You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Exhaust tips
Jump to page : < ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... >
Now viewing page 11 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

SongFan
Posted 2011-02-01 2:10 PM (#78535 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Visionary

Memphis

Glad you guys are enjoying the pics and video.  Here are some nice pointers courtesy of The Chrome Shop in Rock Island, Il:

Care Guide for your new chrome plated parts:

Chrome Use a good non-abrasive chrome polish. Keep your parts clean, deterioration begins with dirty parts.

Black Chrome With a soft cloth or tissue use a non-abrasive liquid wax or use oil such as baby oil or WD-40.

Gold It is recommended that gold plated parts be coated with a clear powder coating to protect their finish. However, if you do not wish to coat your parts we suggest cleaning your parts with a soft tissue and Windex. Do not rub excessively, gold is very delicate and excessive cleaning can cause discoloration.

Powder Coated Parts Clean with mild soap and water. Do not use abrasives, cleaners or polishes since they can dull the gloss finish.

Care of you polished only parts Polish your polished only parts often, using a polish such as Semichrome or Wenol.

Top of the page Bottom of the page
pollolittle
Posted 2011-02-01 4:14 PM (#78544 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: Re: Custom Exhaust tips

Visionary

Brighton, TN
I know he don't owe you anything, I'm just thinking out loud with my fingers again, with his next fancy doo dad, shiny object, you might be inclined again to take the plunge, all in the sake of testing, that's all. Your probably right, my version of lightly used, finely patina'ed, tips, might be more expensive than i thought. I always liked those, just couldn't figure out how to get it in the penny pig. Now that these have come along, I might have to squeeze the pig.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-01 6:40 PM (#78550 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Iron Butt

Brian, funny you should mention the "next fancy doodad"!  A couple of years ago when I first bought my Vision I realized that with the odd shaped handlebars would make adding something as simple as a cup holder a real challenge!  My solution was to purchase the Victory Ram Ball handlebar clamp adapter, modify it so that it would replicate the Kruzer Caddy mount AND still look good when no cup holder was needed.  The victory accessory part can be found at: 

http://www.purepolaris.com/en-us/Victory/Pages/Detail.aspx?ItemID=2...

Oh, and by the way, the threaded holes are 3/8-16NC so that is the thread size you need to order for the RAM ball that mounts on it, NOT the 10mm thread pitch that is found in the Victory accessory catalog.

Here are a couple of pictures of what it looks like modified to my particular specs:

(Vision drink holder mount, modified.jpg)

(Vision drink holder mount, modified2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Vision drink holder mount, modified.jpg (28KB - 10 downloads)
Attachments Vision drink holder mount, modified2.jpg (31KB - 8 downloads)
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-01 6:45 PM (#78551 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

That part is $25 from Victory and I am seeing if I can get a bulk discount by buying 20 or 30 of them at once. I can modify it, remove the ugly powder coating and have it plated for a fair price (including the modified and polished SS screw) so that others with the same handlebars can have a good looking cup holder as well!
hottierod
Posted 2011-02-02 6:47 AM (#78562 - in reply to #78509)

Tourer

Sturbridge, Mass
pollolittle - 2011-02-01 9:09 AM

Songfan, now just put some oscillating red and yellow LED's in the exhaust tip and wa la afterburners. Or if you really looking for the old school look, drop and igniter in the exhaust tip and light up the exhaust gases.

OOOHHHHH, AAAHHHHHHH!!!

OK, somebody needs to figure out how to do this !!

Do we know when we will be able to order these ?

I am thinking the chrome ones will go best on the Ice Blue 09's ?

These look sharp !!
Prostreet1
Posted 2011-02-02 8:45 AM (#78564 - in reply to #78551)

Cruiser

Allen Park, MI
Travelin Man - 2011-02-01 7:45 PM

That part is $25 from Victory and I am seeing if I can get a bulk discount by buying 20 or 30 of them at once. I can modify it, remove the ugly powder coating and have it plated for a fair price (including the modified and polished SS screw) so that others with the same handlebars can have a good looking cup holder as well!

