy item to plate you can always do the inverse and do the bullet in chrome but then you need to wipe it down after every ride.

And the saga continues............

On a good note though, I was told by both plating outfits that if the design would be a normal tip with a large opening then there would be no problem in plating them, of course I responded that the Vision is no normal motorcycle........... but I understand the science behind the problems with plating the openings in the tip as designed and if you want to find out what that is please feel free to call me at 815-953-7706 and I'll explain it.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-07 12:24 PM (#76826 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

So it sounds as if they are concerned in not getting a totally even layer of chrome deep into the internal vents/chambers and that there is no real possibility of peeling it also sounds like the black titanium will only help the situation.

If this is the case, I'm good with 100% black titanium. How much will total units be shipped to Spirit Lake, IA. I'll drive by the Victory plant with them and let them drool. Who knows, maybe they will add them as a factory option!
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... >
Now viewing page 7 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™