You are currently not logged in.  Logon or register to access more features. Vision-Riders.com is a FREE service provided by Victory Riders Network.

Search:

Custom Exhaust tips
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Discussion -> Victory General DiscussionMessage format

Travelin Man
Posted 2010-04-11 2:51 PM (#57232 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: Re: Custom Exhaust tips

Iron Butt

Rick, I've got the material cut for the prototypes and I'm just waiting for an opening in my cnc lathe production schedule (I manufacture industrial cutting tools for the the engineered wood products industry) and I'll be getting them done, the time in producing the first parts will be in tooling the setups and once that is done the actual production of parts for finishing will go quickly, so please bear with us on this.

Trust me, they will be worth the wait along with the custom trunk rack that I am also in the process of designing.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Jim Millington
Posted 2010-04-11 5:27 PM (#57243 - in reply to #55748)
Subject: RE: Custom Exhaust tips

Cruiser

Cold Lake Alberta Canada
I can hardly wait, these look awsome.
Teach
Posted 2010-04-11 8:03 PM (#57253 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

I like it as well so you could count me in...... T

ps... You'll get braggin rights as this is the FIRST part for the Vision I have seen that made me say " I gotta have that."

Edited by Teach 2010-04-11 8:04 PM
ScoreBo
Posted 2010-04-12 11:27 AM (#57301 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Northeast Ohio
Count me in for sure.
Big six
Posted 2010-04-14 8:05 PM (#57516 - in reply to #55748)

Puddle Jumper

In love love love llll
Travelin Man
Posted 2010-04-17 10:08 PM (#57800 - in reply to #55748)

Iron Butt

Rick, I'm simply waiting for a slot to open up in my cnc lathe (orders of my regular products have more then doubled in the past two months, thank God!), once I get an opening I will produce the prototypes and test the fit (I'll post pictures) and then send them out for powder coat and chroming. I'm planning on an initial production run of 40 sets and from the looks of it I'll be able to keep the price right in line with the Victory Gatlin tips. I just spent $5000 on new software (BobCAD-CAM V23 mill/lathe/art) that should make it a little easier to design and produce accessories for not just the Vision but ANY motorcycle, and even bring down the cost of doing custom "one-offs"!s
rikrok
Posted 2010-04-18 7:36 AM (#57814 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Thanks for the update bro.
Big six
Posted 2010-04-18 7:55 AM (#57816 - in reply to #57800)

Puddle Jumper

I can hardly wait and waiting waiting keep the price right an waiting
Big six
Posted 2010-04-18 7:55 AM (#57817 - in reply to #57800)

Puddle Jumper

I can hardly wait and waiting waiting keep the price right an waiting
Cometman
Posted 2010-04-20 12:14 PM (#57995 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Simi Valley, CA
I want I want I want
Prime Power
Posted 2010-04-20 7:22 PM (#58024 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Looking forward to the trunk rack at a reasonable cost.
SongFan
Posted 2010-04-27 12:35 PM (#58470 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Memphis
Bump.  Keeping this on the front burner.
Jim
Posted 2010-04-27 1:51 PM (#58474 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Saskatchewan (hard to say, easy to draw )
Songfan, thanks for bringing this to the front...I'd have missed it! So glad I didn't get the Gattlin tips or offer to buy Varyers (did ya sell 'em yet?). Was even thinking of the tailgunners (was really thinking of those!) but this is good. Keep us in the know please for available date, order info and $$$.
sgiacci
Posted 2010-04-27 3:38 PM (#58489 - in reply to #55912)

Tourer

Bluto - 2010-03-29 8:31 AM

Here is a view from the "other" side. Travelin Man already discussed the diversion of the gasses with the center cone and cross sectional flow area greater than the stock set up. It will not be as open as the Gatlin tips but there is still more than the exhaust headers themselves.

?

Looks really good, but I see a possible problem. The rear diverter cone and openings don't look aggressive enough to prevent a concussive sound wave from being pushed back into the muffler. Even though your openings have an area greater than the existing opening, that wave could actually slow the expulsion of the gases.
Man314
Posted 2010-04-27 6:31 PM (#58514 - in reply to #55748)

Tourer

Spirit Lake IA "Birthplace of Victory Motorcycles"
Oh, yeah! Me likey! How soon can we get our hands on a set??
Bluto
Posted 2010-04-28 7:16 AM (#58553 - in reply to #58489)

Cruiser

McHenry, IL
sgiacci - 2010-04-27 3:38 PM

Looks really good, but I see a possible problem. The rear diverter cone and openings don't look aggressive enough to prevent a concussive sound wave from being pushed back into the muffler. Even though your openings have an area greater than the existing opening, that wave could actually slow the expulsion of the gases.

We'll have to see once we get the first set cut. I did run a fluid flow simulation on the model and everything looked okay but there were a lot of assumptions I had to make since I did not model the entire exhaust system. Hoping to get some machine time later this week to cut the first set. Backpressure isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially on a low rev, high torque engine.