Count me in....
Nozzledog
Posted 2011-02-02 11:29 PM (#78606 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Rancho Cucamonga, CA
How low does that make the cup sit? I noticed the Kruzer Caddy Vision Mount puts the pivot point above the bars. Does this make a difference?

Back on subject, have you come up with the longer muffler tip design yet? I would love to see one where the center bullet extends past the end and the exhaust ports are flush with the end.
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-03 6:02 PM (#78646 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Darrell,

This mount replaces the stock lower clamp on either the clutch or front brake master cylinder. The way I have machined the mount the cup cannot swivel and is fixed in an upright manner. I'll post some pictures when I finally get back out to the garage and put it on my Vision, right now I'm still trying to get my house and my factory (11 miles away) dug out from over 24 inches of snow, you've probably heard about this snow problem on the news the past few days!
jerrythekingpin
Posted 2011-02-04 8:18 PM (#78708 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

milwaukee wisconsin
those are very nice looking but look very restrictive also !!
Man314
Posted 2011-02-05 1:04 PM (#78747 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Well, I just sent a request for quote to Advanced Plating to see about getting some of my other components plated in the Nickel Black Chrome. I have a black bike and I think the Black Chrome would look awesome in mare quantities than just the exhaust tips. Damnit Travlin Man, look what you started.
VaParadox
Posted 2011-02-05 9:40 PM (#78771 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
Still waiting for a photo of a chrome set with black bullets. then i can make my decision
Cometman
Posted 2011-02-07 5:25 PM (#78905 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Waiting somewhat patiently..... Are they in yet?
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-07 7:43 PM (#78921 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Guys, it's still going to be a week or two I suppose, perhaps someone here can use photoshop and combine the pictures I took of the chrome tips with the pictures Songfan posted of the black nickel tips?
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-07 7:47 PM (#78922 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Jerry, believe me, they only look more restrictive, the volume they flow is still greater than the stock tips and the total area of the openings is greater than the muffler opening on any of the exhaust mufflers where you can still mount the stock or Gatlin tips. The resonance of the exhaust tone is changed somewhat but I feel it is more towards the performance end.
Man314
Posted 2011-02-09 5:11 PM (#79057 - in reply to #78922)

Tourer

Got a quote from Advanced Plating for black nickel a variety of parts. Think he thought I wanted to custom make them vs. just plate them! ~$5400 for all I wanted to do. Here is the breakdown:

Mr. Niccum,
The following prices are ballpark estimates for black nickel plating. Firm prices can only be given once we receive the parts for inspection.
Black nickel is not as durable as bright chrome and will scratch easier. On areas that get a lot of rubbing or need cleaning often it may be a good idea to have a automotive clear sprayed on.
r&l leg faring - apx $575.00 each
rh pulley cover - apx 185.00
R&L exhaust shield "b" apx - $255.00 each
rear trunk badge - apx $160.00
rear lock trim - apx $65.00
front v access panel - apx $875.00
instrument cluster bezel - apx $275.00
console cover - apx $275.00
primary cover - apx $335.00
lh exhaust shield (14 x 7 ) apx $145.00
lh&rh seat panel - apx $185.00
wheels - apx $650.00 each
Thank you
Tom Sullivan
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-09 6:19 PM (#79058 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mark, I have spoke to and have been dealing with Steve Tracy, the owner of Advanced Plating. I asked him about the durability of the Black Nickel plating and he informed me that it was just as durable as any other nickel plating. While not as hard as chrome (he told me that chrome is actually a clear plating over polished nickel and the nickel is what is shiny, the chrome is what adds a bluish tint to the nickel and protects it) it is still much more durable than powder coating. When asked directly about the application of the center bullet in his opinion Steve stated that black nickel was the way to go as powder coating wouldn't stand up to the exhaust heat and regular chrome would require constant cleaning to maintain the look.

