You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Exhaust tips
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... >
Now viewing page 8 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

rikrok
Posted 2011-01-07 1:55 PM (#76828 - in reply to #76826)
Subject: Re: Custom Exhaust tips

Cruiser

Solid black tips may look good. Rinehart has been using them for quite some time.

(lil rein.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lil rein.jpg (10KB - 2 downloads)
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-10 12:55 PM (#76993 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
I want mine chromed.... hummmmmmm
ScoreBo
Posted 2011-01-10 1:12 PM (#76994 - in reply to #76076)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Travelin Man - 2010-12-23 9:25 PM

For those that have either received their orders or whose orders are in transit there are two important things that I forgot to put in the boxes with the tips; 1, instructions and 2, the screw to plug the extra hole.

The instructions are simple enough as the mounting is the same as the stock tips but it is the joining of the center bullet with the base that requires a little bit of instruction. You will find (2) 3/8"-16NC x 1 1.2" long studs in a plastic bag included, these are for joining the bullets with the bases and have blue Loctite thread locking tape already applied. Start by threading stud into the base by one or two threads then start threading the bullet onto the stud. You will find after a few turns that the bullet will turn harder as the thread locking tape starts to grab, it is at this point that you will want to use a rubber plumbing type of strap wrench to finish tightening the bullet until it makes contact with the base. I highly recommend installing the bullet prior to installing the base on the muffler as it is easier than you think to bend the factory mounting flange.

The screw that I forgot to include is a 6mm x 10 mm button head allen head screw, the purpose of this screw is simply to seal off the fourth hole in the tip base that is only used for those with either a Cross Country or a Cross Roads. The screw will have blue Loctite tape applied and needs to be installed from the inside of the base.

I apologize for this oversight and will correct it on Monday.

Richard Fischer
Mr. Wizard

Any idea when these screws will be shipped?
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-10 2:04 PM (#76996 - in reply to #76051)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
ScoreBo - 2010-12-23 1:23 PM

As soon I get them back I will.

Get yours chromed yet?
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-10 5:10 PM (#77004 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

John, I'll ship you your two screws tomorrow, it completely slipped my mind!

I have prices back from ChromMasters in Nashville, TN. They are the outfit that won't consider chrome plating the tip base but will do the center bullet for $15.00 each, so a total of $30.00 per set of center bullets plus shipping for straight chrome. Doug at The Chrome Shop called me today and said he will have prices tomorrow for both the base and bullet done in chrome or black titanium. I still haven't heard a peep from Advanced Plating in Nashville, so I shot them off another email today. Figuring that prices should be somewhat similar from each company and the fact that Doug at The Chrome Shop told me that black titanium costs about double what straight chrome does I would figure that the bullets done in black titanium will run about $60.00 per set. Knowing that, now I am guessing, only guessing, that the bases will probably cost around $70.00 a set to chrome and about $140.00 a set in black titanium. All this means that a full set of tips with bullets should be around $200.00 for that finish, meaning a set at machined tips at $250.00 minus the board discount of $50.00 (20%) plus the cost of plating and black titanium ends up with a total cost of around $400.00 for black titanium and $300 for straight chrome, plus shipping charges.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-10 5:19 PM (#77005 - in reply to #76828)

Iron Butt

rikrok - 2011-01-07 1:55 PM Solid black tips may look good. Rinehart has been using them for quite some time.

Funny that you show the Rinehart picture, I just got a set of those tips from a buddy and am planning on coming up with a design to replace the stock Rinehart tips with something custom.  I have confirmed that I will be having a booth at Northern Illinois Biker Jam this June which is held at Kegal's Harley-Davidson in Rockford, IL.  I have high hope for this show because this year the regional HOG rally is being held in Rockford on that same weekend and Kegal's is expecting over 10,000 people to be flowing through it's grounds the entire weekend.  Although I've always stated that I want to keep this new business smaller, I have a gut feeling that demand for semi custom, small batch production parts is going to force me into growing it faster than I wanted to.

joe schmoe
Posted 2011-01-11 7:26 AM (#77023 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

East TN
Can you post pictures of the chrome base and black titanium centers???? When will you get into prodcution on the chrome??? Not that I'm inpatient or anything....I just want them YESTERDAY!! (j/k)
ScoreBo
Posted 2011-01-11 8:33 AM (#77024 - in reply to #76996)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Cometman - 2011-01-10 2:04 PM

ScoreBo - 2010-12-23 1:23 PM

As soon I get them back I will.

Get yours chromed yet?

Christmas break and pet health issues kept me away from him. I hope to get them out later this week or early next week. I am not in a hurry as the snow has me down and out.
V92SC
Posted 2011-01-11 3:08 PM (#77038 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Tourer

New Orleans, La,
Thumbs up on the design and the skills of the machinist,but I have one concern you may be able to resolve. Since the terminal opening of an exhaust influences the actual sound of said exhaust can we possibly get a sound byte of these tips? I am very interested in a purchase dependent on the sound. Thanx.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-11 5:09 PM (#77041 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Al, I'll try to get a video with sound done up this weekend.

