You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Exhaust tips
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... >
Now viewing page 9 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Cap'n Nemo
Posted 2011-01-16 9:51 PM (#77418 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: Re: Custom Exhaust tips

Visionary

New Bohemia, Va
Sorry to butt in, but yes those look to be hose clamps. I recently replaced my mufflers and had to cut the old straps off and replace with the hose clamps. Works very nice by the way. Also, I understand the later models came out with the clamps verses the straps, but I don't know personally.

By the way, that is a cool looking exhaust tip. Great job T-Man!

Edited by Cap'n Nemo 2011-01-16 10:05 PM
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-16 10:00 PM (#77419 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Looks great
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-20 6:41 AM (#77649 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Iron Butt

Here's a peek at the one set I got back from The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, IL. I'm impressed with the quality of the chrome where I told them it matters, I also told them that the inside fin area and the backside didn't matter so they didn't get polished or chromed, only copper and then nickel to seal the aluminum. I should have one set back from Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN on Friday and that set is done in what they call Jet Black Nickel.

(First Chrome3.jpg)

(First Chrome2.jpg)

(First Chrome.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments First Chrome3.jpg (72KB - 7 downloads)
Attachments First Chrome2.jpg (80KB - 9 downloads)
Attachments First Chrome.jpg (92KB - 8 downloads)
Prostreet1
Posted 2011-01-20 6:56 AM (#77651 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Allen Park, MI
Very nice....
rikrok
Posted 2011-01-20 7:36 AM (#77654 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Beautiful..........
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-20 8:05 AM (#77658 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Wow..... time to order them Thanks
joe schmoe
Posted 2011-01-20 12:01 PM (#77681 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

East TN
OMG!!! Those is AWESOME!!!! I need to place my order NOW!!!!
hdog
Posted 2011-01-20 12:24 PM (#77685 - in reply to #55748)

Puddle Jumper

I want a set. Let me know when you are ready to take orders.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-20 4:09 PM (#77700 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Kinda cool how the bullet reflects the lines of the inside fins. Can't wait to see black chrome.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-25 11:31 AM (#78105 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Here is a look at the first set of Jet Black Nickel tips.  I cleaned them off prior to taking the pictures but I the windex left streaks due to them being cold from just being brought in from the UPS truck.

(rsz_jet_black_nickel1.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments rsz_jet_black_nickel1.jpg (64KB - 5 downloads)
hottierod
Posted 2011-01-25 11:48 AM (#78106 - in reply to #77649)

Tourer

Sturbridge, Mass
Travelin Man - 2011-01-20 7:41 AM

Here's a peek at the one set I got back from The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, IL. I'm impressed with the quality of the chrome where I told them it matters, I also told them that the inside fin area and the backside didn't matter so they didn't get polished or chromed, only copper and then nickel to seal the aluminum. I should have one set back from Advanced Plating in Nashville, TN on Friday and that set is done in what they call Jet Black Nickel.

Can you take a picture of these looking into straight into them ?

Thxs..

Man314
Posted 2011-01-25 12:58 PM (#78110 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Now I'm torn. They are almost soooo dark that you loose some of the cool detail in the machining. From the picture they almost look high gloss painted vs being chromed. Do you get alot more of the reflection/"chominess" in person vs. the digital image? Might be too much contrast to the silver chromed muffler shields.

Now chrome with black chrome bullet may be the ticket. Anyway you can screw off the chrome bullet on your bike and replace it with black and snap a pic?
SongFan
Posted 2011-01-25 1:52 PM (#78115 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Memphis

I ordered the black ones sight unseen and Travelin Man has shipped me the set shown above.  When I get them I'll document the install, show one side mounted compared the the Gatling Tip on the other side, and try to record any sound differences between the two.  I have S1/L1 exhaust.

I know we are excited about this project and Travelin Man and Bluto have done a great job getting it done.  You can tell T-Man is pumped-up when he is taking pictures right out of the box and they haven't even reached room temperature yet!  Stand by for news.

Man314
Posted 2011-01-25 1:55 PM (#78116 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

You are sooo right Songfan! I am stoked and these guys have done an outstanding job bringing these to life and in putting up with us impatient end users!

Now has anyone figured out if they can use these bad boys with the Thrush exhaust mod??