On another note, man why not just strip the bike and let them dip the whole thing, there aren't too many more, if any at all, parts that you want to get make black..... wait, you forgot about the rocker box covers and the gear and brake levers! LOL You just gotta love someone with a Vision of what they want!
Man314
Posted 2011-02-10 11:22 AM (#79079 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Yeah, I thought if I was going to have them quote, I might as well have them quote all possible pieces. I have no familiarity with chrome shop pricing, but these prices shocked me. Those of you with experience in chrome pricing, pls chime in on whether you think these prices are too high. I know they are budgetary, but it is scaring me off of even pursuing. If these prices are normal for industry I'll have to rethink my approach. Thoughts?
nohawg
Posted 2011-02-10 2:15 PM (#79099 - in reply to #79058)

Cruiser

Fargo, ND

Travelin Man - 2011-02-09 5:19 PM Mark, (Snip) When asked directly about the application of the center bullet in his opinion Steve stated that black nickel was the way to go as powder coating wouldn't stand up to the exhaust heat and regular chrome would require constant cleaning to maintain the look. (Snip)

Not true.  As a powder coater, I can tell you powder coating will hold up everywhere except on the crossover or anything ahead of the mufflers (the actual head pipes).  Even the heat shields can be done in standard powder. The tips never get hot enough to damage powder.  I coated the entire muffler after the Atom Bomb conversion to prevent rusting where they were welded and the center of my Gatlin tips in flat black powder over 2 years and 16,000 miles ago, and they still look great.  Plus, I don't have to clean them all the time.

But I digress.  Back to the discussion of your fine-looking custom tips.

Edited by nohawg 2011-02-10 2:17 PM
thenuz
Posted 2011-02-11 5:24 PM (#79137 - in reply to #79099)

Puddle Jumper

Basehor, Ks.
Travelin man-can you PLEASE inform as to cost and ordering procedures? I seem to have been unable to locate in posts. Thanks Allen(thenuz)
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-12 10:49 AM (#79164 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

I currently have all the tips out for plating, either in Jet Black Nickel or chrome. I should have them all back and ready to ship to customers in a couple of weeks.

There will be 3 choices available:

1) Base and center bullet in straight chrome: $260.00 with all discounts applied

2) Base and center bullet in jet black nickel: $290.00 with all discounts applied

3) Base in straight chrome and center bullet in jet black nickel (highly recommended choice): $270.00 with all discounts applied

All choices are plus shipping (6 pounds f.o.b. Richmond, IL)

Payment is either via PayPal via personal check (shipping on all personal checks is held until check clears, usually 3 to 5 business days).

My business email is mrwizardsbilletcreations@comcast.net and that is the address that PayPal payments are sent to.

My website should be up and running by the end of March and it's address is www.mrwizardsbilletcreations.com
Cometman
Posted 2011-02-16 5:40 PM (#79523 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
Still waiting.......
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-16 8:26 PM (#79543 - in reply to #79523)

Iron Butt

As am I! 
Man314
Posted 2011-02-18 9:29 AM (#79670 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Still don't know how to pay you via PayPal and I would hope to have my tips in my hands before the end of March. I do have paypal account. I have switched back and forth in my head on finishes. I have finally decided on normal chrome with black chrome tips. If the black chrome were less expensive I would have done my shields to match . . . I'll save this money for my next set of tires.

Pls advise how I can pay for my tips (including shipping costs) and what the newest estimated day of shipping is. I'm now trying to figure out best way of doing the Thrush mod with these tips. Thx!

Edited by Man314 2011-02-18 9:33 AM
VaParadox
Posted 2011-02-23 4:56 PM (#80162 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Richmond, Virginia
God i feel like a broken record......so this is my final pre-apology PHOTO of chrome with black bullet???????
Im sitting on a payment waiting to see......
thanks in advance for your not shaking your head thinking "crap not again"
Travelin Man
Posted 2011-02-23 9:45 PM (#80179 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Mac, the big mistake was mine! When I got the first, and so far only, set of jet black nickel tips I should have taken the bullets from them and put them on the chrome bases that I also had on hand and take a few pictures of them. As of today I talked to both plating companies and they both said that they should be shipping me the bases and tips (in both chrome and black nickel) on Friday and on Monday, give it a couple of days for shipping back to me and for my inspection and packaging them up in the desired combinations and we are looking at shipping out all paid orders on Friday (hopefully.....).

Jump to page : < ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... >
Now viewing page 11 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™