Another update on chrome and black chrome. I talked to the owner of Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN today to discuss my concern about them not responding to quote request with a supplied sample. Well, the end result is definitely going to make some people happy here because his prices for chrome and black chrome are even lower than those quoted by ChromeMaster and The Chrome Shop. I told me that the base will cost $20 each to chrome and $30 for black chrome, the center bullet will be $8 for chrome and $12 for black chrome, meaning an entire set will cost only $84 to get done in black chrome, or $64 for a complete set with the base done in chrome and the bullet in black chrome. This makes the total cost for a set of tips $250 minus board discount of $50 (20%) plus either $64 or $84 for finishing meaning total cost of either $264 or $284 plus actual shipping costs. This is more in line with what I first thought of when I started this project, I wanted to offer a tip that would meet or beat the price Victory sells the Gatlin tips for.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-11 6:40 PM (#77043 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
SOOOOO, these guys will or will not guarantee the quality of plain chrome? Cosmetic issues or peeling issues? Is the black chrome the same deep dark chrome that you mentioned before? What is their turnaround time? I assume they will want to process a batch of these at the same time. Getting closer and I'm getting excited!
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-11 10:04 PM (#77059 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Get a set chromed and post a photo! My check will be in the mail!
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-11 10:13 PM (#77060 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mark, I'm sorry, I knew I forgot to mention something, Steve, the owner of Advanced Plating told me he didn't understand why ChromeMaster wouldn't guarantee their work but he stated unequivocally that he stands behind the work he does and specifically mentioned the peeling issue with regards to this.

His version is called Nickel Black and he went into depth about the process, from what he told me after the strike of copper, then buffing, then a strike of nickel, then buffing, then a strike of chrome, buff and rinse, then a strike of the black nickel which leads to what he sent me a photo of which is truly jet black in color.

I sent Steve at Advanced Plating an additional complete tip so that he can do a complete set in chrome base/black chrome bullet so that I can make a comparison of the work from Doug at The Chrome Shop. Once I have a complete set from both plating companies I am going to take pictures of them side by side, post the pictures and let you guys see for yourselves.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-11 10:18 PM (#77061 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

AWESOME!! How you commin' on that afterburner kit?? J/K!! Seriously, thanks for all the hard work you are putting into this!!
Man314
Posted 2011-01-11 10:19 PM (#77062 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Damn, over 15,000 hits and 8 pages to this post . . . we are some high maintenance folks!
taz456
Posted 2011-01-12 6:11 AM (#77074 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Pittsburgh, PA
I do not on any tips and I'm still not sure which set I want to spent the money on. I would like to see a set of chrome with the black centers. I have been watching this string but have not posted until now. I thank you for al the hours you have put into this project. Still waiting for the final photos and/or video. Very nice work.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-15 6:30 PM (#77342 - in reply to #77024)

Tourer

See what they would charge to black chrome the exhaust heat shields to match the tips.
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-16 11:42 AM (#77382 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
I can't wait to see them chromed! Thanks for your hard work on these!!
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-16 1:08 PM (#77388 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mark, for something like that you will have to talk to them yourself.

Ask for Steve, he is the owner:

Advanced Plating
1425 Cowan Court
Nashville, TN 37207-5628
(615) 227-6900
Man314
Posted 2011-01-16 2:03 PM (#77389 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Thx for info!
Amibrau
Posted 2011-01-16 7:21 PM (#77406 - in reply to #77038)

Cruiser

The Great Northwet
V92SC - 2011-01-11 1:08 PM

Thumbs up on the design and the skills of the machinist,but I have one concern you may be able to resolve. Since the terminal opening of an exhaust influences the actual sound of said exhaust can we possibly get a sound byte of these tips? I am very interested in a purchase dependent on the sound. Thanx.

I don't have a way to do the sound justice on a recording. Just took Viki III out for a quick ride and am very impressed with the sound. It's deeper but not throatier...so more bass in the sound. I noticed no difference what so ever in power or popping. I'm running S1L1 mufflers, Lloydz cams, controller, and intake plate.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-16 8:49 PM (#77409 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Gayle, thanks for the input, any pictures you could post would be greatly appreciated!

Which way did you go on the finishing?
Amibrau
Posted 2011-01-16 9:20 PM (#77411 - in reply to #77409)

Cruiser

The Great Northwet
Haven't done anything with the finish yet....here's a couple of pics
Can't seem to get the pics to take so here's a link to the pics on the VMC
http://forums.thevmc.com/bb/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=100984&posts...

Edited by Amibrau 2011-01-16 9:25 PM
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-16 9:41 PM (#77416 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Gayle, thanks for the pictures!  Here they are for everyone here to see!

(hitch_underneath_small.jpg)

(both_tips_mounted_small.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments hitch_underneath_small.jpg (56KB - 4 downloads)
Attachments both_tips_mounted_small.jpg (41KB - 4 downloads)
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-16 9:45 PM (#77417 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Gayle, by the way, are those the stock muffler heat shields remounted with hose clamps? My heat shield have seemed to move on the stock mufflers and I would like to take them off and repositions them.
Jump to page : < ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... >
Now viewing page 8 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™