Edited by Man314 2011-01-25 1:56 PM
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-25 4:25 PM (#78130 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mark, two things; first, while the color of the jet black nickel is black, it also has different hues when in different light. I took me a few different tries with different lighting and backgrounds to get the black to really come out. Second, to use these with the thrush exhaust mod you would have to fabricate an adapter that would replicate the mounting bracket on either the Vision exhaust or the Cross bikes exhaust and if it would be me doing it I would definitely replicate the bracket from the Cross bikes as that bracket provides a full 180 degrees of support for the tip. Anyone good at fabricating sheet metal ought to have an easy time of it, and time is simply what it will take.
Cometman
Posted 2011-01-26 1:18 PM (#78195 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Are they in yet? Are they in yet? Are they in yet?
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-01-26 9:01 PM (#78219 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Tim, I only received the first two sets I sent out to check on quality of plating. Now that I have seen the quality and am satisfied I sent out the majority of the tips out for plating and in general the turn around time will be between 3 to 4 weeks to get them back then process and box them for shipping out to all of you that have been patiently waiting. Here is the breakdown of how I am having the first production run plated.

15 sets of bases, 12 sets plated in straight chrome, 3 sets plated in jet black nickel

20 sets of center bullets, 15 sets plated in jet black nickel, 5 sets plated in straight chrome

I have also begun machining a prototype tip of a different style that will be primarily for the owners of Cross bikes but will also fit the Vision. I'll post a picture when I get that prototype set done with the machining.
Man314
Posted 2011-01-26 9:07 PM (#78220 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Interchangeable tips. Nice! I have decided I want normal chrome base with black chime bullet. Thanks
SongFan
Posted 2011-01-27 3:07 PM (#78252 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Memphis

The UPS guy showed up with the black tips 5 minutes before I walked out the door to come to work tonight.  They were shrink-wrapped to cardboard backing and the box was loaded with styro-peanuts.  Everything looks flawless.  I took out one base and one cone and set them on the kitchen table in the sunlight.  They are exactly how I envisioned.  The photo shown above is too black.  Those look almost painted.  There is a lot more detail in the machining apparent when you see the real thing.  The actual color is a gunmetal super dark silver/black.  Like T-Man explained in the post above, they look different in different lighting.  They don't look anodized, you can tell that they put a real thin layer of black over chrome.  It will be impossible to get the nuances of different hues in a photo. 

I won't get to mess with these until tomorrow morning so if anyone has any requests on what they'd like to see before I get them installed, reply here tonight.

Woo Hoo!  Thanks T-Man!

Man314
Posted 2011-01-27 3:12 PM (#78254 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Would love to see a variety of pics in different lighting. The pics above scared me off as I thought they were too dark. My concern is if there is too much contrast from muffler heat shields to tips. I want it to look like an integrated unit I love the concept of the black chrome. Maybe I need to see them in real life to appreciate
SongFan
Posted 2011-01-27 3:26 PM (#78256 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Memphis

Hey Mark,

I thought the same thing about them looking too black in the photo above.  I just had faith that the real thing would look like I hoped.  If you have ever seen black chrome in person, it is stunning.  I have a Midnight Cherry bike and thought that the all-black tips would stand out too much but when I looked at my  bike, there is lots of black.  The trunk edges/speaker grills, seat, backrests, floorboards and grips.

One of the cool effects lost in the black photo compared to the chrome photos is the reflection on the chrome bullets.  The turbine fins look very cool reflected on the chrome bullets and disappear in the black photo above.  In real life sunlight, the black ones show that reflection.

I picked the all-black tips because that one feature will break my bike out of the pack from a long way off (plus I won't be as anal about soot).  Any color/finish combination of these tips will be awesome.

Man314
Posted 2011-01-27 5:36 PM (#78261 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

I'm convinced. All black chrome for me. T-Man and SongFan, thanks for describing . . . pictures cant do these justice
SongFan
Posted 2011-01-28 12:34 PM (#78304 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Memphis

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

rwilly
Posted 2011-01-28 1:02 PM (#78306 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

seattle, wa
They look great.
Put them on a blacked out exhaust and it would look incredible.
Photoshop anyone?
Man314
Posted 2011-01-28 1:49 PM (#78308 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Photoshopped version with black chrome:

(Tips067.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Tips067.jpg (94KB - 2 downloads)
Jump to page : < ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... >
Now viewing page 9 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™