Thanks for your your input!
sgiacci
Posted 2010-04-28 3:34 PM (#58594 - in reply to #58553)

Tourer

Bluto - 2010-04-28 7:16 AM

sgiacci - 2010-04-27 3:38 PM

We'll have to see once we get the first set cut. I did run a fluid flow simulation on the model and everything looked okay but there were a lot of assumptions I had to make since I did not model the entire exhaust system. Hoping to get some machine time later this week to cut the first set. Backpressure isn't necessarily a bad thing, especially on a low rev, high torque engine.

Thanks for your your input!

Back pressure or flow isn't what I'm concerned for you here. That wave I'm referring to is like a shock wave (engines are just controlled explosions), and if left unmanaged it could send added force (not pressure) back through the pipes. Shock waves do not act like fluids and gases, in that they reflect and bounce, versus compress, expand and reroute.

If conditions are right (or bad), you could bend some valves. At the risk of being rude I will repeat myself ? you could bend some valves.

So what is the solution: - I expect a deep discount when I buy a set for this information

Since you are blocking the primary outlet with a cone you need to consider the angle of incidence (reflectivity), and make it so great that you only send a tiny wave back up into the pipe.

Example:
If the inner cone is longer and more gradual (like the outer one) you would likely reduce this risk, because the angle of incidence would be greater.

The irony here is that the "look" you are trying to achieve is a design to solve this same issue in real jet engines.

Good luck?

Edited by sgiacci 2010-04-28 3:36 PM
VisionTex
Posted 2010-04-28 4:13 PM (#58599 - in reply to #58594)

Visionary

LaPorte,Tx.
The Flux Capacitor will hinder or stop any chance of bent valves!
SongFan
Posted 2010-04-28 6:00 PM (#58606 - in reply to #55748)

Visionary

Memphis
Photobucket
texasgrumpy
Posted 2010-04-28 6:48 PM (#58607 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

That is BAD ASS !!!!!!!!
Jim
Posted 2010-04-28 7:08 PM (#58608 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

And the dilithium crystals will be f*'d Captain? I love it and thanks to all! Combustion vs. detonation! Shock and Awe and pressure.... Where is Candubrain on this?!?
Jim
Posted 2010-04-28 7:08 PM (#58609 - in reply to #55748)

Cruiser

Double tapped....sorry!

Edited by Jim 2010-04-28 7:10 PM
Bluto
Posted 2010-04-29 7:54 AM (#58667 - in reply to #58594)

Cruiser

McHenry, IL
sgiacci - 2010-04-28 3:34 PM

Back pressure or flow isn't what I'm concerned for you here. That wave I'm referring to is like a shock wave (engines are just controlled explosions), and if left unmanaged it could send added force (not pressure) back through the pipes. Shock waves do not act like fluids and gases, in that they reflect and bounce, versus compress, expand and reroute.

If conditions are right (or bad), you could bend some valves. At the risk of being rude I will repeat myself ? you could bend some valves.

So what is the solution: - I expect a deep discount when I buy a set for this information

Since you are blocking the primary outlet with a cone you need to consider the angle of incidence (reflectivity), and make it so great that you only send a tiny wave back up into the pipe.

Example:
If the inner cone is longer and more gradual (like the outer one) you would likely reduce this risk, because the angle of incidence would be greater.

The irony here is that the "look" you are trying to achieve is a design to solve this same issue in real jet engines.

Good luck?

Thanks for your thoughts. My original design (sketched by hand) had a longer, radiused cone but did not make it into the model. My concern with lengthening the cone (to make it steeper) is it will be located closer to the exhaust tube and act like a conical valve of sorts.

Have you ever looked at the baffle system used by V&H? The Quiet baffles are glass wrapped and have a solid, flat front end to them. There's another exhaust company (CRS, can't remembler the name off the top of my head) that uses stacked plates (with a solid end cap) to adjust the back pressure. I understand what your concerns are and appreciate the feedback (how else can a design evolve). Just because others do it, does not make it right. Any ideas on how to evaluate/measure to ensure this is not happening? I have never designed a jet engine but do design blast resistance structures and "hardening" retrofits for military and petro chemical applications so I have a decent understanding of wave propogation dynamics.

PS as to the "at the risk of being rude" comment, LOL! I'm an engineer, I don't have feelings, just ask my wife!
Bluto
Posted 2010-04-29 7:55 AM (#58668 - in reply to #58606)

Cruiser

McHenry, IL
NICE! LOL! We are a different bunch, aren't we?

SongFan - 2010-04-28 6:00 PM

Photobucket
Prostreet1
Posted 2010-04-29 10:23 AM (#58680 - in reply to #58667)

Cruiser

Allen Park, MI
Bluto - 2010-04-29 8:54 AM

There's another exhaust company (CRS, can't remembler the name off the top of my head) that uses stacked plates (with a solid end cap) to adjust the back pressure.

Hey Jim...I think you may have been thinking of SuperTrapp.... You could adjust tone and back pressure by adding or removing plates.

Coop
Jump to page : < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... >
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

Copyright © 2007-2024 Victory Riders Network™